Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Malt posted:

Virginia. She wants something smaller I think. She linked me some of the cars she was looking at, Honda Fit, Mini Copper, and a Chevy Spark all of which seemed on the smaller end.

In my opinion a larger Sedan would be way better with than many miles per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

euphronius posted:

In my opinion a larger Sedan would be way better with than many miles per month.

I don't think you need to go above current compact class if you prefer a smaller car, but subcompacts are not going to be ideal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think you need to go above current compact class if you prefer a smaller car, but subcompacts are not going to be ideal.

Yeah

I meant larger than subcompact

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Virtual Captain posted:

I took you for more of a VW guy :mmmsmug:

gently caress no. I hate VW's ever since a 1982 Rabbit nearly killed me dead.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Can I get two carseats in the back of a Stinger?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Can I get two carseats in the back of a Stinger?

Yep. No issues at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ooo easy access car seat anchors. Look at that.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

euphronius posted:

Ooo easy access car seat anchors. Look at that.

Yeah, Kia did this thing right.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

zapplez posted:

The mini is very very expensive to maintain and fix {think BMW parts). The chev spark is nearly one of the worst of its class as well.

My recommendation is to get a compact car over a subcompact like the Fit, assuming she is as comfortable driving this size. It will keep its utility for longer and be much more comfortable if you do have passengers in the vehicle. Also its not that much more money. Anyways, here are cars I'd consider if I was in your shoes, all of them are reliable and well rated choices.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/751078493/overview/
2016 Civic

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/749929966/overview/
2015 Corolla

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/751434401/overview/
2017 Elantra

Seeing some hybrids falling into the same price range as these in our search which seems odd.

What that be worth looking into or would it be better to stick with something along these lines?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malt posted:

Seeing some hybrids falling into the same price range as these in our search which seems odd.

What that be worth looking into or would it be better to stick with something along these lines?

What year and what brand? I'd avoid older honda hybrids and nissans period.

Camry hybrid or Prius? Jump on board! Those are great choices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You do lose some of the advantage of a hybrid in pure highway driving.

Hybrids that are good: Prius, Camry Hybrid, certain Nissan hybrids that used a Camry drivetrain:
Hybrids that are less good: Ford C-Max, Fusion, etc
Hybrids that are poo poo: Any Honda made before like, last year

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Need recommendation

Current car is a 2008 G37s, 69k miles. I obviously don't drive much and it's been fun enough to own but I'm tired of a manual in city traffic and also not being able to (easily) haul anything larger than a tall kitchen trashbag without popping the trunk.

Proposed Budget: $0-$80K
New or Used: Either.
How will you be using the car?: Work commute mostly. Don't (can't) transport large groups but wouldn't mind being able to. No offroading or offroad plans.
What aspects are most important to you?In order: 1) Space 2) Comfort 3) Power 4) Everything Else.
Body Style: Not too interested in a pickup truck but not dismissing it entirely. Sedan, small-mid suv preferable I suppose. Just no more coupes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
$80k? Want to be able to carry things?
You're in line for a Volvo V90, r-design in swedish racing green (aka blue). You have the budget for all the options, plus change.
The best looking car in America.
Volvos also have the best seats, and the T6 makes it actually fairly quick.

Or like a used Acura TSX wagon, but that sounds boring.

Comedy (well slightly more) option is a used CTS-V wagon.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 23, 2018

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tetsuo posted:

Need recommendation

Current car is a 2008 G37s, 69k miles. I obviously don't drive much and it's been fun enough to own but I'm tired of a manual in city traffic and also not being able to (easily) haul anything larger than a tall kitchen trashbag without popping the trunk.

Proposed Budget: $0-$80K
New or Used: Either.
How will you be using the car?: Work commute mostly. Don't (can't) transport large groups but wouldn't mind being able to. No offroading or offroad plans.
What aspects are most important to you?In order: 1) Space 2) Comfort 3) Power 4) Everything Else.
Body Style: Not too interested in a pickup truck but not dismissing it entirely. Sedan, small-mid suv preferable I suppose. Just no more coupes.

Going to need more info to make a decent recommendation. The first item on your list is space, but then you say sedan to mid size suv. Can you give us more to work with?

Get a Jaguar F-Pace

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

skipdogg posted:

Going to need more info to make a decent recommendation. The first item on your list is space, but then you say sedan to mid size suv. Can you give us more to work with?

Get a Jaguar F-Pace

Jag makes a wagon, buy that.

I mean, I'm going a bit AI here, but nothing OP has posted tells me he should get a CUV over one of surprisingly many nice wagons (well, like 4. V60 polestar, e class, v90, jag wagon thing) in his price range. Wagons do basically everything on road that doesn't need towing better (and most CUVs suck at towing).
They also give you instant car guy cred, while everyone else thinks you're insane, and who wouldn't want that?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you have 80 grand to spend you absolutely should be considering E-class, S-class (YES YES YES) and GLE / GLS suv. Go to the benz dealer. You will not regret it.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

skipdogg posted:

While I don't need the space of an econoline rape van I definitely need more space than my current car affords.

Sedan to Mid-size suv seemed like the right range to say for the amount of space I'm looking for. It's the most important item in terms of why I'm looking to get something new not that pure cubic footage is always going to win out.

Also no wagons.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What about a G wagon lol

nm
Jan 28, 2008

tetsuo posted:

Also no wagons.
Sorry you're lame.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Seconding the Volvo.

Slightly cheaper? Uh... VW Tiguan? Or equivalent Audi Qwhatever?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Usable space in a sedan without having to pop the trunk is going to be hard

The difference in usable space between a sedan and an equivalent CUV is massive

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

skipdogg posted:

Get a Jaguar F-Pace

My SO has a 2018 F-Pace model S.

We tried all the "luxury" SUVs. BMW's are driven by arrogant twats around here, so we skipped them. No Mercedes because everything is an option from the drat wind shield wipers to the seats and to get something nice similar to the F-Pace you were deep into the 90k range. The Landrovers just were blah and suffer from serious reliability issues (which is weird because Jags are mostly the same thing now that Tata owns them both). The Alfa Romero Stelvio was small (More like the E-Pace). The Maserati Levanti was nice, but again, small. And lets not mention to compete with HP/TQ and performance of the F-Pace S, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 85k. Optioned up like the F-Pace S, it was drat near 100k.

loving thing is amazing.

She got it in Caesium Blue with the black package. Slick looking ride and VERY comfortable.

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 23, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

EvilMerlin posted:

My SO has a 2018 F-Pace model S.

We tried all the "luxury" SUVs. BMW's are driven by arrogant twats around here, so we skipped them. No Mercedes because everything is an option from the drat wind shield wipers to the seats and to get something nice similar to the F-Pace you were deep into the 90k range. The Landrovers just were blah and suffer from serious reliability issues (which is weird because Jags are mostly the same thing now that Tata owns them both). The Alfa Romero Stelvio was small (More like the E-Pace). The Maserati Levanti was nice, but again, small. And lets not mention to compete with HP/TQ and performance of the F-Pace S, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 85k. Optioned up like the F-Pace S, it was drat near 100k.

loving thing is amazing.

She got it in Caesium Blue with the black package. Slick looking ride and VERY comfortable.

That's a great looking car. I'd love a F-Type, though it would be a bit "British Expat Twat".

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

knox_harrington posted:

That's a great looking car. I'd love a F-Type, though it would be a bit "British Expat Twat".

The good thing about the F-Type is that they are not common. Even more so in Caesium Blue. I don't see a lot of them on the road and unless you know what you are looking at you don't really know they are a Jaguar.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I have a specific car feature question, apologies if this isn’t the right thread. I rented a Volvo XC-90 a couple weeks ago, and their adaptive cruise control/lane assist feature was a real game changer for me in California highway driving. Are there other manufacturers with similar feature sets I should be looking at as I dive into new car research?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

tetsuo posted:

While I don't need the space of an econoline rape van I definitely need more space than my current car affords.

Sedan to Mid-size suv seemed like the right range to say for the amount of space I'm looking for. It's the most important item in terms of why I'm looking to get something new not that pure cubic footage is always going to win out.

Also no wagons.

Ford F-150 Raptor or nothing imho

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

TheWevel posted:

Ford Raptor or nothing imho

The dealer markups on these are insane. Sorry I'm not paying loving 70k++ on a pickup truck. Any more than I would a Mustang or Camaro (anyone who spends more than 30k on a Dodge gets what they deserve).

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I have a specific car feature question, apologies if this isn’t the right thread. I rented a Volvo XC-90 a couple weeks ago, and their adaptive cruise control/lane assist feature was a real game changer for me in California highway driving. Are there other manufacturers with similar feature sets I should be looking at as I dive into new car research?

