Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

It is done. :toot:

Since when did you turn into a slimeball rear end in a top hat? :mad:

(I kid, congrats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Time to start talking about the "little old lady from Kawaguchi".

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

IOwnCalculus posted:

Since when did you turn into a slimeball rear end in a top hat? :mad:

(I kid, congrats)

he is wearing a V neck, never trust a dealer in a V neck shirt.

Also Yoshi called last night and told me about that AZ-1 it was leaking out of the transmission and also leaking oil, so i passed on the bid.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

wargames posted:

he is wearing a V neck, never trust a dealer in a V neck shirt.

Needs more chest hair coming out of it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

And a gold chain.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just not cool enough to be that sleezy :(

Have titles for everything in the warehouse now, so we're truly 100% done. Now we just gotta see if we gently caress up super bad!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm not bidding on them but these sure do look neat:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Back in the Acty game :c00l:

1993 Honda Acty Street G kei van. 5 speed manual, 2WD, 114000 km and AC. Issues are the right rear sliding door doesn't open from the outside or inside and the AC isn't working. Assuming the mechanism on the door itself is messed up if both handles aren't working and for the AC who knows.
I spent $670 on this at auction which was a surprise to everyone.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Back in the Acty game :c00l:

1993 Honda Acty Street G kei van. 5 speed manual, 2WD, 114000 km and AC. Issues are the right rear sliding door doesn't open from the outside or inside and the AC isn't working. Assuming the mechanism on the door itself is messed up if both handles aren't working and for the AC who knows.
I spent $670 on this at auction which was a surprise to everyone.

You stole that one man I have lost some Actys with double or triple that bid

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Are there any resources on which JDM cars have LHD headlight assembly options or potentially share headlight assemblies with some other LHD car (is this even a thing)?

In BC and other Canadian provinces you need to have headlights with DoT markings on them or correct equivalent that shows its a LHD light assembly. It's not enough to fiddle with the JDM headlight and ensure that the beam is not a RHD one that is going to blind people.

With some cars such as Delicas and Jimnys, it is possible to find LHD versions, so you can buy these LHD lights (my Delica has lights from the Netherlands), but with some cars that were never released outside of Japan I wonder if it's possible to find LHD lights anywhere. The only possibility I could think of would be if the car manufacturer used the exact same head light assembly on some other car that was released in a LHD market but I don't know if that's a thing at all.

How should I go about tracking this down? I got started thinking about this because I was looking at Paos and Be-1s and thinking that their lights looked awfully generic, and I thought maybe Nissan just re-used the headlight assembly from some other econobox. It'd be great if I could import a Be1 and use the assembly from some other car.

Next week I might call around some of the import shops around here and see if they know anything. I've seen plenty of Figaros around so either folks are ignoring the rules or there's some useable headlight assembly out there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if you can just swap sides on the Figaro. Those might be symmetrical.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

Are there any resources on which JDM cars have LHD headlight assembly options or potentially share headlight assemblies with some other LHD car (is this even a thing)?

In BC and other Canadian provinces you need to have headlights with DoT markings on them or correct equivalent that shows its a LHD light assembly. It's not enough to fiddle with the JDM headlight and ensure that the beam is not a RHD one that is going to blind people.

With some cars such as Delicas and Jimnys, it is possible to find LHD versions, so you can buy these LHD lights (my Delica has lights from the Netherlands), but with some cars that were never released outside of Japan I wonder if it's possible to find LHD lights anywhere. The only possibility I could think of would be if the car manufacturer used the exact same head light assembly on some other car that was released in a LHD market but I don't know if that's a thing at all.

How should I go about tracking this down? I got started thinking about this because I was looking at Paos and Be-1s and thinking that their lights looked awfully generic, and I thought maybe Nissan just re-used the headlight assembly from some other econobox. It'd be great if I could import a Be1 and use the assembly from some other car.

Next week I might call around some of the import shops around here and see if they know anything. I've seen plenty of Figaros around so either folks are ignoring the rules or there's some useable headlight assembly out there.

Using the parts websites you can track down the part number for the Figaro headlamps. From there you can take the part number and just pop in 'Nissan (part number here' and see where it takes you. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the lens assembly was used in anything besides the Figaro. They aren't sealed beams which is nice, but the part number only seems to point to the Figaro, which means no LHD version. This is just a 10~ minute search though so I might be way wrong. Also not symmetrical.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I've been quiet bc I need to sell the Majesta and get the Land Cruiser taken care of before I buy any more cars. Still waiting on the drat title to the Majesta.

Land Cruiser will be at port November 4th now. A quick call to my customs guy and he got it cleared in an hour so, no scare of a homeland security fine like last time.

