Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Duckman2008 posted:

Someone would have to be willing to get a new number. The phone itself can go to a different number, but the added number HAS to stay active for 24 months to get the full discount. So the main scenarios I see for people trying to manipulate it:

1. Customer happens to be adding their kid on soon, so they add a line, mom and dad get pixel 3, kid gets one of the old phones. Alternatively, I’ve seen customers convert the extra line to a tablet or jetpack.

2. Customer adds line, and whichever family member is willing takes that number, and cancels their current phone.

3. Customer keeps current phone numbers, adds a line for $20 a month , and just leaves it on since getting the $33 monthly payment plan free means you’re still getting some discount. So there’s just an extra number no one uses.

4. The nerd path is to port your number to google voice.

Personally, #3 I see sometimes, but people always forget they’re paying tax and fee on the added line, so I rarely recommend it, it’s pretty close to a wash.

Overall, the Verizon response is it’s for customers adding an extra line a service, not for two existing customers. Verizon promos for upgrading phones has been really tepid lately, I haven’t seen a decent deal in months. I haven’t seen aggressive deals from Sprint or T-Mobile lately, likely due to the merger, so the phone companies seem to be happy with the status quo for now. Plus, Verizon is super focused on 5G, so I have a feeling one way they’re trying to save costs on is by not having as aggressive promotions on phones.

Which all kind of sucks. So if you don’t want to do any of the above, and your phones are working, I’m curious to see if any promotions come out in the next month or two. They had a flash sale on the Note for $200 off, so it’s always possible they discount the Pixel at some point.

I"m ok with the nerd path (see my edit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

I"m ok with the nerd path (see my edit).

You can, but I honestly don’t know if having the number come back so soon disqualifies it. I’m off today, I can check to see if it says anything on it tomorrow.

In theory it shouldn’t, the system just looks for existing or new.

Google voice porting can take time (24 hours each way), if you wanted something quicker you can also do prepaid at one of the carrier’s. T-Mobile used to offer a $10 plan for like, 100 minutes.

I guess it depends on who it is for, but google voice works fine if you just want to leave the number on it. I use it with my iPhone, and it works even better with android phones.

If you order online and want my referral code, feel free to PM me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You can, but I honestly don’t know if having the number come back so soon disqualifies it. I’m off today, I can check to see if it says anything on it tomorrow.

In theory it shouldn’t, the system just looks for existing or new.

Google voice porting can take time (24 hours each way), if you wanted something quicker you can also do prepaid at one of the carrier’s. T-Mobile used to offer a $10 plan for like, 100 minutes.

I guess it depends on who it is for, but google voice works fine if you just want to leave the number on it. I use it with my iPhone, and it works even better with android phones.

If you order online and want my referral code, feel free to PM me.

Ok, cool.

So if I go some form of the nerd route (whether I kill his line, port it out, or whatever), does it matter which phone is on which line so long as the 'new' line stays in service?

Because what I might do is:

1. Port kid's line off to GVoice so it's at least kept for posterity
2. Order my phone and get the new line for the new phone
3. Swap wife's SIM into extra phone
4. Drop extra phone's SIM into my phone (or wife's phone, doesn't matter because they're identical)
5. Decide if we want to keep kid's # on GVoice and tell his friends he has a new # (and install GVoice so he can tell them himself).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ok, cool.

So if I go some form of the nerd route (whether I kill his line, port it out, or whatever), does it matter which phone is on which line so long as the 'new' line stays in service?

Because what I might do is:

1. Port kid's line off to GVoice so it's at least kept for posterity
2. Order my phone and get the new line for the new phone
3. Swap wife's SIM into extra phone
4. Drop extra phone's SIM into my phone (or wife's phone, doesn't matter because they're identical)
5. Decide if we want to keep kid's # on GVoice and tell his friends he has a new # (and install GVoice so he can tell them himself).

Yup that’s fine. Doesn’t matter whether the free phone is on the added line or not, what matters is that it was a new line of service.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup that’s fine. Doesn’t matter whether the free phone is on the added line or not, what matters is that it was a new line of service.

