Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I like the James Woods version of Apu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe they could flesh out characters if every episode didn't have to have to make room for captain wacky.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Apu is lovely at being Hindu because he claimed a female statue to be Shiva. :colbert:

That would be like Ned loving Jesusette

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No matter the nonsense Apu things there's three things to remember

1. Apu did not recently become offensive, Apu was always offensive
2. People said that Apu was offensive from his creation
3. Matt Groening did not want that character to be Indian or have an accent

Those three things eviscerate every argument that bullshit horrible people have.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Apu is complicated. He is a beloved character, but there's no denying he's an offensive stereotype. But doing anything drastic to him at this point would just be a band-aid. A lot of the characters are relics of their time and don't make any sense in TYOOL 2018. Krusy is a local tv station clown character that the creators grew up watching when they were children, and at the same time is their stand in for anything Old Hollywood. Kent Brockman is a 60s'-80s news anchor. Jimbo is a Gen-X teenager. I totally know some IRL Ottos in my age group, but they'd be Uber drivers these days. And Dr. Hibbert is Bill Cosby, which uh... yeah.

Springfield is made up of non-ironic Disco Stus. I've been saying it since before South Park did. The only solution to the problem with Apu is to cancel The Simpsons. If Disney plans on doing anything with it, they should revive it firmly as a 90s period piece. King of the Hill would have a similar problem if they brought it back like they were thinking about doing, given that the characters are so tied to the late 90s/early 2000s. Though I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing it back as a sequel show with everyone aged up 15 years. Shame that they'd have to recast Luanne and Lucky. :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SirPablo posted:

I like the James Woods version of Apu.

That’s one of the best guest appearances in the series. It’s a shame he’s an insane fascist now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Apu is complicated. He is a beloved character, but there's no denying he's an offensive stereotype. But doing anything drastic to him at this point would just be a band-aid. A lot of the characters are relics of their time and don't make any sense in TYOOL 2018. Krusy is a local tv station clown character that the creators grew up watching when they were children, and at the same time is their stand in for anything Old Hollywood. Kent Brockman is a 60s'-80s news anchor. Jimbo is a Gen-X teenager. I totally know some IRL Ottos in my age group, but they'd be Uber drivers these days. And Dr. Hibbert is Bill Cosby, which uh... yeah.

Springfield is made up of non-ironic Disco Stus. I've been saying it since before South Park did. The only solution to the problem with Apu is to cancel The Simpsons. If Disney plans on doing anything with it, they should revive it firmly as a 90s period piece. King of the Hill would have a similar problem if they brought it back like they were thinking about doing, given that the characters are so tied to the late 90s/early 2000s. Though I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing it back as a sequel show with everyone aged up 15 years. Shame that they'd have to recast Luanne and Lucky. :smith:

Yes, just like they had to cancel the show after they killed off Maude, or after Doris Grau died, or after Marcia Wallace died. The show seems to be more elastic than you think it is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s like nobody gives a poo poo when Indian people like Kumail Nunjani or Aziz Ansari or Aparna Nancherla or Hasan Minhaj repeatedly say “it sucked to grow up where Apu was the only Indian on TV” and think their heartwarming memories of “Oh CALCUTTA” made it all worthwhile

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yes, just like they had to cancel the show after they killed off Maude, or after Doris Grau died, or after Marcia Wallace died. The show seems to be more elastic than you think it is.

If something happens to Dan Castellaneta, they lose a third of their male voices. If something happens to Tress MacNeille, they lose 80%. The show has the elasticity of worn out gym shorts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sure, Goku is voiced by an grandma in her 80s, but at least any given episode of Dragon Ball Super has more comedy than the last fifteen seasons of The Simpsons.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I bet they'd recast. the spice must flow

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s like nobody gives a poo poo when Indian people like Kumail Nunjani or Aziz Ansari or Aparna Nancherla or Hasan Minhaj repeatedly say “it sucked to grow up where Apu was the only Indian on TV” and think their heartwarming memories of “Oh CALCUTTA” made it all worthwhile

Yes but what's important is how I, a white person, feels.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Kumail is Pakistani

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I saw that stupid youtube video suddenly get promoted to me a lot by the algorithm and one look at that cartoon white guy B^U face I knew it exactly what it was about

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

its a real shame apu upset all those wealthy indian guys when they could make money off a documentary about it

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Bust Rodd posted:

my ethnic background is sicilian.

role models from TV and video games:

Positive: Mario (is his accent more or less offensive than Apu's btw)?
Negative: Tony Soprano, Corleone's, Tommy Vercetti, every mob movie ever made.

