Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Somfin posted:

yo Mega Man Zero devs

if you're gonna put in a system that lets you buy crazy powerful game-breaking upgrades by grinding thousands of points of currency off of respawning enemies in order to upgrade difficult-to-find collectable cyber fairy creatures

don't fuckin' ding the player's rank at the end of the level just because they bought 'em

maybe don't rank player performance if you're gonna use it to punish actually engaging with your fuckin' collectable hidden pokemon thing

ya pricks

You could argue it as being you had better gear and thus it was easier so negative points. Lots of things do that by locking your rank/disabling achievements/not giving xp if you use the super gear.

Medievil 2 I think gives you the bad ending if you get all the chalices and thus the best equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Any game that rewards time spent over completion percentage could go under that header too, e.g. Metroid series

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is an amazingly goofy and over the top game, but god drat it takes forever to actually let you start doing stuff that isn’t plot related. Half the reason I play Yakuza (or games made by the team in this case) is to see the weird sidestories!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Somfin posted:

yo Mega Man Zero devs

if you're gonna put in a system that lets you buy crazy powerful game-breaking upgrades by grinding thousands of points of currency off of respawning enemies in order to upgrade difficult-to-find collectable cyber fairy creatures

don't fuckin' ding the player's rank at the end of the level just because they bought 'em

maybe don't rank player performance if you're gonna use it to punish actually engaging with your fuckin' collectable hidden pokemon thing

ya pricks

Don't the Zero games also gate certain things behind A/S ranks? I'm pretty sure at least one of them doesnt give you the boss reward on less than an A rank. Its definitely got the same "Win More" issues as Enter the Gungeon and Binding of Isaac, but spread over longer games.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Randalor posted:

Don't the Zero games also gate certain things behind A/S ranks? I'm pretty sure at least one of them doesnt give you the boss reward on less than an A rank. Its definitely got the same "Win More" issues as Enter the Gungeon and Binding of Isaac, but spread over longer games.
Zero 1 gives the boss one more attack (the EX Skill) on A/S but the only thing gated behind rank is a single Cyber Elf in Ciel's room you can only open if you're Cool enough. Zero 2 and 3 also give the enemies an EX skill if you're A/S, but you get it as a reward as well. In Zero 4, you can set the stage to a harder version and earn EX skills like that, independent of rank.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

God Eater Resurrection is mostly 'yer basic monster hunting game - but when you get into its bullet editor it suddenly turns into a Zachtronics game:

There is no tutorial for how this works, what these things mean or even how to access this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

You could argue it as being you had better gear and thus it was easier so negative points. Lots of things do that by locking your rank/disabling achievements/not giving xp if you use the super gear.

Medievil 2 I think gives you the bad ending if you get all the chalices and thus the best equipment

Oh, I totally get why they do it that way and it makes a degree of sense; my complaint is that they charge you twice for it. Either make it that turning on the hidden "no spike damage" fairy dings your rank, or make it so that you have to grind energy for hours in order to turn on no spike damage (and that increases your completion time and dings your rank maybe?), but saying you're a poo poo player because you engaged with the game's systems is a really weird double-gently caress-you.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So more Witcher issues:

Apparently Triss is a plumber!

But she has something super rare in a video game...

A working mirror!

Also, I'm trying to read the books too, and Geralt's both sides suck not joining anyone attitude really didn't age well.

Edit: and I know, :goonsay: and all but they really don't signpost the this-dialog-option-leads-to-bangin' options at all. Also, anyone who hasn't played, these lead to sex trading cards! (I censored it, but probably still :nws:)

Edit 2: I suddenly had the suspicion that the reason there's a discrepancy between the book and game timelines, year wise, is to let some of the recurring book-to-game characters get to legal age... :barf:

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Oct 23, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, I'm trying to read the books too, and Geralt's both sides suck not joining anyone attitude really didn't age well.

The issue is that they actually do all suck horribly in the Witcher world, Temeria is a shithole populated widely by backwards rapists and xenophobes, Nilfgaard are a giant imperialist steamroller of a nation, Skellige have a few good thinkers that want to change things but they have to break the culture of "But we have to be pirate assholes and raid and victimize people, just cause, not even be we actually need things" around there and so on. Really the moral choice would almost be to let the Wild Hunt permafrost the world if anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing through Spiderman on a second playthrough and man, the MJ and Miles sections really drag the game down.

Miles gets into his situations often as a result of bad luck, most of the time. MJ, however, gets into hers by making rash prideful decisions that put her in needless danger. Then she berates Peter for being concerned about it.

Like, it's not that he thinks you could take do it, MJ, he'd just rather not see you get shot trying to infiltrate a garage of bikers like a loving idiot.

In fact, at one point she gets into a high security area and confronts someone who points a gun at her. Spiderman sees this and attacks the guy, because, well, he has a gun. And MJ goes off on him like this was his fault. Not, you know, the fault of the reporter who wanted to risk her life even though it was a million times easier for spiderman to get that info.

It's not like she isn't useful otherwise, either! She's got crazy contacts and some great deductive abilities, but for some reason just really wants to get shot at like an idiot.

