Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
His qi channelling would make him a perfect foil to Shang, so my bets are still on him getting the Blasphemous Deaths sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

pray for my aunt posted:

His qi channelling would make him a perfect foil to Shang, so my bets are still on him getting the Blasphemous Deaths sword.

I'm of the opinion that he would be nearly immune to the call of the sword because he has no desire for power.

He might take it out of the sheath if it asks nicely though. No idea what would happen after that.

Honestly he may end up being the key to stopping that sword's reign of terror after it inevitably starts.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are going to have to hurry the gently caress up since there are like 5 henchmen stones and their boss we still haven't even seen.

And we are already 4 episodes in

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm of the opinion that he would be nearly immune to the call of the sword because he has no desire for power.

He might take it out of the sheath if it asks nicely though. No idea what would happen after that.

Honestly he may end up being the key to stopping that sword's reign of terror after it inevitably starts.
The sword very sincerely explains it wants to kill all humans so he helps it out. :v:

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are going to have to hurry the gently caress up since there are like 5 henchmen stones and their boss we still haven't even seen.

they're probably being saved for season 3. They'd be in the OP otherwise. (well, they'd be in the OP as puppets rather than stones)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're getting those this season.

We might get one more bug gang person showing up at the 11th hour, wondering why Princess of Cruelty is taking so long just you steal a few swords.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Just finished S1, loved it, "magic swords are bullshit so I've appointed myself magic sword garbageman" is one of the greatest character concepts ever, followed closely by "fighting badguys is hard and repetitive, so I'm just going to troll them mercilessly until they hide in shame".

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lin and Shang alone basically carry the entire show, that's just how good these two dudes are*

There are four common phases to appreciating Thunderbolt Fantasy:

1. Hahaha puppets this is great
2. Hahaha this Lin guy sure talks smack about wuxia stuff
3. Holy poo poo Shang is the best character ever
4. I have begun unironically cheering for bombastic wuxia fights

The movie probably had the best crazy special effects fights in the entire franchise so far, and god drat I do hope they top even those this season

*Barring a certain Lin scene at the start of the last episode, ahem

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh goodness.
His/Story is performed diegetically IN the show! :allears:

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Làng Wū Yáo seeing right through Lin is the best. Too straightforward to fool.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 29, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

K Prime posted:

Làng Wū Yáo seeing right through Lin is the best. Too straightforward to fool.

Probably should have waited until after Shang was cured to backstab him, though. That little 'urk' at the end seemed kind of ominous.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lang: Your words are superficial, what lies underneath is unimaginable!
Lin : Oho? And what lies underneath then?
Lang : I dont know but you are a bad dude!
Lin: Womp womp

Lang I love you dude, but your moment this episode was basically us the moment we saw Lins design on season 1.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quickest antidote ever!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, there's no way the fugitive hunter doesn't know what's up with Lin at this point

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Turin Turambar posted:

Quickest antidote ever!

To be fair that was a most exotic core ingredient but yes that sudden explosion of health was unexpected.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That was by far the best episode so far this season. Holy poo poo. Rou Fu You is solidified as my new favorite character.

I mean, he sang the show's theme song to knock down a loving dragon named Death King. I marked out so hard for that scene. I am in awe over how awesome that was.

And the follow up that all just talked about was icing. He sees right through the bullshit and I love it. I also want to know more about the princess of Seiyuu apparently sending an army to capture Rou Fu You to make him the royal courtyard bard or some poo poo.

And exactly how did his voice get cursed in the first place?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like lang, the guy's got gumption and doesn't take vapey's poo poo

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Elephant Ambush posted:

And exactly how did his voice get cursed in the first place?
He probably pissed off some wizard/demon. It's got the hallmarks of a classic Faustian bargain! Preview spoilers: Hopefully that fight with Shang isn't a falling out :ohdear: And the princess of cruelty is now bunkmates with Di Kong! :3: It would be great if he ended up turning her to the side of good.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That little 'urk' at the end seemed kind of ominous.

That and, in the next episode preview, Shang and Lang fighting does make it seem like something is up with the antidote.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hogama posted:

Oh goodness.
His/Story is performed diegetically IN the show! :allears:

yeah this was amazing and basically confirmed for me that Urobuchi let TM Revolution put Lang in the show as his puppetsona

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

yeah this was amazing and basically confirmed for me that Urobuchi let TM Revolution put Lang in the show as his puppetsona

90% sure I remember reading a quote about how it's the other way around and Urobochi bugged TM Revolution to let Urobochi put him in the show.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Either way it's adorable

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

90% sure I remember reading a quote about how it's the other way around and Urobochi bugged TM Revolution to let Urobochi put him in the show.

the doll was just going to be a promotional "mascot" of sort and urobochi liked it so much he wanted it included in the second part of the story.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I liked Gen's quote that they could never make this show on their own. They would work incredibly hard on producing a puppet and then never let anyone touch it for fear of damaging it. Meanwhile the Pili people are launching them out of cannons to get their shots.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 1, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

the doll was just going to be a promotional "mascot" of sort and urobochi liked it so much he wanted it included in the second part of the story.

