Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I met a dev in 2018 that didn't believe SSDs were a worthwhile investment and I just didn't know what to say. Lol, wow, top post. Um...

Edit: What's the best way to clone a large drive to a smaller SSD? I have the cheap 120GB Crucial SSD for my SFF desktopbox, but I always hesitate to transfer Windows from a larger platter drive to an SSD. I have a USB -> SATA cable, but I think last time I did this I used an app that I forgot about...?

anothergod fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Macrium Reflect is well suited to this task.

Also, just when you think you've seen it all, you learn about the existence of SSD truthers.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 22, 2018

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The difference between an NVME ssd and an AHCI sata ssd is imperceptible to home use.

A bad NVME ssd will crap out and be noticeable but a good sata ssd will keep on truckin.

Performance consistency and having DRAM trump theoretical IOPS

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Stickman posted:

The benefit to gaming is pretty small right now - it's not even close to comparable to the spinny disk -> sdd move. NVMe being a good recommendation is more about falling prices and competition closing the price gap and future potential than about noticeable gains.

Of course once you start getting into other applications, it's a different story.

I agree, but I got an NVME recently because I needed more space and it was like < 10% more for a comparable SSD, even though my use case didn't really call for it. SSD's still have better value for sure, but it's frequently close enough that it enters the "do what you want" territory. Before long NVME will probably be a no brainer in terms of a buy if you have the S.2 slot. There's nothing about NVME drives that make them inherently more expensive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I have a 970 Evo and a MX500 SATA and I don’t really feel any difference in daily use. For home users, I still wouldn’t recommend spending any big premium for nvme, but with prices close or equal, it’s a pretty easy call.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I saw a pretty noticeable difference between my samsung 840 evo and the Adata 8200, but I think that's just because the 840 evo is a crappy SSD.

Wasn't nearly the difference from even a good HDD and my crappy 840 evo though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lockback posted:

I saw a pretty noticeable difference between my samsung 840 evo and the Adata 8200, but I think that's just because the 840 evo is a crappy SSD.

Wasn't nearly the difference from even a good HDD and my crappy 840 evo though.

haha I remember when the 840 EVO was top of the litter for SSDs. Oh how times (and prices!) change.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In computer terms it's also about a million years old so I'm not sure how that is surprising.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People also didn't know that reads would slow down to a crawl after a while. The 840 Evo was a terrible SSD even for its time.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Mine bricked running samsung magician!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm guessing teething issues with earlier versions of operating systems did not help, as I first had a hell of a time getting a W7 installation to work properly on an Intel 330. Turns out for some reason it would only install properly when installed from the DVD image on a disc. :shrug:

There was definitely less OS support in the past, and early SSDs were kinda crappy and expensive. Once they started to become affordable several years ago, I bought a 32 GB PQI PoS as an upgrade for a Win7 system, and while it was definitely better than a HDD there were limitations of it that I didn't realize at the time (mostly related to the limited capacity, but also probably contributed to by it being DRAMless.)

I could see why, in the early years (and I know that actual SSDs go back decades and thousands of dollars, but I'm referring to the modern SSD era of the past decade or so) people were apprehensive about these newfangled SSDs, but that quickly became nonsensical over the past 5 years or so, and nowadays any new system without an SSD is inexcusable.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lambert posted:

It also makes for a much neater build, no SATA & power cable to manage.

This is a M.2 form factor advantage, though, rather than being directly tied NVMe.

That said, it's tough to recommend a SATA M.2 SSD to anyone building a new system - there's a good chance they'll want a NVMe drive at some point in the next 5 years and it'll be much more convenient to have free M.2 slot(s) when the time comes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SSD prices can't go down far and fast enough.
I really wanna stop juggling stuff around on my 256 GB Samsung 830 that I bought for 175 euros six years ago, but now I'm balking at paying roughly the same for 1TB.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Stickman posted:

This is a M.2 form factor advantage, though, rather than being directly tied NVMe.

This was also true of mSATA, AICs, really anything that's a slot/card. We've only had to deal with drive cables because of the mounting requirements of 3.5" and 5.25" drives.

