Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

As a lady who wears dresses with back zips all the time, the zipper ending at the waist is pretty standard :) You should be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

vaguely posted:

As a lady who wears dresses with back zips all the time, the zipper ending at the waist is pretty standard :) You should be fine

Agreed; also, I think that's a rather sexy zipper configuration.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So more zipper questions. I'm a dude who does not wear dresses who is making a dress for myself:

It's back zipping, but I don't know how long a back zip needs to go. I had my wife measure my back and it looks like it would end at about waist level, is that long enough or do I need a longer zipper?

I just want you to know that it's awesome you're making that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Goldaline posted:

Also double posting but I'm back on my Weird Sports/Swim/Underwear bullshit. Pretty SFW even if it doesn't look like it at first glance? Thinking about the contrasts between fabric meant for ease of movement and the appearance of a restrictive garment?

Yeah, no feedback on the technique since I'm a noob, but the look is killer. I've literally worked in a gay bondage club, and they'd let you in if you wore that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Tias posted:

Yeah, no feedback on the technique since I'm a noob, but the look is killer. I've literally worked in a gay bondage club, and they'd let you in if you wore that.

I smell a A/T thread

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I have a jumpsuit that has a back zip. The pull is like 8” long strap of leather so I can reach it and zip it easily by myself.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I modified my original design for my daughters Giant Blueberry/Willy Wonka Violet costume. I designed the frame since I screwed up starting with the fabric. The fabric came out like a giant tube, I miss measured and didn't even get close to a circle.

I need to bend the wicker into a bit more shape but my problem is how do I now cover this in fabric? Im working with a standard non stretch cotton.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Still voting for vertical panels

Anne Whateley posted:

The hula hoop version (with panels like a hot air balloon's) would be pretty collapsible. It's a popular costume, so you can see a bunch of versions and methods online (protip: -site:pinterest.com)

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
It may not be the exact look you're going for but taking the tube and sewing a channel for a drawstring at top and bottom would be a very easy solution, just tighten them over the frame. Just make the tube the length of the curve, not the height of the frame.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Pheasant Revolution posted:

It may not be the exact look you're going for but taking the tube and sewing a channel for a drawstring at top and bottom would be a very easy solution, just tighten them over the frame. Just make the tube the length of the curve, not the height of the frame.

Holy crap that's an amazing idea, it's so simple.

Length of the vehicle curve right.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 9, 2018

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
If you mean the curve that goes from top to bottom, then yes. I would be tempted to make it a bit longer and maybe tack it down as I doubt it's exactly the same length all the way down. A bit of hand sewing is a lot less frustrating than having to do the whole shebang again, I find.

Pheasant Revolution fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 10, 2018

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The tube idea was perfect and I went ahead and added more supports and over all I'm super happy with the way this came out. My daughter freaked out when she saw it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Rythe posted:

The tube idea was perfect and I went ahead and added more supports and over all I'm super happy with the way this came out. My daughter freaked out when she saw it.

This looks perfect! You are awesome!

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
Hahaha, amazing! I love it, your daughter is going to be the sweetest kid out there!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know this is a huge ego post but I wanted to show you all my completed sewing room (my bedroom) set up because it’s been days of hauling furniture around. :)

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That looks nice and I wish I had that set up, I have to put all my stuff away when I'm done.

You also reminded me that I really need to break out my Serger and learn that infernal machine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:) I have a big built in cupboard for fabric and a old antique child size wardrobe which has things like patterns and ribbons in it - the thing in that room I would be lost without are the bedside tables with the draws, before them every time I sat down I had to spend ages just hunting for something I was using yesterday.

I love that brother serger, it’s really basic but a million times better than the metal carcassed singer I had before which was impossible to thread and then finally, thankfully, lunched it’s own timing. One of my nan’s Best bits of advice was to have very different coloured threads in your serger, only fabrics it will look odd on are lightweight whites and it’s rare you use them, means you can immediately identify and fix the problem thread without having to play the terrible rethreading game.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Your Nan is a smart woman and that is sage advice. My biggest thing is learning what it can and can't do. I like it for straight lines when I do sleeves and pants. I haven't been able to figure out hems or anything else and that's with reading the manual. I really just need to go step by step in the variations of 3 and 4 needles and just play with it.

Either that or hit up my local tailors and see if they offer lessons.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
To be honest I do four thread overlock on absolutely everything and use the rolled hem foot on my sewing machine on raw edges - kind of burned by that singer in that I’ve got it set up right and working and I’ll be damned if I change anything now.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I don't think I have a hem rolled foot on my basic sewing machine. Is that something extra for the machine for purchase?

Anything that makes hemming easier would be nice, right now I fold the material over, pin and hem everything.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh yes you can buy many feet, I’ve bought three of these, one for spare one as a gift.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KING-DO-WAY-Domestic-Machine/dp/B071NNDDXJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1540158213&sr=8-4&keywords=Sewing+foot+set

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...sewing+foot+set

A few of them will change the way you sew, the 1/4 foot especially, you can’t see it in that picture very well but another helpful thing is to stick in a long bit of tape and draw your seam margin all along it, so you can guide your material along it a lot easier.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Does anyone in here have experience cleaning vintage fabrics? I'm about to start flipping on Etsy, and I have a gorgeous Kimberly cardigan that really needs a wash.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you have a top loading washing machine then what you do is let it soak in cold gentle soapy water then spin it out - repeat till it’s clear. If you don’t then put it on top of a sheet in the bath/shower and do it by hand. Make sure you dry flat rather than hang so the fibres don’t get pulled apart. :)

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Oh yes you can buy many feet, I’ve bought three of these, one for spare one as a gift.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KING-DO-WAY-Domestic-Machine/dp/B071NNDDXJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1540158213&sr=8-4&keywords=Sewing+foot+set

A few of them will change the way you sew, the 1/4 foot especially, you can’t see it in that picture very well but another helpful thing is to stick in a long bit of tape and draw your seam margin all along it, so you can guide your material along it a lot easier.

