Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

me, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

You?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Been listening to the trio all day on loop

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Nice post signing

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll read every Credit

shut up blegum posted:

Nice post signing

poo poo

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/video/mp4/q5nph.mp4?token=KHAwurqEi_Z9uG9x5jmWxg&expires=1540326193

Leaker upped their video capture game, framerate looks solid on a base PS4 and the game looks gorgeous

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 23, 2018

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

shut up blegum posted:

Who even looks at the credits in a game. Or a movie. Or anything ever.

Literally, people in charge of hiring for new products. If you worked on RDR for two years and quit before the game was released, your code belongs to Rockstar and there is literally no evidence you had anything to do with the game beyond your pay stubs.

Remember the first Easter Egg ever, that hidden developer room in Adventure? That room exists because Atari wasn't going to credit anyone working on the game, so the creator had to program in a hidden secret area just so there was proof he actually made the game that he made.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

So it's been ages since I played any Rockstar game and I never really got into the online bits of the ones I played.

If I got a buddy or two who sucks at shooting games, is playing this game online gonna be a miserable experience? I don't wanna sucker people in if it's gonna be like 360 cowboy no-scoping but if we can just kinda amble around doing PvE stuff together as a posse it might be fun.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Bardeh posted:

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/video/mp4/q5nph.mp4?token=KHAwurqEi_Z9uG9x5jmWxg&expires=1540326193

Leaker upped their video capture game, framerate looks solid on a base PS4 and the game looks gorgeous

Well golly pardner this sure does look mighty fine, mighty fine indeed. :blastu::clint:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Really nice nearly 5 minute long spoiler free shootout in the middle of a town.

Chomposaur posted:

So it's been ages since I played any Rockstar game and I never really got into the online bits of the ones I played.

If I got a buddy or two who sucks at shooting games, is playing this game online gonna be a miserable experience? I don't wanna sucker people in if it's gonna be like 360 cowboy no-scoping but if we can just kinda amble around doing PvE stuff together as a posse it might be fun.

Just play in private lobbies, you'll be fine.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Chomposaur posted:

I've been watching a lot of videos about what is known and nobody really knows anything about RDR Online. It'll probably be released separately from the base game, not free dlc for example. And it'll probably be pretty awesome, iterating on the wildly popular GTA Online of Christmas past.

Nobody knows squat. It's a better kept secret than the base game.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chomposaur posted:

That will probably be possible, but there might be some assholes who snipe at you. Hard to say at this point as the Online mode is going to be in beta in November and not at the start. Maybe wait it out a bit and see. OR BUY IT NOW LIKE I DID!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Bardeh posted:

First person looks intense too.

Crappy Jack posted:

Literally, people in charge of hiring for new products. If you worked on RDR for two years and quit before the game was released, your code belongs to Rockstar and there is literally no evidence you had anything to do with the game beyond your pay stubs.

Remember the first Easter Egg ever, that hidden developer room in Adventure? That room exists because Atari wasn't going to credit anyone working on the game, so the creator had to program in a hidden secret area just so there was proof he actually made the game that he made.
Okay I guess, but surely you can just put on your resume 'horse testicle animator at Rockstar 2012-2015' without being mentioned in the credits?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Okay I guess, but surely you can just put on your resume 'horse testicle animator at Rockstar 2012-2015' without being mentioned in the credits?

Sure, it's just your word against rockstar (and rockstar barely bothers to conceal their hatred for 'leavers' even in their PR responses to the article)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

shut up blegum posted:

And when they go to check to see if your resume checks out, then what?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

If I quit my job, there would be no evidence of my having worked here besides my pay stubs, and someone hiring me in the future would likely call my employer to fact check my resume. Surely people hiring in the games industry would follow a similar procedure, not just say "Well you're not in the credits, so obviously this is a lie".

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

PunkBoy posted:

And when they go to check to see if your resume checks out, then what?

Well, this probably:

Silynt posted:

If I quit my job, there would be no evidence of my having worked here besides my pay stubs, and someone hiring me in the future would likely call my employer to fact check my resume. Surely people hiring in the games industry would follow a similar procedure, not just say "Well you're not in the credits, so obviously this is a lie".

:shrug: maybe it's totally different in the games industry though.

But honestly I don't really care either way, I just want to play this drat game :argh:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Zotix posted:

Blah. I really don't want to upgrade my system to play this and I'd like to install the game now with a pre-order. However with the current game stop deal of trading in a ps4 for $250 of an Xbox 1 X. That's kind of hard to pass up. Plus I think if you buy RDR2 through them you also get something $50-100 off the Xbox one x as well.

