Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ohvee posted:

Anyone know if the Batman Animated Blu-ray set will be available in non-limited sets? I think I missed the boat on getting that.

I completely forgot about it and it appears to be sold out everywhere that isn't the warner bros webstore. That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't release a non-limited set just because of what it is. This is very similar to what happened with the Adam West series set. I'm guessing Warner is keeping details scarce to drive up sales. So far it's working.

edit: WB shop is sold out too. Let's see what ebay flippers are charging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

UPDATE:

I did some digging on the blu-ray.com forums and it looks like a regular non-limited edition is coming. Bullmoose.com already has a listing and release date. It's also 20-30 bucks cheaper than the one with the stupid trinkets.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28166722/batman-animated-series-complete-series-blu-ray

edit: Derp, they have the limited edition in stock for 95 bucks:

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/27677647/batman-the-animated-series-complete-series-blu-ray

What a ride that was.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 24, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Amazon's listed the non special set before. The cover art is kind of bad, but I dont need a funko and art book, just the digital code.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm gonna see if a local toy store will buy the Funkos off me. Might as well sell my DVD box sets. They served me well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm gonna see if a local toy store will buy the Funkos off me. Might as well sell my DVD box sets. They served me well.

Sell the figurines to broke brains on ebay.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Sell the figurines to broke brains on ebay.

as much as i love dunking on idiots who buy funko pops, as collectors of physical media this is chucking stones around inside a glass house to the max

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

as much as i love dunking on idiots who buy funko pops, as collectors of physical media this is chucking stones around inside a glass house to the max

Not really, a Funko Pop figure is a boring looking pop culture fetish doll that represents all the worst things about crass consumer culture. A movie or a tv show is a collaborate work that can be fun an entertaining and in many cases a true work of art. Pop figures just cost money and then sit there. It's worse than collecting action figures because their whole aesthetic is like something designed for toddlers. I also think over priced video sets that come with a bunch of trinkets are a stupid waste of money regardless of what it comes with.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was really annoyed about a decade ago when they decided to split up TMNT season release on DVD into 4 parts, and packaged each with an action figure. Sure I was a guy in my 20s buying a kids show on DVD, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I was really annoyed about a decade ago when they decided to split up TMNT season release on DVD into 4 parts, and packaged each with an action figure. Sure I was a guy in my 20s buying a kids show on DVD, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

The best part about this is that the entire reason for that show was to sell toys.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Not really, a Funko Pop figure is a boring looking pop culture fetish doll that represents all the worst things about crass consumer culture. A movie or a tv show is a collaborate work that can be fun an entertaining and in many cases a true work of art. Pop figures just cost money and then sit there. It's worse than collecting action figures because their whole aesthetic is like something designed for toddlers. I also think over priced video sets that come with a bunch of trinkets are a stupid waste of money regardless of what it comes with.

Soylent Green is people, but that sure won't stop anyone from eating it

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Can't believe i upgraded my RotLD 3 DVD for 18 seconds of gore, but it was worth it. This is my first Vestron release as well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Vestron releases I own, Chopping Mall and Waxwork collection, are really nice. I have Dagon and Class of 1999 now too, and I'm sure they're good too.

CPL593H posted:

The best part about this is that the entire reason for that show was to sell toys.
Funny enough the only TMNT stuff I ever owned were a plastic tent, and Turtles in Time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Not that I'm judging collectors, but there's a difference between collecting something simply because you enjoy the act of collecting(i.e. you're in it for "the hunt"), and collecting something that actually provides some sort of entertainment or stimulation, like books or movies. Like, every time I watch a blu ray that I own that's 2 hours that I'm not spending money on some other form of entertainment, there's no such benefit with something like Funkos, unless you really do just get off on going all over town hunting down specific figures.

And yes, I know it sounds pretentious but many films are legit works of art that you can watch and appreciate, Funkos are mostly nondescript hunks of plastic.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Not that I'm judging collectors, but there's a difference between collecting something simply because you enjoy the act of collecting(i.e. you're in it for "the hunt"), and collecting something that actually provides some sort of entertainment or stimulation, like books or movies. Like, every time I watch a blu ray that I own that's 2 hours that I'm not spending money on some other form of entertainment, there's no such benefit with something like Funkos, unless you really do just get off on going all over town hunting down specific figures.