The sections themselves are dull as hell, too.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

orcane posted:

Haha no. I hope you really like Paititi though.

gently caress. :(

Also Lara's outfit she starts with in the prologue is so much cooler than the tactical adventurer's clothes. But that's just me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

In game news lancers in Valkyria Chronicles 4 still suck just as much as in 1. Why even have a class that can only do their role competently in the very lategame.

The big trick with lancers is the support fire ability. Park them close together and/or next to tanks so they attack at the same time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

gently caress. :(

Also Lara's outfit she starts with in the prologue is so much cooler than the tactical adventurer's clothes. But that's just me.
It was really cool that you're not even allowed to wear modern clothes while spending way too much time in Paititi :haw:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Morpheus posted:

for some reason just really wants to get shot at like an idiot.

This is a bit rich coming from a Spider-Man who frequently dies from gunshot wounds in the game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Just finished Dark Souls on switch and gently caress Lost Izalith/Bed of Chaos (on switch).

The port's good tho.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vic posted:

Just finished Dark Souls on switch and gently caress Lost Izalith/Bed of Chaos (on switch).

The port's good tho.

The first time I played Dark Souls I somehow blitzed through that whole thing on my first life and beat it with no issues at all and didn't know what the big deal was. I figured it out on my second character. :v:

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RBA Starblade posted:

The first time I played Dark Souls I somehow blitzed through that whole thing on my first life and beat it with no issues at all and didn't know what the big deal was. I figured it out on my second character. :v:

The first time I played Dark Souls I stopped very shortly after O&S and thought the game was pretty much perfect!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vic posted:

The port's good tho.

Bed of Chaos is the best example of a high - concept boss that just does not work ever made. You know exactly what they were going for and you know they didn't quite manage it.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I've got a bunch of hours into XCOM2, and I understand that the "RNG" god reigns, but I did the math on the last several missions I just played and the successful hit rate between ~85% and ~25% was nearly identical. Basically, it's an utter crapshoot if it's not >95%. Even if every tactical decision you make is the absolute correct one, you might get hosed over because of some random crap that you have no control over. God damnit it's a fun and cool game I want to like, but it bends over backwards to be frustrating garbage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

On the other end of things, I took a soldier with a basic repeater (5% chance to instantly kill a target) against a Chosen (recurring boss) in his lair, and she landed three executes in a row, including the boss. Chances of that are .0125%, assuming no other shenanigans.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 4 really condensed the traits down, this leads to annoyances where a trait is used in several different hobbies and picking that trait with the intent of pursuing one hobby will make your sim have whims for other hobbies. Have a painter with the creative trait? Well most of their whims will be to buy instruments, play instruments, buy expensive stoves, cook meals, mixing drinks and go gardening as those all share the creative trait.

Maybe its just the sheer volume of possible whims, but it feels like the game is picking whims that don't gel with my sim.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Somfin posted:

Bed of Chaos is the best example of a high - concept boss that just does not work ever made. You know exactly what they were going for and you know they didn't quite manage it.

Thank god From had pity on the player and made the orbs not respawn when you die.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

marshmallow creep posted:

On the other end of things, I took a soldier with a basic repeater (5% chance to instantly kill a target) against a Chosen (recurring boss) in his lair, and she landed three executes in a row, including the boss. Chances of that are .0125%, assuming no other shenanigans.

I've had weapon mods that did damage on misses and I noticed how many low percentage shots landed when I just started taking pot shots. It bought a lot of good will with me, but I'm kinda fed up with the odds just not adding up, both with taking shots and being shot at.

I feel kinda silly posting the oldest video game complaint out there but I also feel better.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Everything in xcom is slightly fudged in your favor except for on the highest difficulty. I did manage to not critical on a 100% chance once though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think the root of the problem is percentage based to-hit in video games just never feels satisfying. In something like D&D, well, you can’t argue with the D20. Roll the die, add a number, if it’s X or higher you hit. Video game calculations are basically black boxes so it’s easy to feel cheated on a miss and there’s no thrill in a lucky crit like rolling a natural 20.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The big trick with lancers is the support fire ability. Park them close together and/or next to tanks so they attack at the same time.

In almost all situations you're better of just using the Hafen or walking around with one lancer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think you're probably just noticing high % shots missing more than low % shots hitting because you almost never take those low % shots. There's almost always something better to do than take a 20% shot, while 80% shots are stuff that happens all the time, so you remember all those misses that only had a 1 in 5 chance to happen but not those times you were miraculously saved by a 1 in 5 hit. you're just (rightfully) never taking shots that probably won't work.

oh dope posted:

I've got a bunch of hours into XCOM2, and I understand that the "RNG" god reigns, but I did the math on the last several missions I just played and the successful hit rate between ~85% and ~25% was nearly identical. Basically, it's an utter crapshoot if it's not >95%. Even if every tactical decision you make is the absolute correct one, you might get hosed over because of some random crap that you have no control over. God damnit it's a fun and cool game I want to like, but it bends over backwards to be frustrating garbage.

this is kind of a big problem with games that rely heavily on % chance to hit in general. If a play you have to make will unavoidably have a random chance to hit at some point, then a perfect strategy could end up with the exact same outcome as if you had played like a moron.

