Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jiggle-lo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Does anyone have a link to that crazy haifisch run where every purple was a godlike mutation?

Here's the first post of the run: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597022&userid=170213&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post424993551(possibly requires archives access)

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 22, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
slime apostle

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

slime apostle

:perfect:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I love Gnoll.

I love having a playable experience which completely voids the frustration of coming across intensely cool weapons that just Aren't For Me and Never Will Be because it's way too late to switch to the Polechucks and Zoobows skill this late in, and makes it so that any random artefact that Okawaru plunks at my lil' puppy toes is something I can pick up to crush an enemy's head in, same turn, no reservations.

I love the Dunmerian Gestalt Wheel feeling of carefully advancing in and becoming a complete swiss army meatgrinder of skills to use against my foes. Every school of magic, every martial skill, every evocable, every approach possible from being a sneaky shadow-stabber to being a walking iron portcullis that wobbles forward on dog legs and then drops eveningstars on enemies from its parapets is perfectly workable and does not rob vitality or possibility from your future options.

I love how there's probably a long german word describing "The feeling of pre-emptive regret in Dungeon Crawl at that you may some day in the future wish you had gone a different way in your skills, instead of making the compromises you are making at your present juncture" that used to dominate my feels during previous playthroughs, and I love that Gnolls have helped me forget that word and that sensation. Instead, my skill focus is always "Yes."

I love how it lets you set aside a whole wardrobe of things to use for any occasion, balancing out heavy armor versus light armor to shift between physical durability and a complete bardic Omnimagical Tree.

I love how you scoot through a dicey portion of the game playing as that limp and pepperless character that is tirefully described as "Jack of all trades, but master of none" — but as your skills continue to improve equally at a rhythmic pace, you steadily transform into 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕬𝖑𝖑𝖏𝖆𝖈𝖐, a Gnoll which is effortlessly sneaking up behind you in orange crystal plate and a large shield because she's curious to find out if it's possible to stab someone in the kidneys with Ball Lightning.

I love that Gnoll means that someday I will play this game out for an all-rune win, walking out with every skill maxed and a belt made of the heads of every pandemonium lord, to usher in a new era of peace and prosperity on the surface world. Before, when I was trying other 'hybrid' characters, it seemed so completely out of reach for me at my current frustration thresholds and tendency to water down my strengths.

I love that I can sense items and I am so much more at ease about the idea that I might be missing hidden things, because now you can't hide things from me behind walls or trees or anything. I love this so much that I didn't even mind it that one time I sniffed out three items behind a wall in the early dungeon, broke it open, and immediately died to an Ettin.

I love that the first time I hit tt to draw attention to me, I went "bark!"

Most of all, I love that Gnoll makes the Wanderer concept so freaking fun and viable. I can play the same race a million different ways by landing in the dungeon with a roll of the aptitude dice and learn to use almost all the early game strategies. I had fun with Sting, with blowguns and a scant handful of curare needles, with stealth attacks using polearms. It's really fun. And if I ever get frustrated, I can plow through the early game as a fighter and get past the ramp-up period by mashing o and tab, because I really just want a win now.

I love all of it! Thank you for Gnolls!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

five minutes later: we regret to inform you that gnolls were removed, in favour of another fragile race with above-baseline necromancy aptitudes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

five minutes later: we regret to inform you that gnolls were removed, in favour of another fragile race with above-baseline necromancy aptitudes

MIIIIINMAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
what were the reasons why every removed race was removed? Is there, like, a list of nofun justifications?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kavros posted:

what were the reasons why every removed race was removed? Is there, like, a list of nofun justifications?
A few like Lava Orcs kinda made sense, that they were hard to balance, things FK has been struggling with. But things like High Elves were removed for being "redundant" once Barachi were added, and for being too Tolkien.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sludge elves were the real loss

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kavros posted:

you see, because minotaurs are good at fighting things and deep elves are good at casting things, there's no need for any other races that fight or cast, especially ones that might exist in other roguelikes

(please ignore that every removed race has had a different set of aptitudes and stat progression from the race it is "redundant" with, making them not actually redundant - gotta save that precious code space)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Species idea: Fulgurite, lightning-infused flying djinni-like creature that moves slow as poo poo naturally (as they're pinned to a spot they've magnetized,) but has a low-cooldown blink that costs nothing, starts uncontrollable and becomes controllable by XL14 or something. Flying and cannot land, Natural rElec, increased EV maybe, no boot slot (as they need their grounding point,) but no other armor slot restrictions. Good AE and Conjurations, low HP and bad Fighting, good Polearms and Staves skill. Terrible, terrible EE and charms (they're made of constantly coruscating energy and thus hard to self-buff whatever meat they've got.) Maybe have some various magnetic racial features.

Also just so you can finally play a gently caress.

Edit: It occurs to me that a lot of this is basically just what Barachi are. Well,

mdct fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 23, 2018

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Also just so you can finally play a gently caress.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I'm playing an OgBe wielding maces. I'm using a +6 antimagic giant spiked club from Trog at ~ 14 maces and flails. My question is, is it better to use something where I'm at minimum delay? Because it'll take a while before I get to 22 maces and flails. Also at about 20 fighting skill. Reason I'm asking is that I just got a +4 eveningstar.