And yes, I know it sounds pretentious but many films are legit works of art that you can watch and appreciate, Funkos are mostly nondescript hunks of plastic.

I've always assumed the people who buy those pops play with them in the bathtub :shrug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I bought the Sesame Street Season 1/2 version of Oscar the Grouch for a friend of mine who is also called Oscar for his birthday. :shrug:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vagabundo posted:

I bought the Sesame Street Season 1/2 version of Oscar the Grouch for a friend of mine who is also called Oscar for his birthday. :shrug:

I think it's pretty obvious that nobody is making fun of anyone for buying their friend a Funko as a gift or getting one of a character they like to put on their desk.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that nobody is making fun of anyone for buying their friend a Funko as a gift or getting one of a character they like to put on their desk.

Yea that's really what their purpose should be, fun little trinkets to put on your desk or for secret santa or whatever.

I have a friend though who got too deep into it and it turned into day long trips to a laundry list of specific stores to get "variants", and then eventually when that became not practical anymore all the sudden he was buying complete factory sets that would be delivered to his house. So he pulls these things out of the box, looks at it for a minute, puts it on a shelf and.....that's about it. Hundreds and thousands spent per month. Eventually when he got bored of them he was able to recoup a decent amount of money by selling a lot of them, but people who hang onto their collection for too long may not have that option once the fad passes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I agree that they're garbage, but I feel like for the most part Funko sales probably go to people who buy less than 10 of them in their life. They're really not for us, they're a last minute gift for your estranged child's birthday. They're for that guy who decides that Starlord would make a great addition to their desk.

Yes there are broke brained collectors, there always will be. There are literally people out there who would consider us to be broke brained for collecting not only physical media, but going for double/triple/quadruple dips when you can just rent them digitally.

Funkos are not for us, they never will be.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Admittedly I kinda get the collector's mindset. And full confession, if Funko Pops looked less lame I'd probably be inclined to buy a poo poo load of them. Fortunately for my wallet they look lame as gently caress.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

Admittedly I kinda get the collector's mindset. And full confession, if Funko Pops looked less lame I'd probably be inclined to buy a poo poo load of them. Fortunately for my wallet they look lame as gently caress.

Oh, definitely, if there was actual detail, articulation, or just anything that didn't require you to keep it in a box to remember what it's supposed to be, I'd probably have a few.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My wife got me the Moon Knight one because it was literally the only piece of Moon Knight poo poo she could buy me under a 20 dollar price point as a stocking stuffer.

It pretty much looks like Moon Knight because he's such a simple and iconic character who is mostly faceless. It's the only action figure on my desk at home and my son likes to play with the bobblehead on it. Honestly it's kind of embarrassing because of the reputation these dang things have. If it were just a Precious Moments Moon Knight figure I would probably feel a lot better about it. But hey....Moon Knight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually did take advantage of having a Funko collecting friend because he was able to nab me my favorite Overwatch character during one of his completionist runs through town to various retailers. It would've been way too much of a chore for me but hey I put the thing on my shelf and I like it. Having a Funko or two isn't the problem we're talking about here.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lo lat people hating on Funko pops and then go out and pretend their not the same kind of if not more so of a loser when they buy Vinegar Syndrome or Arrow movies etc.

I buy Funko pops not to collect them but because they’re cute and cool and is a way to appreciate something I enjoy that may not be able to otherwise. Do you really think anyone else but Funko would make a Wayne Simmons toy? Or a altered beast cover toy?

Get over it losers. Just because you own the criterion of some French movie doesn’t make you any less of a dweeb then someone who owns a funko of Immortan joe

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

Get over it losers. Just because you own the criterion of some French movie doesn’t make you any less of a dweeb then someone who owns a funko of Immortan joe

Cool, man. Cool.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Funko Pops $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean Funko is really just Precious Moments for the present day. There's always been stylized figs or art that your aunt or mom or whatever can put on their shelf. Just somebody figured out to include nerds. It's Thomas Kinkade level.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean Funko is really just Precious Moments for the present day. There's always been stylized figs or art that your aunt or mom or whatever can put on their shelf. Just somebody figured out to include nerds. It's Thomas Kinkade level.

