Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Conor did try to strike while being grappled, and he wasn't able to generate any power between having no base and having to hit 6 inches away from him with his long arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Conor did try to strike while being grappled, and he wasn't able to generate any power between having no base and having to hit 6 inches away from him with his long arms.

Bro, Bruce Lee can knock a man out with a one in punch. Conor just needed to channel his chi better.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

david carmichael posted:

Up until the second diaz fight i dont think conor did a lot of opponent specific training. I think he just did more general skill stuff with the idea that hed be ready to fight anyobe anytime. Tbh i think thats a good mindset at lower levels

that might be true too. he exploited a lot of guys’ habits really well but otoh i guess when you’ve got cheat reach and big power (at 145) it gives you a lot of options in a fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joe Rogan told me that José Aldo gave up a football/soccer career to get peanuts and brain damage in the UFC in comparison and I believe him

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The only person I've ever seen knock out someone from the bottom was when Uriah Hall was on TUF and he KOed some aussie or kiwi from guard.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was that guy this year in UFC who hammerfisted a dude to a KO win from bottom. Forget their names but it was an undercard fight if I recall.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
That was awesome, Niko Price was the guy doing it, I forget the victim off the top of my head. I think it may have been a DWTNCS alum.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

evobatman posted:

This is probably a dumb question and I think I might even have asked it before.

What if you are in a situation like Conor was with Khabib locking up his legs, and instead of desperately trying to defend against his wrestling, you focus on doing damage to his head or soft parts of the body with lots of punching? We did see that guy who got knocked out by hammerfists while grappling just a few weeks ago.

It's really hard to generate power from that position so usually you just end up annoying the guy while getting taken down even quicker.

There's obviously a few guys who have had success with it. Aside from the already mentioned stuff, Browne/Barnett comes to mind. But yeah, in general it's not a super successful strategy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://streamable.com/kebp4

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Bisping wasn't getting KO damage on GSP, but his elbows from bottom were pretty strong and were doing some serious damage in their fight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Paul Buentello tapped to hammerfists to the thigh against Cheick Kongo

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Mekchu posted:

There was that guy this year in UFC who hammerfisted a dude to a KO win from bottom. Forget their names but it was an undercard fight if I recall.

It happened within 2 months ago but I can't remember who

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Those are two very loving fast upkicks, goddamn

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Niko Price and Randy Brown.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veskit posted:

It happened within 2 months ago but I can't remember who

It was Niko Price like someone said a bit earlier.

https://i.imgur.com/qDSGocB.mp4

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRoTZXOgmgA&t=146s

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Mekchu posted:

Nobody linked it I can't be held responsible for my stupidity

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Reminder that Khabib ran into the bus bathroom when Conor tapped on the glass.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Still amazing that Herb was so shocked he got knocked out from punches on top that he didn't even realize the guy was out until four or five more punches landed

Then again lately Herb just wants to see people die so it's a coin flip on which scenario

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I don't like calling ppl out but whoever said conor doesn't train for his opponents lol

EVERYONE in the top 10 of each div trains for their opponents ffs, it's literally how punchsports works, that's what the whole 'everyone gotta plan' quote et al. is about, why mma math and p4p is dumb as hell, etc.

That was a very uneducated comment sorry

mewse
May 2, 2006

My mind is still boggling that SBG's head striking coach wasn't prepared for mayweather to use a high guard and walk Conor down instead of relying on philly shell exclusively

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mekchu posted:

The moment that guys right arm bends herb should have been on it drat. Very interesting that price seems to be holding him in place with his leg before hes unconscious too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mekchu posted:

That's such a weird position that I really wish that clip started earlier to see how they got there

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

evobatman posted:

This is probably a dumb question and I think I might even have asked it before.

What if you are in a situation like Conor was with Khabib locking up his legs, and instead of desperately trying to defend against his wrestling, you focus on doing damage to his head or soft parts of the body with lots of punching? We did see that guy who got knocked out by hammerfists while grappling just a few weeks ago.

Then you're not using your arms to stop him from advancing position and tying up your whole body instead of just your legs. It's a good way to get mounted or crucifixed. I was hoping we'd see Khabib crucifix Conor I don't think he's done it since he scorched the horch

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

NSAC dealing w/ Khabib & Conor https://www.facebook.com/ReviewJournalSports/videos/1907609712665589/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I had no idea the UFC was still withholding Khabib's money. I take it that motion just now was for the UFC to pay the NSAC that money for "safekeeping" pending their ruling

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

nevada's withholding 1/2 his fight purse which is like 1 mil until further hearing but he's still getting his ppv money which is a couple mil more or somethin

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Isn't the rumor that Khabib was supposed to make like $15mm with his purse + PPVs?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

spb posted:

Reminder that Khabib ran into the bus bathroom when Conor tapped on the glass.

Reminder that Khabib soiled his underwear (looks like that hat that he wears) as a result of fear he experienced from Conor tapping on the glass.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Those are two very loving fast upkicks, goddamn

mousasi is the world's most frustrating fighter. his potential was sky high. then he drew with keith jardine.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1055144938722258944

quote:

UFC, ONE close to trade involving Demetrious Johnson, Ben Askren
1:09 PM ET

Ariel HelwaniESPN Staff Writer

Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print

The UFC and ONE Championship are close to finalizing what could be considered the first major trade in mixed martial arts history.

According to multiple sources, there is a proposed deal on the table for the UFC to release former flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson from his contract in order to allow him to sign with ONE, and in return ONE will release former welterweight champion Ben Askren from his contract so he could finally join the UFC.

Sources say the "trade" isn't finalized just yet, however, it has been discussed at length and is categorized by multiple sources as close to getting done. All parties involved are hopeful it will be finalized soon..

Both Johnson and Askren have multiple fights left on their respective contracts, according to sources.

While trades of this kind are common in the major sports, a transaction of this magnitude has never been done before in MMA.

The proposed deal was first discussed on MMA Junkie Radio.

Johnson (27-3-1) recently lost the flyweight title to Henry Cejudo in August. The loss snapped his 13-fight winning streak, as well his record-breaking 11-fight successful title defense streak. Worth noting, Matt Hume, Johnson's head coach at AMC Pankration in Kirkland, WA, also serves as ONE's vice president of operations.

Askren (18-0, 1 NC), a former Bellator welterweight champion, as well, announced his retirement from the sport following his first-round victory over Shinya Aoki in November 2017. Though, following his announcement, Askren said he was open to fighting the likes of Georges St-Pierre or Rory MacDonald.

On Monday, Askren tweeted that there was a "98%" chance of him joining the UFC, catching many off guard considering he has verbally sparred on a few occasions with UFC president Dana White.

98% https://t.co/j80LsQW0iw
— Ben Askren (@Benaskren) October 22, 2018

The priority for all involved at this time is to complete the transaction, as hurdles remain, sources say. Debuts for both fighters have not been seriously discussed at this time.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he beat kyotaro in a kickboxing match. like wtf how did he not knock out keith jardine.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i assume Dana would release DJ and then just not sign Askren

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's gonna be weird to see the UFC go from not promoting DJ to not promoting DJ

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

He’s running away from TJ

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Metro whatever is going to have to film new commercials

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Dana White: All right. Where is the PPV ratings poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both trade fighters, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Chatri Sityodtong: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the ratings poison into his own PPV or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own PPV, because he would know that only a great fool would put a flyweight in an American MMA headlining spot. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the fighter in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the fighter in front of me.

Dana White: You've made your decision then?

Chatri Sityodtong: Not remotely. Because Ben Askren is a wrestler, as everyone knows, and Wrestlers are notoriously loathed by the stand and bang crowd, and the stand and bang crowd buys MMA ppvs despite the defining aspect of the sport being the addition of grappling to kickboxing, so I can clearly not choose the fighter in front of you.

Dana White: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Chatri Sityodtong: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?

Dana White: Wrestling.

Chatri Sityodtong: Yes, Wrestling. And you must have suspected I would have known of Ben Askrens style, so I can clearly not choose the fighter in front of me.

Dana White: You're just stalling now.

Chatri Sityodtong: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten Strikeforce, which means you're and exceptional promoter, so you could've put the ratings poison on your own side, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the fighter in front of you. But, you've also bested PRIDE, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that any promotion can fail, so you would have put the ratings poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the fighter in front of me.

Dana White: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.

Chatri Sityodtong: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE RATINGS POISON IS!

Dana White: Then make your choice.

Chatri Sityodtong: I will, and I choose... what in the world can that be?

[Sityodtong gestures up and away from the negotiation table. Dana White looks backwards. Sityodtong swaps the fighters contracts]

Dana White: What? Where? I don't see anything.

Chatri Sityodtong: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. But no matter.

[Tries to hold back laughter]

Dana White: What's so funny?

Chatri Sityodtong: I'll tell you in a minute. First, let's trade fighters. Me for Demtrious Johnson, and you for Ben Askren.

[The contracts are signed]

Dana White: You guessed wrong.

Chatri Sityodtong: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched fighters when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a fight promotion in Russia or the Netherlands" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "NEVER PUT BEN ASKREN IN A PPV HEADLINING SPOT"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

[Sityodtong stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and his PPV buys fall through the floor]

Dana White: [Removes blindfold from Reebok's head] You all right?

Reebok: And to think, all that time it was your fighter that was ratings poison.

Dana White: They were both poison. I spent the last few years building up an immunity by watching Jon Fitch fight.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2018

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Too long; didn’t read

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
I enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Foul Fowl posted:

mousasi is the world's most frustrating fighter. his potential was sky high. then he drew with keith jardine.

That was a robbery but also really really funny

See also: varner/shalorus

• Locked thread