Struensee fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 23, 2018

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Min-delay is almost always the answer unless 1. It's with a weapon that deals so little damage that you can't get past enemy armor. 2. The non-min has signifigantly better brand/enchantment (if this was a fire, ice, or vampiric giant spiked club...)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just wield a regular giant club until your skill is higher

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how do the spikes add significant weight, honestly

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

Reading through the design docs, I think I have a pretty good idea now how to impliment new species. I'm currently working on an Abomination species, an item-dependent crime against nature. Before I go through all the effort of implimenting it, I'd like to fetch what you all think of the idea.

Just a fluff thing as a negative modifier, but I definitely think Fedhas would absolutely despise this thing, as would the good gods, but I'm more on the fence on the good gods.

Fedhas though? woo, this thing really rustles their leaves.

edit: and Trog, as it's being held together by magic, but that'd probably be too drat cruel

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 23, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

how do the spikes add significant weight, honestly

It's not heavier, it just requires a lot more effort to not impale yourself with as you swing it

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Victory Position posted:

Just a fluff thing as a negative modifier, but I definitely think Fedhas would absolutely despise this thing, as would the good gods, but I'm more on the fence on the good gods.

Fedhas though? woo, this thing really rustles their leaves.

edit: and Trog, as it's being held together by magic, but that'd probably be too drat cruel

Hey so long as you magically explode on death because you're a collection of mismatched parts animated by magic working overtime I'm cool with it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Fedahs please

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I am doing a dumb thing

code:
Xavori the Bludgeoner (Mummy Chaos Knight)        Turns: 151530, Time: 02:43:35

Health: 193/193    AC: 35    Str: 27    XL:     23   Next: 76%
Magic:  38/38      EV: 15    Int: 18    God:    Xom [...*..]
Gold:   6948       SH:  9    Dex: 16    Spells: 24/44 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis .   I - +9 eveningstar (freeze)
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   V - +2 buckler
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   q - +8 plate armour of the Realm of Zot {Regen+}
rPois    ∞        Spirit   .   X - +2 helmet
rElec    .         Reflect  .   U - scarf {repulsion}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   a - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR       ++...                  Z - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    ..........             r - amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}
HPRegen  1.22/turn              e - ring "Mollu" {+Inv rF+ rC+}
MPRegen  0.26/turn              Y - ring "Dauteinerr" {rF+ Str+7 Int+3}
I've splatted literal hundreds of these in an attempt to 15 rune a MuCK. I'm at 3 runes so far and I'm clearing Vault 5, but Mennas is sitting on the stairs and I'm reasonably certain he will utterly destroy me if I go back down there.

I will never again underrate evocables; Harp of Healing, Lamp of Fire, Shard of Zot and every wand I've found have carried me this far.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, your first problem's going Chaos Knight, no? Imagine you'd want Summoner, Necromancer, or Skald, worshipping Gozag or one of the caster gods.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 25, 2018

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Well, sure, if my goal wasn't to win a MuCK :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
nah the problem is Mummy
play Minotaur Berzerker instead and you'll be right as rain

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Maybe it's I'm just not used to GoonCrawl, but a GrFi^Ru used to be a no-brainer win for me on the regular releases, and now I can barely get one off the ground. Going to have to get used to playing again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

Well, sure, if my goal wasn't to win a MuCK :v:
Not a MuSK?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Maybe if we were playing Elona :rimshot:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Life goal complete:toot:

Harp of Healing is probably too strong.

edit:

quote:

You reflect Antaeus with the mirror, and the mirror shatters!
Antaeus hits Antaeus with a falchion of distortion!!
Antaeus freezes Antaeus! Antaeus resists.
_Antaeus is devoured by a tear in reality.
:lol:

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 26, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mystery Prize posted:

Life goal complete:toot:

Harp of Healing is probably too strong.

edit:

:lol:

Yeah that's a good one. I also like Confusing Cerebov into Lava (or is that Asmodeus in geh?)

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
So I have a weird issue with the builds of gooncrawl.

I play mouse and keyboard and for some reason in gooncrawl when i click on armor it drops it, not takes it off/puts it on. In addition clicking on stuff on the floor doesn't automatically pick it up.

Official crawl 0.22 (offline, tiles) doesn't have these problems and works like I'm used to so the problem is in a gooncrawl setting somewhere. Anyone know what's going on?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Whoreax posted:

So I have a weird issue with the builds of gooncrawl.

I play mouse and keyboard and for some reason in gooncrawl when i click on armor it drops it, not takes it off/puts it on. In addition clicking on stuff on the floor doesn't automatically pick it up.

Official crawl 0.22 (offline, tiles) doesn't have these problems and works like I'm used to so the problem is in a gooncrawl setting somewhere. Anyone know what's going on?

Crawl has a weird thing where after a while it'll think you're holding down certain keys. You have to hit shift and control a couple times to "clear" it and then clicks will work as normal

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah that's a good one. I also like Confusing Cerebov into Lava (or is that Asmodeus in geh?)

I've seen it with Asmodeus, because there is always lava near where he is. I don't remember seeing lava in that part of pan. And yes, it's equally hilarious.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc cerebov isnt endangered by the fire part of lava he just cant swim

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i just now realized you probably were referring to the natural abbreviation being :grenade: SA :grenade:, which honestly i didnt really notice until just now

e: what the gently caress why is there no grenade emoji on sa

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

i just now realized you probably were referring to the natural abbreviation being :grenade: SA :grenade:, which honestly i didnt really notice until just now

e: what the gently caress why is there no grenade emoji on sa
:fedora:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

Yup, thought that's what you were going for. It's still the obvious choice, imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, Slime Apostle please. They even sound similar if you say them quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I would probably never play it, but worshipping Jiyva from the get-go does sound fun and frustrating as all hell