:lol: yeah, and much like your aunt, they get really mad when you start making fun of their collection.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lo lat people hating on Funko pops and then go out and pretend their not the same kind of if not more so of a loser when they buy Vinegar Syndrome or Arrow movies etc.

I buy Funko pops not to collect them but because they’re cute and cool and is a way to appreciate something I enjoy that may not be able to otherwise. Do you really think anyone else but Funko would make a Wayne Simmons toy? Or a altered beast cover toy?

I've never described any of my Blu-rays as "cute". That right there gives me the win.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My godard blu ray spits on your deadpool funko pop, peasant!

(any new updates on that yo soy cuba 4k scan? the nyff screening on oct 7th was obviously sold out well in advance of public sales)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 24, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Look, if you have the disposable income and that's what you want to spend it on, more power to you. But lets not pretend there isn't a difference between purchasing something that you glance at on your shelf once in a while, and a 2 hour movie that you're gonna sit down and actually be entertained by for an extended period of time. One has more of a purpose than the other.

Like, I'm not sure that I really "collect" movies, because I only buy movies that I really like(or am reasonably certain that I will like). I don't just go out to Best Buy and say to myself "now what blu ray can I buy to fill out the holes in my collection". It just doesn't feel like the same thing, and I've collected things before when I was younger.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:aaaaa:

My god.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For me it's kinda both. Obviously I love watching movies, but I also buy for the aesthetics and collectibility of the item itself. For example there's no practical reason why I needed to buy the Arrow limited edition of Re-animator with the fancy comic book and the lobby cards when I could have just waited for the standard edition. Or just watched the DVD I already own.

To be fair to Empress Brosephine, like I said I do get the appeal of collecting figures (you should see my Neca Godzilla lineup). I just really, really hate the way Funko Pops look. Michael Myers shouldn't look cute goddammit :argh:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

https://www.hamiltoncollection.com/products/907045001_precious-moments-star-trek-figurine-set.html

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

But you can actually watch a movie, you can't even pose a Funko. Like even one of those Figuarts things has an undeniable level of actual craft put into its design and construction that is just absent with Funkos.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

For me it's kinda both. Obviously I love watching movies, but I also buy for the aesthetics and collectibility of the item itself. For example there's no practical reason why I needed to buy the Arrow limited edition of Re-animator with the fancy comic book and the lobby cards when I could have just waited for the standard edition. Or just watched the DVD I already own.

To be fair to Empress Brosephine, like I said I do get the appeal of collecting figures (you should see my Neca Godzilla lineup). I just really, really hate the way Funko Pops look. Michael Myers shouldn't look cute goddammit :argh:
A plush Michael Myers might work. Plush Cthulhu works just fine. There's just something about Funkos that I don't like.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I equate them to sports memorabilia. Yes I’m not physically watching the sport but it’s a time of something that I enjoy and when I look at it it makes me smile and think of memories.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I Before E posted:

But you can actually watch a movie, you can't even pose a Funko. Like even one of those Figuarts things has an undeniable level of actual craft put into its design and construction that is just absent with Funkos.

Those figuarts are like $50-90. I buy Pops because they are only $12 and I only buy for a few lines. That’s why most people buy them, because they are cheap and easy to find.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Last E3, Large Game Journalism Man Jeff Gerstmann said "I get it - Funko will do business with anybody!" to Phil Spencer the night after he announced some Funko Gears of War thing and it was funny as hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Last E3, Large Game Journalism Man Jeff Gerstmann said "I get it - Funko will do business with anybody!" to Phil Spencer the night after he announced some Funko Gears of War thing and it was funny as hell.

Read that as Phil Spector. That would be horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how Funko havers are getting defensive and attacking physical media havers in the physical media thread.

I buy movies because I want to watch them several times in my life and share that experience with other people. I don't buy Funkos because I get no enjoyment out of them.

There are lots of people who get no enjoyment out of physical media, and they're the real weirdos.