I just checked and you get $100 off a new Xbox One X or S system if you buy it with RDR2. drat that is a good deal.

Forcing myself to wait for a PC release is going to be difficult.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the games industry isn't so different than a lot of other highly competitive industries but it's important to realize that that having bosses willing to bury multiple years of your life and work for their company out of spite because You Left The Team Before The Finish Line, those bosses very likely being the same people someone trying to hire you in the future will be talking to, isn't going to help your job prospects lol

e: And the whole Rockstar Removes Your Name From The Credits thing has to be an open secret in the industry, so when they eventually call your previous employers at Rockstar to get a reference all they're going to walk away with is "This guy is great! Except he's prone to flaking in the team's hour of need, cannot be trusted to finish a product." I've met a lot of people who are or are peripherally related to hiring in the games industry and the general consensus is that they'll happily take someone a little worse than you if they're easier to deal with/don't have as much reputational baggage/more fun to be around, every time.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 23, 2018

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Silynt posted:

Legally your past employer can (generally) only confirm your job title and how long you worked there, and even then job titles can be pretty confusing or misleading. Plus it's not like game companies don't close down at the drop of a hat

But even if it's just an ego thing isn't that still understandable? It's the only possible way anyone at that place is getting recognition or acknowledgement. Leaving you out of the credits is like trying to erase your contribution. It sucks

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I now picture the HR guy going: 'alright Mr. Blegum, this interview went really well. Just one more formality, I'll just finish this 60 hour game so I can check if your name actually appears in the credits. Don't call us, we'll call you.'

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Silynt posted:

The games industry and Hollywood in particular are both VERY crowded industries. People don't make phone calls to check resumes because there are literally hundreds of people gunning for any possible opening, and in the time it would take you to research which branch of Rockstar they claim to work for, calling up the offices, tracking down staff who were employed at the time and asking them to verify the information, you could just hire the guy who shows up in the credits for Gears of War 2 and know that he worked on the product.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This the heart behind much of this discussion

quote:

Is it possible to make great art without unreasonable sacrifice? That’s a question that’s haunted the video game industry for decades, and it’s one that remains difficult if not impossible to definitively answer. Can Rockstar continue to make great games without putting in the crunch hours that have been so pervasive in its long history of successful art? Is crunch just, as CD Projekt Red CEO Marcin Iwiński once told me in an interview about his studio’s mega-hit The Witcher 3, a “necessary evil” in game development? These are questions that will be debated for years to come. For now, at least, many hope that by coming together to share their stories, they can push for some change at Rockstar Games.

Also is there a thread for talking about non-game specific issues, like the Rockstar workplace environment and the gaming industry as a whole? Don't want to derail gaming threads with these topics, but they're important to talk about so seems there should be a thread where they can be discussed in more detail.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that dude playing Hatless Arthur is loving me up. Put a hat on!!

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

jesus christ that valentine botched robbery footage is amazing

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That footage isn't showing for me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Chomposaur posted:

Private lobbies as was mentioned, but I just wanted to say one of the best things about RDR was that co-op level expansion. I had a bunch of fun playing those multiple times with friends. I hope RDR2 has a lot of content like that and not how the heists are in GTA:O where you have one that's 2-player then all the rest require exactly four or get hosed. Co-op stuff needs to scale to however many of your friends are available to play at any given time. Ideally from solo to 4 or higher. I wish games like Just Cause and GTA (even if it came at the cost of a cohesive story being told) just let you add in friends to everything like Saints Row 3 did.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
video appears to be down now, it's not loading any more for me

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Leaks gone. Leaker probably dead. :tinfoil:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Check r/reddeadredemption for reuploaded versions of the clips, looks like R* are getting poo poo taken down now.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Luckily I've downloaded every single one so far

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
More new clips on this IG account:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpSa2W-F42S/?taken-by=allgamesbeta

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

I made it to the finish line so my name's in the credits

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Stay out of the comment sections of the Youtube video's, some random Youtuber who is pure just RDR 2 has had the ending spoilt by a Japanese games magazine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Stay out of the comment sections of the Youtube video's, some random Youtuber who is pure just RDR 2 has had the ending spoilt by a Japanese games magazine.

Is it true that Donald Trump becomes president?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://streamable.com/duqnm

E: don't watch if you don't wanna see him mercy kill a poor injured horsie :(

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 23, 2018

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, i was very disappointed.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

even rockstar doesn't get that dark with their plotlines

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nm

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU