Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You pick two at most out of fast, cheap, and good and BBC funding ain't what it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think there's more than a little truth behind that music video the cast and crew of Doctor Who made for RTD before he left, with Tennant playing RTD as a chainsmoking, stressed out ball of tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKyBIJix78

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The RTD book about writing Who is just page after page of chain-smoking, stress and chronic overwork.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell, even the old Doctor Who confidentials:

"So they called up and told me the bus we sent to Dubai got totaled...."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/status/1054900384051945472

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Box of Bunnies posted:

Man the production team must've been running themselves ragged in the RTD years to produce four regular series plus a year of "the star is off doing theater so here's four hour long specials instead" compared to everything that's come since.

RTD and Julie Gardner are legit two of the best people working in the business for getting poo poo done. And RTD is a legit nice guy on top of all that. Very rare. Never met Julie.

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013
Does anyone think Ryan and Yas were supposed to be younger but got aged up for some reason?

To me there characterisation works much better if I imagine there 16, like Yas's weird family outburst or the horrible call of duty thing they had Ryan do in Ghost Monument.

Hell I think it would of made most of there moments in the latest episode land even stronger.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Plavski posted:

The RTD book about writing Who is just page after page of chain-smoking, stress and chronic overwork.

That book was so eye opening to how rough the last few years of RTDs run was, and how close it got to falling apart, yet kept completely hidden from the public view.

I'd love to have had a Moffat version.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

aroundtheback posted:

Does anyone think Ryan and Yas were supposed to be younger but got aged up for some reason?

To me there characterisation works much better if I imagine there 16, like Yas's weird family outburst or the horrible call of duty thing they had Ryan do in Ghost Monument.

Hell I think it would of made most of there moments in the latest episode land even stronger.

16 makes sense for Ryan (although I also think he reads just fine as a kinda dopey early 20-something), but Yas has a job that's actually at least threatening relevance to the story, if not quite getting there yet.

I'd really like to get a bit of insight into what Ryan does with his life, because I think that's what's missing. For all the focus he gets, we don't really get to see him as anything but reactive to what's going on around him and a victim of his disorder; we don't really know what he does, what he wants.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
By the way, the Doctor Who Twitter just uploaded a case file on Krasko. Confirming that with this stuff, Occam's Razor applies: It really is that simple, he's just a massive racist.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1055072636378714112

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Muppetjedi posted:

That book was so eye opening to how rough the last few years of RTDs run was, and how close it got to falling apart, yet kept completely hidden from the public view.

i'm thinking moffat lacks the necessary level of self-reflection to write anything like that

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

By the way, the Doctor Who Twitter just uploaded a case file on Krasko. Confirming that with this stuff, Occam's Razor applies: It really is that simple, he's just a massive racist.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1055072636378714112

Honestly I like that a bit better than the “maybe we misunderstood him, and he hates humans in general”. Nah, racism still exists in the far future and this guy is just a massive time-douche.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cerv posted:

i'm thinking moffat lacks the necessary level of self-reflection to write anything like that

Well, RTD's version was just e-mail correspondence with DWM writer Benjamin Cook printed out and organized.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Muppetjedi posted:

This, but without the delinquent toddler's self-awareness at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYz2M6zoII

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm pretty sure the Moffat version would be riddled with "needless to say, I had the last laugh" type anecdotes.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I'm reminded of this exchange that supposedly took place while editing Fiveish Doctors

quote:

Moffat: Hang on! I'm the evil one in this thing!
Davison: Have you only just realised that?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My favorite Moffat thing was his production notes column in DWM when he received the tape of the Sarah Jane Adventures story with the Eleventh Doctor. He went on to explain how as Who show runner, he could no longer experience the feeling of watching a Who story cold, since he was heavily involved in every step of the process of making an episode, even watching the final product felt like he had already seen it a dozen times. But since he had nothing to do with SJA, he could finally see an Eleventh Doctor episode cold, with no idea of what was going to happen next. He was so excited! Then the episode starts, and he wrote something like: "Wait, what? 'Death of the Doctor'?! RUSSELL!!!!"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://twitter.com/SamiraAhmedUK/status/1053343103032139778

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, no mention of Cracker that I can see, which I'm fairly sure was his big breakthrough role.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
To be fair, I think we all wanted to forget Thor: The Dark World.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'd drop everything to make people realise I was in two scenes of one episode of League of Gentlemen where I played a man who opened a cat cinema.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, tragic he left off GI Joe

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And Heroes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, no mention of Cracker that I can see, which I'm fairly sure was his big breakthrough role.