Many,many manufacturers have adaptive cruise control now. More than half of all the big companies offer it. Its offered on some inexpensive cars now too , like Honda Civics or Hyundai Elantra,etc.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 23, 2018

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I think ACC is the single most underrated new car feature. It's a total game changer, and as soon as you drive a car with stop/go ACC, it feels super clear that it is the future of driving and all new cars should have it, but it'll take a long rear end time for mass adoption. It's a big step towards connecting normal people with 'self driving' features.

Then again there are a lot of people including in AI that never use cruise control even on long drives, and they'd never use it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The Volvo ACC feels especially polished, and it's absolutely my favorite feature on our XC90.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The Volvo ACC feels especially polished, and it's absolutely my favorite feature on our XC90.

Totally agree, and it’s the main reason we’re leaning towards an XC-90 now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

It's a great car, we love ours, and I'd have no hesitation about buying another Volvo.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I just wish in the US they had all of the XC-90's. I had a XC-90 D5 while I was in Iceland for two weeks and it was a great vehicle. Was NOT a fan of the entertainment stack though. Very slow to respond, and seems very antiquated compared to what is currently out there.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Something Offal posted:

Then again there are a lot of people including in AI that never use cruise control even on long drives, and they'd never use it.

The reason I don't use CC much is because my car's CC is not adaptive.

Trying to use CC with an inconsistent flow of traffic is more of a pain in the rear end than not using CC at all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Toyota Corolla rental car I had a few weeks ago had acc. It was a bit jerky though, reminded me of the acc on my dad's 2006 infiniti.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's a great car, we love ours, and I'd have no hesitation about buying another Volvo.

they break, a lot

EvilMerlin posted:

I just wish in the US they had all of the XC-90's. I had a XC-90 D5 while I was in Iceland for two weeks and it was a great vehicle. Was NOT a fan of the entertainment stack though. Very slow to respond, and seems very antiquated compared to what is currently out there.

sweet let me get that dope rear end antiquated powerplant that pollutes a lot because of ????????

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tetsuo posted:

Also no wagons.

Just your budget range is huge, and the number of cars in that range, there are probably 100 different options that meet your budget and requirements which makes it hard to make a recommendation.

Is your car an extension of yourself or your style, or do you see it as an appliance?

You mentioned you want power. How much?

How do you feel about Luxury European cars?

Lease or Purchase ( You don't drive much, leasing might be attractive if you want a newer car and don't plan on keeping it).

If I was in your shoes, these would be my top picks assuming you are purchasing and want to keep the car 5+ years.

Sedans - Lexus GS Not a fan of long term owning BMW, Audi or MB. Domestics don't have anything really compelling in the full size sedan market, though if you want to spend less there are a couple options out there. Honda Accord, Acura sedans, Toyota Avalon and Camry, all good vehicles. New Kia Stinger or Genesis Sedans might be worth taking a look at if you want something different.

SUV - I really like the new Acura RDX on paper. Haven't had a chance to drive one yet. Acura MDX is always a solid choice. We love our Ford Explorer Sport. There's a bunch of options out there in this space.

Semi-comedy option - do what everyone here in Texas does, get an F-150 Platinum.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

skipdogg posted:

Just your budget range is huge, and the number of cars in that range, there are probably 100 different options that meet your budget and requirements which makes it hard to make a recommendation.
Fair enough. $80k is the highest of what i'm willing to go for, should an option at that price point just crush all the others below it. Answers inline.

quote:

Is your car an extension of yourself or your style, or do you see it as an appliance? I guess I lean towards extension. I don't care about a badge on the front so much, i.e. "ooh look at me I drive an xyz", but also no wagons. Single, no family, no plan on one soon.

You mentioned you want power. How much?Enough to haul rear end. 325+ preferable..

How do you feel about Luxury European cars?They're cool. The e60 550i was gorgeous.

Lease or Purchase ( You don't drive much, leasing might be attractive if you want a newer car and don't plan on keeping it).I prefer ownership and don't look to upgrade often.

Thanks for the suggestions (everyone else too).

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 23, 2018

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
What about a Porsche Macan S or an Audi SQ5? Both start well below $80k, have plenty of power and are a big upgrade in terms of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

tetsuo posted:

Fair enough. $80k is the highest of what i'm willing to go for, should an option at that price point just crush all the others below it. Answers inline.

Thanks for the suggestions (everyone else too).

I know you said no coupes, but the Audi S5 hatchback holds more than my old Acura TSX sedan. 360 hp, and with all the desirable options can be had for 62-65k.