I like XCOM 2 but a big part of that (and part of what highlights the above problem) is the game eventually giving you a bunch of ways to get guaranteed results, where you'll have one 90% shot and then everything else on your turn is guaranteed to work. The start of the game really blows when all you have is rookies who can't get better than 75% hit chances on a flank, and only enough grenades to kill a third of the aliens in a level. It's almost a completely different game later on because of how much less you have to trust the RNG

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 07:29 on Oct 24, 2018

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Phantom Doctrine is a Cold War era, Spy themed Xcom-like. If you're point blank with an enemy it's an automatic hit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Sally posted:

i'm only in the first dungeon of Lufia II now and it's incredible just how much better EVERYTHING is
Yeah. I'm not a huge Lufia 2 fan but there's a reason it's considered a classic.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dross posted:

Any game that rewards time spent over completion percentage could go under that header too, e.g. Metroid series
Metroid games usually offer separate rewards for low times or 100 percent completion, you just don't get anything special at the end for being in the middle.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Croccers posted:

Phantom Doctrine is a Cold War era, Spy themed Xcom-like. If you're point blank with an enemy it's an automatic hit.

Mario vs Rabbids always has a 100% hit chance if you have no cover and 0% if you have full cover. The only gamble is when you have light cover because then the hit chance is 50%.
Makes stuff way more predictable but also takes some chaos out of the game and turns it into more of a puzzle game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Croccers posted:

In fact, it's technically always a hit. They're doing a thing where each character has a bar called Awareness that functions as basically as temporary HP as well as a resource for advanced options (and partially replenishes each round). Every time you shoot at somebody, it will drain their Awareness first as they try to evade the incoming fire. This reduces the damage they take, and whatever's left over then damages their actual HP. In addition to that you've also got some abilities that specifically lower enemy awareness (e.g. suppressive fire), or do more damage when they've got none left (e.g. a sniper going for a headshot). Last but not least, unaware enemies have no awareness, allowing you to deal massive damage that often results in a 1HK :getin:

It's a pretty neat system. At first it's kind of a harsh adjustment, because every single firefight will cause some fairly significant attrition, and even random mooks will almost always cause you at least some damage with their attacks. But at the same time it is very reliable (borderline deterministic, really), which is a massive boon for the stealth sections. You can always tell whether your headshot is capable of taking down a guy in one go, so you're never in a position where your discovery (and as such the whole mission) relies on a random chance.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Digirat posted:

I think you're probably just noticing high % shots missing more than low % shots hitting because you almost never take those low % shots. There's almost always something better to do than take a 20% shot, while 80% shots are stuff that happens all the time, so you remember all those misses that only had a 1 in 5 chance to happen but not those times you were miraculously saved by a 1 in 5 hit. you're just (rightfully) never taking shots that probably won't work.

this is kind of a big problem with games that rely heavily on % chance to hit in general. If a play you have to make will unavoidably have a random chance to hit at some point, then a perfect strategy could end up with the exact same outcome as if you had played like a moron.

I like XCOM 2 but a big part of that (and part of what highlights the above problem) is the game eventually giving you a bunch of ways to get guaranteed results, where you'll have one 90% shot and then everything else on your turn is guaranteed to work. The start of the game really blows when all you have is rookies who can't get better than 75% hit chances on a flank, and only enough grenades to kill a third of the aliens in a level. It's almost a completely different game later on because of how much less you have to trust the RNG

The problem is that it makes it really easy to failure cascade. If you're not keeping up with the early game slog, you don't have the skills to deal with the advanced enemies and fall farther and father behind until you're dead. Same thing happens if one of your good soldiers dies, good luck dragging some rookie dead weight around with you and getting them any of the kills they need to level up to anything useful.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Digirat posted:

The best part of XCom is that the RNG is pre-seeded, so if you try and save scum your shots you'll get the same result each time.

There are many people who have not realised this, and have made very angry posts on their forums about it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pre-seeding is pointless though because you can just do "negative save-scumming" or whatever you want to call it - if you know your 75% chance ability will miss the first time, try all the different actions because you know the 75% chance is actually 0% for that game state.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The first XCOM made pre-seeding an explicit option you could choose to turn on/off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rodbeard posted:

Everything in xcom is slightly fudged in your favor except for on the highest difficulty. I did manage to not critical on a 100% chance once though.

XCOM rounds the preview number up so it's possible to miss a 100% shot on something too. :v:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Humans are bad at math. Fire Emblem has spent the last 15 years deliberately lying about your hit rates, and gets way less complaints about busted RNG than XCOM as a result.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Humans are bad at math. Fire Emblem has spent the last 15 years deliberately lying about your hit rates, and gets way less complaints about busted RNG than XCOM as a result.

Fire Emblem's a lot simpler comparatively. There's no Aoe or Overwatch or mind control, cloaking, flying, armor management, etc.

Now that skills are slowly making their way in that might change though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Play some Blood Bowl. After that, no game with RNG can hurt you.