Cracker is second-to-last on the TV list, before Sarah Silverman

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I like that a bit better than the “maybe we misunderstood him, and he hates humans in general”. Nah, racism still exists in the far future and this guy is just a massive time-douche.

It's also pretty good timing to depict a very angry, American white supremacist raging against small steps forward that happened long before he was born, mostly by trying to rewrite history with little lies and changes to discredit and disempower the Civil Rights movement - the Supreme Court laid the foundations to strip away the VRA a few years ago and, well, look what's happening.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

:lol: at people who said it couldn’t happen again.

:smith: please

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'll say "Darrrrrrn you, Chibbers!!" once it gets confirmed, because my hope with the episode count being reduced would be that there would be fewer delays. It means every actor stays with the role a little less long :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But the production all seems bigger this time around. More international filming, better cinematography, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

But the production all seems bigger this time around. More international filming, better cinematography, etc.

Yeah, the quality has definitely increased, and that's good, but losing a season and a half every two years is a hell of a tradeoff. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

Cracker is second-to-last on the TV list, before Sarah Silverman

So it is. No clue how I missed it. :p

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a feeling the reason for the intricate plan was that if he just timejumped Rosa out of 1955, her friends and family would notice and it would ripple in a less predictable way, or Time Cops or whatever would notice the massive change. Just stopping her from needing to give up her seat is a small, subtle thing that no one would notice until it was too late.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had an experience recently where I called the guy sending bombs to a bunch of prominent black people in Austin a terrorist on my Facebook feed and my mom showed up to say "he wasn't a terrorist," and "how do you know he was racially motivated?"

He was bombing black people to spread terror.

I kept asking her, "why are you showing up to defend a terrorist bomber?" and she just kept saying "there's no proof this is about race."

People go so incredibly far out of their way to say that things aren't racist that they'll defend even the most cartoonishly evil things to prove that white people can't be racist ever. Things that happen in real life where if you put them in a screenplay in a writing class, your professor would be like, "isn't this a little too on the nose? Maybe be more subtle with it."

So it comes as absolutely no shock to me that there was an entire contingent of people who saw the episode about the racist time traveler and said, "surely there's more to his motivations than just being racist. Let's theorycraft!" And then she show came out and said "no, you knobs. He's just racist." And that's seen by some as disappointing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyone who hasn't seen Cracker needs to go loving watch it right now. It's up there with The Wire for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Anyone who hasn't seen Cracker needs to go loving watch it right now. It's up there with The Wire for me.

Yeah, it's great. Both parts of "One Day a Lemming Will Fly" together make one of the best all-time tv episodes. Also has a great early appearance by Robert Carlyle in what I'm fairly sure was his pre-Transpotting breakthrough part.

(The Hong Kong special and the Spooks ripoff they obviously wanted to be a revival pilot then sold as a tv movie are not great.)

Anyway, it's Cracker and Prime Suspect for me, they're in the running for the two best British television dramas of the past 30 years or so.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's a shame it's not available for streaming anywhere. I still have rips on my hard drive from the PAL VHS tapes I digitized that a friend mailed me from the UK in like 1998. I don't think it ever even got released outside Region 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's a shame it's not available for streaming anywhere. I still have rips on my hard drive from the PAL VHS tapes I digitized that a friend mailed me from the UK in like 1998. I don't think it ever even got released outside Region 2.

There were DVDs in Australia -- at least two separate printings, the latter where they edited all the multi-part stories into horrendously unwieldy feature-length productions -- and it's available on itunes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

So it is. No clue how I missed it. :p

Twitter cut it off unless I viewed the image in full. I was looking for it too.

No mention of Gone in 60 Seconds either.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a feeling the reason for the intricate plan was that if he just timejumped Rosa out of 1955, her friends and family would notice and it would ripple in a less predictable way, or Time Cops or whatever would notice the massive change. Just stopping her from needing to give up her seat is a small, subtle thing that no one would notice until it was too late.

That's a really good point. If she disappeared they'd probably figure someone murdered her and that would have sent things off in all sorts of new directions.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Why would you be glad to see that black/white racism still exists millennia from now? Isn't that thought actually massively loving depressing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Pretending that racism just ~vanishes~ over time is a neoliberal end-of-history fantasy that only hurts antiracist activism. Better to acknowledge, face, and denounce the evils that fester and recur in humanity than pretend those forms of hate will just fade away.