With the export certificate I am thinking this has probably a total of 180k km, so for those playing along at home that is less than 115k miles.

Will post pics once it is in my driveway.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

you are going to have a bad time with Oregon DMV. Be prepared to fight/lawyer up to get them to register it. I have heard people saying they are even having trouble getting the Vans registered.

drat I was interested in this. Is it Oregon-wide or just near the city?

In related news I bought my first salvage auction car today. 55k miles and $0 import fee :hellyeah:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:toot:
Finally scored a good OEM-condition convertible Jimny with AC, with the original bumpers and nothing drilled into the rear.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Just landed in Japan. Lost my poo poo walking to my hotel , way way way too many cool nuggets . Will update with pics over the next 3 weeks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Just landed in Japan. Lost my poo poo walking to my hotel , way way way too many cool nuggets . Will update with pics over the next 3 weeks.
Where are you staying/visiting?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Interested too - planning a trip in the next 6 months. Was going to go right after Christmas but may be too cold?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Depends on what you want to do. I'm going back in April for 14 days.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Depends on what you want to do. I'm going back in April for 14 days.

I am not really into "Japan" like a lot of people, but I have a Japanese friend who is a musician DJ so probably hang with him a night or two - want to see car stuff - heard about the Honda museum. I would also like to go to that crazy busy part of Tokyo I like to be in a crowd and people watch. Maybe eat some killer sushi? Other than that just get drunk.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

everdave posted:

Interested too - planning a trip in the next 6 months. Was going to go right after Christmas but may be too cold?

I was there for two weeks starting Christmas last year, for family stuff. It's pretty mild weather overall depending on what you're used to (it was more pleasant than being home in NYC, for example, with temps around Tokyo in the 40s) but note that New Years is their big family holiday there. It's sort of like Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled into one, with lots of family time and things like that - everyone goes back home, so travel to Japan is super expensive around then. Shrines will be suuuuper busy the first week of the year if you were planning to do any of that, which is a fun experience in itself, but the overall vibe of everything (besides aforementioned shrines, which are chaos) will be a lot more chill with some places closed or closing early many days simply because it's a time for family.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

tween_spirit posted:

I was there for two weeks starting Christmas last year, for family stuff. It's pretty mild weather overall depending on what you're used to (it was more pleasant than being home in NYC, for example, with temps around Tokyo in the 40s) but note that New Years is their big family holiday there. It's sort of like Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled into one, with lots of family time and things like that - everyone goes back home, so travel to Japan is super expensive around then. Shrines will be suuuuper busy the first week of the year if you were planning to do any of that, which is a fun experience in itself, but the overall vibe of everything (besides aforementioned shrines, which are chaos) will be a lot more chill with some places closed or closing early many days simply because it's a time for family.

Good info, I will be traveling on points, and there is no specific reason for me to go after Christmas except I will have the kids a week and then ex will probably have them Christmas to new years, and I usually don't have that many days to travel on my own. Anyone recommend a specific time? Would March be better?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

InitialDave posted:

Flying up to Sapporo today, hanging out up there for 4-5 days, slowly heading south to Kyoto to hang around there for a week, then staying in Tokyo for a week. Gonna meet up with all the jcd guys one night. Only real car stuff I'm doing is visiting Nissan/Nismo, STi, and going to an UP garage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Flying up to Sapporo today, hanging out up there for 4-5 days, slowly heading south to Kyoto to hang around there for a week, then staying in Tokyo for a week. Gonna meet up with all the jcd guys one night. Only real car stuff I'm doing is visiting Nissan/Nismo, STi, and going to an UP garage.
If you're in Sapporo, I'd say try to do the beer museum and have a look around, followed by a meal in the bier garten (all you can eat/drink option, of course). Also go out to Yoichi to the Nikka whisky distillery, that's a nice afternoon out. Now, depending what your plan is for going south, see if you can go spend some time in Hakodate - it's about 4.5hrs by train from Sapporo, but if you're taking the shinkansen south, the station you have to go to to pick it up from is in that area anyway, and it's well worth a day or two there if you can.

Kyoto you'll find plenty to do with yourself with the tourism stuff however you cut it, same in Tokyo to be honest, but if you want to add in some more car bits, do yourself a MariCar tour, maybe hire something interesting from Omishiro (they have a Jimny!) or Fun2Drive, or grab yourself some model kits etc.

UpGarage, maybe go to a couple if you're looking for stuff, the nature of the stores means they all have different things. However, if you're only going to go to one, just to say you've seen one, the one just south of Nerima Takanodai station has an Astro products next door, which is kind of like the Japanese Harbor Freight.