Rockin. PM incoming

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So let me guess, the driving force behind the "new line" bullshit with BOGO deals is so VZW can count them as unique subscribers and use the data to inflate their numbers?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Man what

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So let me guess, the driving force behind the "new line" bullshit with BOGO deals is so VZW can count them as unique subscribers and use the data to inflate their numbers?

It’s a good guess sir.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I mean, it's not a bullshit line, it's a new line of service.

Not everyone is in a situation like mine with 1 or more "disposable" lines that I can use to leverage this deal with.

This kind of deal encourages people who might be on the fence to pull the trigger.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

In a just world you'd think that they'd have a least a "buy one get one half off" for current customers that don't want to add a line but that wouldn't help their *~growth~*

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I'm hoping y'all run a similar deal to last year's Black Friday / early Dec deal where I got my P2 for basically ~$13 a month (think it was basically $300 off w/ no trade in req). Still contemplating but anything under $20 for the P3 and I'm upgrading.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

duck trucker posted:

In a just world you'd think that they'd have a least a "buy one get one half off" for current customers that don't want to add a line but that wouldn't help their *~growth~*

Holy hell yes. They don’t need to offer the same to current customers, just throw a bone of some sort.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a buddy who moved further out to BFE and his sprint hotspot isn’t covering his internet. His phone plan is through Verizon and data works ok... what’s the easiest way for him to add that to his plan. Is that something Duckman can do for him?
Also are these kits that have Yagi-Uda antennas sold for Verizon hotspots compatible or is there a way to peak it for him?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
If I buy a Motorola G6 on Project Fi, can that be ported over to Verizon pre-paid?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

If I buy a Motorola G6 on Project Fi, can that be ported over to Verizon pre-paid?

Should work. I can check tomorrow.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman, did you get credit for my upgrades?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Duckman, did you get credit for my upgrades?

I did , much appreciated sir. Hope the phones are working well!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sweet. Yeah. The P3XL is pretty baller.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a similar, but slightly different question, since while I know the P3 is the baller hotness right now, I don't have any use for two phones, but the V40 has a pretty sweet deal of $200 off + $300 off w/new line. I have two lines (phone + cell-enabled-laptop); would I be able to cancel my second line, grab the V40 as a new line, and then either move the V40 onto my primary line, or do the primary->GVoice->V40 (on secondary line)? Basically I want to keep my current phone number for my actual phone, but I do not care what the secondary number is.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hmmxkrazee posted:

I'm hoping y'all run a similar deal to last year's Black Friday / early Dec deal where I got my P2 for basically ~$13 a month (think it was basically $300 off w/ no trade in req). Still contemplating but anything under $20 for the P3 and I'm upgrading.

Yeah, same. I did this to get my og pixel, so I'd love to be able to repeat it now that I'm ready to upgrade.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

XIII posted:

Yeah, same. I did this to get my og pixel, so I'd love to be able to repeat it now that I'm ready to upgrade.

I'm in the same boat as you. My og pixel is pretty much dead and I really want a p3, just not full price.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
FWIW, I went through Verizon's online chat service to set up a P3 BOGO, keeping my one existing line, and setting up a new line to port over my sister's number from another Verizon account. I repeatedly was told this was all a-ok, I'd just need to call 'em up after my sister got her phone so they could move the number over onto the new line. When I went to do so, I was told firmly that there was no way that could be done, and that changing anything about that new line on my account--including its number--would immediately void the BOGO offer, so my sister could either deal with a new random number, or I could be on the hook for $800. Thankfully I did the original deal on chat and saved all the chat logs, because now I have to go and argue with Verizon's various levels of customer service over whether or not their sales rep straight up lied to me, and how they're going to un-gently caress this.

A total of four different reps were also unable to correctly execute a simple shipping address switch (after the original rep punched the addresses in wrong), resulting in my phones ending up in the wrong states for a while.

I like Verizon's services and whatnot, but holy gently caress a lot of their reps are simply Not Good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

FWIW, I went through Verizon's online chat service to set up a P3 BOGO, keeping my one existing line, and setting up a new line to port over my sister's number from another Verizon account. I repeatedly was told this was all a-ok, I'd just need to call 'em up after my sister got her phone so they could move the number over onto the new line. When I went to do so, I was told firmly that there was no way that could be done, and that changing anything about that new line on my account--including its number--would immediately void the BOGO offer, so my sister could either deal with a new random number, or I could be on the hook for $800. Thankfully I did the original deal on chat and saved all the chat logs, because now I have to go and argue with Verizon's various levels of customer service over whether or not their sales rep straight up lied to me, and how they're going to un-gently caress this.

A total of four different reps were also unable to correctly execute a simple shipping address switch (after the original rep punched the addresses in wrong), resulting in my phones ending up in the wrong states for a while.

I like Verizon's services and whatnot, but holy gently caress a lot of their reps are simply Not Good.

Yeah, I mean I’m glad you have the chats, but you didn’t qualify for the promo doing it that way. How, or i guess if, they fix it I have no idea. Your best bet is definitely calling the Loyalty department.

Call here (800) 392-0717

When it says “what would you like to do?” Say “cancel” and it’ll get you right to a live person in that department.

Edit: my personal recommendation to consider is Move her number to google voice. Google voice works fine, and even if you later move it back (like in 3 months) at that point it should be considered a new number vs current number.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I mean I’m glad you have the chats, but you didn’t qualify for the promo doing it that way.

I don't really have a problem with not qualifying for the promo, but that's why I was very specific about what I was doing and asked repeatedly if it would be ok: if I'd been told no, I'd have taken another path. Being flatly told it would work, only to have that taken back later, is what I find highly irritating.

From what they're telling me, the GVoice path won't work, anyhow, since they're saying that you can't ever change the number on the new line, regardless of where the ported number is coming from. But at this point I have no idea if they actually know what they're talking about or not :iiam:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

I don't really have a problem with not qualifying for the promo, but that's why I was very specific about what I was doing and asked repeatedly if it would be ok: if I'd been told no, I'd have taken another path. Being flatly told it would work, only to have that taken back later, is what I find highly irritating.

From what they're telling me, the GVoice path won't work, anyhow, since they're saying that you can't ever change the number on the new line, regardless of where the ported number is coming from. But at this point I have no idea if they actually know what they're talking about or not :iiam:

Yeah, it does suck that they have you wrong info when it should have been obvious to them you didn’t qualify.

Eh, in theory you can change the number later, it just has to stay active as a new line. I haven’t had someone try the “switch to different carrier then switch back as a new customer” with this promo so I’m not sure how long you would have to wait. “Win back” is normally 30 days, so minimum that long.

Call loyalty first, see what they’ll do.

some of it I guess depends on how comfortable she is with technology, but google voice works really well with android, so it would be almost the same user experience using that as having the number on Verizon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

This is, indeed, what my near future is going to involve. Also yelling at UPS, since they managed to deliver my Pixel 3 XL--not to my sister, like originally (incorrectly) addressed, not to me after the address change processed...but to some random apartment complex in an entirely different state. My expectations on them recovering that particular package are rather low, which should be fun to resolve.

Duckman2008 posted:

some of it I guess depends on how comfortable she is with technology, but google voice works really well with android, so it would be almost the same user experience using that as having the number on Verizon.
Not as comfortable as would be helpful for this case, but this may be the way I end up having to go if Verizon won't take ownership of their mistake. Her current phone is on its last legs, but there's no way she'd be ok with paying full freight for a new phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

This is, indeed, what my near future is going to involve. Also yelling at UPS, since they managed to deliver my Pixel 3 XL--not to my sister, like originally (incorrectly) addressed, not to me after the address change processed...but to some random apartment complex in an entirely different state. My expectations on them recovering that particular package are rather low, which should be fun to resolve.

Not as comfortable as would be helpful for this case, but this may be the way I end up having to go if Verizon won't take ownership of their mistake. Her current phone is on its last legs, but there's no way she'd be ok with paying full freight for a new phone.

I do hope that they fix it and it sucks to go from essentially a promised $800 credit to a $0 credit.

Outside of that, one thing I just don’t get is the statement of “no way xx person is willing to pay full price for a phone.” It’s probably just a personal pet peeve since I hear it every day, but man, of all the things that makes ones day easier, a smartphone is probably one of the most essential tools. I don’t expect people to upgrade every year, but I see people come in putting all this effort into making the old phone work, and it’s def to the point of “surely your time is worth more than the cost of the phone.”

I’m betting you’re more eluding to phones being $800+ , and there are def deals on phones. But yeah, it drives me crazy, and there are decent phones for less than $800 if it came down to it for people.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m betting you’re more eluding to phones being $800+ , and there are def deals on phones. But yeah, it drives me crazy, and there are decent phones for less than $800 if it came down to it for people.

Far more this. She'll end up getting a new phone soon one way or another, but $800+ is simply not in her budget. She was super happy about the BOGO deal since splitting it with me meant she'd get a great phone for effectively $400--much more manageable for her. If Verizon's fix for this is to just cancel the whole thing and take the phones back, she might end up going with something like the 6T, or waiting for Black Friday and the inevitable discounts/deals on LG phones.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Have corporate store employees had their responsibilities taken away, to the point of just being allowed to sell phones and permitted to do nothing else?

Made some time to go to a store with my father to bring my parents' lines onto my account. I assumed showing up in person would've been easier because they could just pull up the accounts, confirm our photo IDs, and do the transfer.

The guy behind the counter points down at his POS iPad and says "so, uh, bad news, they don't let us do assumption of liability in-store anymore." He writes an 800 number on a post-it, and hands it to us. Didn't outright say it, but he was politely implying that the post-it is the extent of any help we'll get in the store. I believe the dude that his hands are tied, this isn't a complaint about him in particular, just that he's not empowered to actually do anything.

The cherry on top was that we went back home, got annoyed, realized we could've done it online in the first place. That part is what we get for going to a corporate-owned phone company store expecting to do business with the phone company.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Have corporate store employees had their responsibilities taken away, to the point of just being allowed to sell phones and permitted to do nothing else?

Made some time to go to a store with my father to bring my parents' lines onto my account. I assumed showing up in person would've been easier because they could just pull up the accounts, confirm our photo IDs, and do the transfer.

The guy behind the counter points down at his POS iPad and says "so, uh, bad news, they don't let us do assumption of liability in-store anymore." He writes an 800 number on a post-it, and hands it to us. Didn't outright say it, but he was politely implying that the post-it is the extent of any help we'll get in the store. I believe the dude that his hands are tied, this isn't a complaint about him in particular, just that he's not empowered to actually do anything.

The cherry on top was that we went back home, got annoyed, realized we could've done it online in the first place. That part is what we get for going to a corporate-owned phone company store expecting to do business with the phone company.

Well there’s two things to this:

A. Corp store employees can do transfers, however half the time the system doesn’t work and we have to call the transfer number anyway.

B. The person probably thought that it would waste his time since it wasn’t a sale.

Obviously doesn’t justify being rude / not helping. Better answer is to check both accounts, give info, offer to try and transfer with the disclaimer that sometimes it has to be called in anyway.

So partial wrong employee, partial systems are dumb and cause behavior like that to be encouraged.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Took awhile to get everything arranged, re-process the line transfers, do something called a TNI (T&I?), but--if the Loyalty rep is to be believed--it should all be sorted out now, with the phone numbers moved over and the BOGO promotion still applied. So props to Loyalty for taking care of things.

Now if only UPS could figure out where they managed to "deliver" my phone... (hint: it wasn't in the state I'm currently in)

Transcendi
Jan 6, 2004

SGT. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Question for Duckman - I'm looking at the current promos for iPhone XR/XS/XS Max, and it looks like as long as I trade in any phone off the eligible phones list, I'll get $300 credit over 24 months as long as it's a new line.