It's not like I give a gently caress but when I hear those guys talk about Apu, I hear the world's tinest violin playing

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It's an awkward thought to express, but I've never been completely sold on the idea that doing anything "stereotypical" with a character is inherently a bad thing. Indians (and Pakistanis) are genuinely greater overrepresented and visible in owning and working in convenience stores - the stereotype there is largely factual. And so it's unclear to me how depicting an Indian working in a convenience store is harmful, rather than simply honest, when the depiction is not malicious - which does not seem to be the case here. When Jews are painted as bankers, it's with a very deliberate intent of casting them as greedy people who aren't doing "honest work." I see no such negative impression being broadcast with Apu being a convenience store clerk, an unprestigious but otherwise unremarkable profession that the Simpsons portrays no more unfavorably than any other.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 24, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Last Chance posted:

I bet they'd recast. the spice must flow

They have enough sound bites to digitally stitch drivel together for eternity.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
What was the lowest point of this thread. (it's the never ending apu discussion)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

It's not like I give a gently caress but when I hear those guys talk about Apu, I hear the world's tinest violin playing

Just :lol: if you think that you're considered anything but white these days

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

How often do people say things like “whoa buddy don’t ‘make-a me an offer I can’t-a refuse,’” “say hello to my little friend, eh” or assume you work at your papa’s pizza joint? How about when you were a kid? From complete strangers? No need for specifics, an approximate number of times per week will do.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
While Italian stereotypes suck , it’s been decades since Italian Americans have been openly discriminated against . Southpark was right when they did their little burn against the Simpsons and sent Mr Hanky to Springfield where Apu welcomed him with a stupidly bad accent . The Simpsons can’t change , can’t evolve , can’t do anything. When Southpark has the high ground , lol .

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I grew up in New York with an Italian grandmother and I was maybe 14-15 when I realized WOP, Dego and Guinea weren’t just all purpose swear words and in fact epithets.

But yeah Italians got booted to white just in time to hate the Irish, who were promoted to white shortly after so we could all get together to make fun of brown people from Asia

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Simpsons used stereotypes of the Irish so really it's reverse racism that's the problem

Makes you :thunk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Page 140 might be the lowest point

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The simpsons is so bad that I put on one that came out a few weeks ago and laughed because it was so barely recognizable as the simpsons

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Page 140 might be the lowest point

Yeah sorry for stirring this poo poo up, I shoulda just made fun of the bad video and left it at that. Here's a good video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s one of the best guest appearances in the series. It’s a shame he’s an insane fascist now.

It creeps me out that Family Guy pokes mild, gentle fun at him for being a pedophilic self-centered rear end in a top hat.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the simpsons open contempt for Lisa is lol

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

the simpsons open contempt for Lisa is lol

Just another thing they stole from Family Guy, without ever thinking whether it made any sense to begin with.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

THE BAR posted:

They have enough sound bites to digitally stitch drivel together for eternity.

Simpsons Shitshowing

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

THE BAR posted:

Just another thing they stole from Family Guy, without ever thinking whether it made any sense to begin with.

what exactly did the simpsons steal from family guy ?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

The daughter character became everyone's punching bag.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

I guess the whole open contempt for Meg thing, though I always thought that was FG's response to Lisa to begin with.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I guess the whole open contempt for Meg thing, though I always thought that was FG's response to Lisa to begin with.

They also openly tried to mimick the cadence and humour of FG around... I want to say when the movie came out?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

THE BAR posted:

They also openly tried to mimick the cadence and humour of FG around... I want to say when the movie came out?

These shows are truly an Ouroboros of lazy comedy

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
We need a half hour show after The Simpsons called Talking Simpsons. It will be 30 minutes of commercial-packed discussion equivalent to 140 pages of poo poo posting. Weekly!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SirPablo posted:

We need a half hour show after The Simpsons called Talking Simpsons. It will be 30 minutes of commercial-packed discussion equivalent to 140 pages of poo poo posting. Weekly!

There’s a pretty good podcast called that hosted by one of the front page writers here, Bob Mackey.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

There's a podcast called Talking Simpsons and these days every episode is 3 hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s a pretty good podcast called that hosted by one of the front page writers here, Bob Mackey.

Wow! A Bob Mackey.