Stickman posted:

That said, it's tough to recommend a SATA M.2 SSD to anyone building a new system - there's a good chance they'll want a NVMe drive at some point in the next 5 years and it'll be much more convenient to have free M.2 slot(s) when the time comes.

Definitely go NVMe if the price is right, although frankly I'd fill any m.2 slot with drives even if they're SATA only. The only thing I take issue with is the "...at some point in the next 5 years..." comment; 5 years is a long time in technology, and I wouldn't buy something now that I don't need until years down the line. I mean in SSD technology alone, imagine if you were stuck now using something you bought 5 years ago (like the aforementioned 840 Evo!!!) instead of something modern, cheap, and good like an MX500 or WD Blue (NVMe wasn't even a thing back then, and 5 years from now we might've transitioned to u.2 or whatever.)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Atomizer posted:

The only thing I take issue with is the "...at some point in the next 5 years..." comment; 5 years is a long time in technology, and I wouldn't buy something now that I don't need until years down the line. I mean in SSD technology alone, imagine if you were stuck now using something you bought 5 years ago (like the aforementioned 840 Evo!!!) instead of something modern, cheap, and good like an MX500 or WD Blue (NVMe wasn't even a thing back then, and 5 years from now we might've transitioned to u.2 or whatever.)

I interpreted that as "what to do with the old M.2 SATA after you replace it with NVMe." Currently the smart money would be with 500GB M.2 SATA or something, but in 3 years the price and performance probably change enough that you want to upgrade to a 1-2TB NVMe. Many systems have only one M.2 slot, so at that point the old M.2 SATA becomes useless, unless you happen to have some other system with empty M.2. If you had bought a traditional SATA you could still keep using the drive.

From time to time I have an itching to upgrade to a 1TB SATA SSD for more space and an extra incentive for that is that I could my old 850 Evo in my Playstation 3. Like my old OCZ drive ended up in the ancient laptop I got as a hand-me-down.

SATA is an universal standard, but M.2 SATA is already practically obsolete.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Many systems have only one M.2 slot, so at that point the old M.2 SATA becomes useless, unless you happen to have some other system with empty M.2. If you had bought a traditional SATA you could still keep using the drive.
There's a much simpler solution to this:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Llamadeus posted:

There's a much simpler solution to this:

Yeah, I just don't understand the blind disdain/hatred some people clearly have for M.2 drives.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Heh, was the 840 Evo really that bad? I take it it's only related to the 840 Pro in name then, unlike the models after them? The Pro fared well over here in the past.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
You just updated the firmware and it was fine. Still is fine, I still use mine. It's just not going to last as long as originally expected.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Combat Pretzel posted:

Heh, was the 840 Evo really that bad? I take it it's only related to the 840 Pro in name then, unlike the models after them? The Pro fared well over here in the past.

Afaik it’s closely related, it’s just that the 840 EVO was Samsung’s first TLC drive and they didn’t get the scrubbing algorithms completely right in the original firmware.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I just don't understand the blind disdain/hatred some people clearly have for M.2 drives.

Hate: M.2 sata drives being sold at a premium because people who don't know the difference between M.2 and NVMe think they're the better drives. And then someone has to spend another $10 to buy that case thing.

Mild disdain: Knowing the difference and still buying a sata M.2 because "clean case with no wires" or "airflow", which to me falls into the same general category as liking RGB leds on everything. People can spend their money & trick out their ricer PC however they want, I ain't gonna stop them. But I'm gonna roll my eyes a bit. (The airflow thing is an extremely specious argument. Anyone who imagines a single sata cable strung in front / behind a fan will have detectable performance impact is crazy. And it's not difficult to keep thin cables out of the main air paths, even in an older case with limited routing options.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The thing I hate about m.2 is the tiny retention screw that occasionally gets popped out and you have to hunt for or else the socket is basically useless. Motherboards that use the plastic clip deelie are good tho.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The problem I'm having with leftover SSDs isn't the protocol or form factor, the M.2 shape is compact which makes finding an adapter easy. It's just that the SSD isn't big enough to be worth the hassle, like my old desktop from time years ago has the 840EVO and it still works but it's the same size as this new leftover drive so replacing it is a lot of work cloning for no appreciable gain. I can put it in as a third drive but it's still marginal benefit.