Oh, depending which route you take between Kyoto and Tokyo, a stop at Hamamatsu to visit Suzuki's small museum is a worthwhile break in the journey.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

everdave posted:

Good info, I will be traveling on points, and there is no specific reason for me to go after Christmas except I will have the kids a week and then ex will probably have them Christmas to new years, and I usually don't have that many days to travel on my own. Anyone recommend a specific time? Would March be better?

March still probably be chilly but not bad - if you are there later in the month (IIRC) can try to catch cherry blossoms depending on latitude. March is also the end/beginning of the school and fiscal years so travel around then might be a bit tighter? Can't remember.

Late May is a time I often recommend for visiting Japan as it is starting to warm up and there are no holidays, etc so stuff is less crowded. Or you could go later in summer - lots of nice beaches and I just love the overall vibe of summertime in Japan.

It's also worthwhile to time a trip around certain festivals (esp local ones, so you only have to put up with crowds for part of the trip) or times of year. The 'Do you know Japan has 4 seasons?' you often get from Japanese people is a bit of a meme among foreign residents but it actually does change quite noticably from season to season and each is worth experiencing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

I am not really into "Japan" like a lot of people, but I have a Japanese friend who is a musician DJ so probably hang with him a night or two - want to see car stuff - heard about the Honda museum. I would also like to go to that crazy busy part of Tokyo I like to be in a crowd and people watch. Maybe eat some killer sushi? Other than that just get drunk.
I like September/October myself, but Ethics Gradient makes good points.

How much time are you looking to spend in Japan in total, and were you after staying in one place or travelling about? The rail pass is really great value if you want/are able to make use of it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Probably only 4-5 full days outside of arrival and departure days

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

I like September/October myself, but Ethics Gradient makes good points.

How much time are you looking to spend in Japan in total, and were you after staying in one place or travelling about? The rail pass is really great value if you want/are able to make use of it.

if youre staying in the tokyo area it is far better to just get the daily subway passes over a jr pass. we used a suica and came out cheaper than a jr pass, but it'd have come out cheap af to use the passes, if we knew about them

this site has a decent guide
https://thecupandtheroad.com/2016/09/26/tokyo-subway-day-pass-ticket/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

Probably only 4-5 full days outside of arrival and departure days
Ok, right, in that case, I'd say stick to Tokyo, and if you want to do car stuff:
Hire a car from Omoshiro Rentacar and rip around some mountain roads drive carefully within the speed limit on open, safe routes for a day.
Visit the Toyota Megaweb - the new car stuff is a bit meh, but the classics stuff in the shopping centre is sweet.
Have a look around model shops in Akihabara* then take the longer MariCar evening kart tour.
Go to car parts stores.
Have a day out to Gunma and visit Mt Akina Haruna, have lunch at D'z Garage
Play an absolute shitload of the Inital D arcade game.

BlackMK4 posted:

if youre staying in the tokyo area it is far better to just get the daily subway passes over a jr pass. we used a suica and came out cheaper than a jr pass, but it'd have come out cheap af to use the passes, if we knew about them
Absolutely, for that kind of time period and in Tokyo alone, do this.

*If you like RC, unfortunately the fantastic RC Champ have closed their physical store, but Super Rajikon to the north east of the Akihabara station are great and their already low prices get the tax off for foreigners.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sounds good - yes probably 100% just going to stick to Tokyo thanks y’all

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yeah, if you plan on renting from Omoshiro and you want to go somewhere a little further out (Mt Haruna, Ebisu, Motegi, Fuji Speedway, Hakone, etc) I'd recommend renting a keicar (Honda S660B) for that trip. It cuts down heavily on the tolls you'll be paying and gas is expensive over there. Most of the stuff you'll want to drive gets poo poo gas mileage and requires premium ($$$).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I disagree, hire what you want to hire. That may indeed be a kei, but if not, meh, go for it. Don't fly 6000 miles just to get all :ohdear: about fuel economy, particularly if you really want to try something that happens to like a drink.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fair point :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought MariCar is finally getting sued to death by Nintendo?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought MariCar is finally getting sued to death by Nintendo?

Hasn't stopped them from operating! :v:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Japan is the weirdest mix of giant gently caress off poison spiders, and Evo 8 taxi cabs. Also, Toto's are the best, fight me if you don't agree.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
it is super nice that you can drop a turd anywhere and not have to worry about fingering your butthole by accident or having to walk around with an rear end itch from sandpaper

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Didn't buy this OR get the sheet translated but

Sold for 610,000 yen, $5389.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
My brain read the badging on the back as "CAAR"

slothrop fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

it is super nice that you can drop a turd anywhere and not have to worry about fingering your butthole by accident or having to walk around with an rear end itch from sandpaper

Don't encourage street making GBS threads, my friend.