I had no idea those existed, I think I'm going to pick up a kit of those. How many of those feet do you typically use? I'll have to read about each one to see what they all do.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Probably about 7 :haw:

Another Wize thing is don’t bother buying those multi packs of cheap thread, get big 1000 yard rolls of gutterman sew all in black and white and then buy small rolls of colours as you need them, I’d say until you have built a nice collection but until?, there is no limit to how many colours I need lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Because I don’t have Facebook...

I bought 3kg of scrap fabric from a luxury lamp making business of all places for £14 on eBay and yes a lot of crap with some liberty and hand made prints but holy poo poo this panel.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Because I don’t have Facebook...

I bought 3kg of scrap fabric from a luxury lamp making business of all places for £14 on eBay and yes a lot of crap with some liberty and hand made prints but holy poo poo this panel.

I would wear a full outfit made of this fabric!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Does anyone in here have experience cleaning vintage fabrics? I'm about to start flipping on Etsy, and I have a gorgeous Kimberly cardigan that really needs a wash.

In general, get a bottle of Grandma's Secret Spot remover.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

learnincurve posted:

I got this one because I needed an invisible zipper foot and I could either get the one foot for $10 or this whole set for $25 and I went with the whole set (and returned the $15 zipper foot I bought from Joanns)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H53MFN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Please learn from me, if you plan on doing quilting ever, say no to jelly rolls, and certainly say no to jelly rolls you make yourself.

I have spent literally weeks pinning and sewing strips together and never again. It’s been like mort cleaning binkie’s stable.

Buy fat quarters, square them off and do this instead. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/magic-8-half-square-triangle-units-2821440

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

learnincurve posted:

Please learn from me, if you plan on doing quilting ever, say no to jelly rolls, and certainly say no to jelly rolls you make yourself.

I have spent literally weeks pinning and sewing strips together and never again. It’s been like mort cleaning binkie’s stable.

Buy fat quarters, square them off and do this instead. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/magic-8-half-square-triangle-units-2821440

Eh, I have one sitting waiting for me to make a Bargello quilt. That's actually not so much work - you just sew them together (24 seams), cut those crosswise into strips, then stitch the strips together, unpicking at a different seam for each to make the gradient. You can do the whole design in about 48 seams.

Magic 8 squares are also pretty great though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I frustrated posted, I sewed 90 FQ length 2 1/2 strips in groups of three in preparation for a king size sampler quilt, and completely burned out. Saying that I’m now at the stage where the main centre piece is about to come together and now I’m thinking the end result will be worth it. :)

As I posted the postman brought the teddy bear pattern for one of my teenage daughters so now it’s all got to be put on hold. This is ‘citing, she’s done patchwork stuff before but this is her first pattern so I get to teach her how to cut stuff out properly and read them and whatnot :haw:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There's literally no possible cut that doesn't get to be pure tedium when you're making a king size. I've done sample quilts at that size and struggled to finish because I was sick of looking at the fabric about half way through.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I really wish this country had the same quilting tradition that America has, outside of London quilting bees simply don’t exist. :( would make the more tedious stages way less annoying if I could just look at another pattern for a few hours. May end up splitting this into two and giving them to the kids to sofa sit with though, I can see it going into storage and being babied if I don’t.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Outside of Amish country and the occasional charity event, quilting bees are pretty rare over here, too. The best trick I found for breaking up a large, monotonous project was to switch off with something smaller that takes different skills every once in a while. Some kind of finicky paper-piecing, improve blocks, or even handwork. Last big strip quilt I did, I tested out some micro pineapple blocks every ten seams.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm repairing/restoring/patching an afghan my great grandma made (from horrible acrylics, which were probably fancy and space age at the time :3:). I decided that I'd make all the patches in a generic light beige color rather than try to match the mustard, brown and white of whatever era this is from, and I'm using a sashiko Japanese patchwork/embroidery style that I just took a little course in.

In any case, the project is going pretty well, I can post pictures later, but I'm curious what you'd suggest about removing pilling. I've heard you can use a razer or clippers?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have this sandpapery block that pulls them off, works ok. It's called a sweater saver I think.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have done it with a razor, but you have to be really, really careful.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This style of shaver. If you go slowly and work on flat/taut surfaces, it's very difficult to gently caress up the piece. With the sandpaper block style, I totally ruined a pair of jeans, and a razor is too risky imo. I use my shaver for things I've knit, so my #1 goal is not loving them up.

I actually have a much smaller one for detail. While it'll be inefficient for anything as big as a blanket, it makes it much easier to focus on the spot you're working on, raise it slightly over a line of raised stitches, etc. Because it is cheap af, it occasionally pauses until you unscrew the cover and poke out the small fuzz glob, but if that's the worst it does, sign me up

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

learnincurve posted:

I frustrated posted, I sewed 90 FQ length 2 1/2 strips in groups of three in preparation for a king size sampler quilt, and completely burned out. Saying that I’m now at the stage where the main centre piece is about to come together and now I’m thinking the end result will be worth it. :)

Yeah this makes sense. I've only done wall hanging / baby quilts. The prospect of doing a king sized one terrifies me.