I put it in a USB enclosure so I can use it as a bulk transfer drive but you have thumb drives hitting 256gb now so it's a lot fatter than commercial options in that role. Unless you're in the habit of resuscitating old machines for family members or something it's hard to justify reusing old storage when new drives can have so much more capacity.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Regarding "old" SATA SSDs: even after you'd want to move them out of your PCs they'll still be useful for one thing or another, and you have options, not limited to that m.2-SATA enclosure (there are also cheap ones for mSATA-SATA); there are m.2-to-USB, and SATA-to-USB, plus dual-drive/RAID enclosures. So at worst you can turn any SSD into a really fast USB flash drive. There's really no reason not to get any SATA SSD that you can make use of now, you'll most certainly be able to use it for some purpose in the foreseeable future. If anything, having a bunch of old, extra SSDs can make it easier for you to eliminate HDDs entirely from your setup; failing that, you could also use an SSD to cache your HDDs with software like PrimoCache.

BobHoward posted:

Afaik it’s closely related, it’s just that the 840 EVO was Samsung’s first TLC drive and they didn’t get the scrubbing algorithms completely right in the original firmware.

I think it was an issue with the smaller-process 2D TLC NAND and it having unexpectedly higher "voltage-drifting" or whatever they called it, which made reads more time-consuming. It does appear to have been eventually fixed with the most recent firmware revision. I have an 840 Evo mSATA in a tablet and it appears to be working fine. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Klyith posted:

Hate: M.2 sata drives being sold at a premium because people who don't know the difference between M.2 and NVMe think they're the better drives. And then someone has to spend another $10 to buy that case thing.

Mild disdain: Knowing the difference and still buying a sata M.2 because "clean case with no wires" or "airflow", which to me falls into the same general category as liking RGB leds on everything. People can spend their money & trick out their ricer PC however they want, I ain't gonna stop them. But I'm gonna roll my eyes a bit. (The airflow thing is an extremely specious argument. Anyone who imagines a single sata cable strung in front / behind a fan will have detectable performance impact is crazy. And it's not difficult to keep thin cables out of the main air paths, even in an older case with limited routing options.)

M.2 SATA never gets sold at a premium over M.2 NVMe, the layman can't tell the difference and the NVMe controller costs more. If anything the layman is more likely to run into issues buying the NVMe drive and and discovering their M.2 slot is cheap and only supports SATA.

If you're hesitating on upgrading your system now because you might have to spend ten bucks on an adapter in the future, well I hope you're okay with never upgrading. :shrug:

Eliminating the SATA cable is actually legitimately good because it removes a point of failure. Fixing drive issues by swapping the cable happens surprisingly often in threads.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

priznat posted:

The thing I hate about m.2 is the tiny retention screw that occasionally gets popped out and you have to hunt for or else the socket is basically useless. Motherboards that use the plastic clip deelie are good tho.

god gently caress that screw. the worst is that some boards have different length/threads on the screw, so if you lose the one that came with your board, you cant even use one from another board. good luck finding one at a hardware store that works!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cygni posted:

god gently caress that screw. the worst is that some boards have different length/threads on the screw, so if you lose the one that came with your board, you cant even use one from another board. good luck finding one at a hardware store that works!

Yup and then there is often different socket heights so you need a unique hex screw..

I wonder if there are general purpose plastic clips because it would be useful to have around, I lost a screw on a motherboard at work and can’t use the m.2 socket on that board anymore, it suuuucks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
You can't just buy one of those laptop repair kits that have like a dozen types of screws for ten bucks?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

isndl posted:

You can't just buy one of those laptop repair kits that have like a dozen types of screws for ten bucks?

Maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it. In my case it’s more of annoyance than anything since these servers are just to test hardware unrelated to booting from an m.2 nvme drive so SATA is fine. Just I like having cable free as was mentioned.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can buy m.2 screw and offset sets on Amazon, might have the one you need.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My new mainboard required me to have a tiny watchmaker Phillips screwdriver, not a hex, to mount the M.2's. Not everyone has a set of those tiny ones, either.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I’m not going with NVMe until we get enough PCIe lanes on consumer chipsets so that running one doesn’t translate into “using a NVMe drive disables two PCIe 1x slots, two SATA ports, your USB 3.1 ports and a partridge in a pear tree’ written in 8 point type on the last page of your mobo manual.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Hello friends

I currently have this motherboard and would like this SSD. Is this the right purchase for me?

I currently have an 840 EVO 256GB.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shredder posted:

Hello friends

I currently have this motherboard and would like this SSD. Is this the right purchase for me?

I currently have an 840 EVO 256GB.

Use case is home? For the money you are spending on a 500GB 970 you can get a 1TB NVME for a little more (or the same price if you keep an eye on sales that will be common in the next few weeks) or save some money and get a 1TB SSD that is much better than the 840 Evo. Since you are already over the $150 threshold I'd recommend getting a 1TB.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Lockback posted:

Use case is home? For the money you are spending on a 500GB 970 you can get a 1TB NVME for a little more (or the same price if you keep an eye on sales that will be common in the next few weeks) or save some money and get a 1TB SSD that is much better than the 840 Evo. Since you are already over the $150 threshold I'd recommend getting a 1TB.

Yeah, just a home gaming/streaming PC OS drive. I still put all my games on spinning disk, but I guess that might change if I had 1TB of SSD space.

EDIT: The 860 Evo 1TB SATA seems fine, after doing more research it seems nvme would be wasted on me. I'll just hold out a month for black friday deals. Thanks!

Shredder fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 23, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

I’m not going with NVMe until we get enough PCIe lanes on consumer chipsets so that running one doesn’t translate into “using a NVMe drive disables two PCIe 1x slots, two SATA ports, your USB 3.1 ports and a partridge in a pear tree’ written in 8 point type on the last page of your mobo manual.

Yeah, that was a fun one on my old Z97 mobo... Putting my RD400 m.2 into the 4x slot (with included adapter, the mobo itself didnt have a m.2 slot)), disabled ALL all the other PCI-E slots except for the 16x graphics slot. I wondered why my wireless card stopped working. I thought I had fried something. I didn't realize the Z97 platform had such limited PCI-E lanes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

U.2 connectors on consumer boards cannot come soon enough, mostly because I want to see redditors with more money than sense build their "8-stripe Raid0 NVMe!!!1" builds with no understanding for what they're doing to the underlying fs / storage stack.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I'm thinking about getting a 2 TB SSD to use as a games drive. I'd keep my OS/programs seperate on my small 850 EVO and just dedicate my big spinner drive to backups/media and Shadowplay recordings and other dumb poo poo that doesn't matter.

I'm between the MX500 or the 860 EVO, they're basically close to same performance wise, but does one or the other have a better endurance lifespan rating since this is gonna be a big purchase and having it (potentially) last longer is more important than a few more MB/s in a benchmark that I'd never notice.

edit: I mean I know it's probably unlikely I'd ever get close to either drives TBW rating, so maybe I should just go for the Sammy?

owls or something fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 23, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

owls or something posted:

I'm thinking about getting a 2 TB SSD to use as a games drive. I'd keep my OS/programs seperate on my small 850 EVO and just dedicate my big spinner drive to backups/media and Shadowplay recordings and other dumb poo poo that doesn't matter.

I'm between the MX500 or the 860 EVO, they're basically close to same performance wise, but does one or the other have a better endurance lifespan rating since this is gonna be a big purchase and having it (potentially) last longer is more important than a few more MB/s in a benchmark that I'd never notice.

edit: I mean I know it's probably unlikely I'd ever get close to either drives TBW rating, so maybe I should just go for the Sammy?

If it's just a games drive, there's no reason to overspend on Samsung - get an MX500 or one of those Micron 1100s (which are old rebranded MX300s for the business market).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If it's just a games drive, there's no reason to overspend on Samsung - get an MX500 or one of those Micron 1100s (which are old rebranded MX300s for the business market).

I forgot about that Micron 1100. Don't give me more choices!

Where is a good place to buy the 1100 that isn't 3rd party sellers on Amazon or Ebay?