He's easily the coolest looking puppet so far. And now he's The Best Character (TM) which makes it more appropriate.

7c Nickel posted:

I liked Gen's quote that they could never make this show on their own. They would work incredibly hard on producing a puppet and then never let anyone touch it for fear of damaging it. Meanwhile the Pili people are launching them out of cannons to get their shots.

I love that Pili made stunt doubles for every character. I also love how they're all perfectionists. They re-shot a 2 second scene of a temple pillar exploding in S1 like 100 times to get it so that everyone was happy with it.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 1, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Where are these quotes from?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

Where are these quotes from?

S1E0. It's like a preview behind the scenes making of episode. It's really informative and cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The motherfucking Enigmatic Gale, that tremendous rear end.

This slimeball of a best friend that I despise.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 5, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It says a lot about Shang as a character that two of his best moments this episode consisted of immediately figuring out the situation and deciding to do absolutely nothing about it. That little wave he gave to Di was fantastic.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

This cut sums up a lot of Shang/the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hogama posted:

This cut sums up a lot of Shang/the show.

https://twitter.com/AdamWednesdays/status/1059461882338111488

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

How can one guy love being a scumbag so much?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Man, I love how the Enigmatic Gale causes such incredibly exaggerated gasps of horror wherever the name is heard, solely on the basis of how brutally he owns people. He's basically the ultimate hustler of wuxia

Also, feeling bad for poor, mass-murdering Princess of Cruelty. :( She's got an A+ win lined up, against two improbably powerful badasses, and then fate just keeps snatching things away from her. I REALLY hope she doesn't just die pointlessly at some point, she's unexpectedly entertaining.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Also, feeling bad for poor, mass-murdering Princess of Cruelty. :( She's got an A+ win lined up, against two improbably powerful badasses, and then fate just keeps snatching things away from her. I REALLY hope she doesn't just die pointlessly at some point, she's unexpectedly entertaining.

It's kinda amazing how the show frames a merciless poison user in such a way I can't help but root for her. Even the lyrics to the theme song kicked in at her declaration of pride against Shang.

It feels like she's pretty much destined to get possessed by that sword and ultimately die, but then again I figured she'd have suffered the fate of a mid-level minion and died by episode 3 already, so who knows how things pan out. Either way I can't help but hope she makes it out of the season alive and well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

It's kinda amazing how the show frames a merciless poison user in such a way I can't help but root for her. Even the lyrics to the theme song kicked in at her declaration of pride against Shang.

It feels like she's pretty much destined to get possessed by that sword and ultimately die, but then again I figured she'd have suffered the fate of a mid-level minion and died by episode 3 already, so who knows how things pan out. Either way I can't help but hope she makes it out of the season alive and well.

That, or Not-Soul-Edge gives Di Kong his purpose in life, and she either narrowly escapes or somehow plays a key role in talking him down.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I think poison lady will become a buddhist monk in the end.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wonder what Urobochi's intent is with these characters. Like the priest is basically Kirei before he took the step into being evil and we have a character thats supposed to be good at predicting these things actively try to murder him before he takes that path. His entire design screams evil. Is it going to be that obvious or will he subvert it in the end?

Likewise everything is pointing to poison girl grabbing the Aoi Yuki sword to get strong and beat Shang. It makes sense from a story telling perspective, because Fox has shown to be very little match for Shang and like he noticed, Lin has eyes on him already. But at the same time I dont think thats where the show is going, her using the sword is pretty much an admission that she's failed and it really does feel like the show is going to try and do something different.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The interesting thing about Xiao is that his name means Roaring Maniac. Names in Thunderbolt Fantasy are usually pretty straightforward descriptions of the character in question (Lang is Wandering Shaman Bard and Xie is Scorpion Necklace), so there's clearly going to be another shoe dropping there.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wonder what Urobochi's intent is with these characters. Like the priest is basically Kirei before he took the step into being evil and we have a character thats supposed to be good at predicting these things actively try to murder him before he takes that path. His entire design screams evil. Is it going to be that obvious or will he subvert it in the end?

I'm not sure how much we're supposed to agree with Lang here, though. There's something intensely hypocritical about trying to murder someone for not trying to protect a person you're also trying to murder, and then later saying your reason for trying to murder him is that he might try to murder people if he found a reason for it. Also, given everything we know about the monk if Shang hadn't shut that conversation and he heard Lang's reasons he probably would've just agreed to be murdered, too.

In general Lang and the monk contrast pretty nicely. What little talk we got from him is all about wanting to rid the world of evil, but he jumps straight to murder for that purpose and seemingly has no problem beating down innocent villagers and goes so far as to call Shang's hesitation to do the same a weakness. The monk has no regard for human life, including his own, but is self-sacrificing to a fault. I'm not very familiar with Urobochi's other body of work and only watched that one magical girl show he made, but he seems more likely to criticise the "must eradicate all evil" mindset than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Lang's immediate reaction to Enigmatic Gale is "this dude is bad news, I should beat him to death" so I trust that his instincts are sound