Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

https://youtu.be/GAOPhWzfiN0?t=70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

goddamn i haven't actually seen this clip in ages

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What is he saying? I cant tell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What is he saying? I cant tell.

"Get out (in?) the ring, human being"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So with the news from the latest Observer Newsletter that FOX is telling WWE to make Smackdown more legitimate (from an in ring perspective), there are some fans freaking out about it and complaining.

Including writing long rear end diatribes that hurt my head trying to figure out what they are saying:

quote:

Nope. Comedy is not the problem. A lost element of the enlivened spirit that once was the trademark of World Wrestling Entertainment is the problem.

I'm stressing this right now that if they make the shows any more boring and uninspired and focused on "athleticism" they are going to dive headlong into stagnancy. This isn't the proper market. American pro wrestling is a style that is supposed to come off looking larger than life. It is dynamic, it is colorful and at times downright ridiculous, and that is the way we have known it most of our lives.

As usual, you get these desk goalie TV execs that shine their cabooses on a leather office seat who've never ran or likely watched a wrestling company in their entire life telling the industry what they think wrestling should be. There is no need to throw away the blueprint altogether, only tweak & intensify the inner workings of the design.

I'm not a fool, don't redefine to me as a viewer what a sport is. The ring action itself is a physical stageplay with many particular and regional styles interwined with hysterical commentary that assists in explaining a chapter in the art's story. If you only buy it as a sport, you're ignoring the whole scape of the entertainment factor.

Of course there are other quotes as well.

quote:

Smackdown is already booked like that and getting lowest ratings ever.
What wwe needs is entertaining characters and storylines not boring long matches only smark tryhards pretend to like.

quote:

Yeah because the NJPW model has a proven track record of being hugely successful in the Western market... Right?

Mass audiences want QUALITY storytelling with compelling characters that build to big showdowns above all else. The people that want weekly 3-hour shows that are predominantly in-ring make up a niche audience.

Comedy has it's place, all of the successful boom eras had a ton of it. lovely lowrent comedy can be a detriment, like in all genres of Show business.

Note: All of this is over the fact that FOX is telling WWE to stop with the lovely comedy segments on Smackdown and put more of an emphasis on the in ring product.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Vince is gonna book two hours of straight up comedy matches for Smackdown now

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Venomous posted:

Vince is gonna book two hours of straight up comedy matches for Smackdown now

Kikutaro will finally get hired.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
That sounds awesome because Vince saying "This guy's really funny!" has been the kiss of death for far too many great performers

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vince working with the Network and affailites is gonna be the most entertaining part of the new TV deal yes

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty great and I'd love to see or hear about Vince's meltdown that they wont let him do a Kashoggi parody or something

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Numero6 posted:

Kikutaro will finally get hired.

:stare:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm really really loving dreading the fan thoughts on Roman right now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm really really loving dreading the fan thoughts on Roman right now.

Why? They're meaningless and have probably been wishing death on him for years anyway. It's just one of the lovely parts of being a celebrity: certain people are going to be weirdly obsessed with hating you to an insanely unstable level

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

my first thought was Roman was faking it to get out of going to Saudi Arabia. So its me, I'm the lovely wrestling fan opinion.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

coconono posted:

my first thought was Roman was faking it to get out of going to Saudi Arabia. So its me, I'm the lovely wrestling fan opinion.

you aren't nearly as bad as some there are people who outright refuse to think its anything but a gimmick...but if wwe did something like this for a gimmick it would seriously destroy them between the sponsors and the charities abandoning them they would be worse off than they were in the days of blood and boobs

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

coconono posted:

If the week after Crown Jewel we get a "Good news! It was a bad diagnosis!" from the WWE, I'm done.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
wwe kayfabing a leukemia diagnosis would be so awful it would loop around to being hilarious

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

That would be some Fritz poo poo

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

wwe kayfabing a leukemia diagnosis would be so awful it would loop around to being hilarious

I would definately say it's shoot, but murder is literally the only thing that will keep WWE from turning something into a kayfabe storyline. Everything else, death, disease, drug charges, war, whatever, it's a story if they think they can make money off it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm fully onboard with wrestlers loving WWE out of million dollar deals with fake illnesses.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Maybe back in the mid 90's that could MAYBE fly but do you guys seriously think Trips or even Steph are so monumentally stupid they would let Vince have the face of the company fake loving LEUKEMIA on their flagship show?

They'd be obliterated in the media and their entire locker room would revolt.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WWE wouldn’t kayfabe cancer, but they will 1000% turn cancer survivorship into a storyline if and when he gets back.