1. Am I missing something? If I buy a phone off Craigslist for $50 then trade it in, will I somehow get dinged later?
2. Related to #1, do I have to tell them anything about the trade-in at the time I buy the new phone?
3. What if I'm porting in a number that used to be a Verizon number until about a week ago? I think someone asked a question similar to this a few posts ago, not sure if you were able to get a definitive answer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Transcendi posted:

Question for Duckman - I'm looking at the current promos for iPhone XR/XS/XS Max, and it looks like as long as I trade in any phone off the eligible phones list, I'll get $300 credit over 24 months as long as it's a new line.

1. Am I missing something? If I buy a phone off Craigslist for $50 then trade it in, will I somehow get dinged later?
2. Related to #1, do I have to tell them anything about the trade-in at the time I buy the new phone?
3. What if I'm porting in a number that used to be a Verizon number until about a week ago? I think someone asked a question similar to this a few posts ago, not sure if you were able to get a definitive answer.

Phone has to turn on (aka function) and not be on the lost stolen list. Otherwise that part is fine.

Is this a whole new account coming back, or were you part of a family plan? The only concern I would have is that if you closed out an account under your social, and try to re start service in a week under your social, the system might flag you as a “win back,” which can impede with the promo.

Feel free to PM me, I don’t mind helping. FYI I work tomorrow then I’m out on vacation until later in the week, although I will of course diligently be checking these forums because In reality I really don’t have a life.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Will this:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/motorola-one

Work on Verizon?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not really. It doesn't have CDMA support, which doesn't technically matter anymore, but it's also missing LTE band 13, which is their main one.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Endless Mike posted:

Not really. It doesn't have CDMA support, which doesn't technically matter anymore, but it's also missing LTE band 13, which is their main one.

I was thinking it was missing something, thanks!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I have a question about the new "Above Unlimited" plans.

It looks like they offer 75GB premium data, which means unthrottled, right? After that you're subject to throttling if traffic is high?

I'm considering dropping my ancient Unlimited plan and my last 6 months usage is around 42-74GB/m, but the important thing to note is that I have the sim for the Unlimited plan in a 4G router instead of a phone. (Because of that, I haven't been able to make plan changes on that line in years. It fails and tells me to call a rep.)

It's crucial that I be able to use that router, since this is literally my only non-satellite internet option and my wife uses it to work from home. That being said, if I activated a new line and just requested a sim card, could I throw it into that router and continue as-is, or do they disallow devices like the router on these plans?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

I have a question about the new "Above Unlimited" plans.

It looks like they offer 75GB premium data, which means unthrottled, right? After that you're subject to throttling if traffic is high?

I'm considering dropping my ancient Unlimited plan and my last 6 months usage is around 42-74GB/m, but the important thing to note is that I have the sim for the Unlimited plan in a 4G router instead of a phone. (Because of that, I haven't been able to make plan changes on that line in years. It fails and tells me to call a rep.)

It's crucial that I be able to use that router, since this is literally my only non-satellite internet option and my wife uses it to work from home. That being said, if I activated a new line and just requested a sim card, could I throw it into that router and continue as-is, or do they disallow devices like the router on these plans?

Yeah, don’t do this. They would change it to a 15GB (then slowed down) plan. The reason is is that you’re not supposed to be getting internet the way you are with that plan. More power to you that it’s working, but definitely do not change or mess with that plan.

The new plans Verizon seems to be much better at picking up what the device type is, and changing the plan accordingly.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, don’t do this. They would change it to a 15GB (then slowed down) plan. The reason is is that you’re not supposed to be getting internet the way you are with that plan. More power to you that it’s working, but definitely do not change or mess with that plan.

The new plans Verizon seems to be much better at picking up what the device type is, and changing the plan accordingly.

That's what I was afraid of, thanks for the warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

If you have AT&T reception, you could look into the "ipad plan" which is $30 and unlimited that many people use with routers like the Nighthawk.