And be applauded for it by the charities and sponsors they would lose by kayfabing cancer.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

WWE wouldn’t kayfabe cancer, but they will 1000% turn cancer survivorship into a storyline if and when he gets back.

And be applauded for it by the charities and sponsors they would lose by kayfabing cancer.

I don't know man, as someone with a mother who survived cancer twice, I don't see that as so horrific. I mean, as long as it doesn't turn into an Eddie level nightmare.

Like have Braun turn heel by saying "ROMAN, YOU MAY HAVE BEAT CANCER....BUT YOU'LL NEVER BEAT ME!"

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

I’m honestly surprised his cancer was never brought up to show how tough he is.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Maybe back in the mid 90's that could MAYBE fly but do you guys seriously think Trips or even Steph are so monumentally stupid they would let Vince have the face of the company fake loving LEUKEMIA on their flagship show?

They'd be obliterated in the media and their entire locker room would revolt.

absolutely this.
I do agree they will make roman "super roman" if he recovers in due time I don't know if that will be the case because leukemia is some loving crazy poo poo.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think they're lying but I get a sense he might have been trying to work through it for now and they pushed this to go down last night to take attention off of Crown Jewel.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't think they're lying but I get a sense he might have been trying to work through it for now and they pushed this to go down last night to take attention off of Crown Jewel.

Dude, there's basically no way this is true. That'd require them knowing before last week and Roman loving wrestled last week. They definitely just found out about this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Plus now they're down a match and have to juggle everything.

Before this announcement they seemed pretty committed to wheel spinning- Roman had the belt and the status quo was in place, maybe even until the Rumble. This is the typical "WWE don't do much because everyone's watching football anyway" period. They have to be scrambling now.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dude, there's basically no way this is true. That'd require them knowing before last week and Roman loving wrestled last week. They definitely just found out about this.

Meltzer confirmed WWE knew on Friday.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's pretty wild that the one match on the Crown Jewel card that isn't being hosed around with by poo poo behind the scenes is the one with a serving elected politician in it.

The pay day that Kane must be getting must be enormous for him not to care about the inevitable "this repressive dictatorship hacked a guy to death and literally a week later Mayor Glenn Jacobs was being pampered by the killers" attack ad in 2022.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kane's a libertarian. He's one of the few people actually living up to the behavior expected of him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Meltzer confirmed WWE knew on Friday.

That's still recent enough that they announced it at the first possible opportunity unless you wanted them to break it on Twitter or something so that everyone knew by Monday.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

quote:

WWE is just days away from holding its Evolution pay-per-view on Oct. 28 in Uniondale, New York, and, as of now, Eva Marie is not booked for the show. This despite the fact that the event is a celebration of women from the past, present, and future, and there is a battle royal featuring a number of stars from yesterday and today.

But not her.

As she told Pro Wrestling Sheet:

“I feel like I do have unfinished business there. Ultimately, everyone — I think it would be silly if you didn’t say this — but, you know, you want the title. And I feel right when I left, I was just about to arrive. So that is something still in me. No, I will not be appearing at Evolution. But … that doesn’t say that I won’t be appearing later on. They need ‘All Red Everything’ to come back and spice things up.”

Asuka is in the battle royal. That’s the same Asuka WWE was promoting as undefeated well into her run on the main roster but she was not undefeated. She was thrown over the top rope in a battle royal match down in NXT.

Do you know who eliminated her?

That’s right.

Asuka is also the wrestler who won the first ever women’s Royal Rumble. Eva wasn’t in that match either. Are you sensing a pattern here? Say what you will about her, she is a true competitor who has proven herself against the very best and yet she’s on the sidelines.

It’s wrong, and I won’t stand for it.

Caged Side Seats is the source

lol

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

snorting a bit of whisky up my nose is a small price to pay for laughing this loving hard jfc

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Eva's biggest claim to fame since leaving WWE is outing herself as a massive shitlord. She was INCREDIBLY vocal about how Brett Kavanaugh did nothing wrong.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lmao

is that the same dude as the Kelly Kelly weirdo

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkstarIV posted:

Eva's biggest claim to fame since leaving WWE is outing herself as a massive shitlord. She was INCREDIBLY vocal about how Brett Kavanaugh did nothing wrong.

Oh my God seriously? Lmao but also gross.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DarkstarIV posted:

Of course :barf:

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Geno from CSS had a gimmick during the height of All Red Everything mania that he was way into her and that actually she was the greatest ever. I don’t know how sincere he was about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

I missed that one, I did see the video about how it wasn't right for NFL players to kneel during the national anthem