Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Read that as Phil Spector. That would be horrific.

I read it as Richard Spencer, and was looking forward to the Funko Defense Force defending little plastic nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I read it as Spencer Tracy

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I read it as Dick Tracy and was all like "WHHHAAA???!!"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't inherently dislike small plastic toys, I have a tiny golden Gundam I got for 8 dollars and I like it fine, the problem is that the base Funko design is purposefully blank and soulless, the only individualizing factor being the clothes and hair. It's a cheap, ugly, useless design.

The Gundam can move its arms and has a little gun and shield, it's dope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

NECA figures are like 20 and look better than any funkos

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got these Sam and Max symbiotes. They actually look like what they're supposed to, and have articulated arms, and guns.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I need more Godzilla toys for my cube.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Can we stop talking about lovely toys and talk about lovely movies instead? The Producers remake is coming to blu-ray on Nov 6. Surprisingly only previously available in Japan.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've always assumed the people who buy those pops play with them in the bathtub :shrug:

Have you not seen the pictures of that guy's house where every wall is covered in display cases filled with thousands of those figurines and written contracts between him and his wife based on when and how much money a month he can spend on them?

Iron Crowned posted:

I agree that they're garbage, but I feel like for the most part Funko sales probably go to people who buy less than 10 of them in their life. They're really not for us, they're a last minute gift for your estranged child's birthday. They're for that guy who decides that Starlord would make a great addition to their desk.

Yes there are broke brained collectors, there always will be. There are literally people out there who would consider us to be broke brained for collecting not only physical media, but going for double/triple/quadruple dips when you can just rent them digitally.

Funkos are not for us, they never will be.

The people I was poking fun at are specifically the people that are losing their poo poo to get the limited edition box set because it has the figurines in it and will probably pay high premiums from re-sellers when the supply dries up. It in no way enhances the purchase.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean Funko is really just Precious Moments Beanie Babies for the present day. There's always been stylized figs or art that your aunt or mom or whatever can put on their shelf. Just somebody figured out to include nerds. It's Thomas Kinkade level.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Boinks posted:

Can't believe i upgraded my RotLD 3 DVD for 18 seconds of gore, but it was worth it. This is my first Vestron release as well.

If it helps, it's a decent amount more than 18 seconds, because a lot of the trims in the R-rated version were alternate "softer" takes instead of outright removals. The total amount of changed footage from R to unrated is more like 10 minutes, iirc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People who collect Funkos are ranked just below people who collect the skeletons of domesticated animals.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

2001 UHD/remastered Blu pushed back to 11/20 due to manufacturing delays.

It's hilarious to read other boards because they're still thinking Christopher Nolan ruined the remaster based entirely on a stupid loving trailer that doesn't look like the new prints or DCP at all.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Have you not seen the pictures of that guy's house where every wall is covered in display cases filled with thousands of those figurines and written contracts between him and his wife based on when and how much money a month he can spend on them?

This might be favorite reddit post. The contract had so many exclusions it was basically pointless. Well it was pointless to begin with anyway, but still.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Oh God thread pull up I'm sorry. I won't mention Funko Pops again I swear.

How do you guys organise discs in your binders?

Egbert Souse posted:

2001 UHD/remastered Blu pushed back to 11/20 due to manufacturing delays.

It's hilarious to read other boards because they're still thinking Christopher Nolan ruined the remaster based entirely on a stupid loving trailer that doesn't look like the new prints or DCP at all.

Nov 20 is a loaded date now, goddamn.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Ohvee posted:

Anyone know if the Batman Animated Blu-ray set will be available in non-limited sets? I think I missed the boat on getting that.

If you've got a Region B capable player, you can still pre-order them off of UK Amazon. The release date was pushed back to the 5th of November.

I, Butthole posted:

Oh God thread pull up I'm sorry. I won't mention Funko Pops again I swear.

It was an interesting display of elitism, I have to say.

I, Butthole posted:

I don't. I have shelves for them. They're not exactly expensive ones, but I organise them by A. genre and B. alphabetical order.
Films in a specific franchise, or series, as well as TV shows get their own slots, also based on genre and alphabetical order - unless it's something like the MCU films, in which case, I place them in order of release.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 24, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The UK Batman set should be region free. WB almost never region locks their own releases.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Detective No. 27 posted:

I need more Godzilla toys for my cube.

Since we're so off topic anyway, here is my desk at work:

On-topic question, does Universal expect me to send the Return of the Creature disc back before they will send a new one or do they just need a UPC or proof of purchase?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CRAYON posted:

Oh poo poo, are those the Trendmasters figures from the '90s? I had King Ghidorah, Godzilla and Mechagodzilla and loved playing with them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Egbert Souse posted:

The UK Batman set should be region free. WB almost never region locks their own releases.

It's listed as Region B on the UK amazon site and blu-ray.com, but US Amazon has it listed as region-free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G4CKGXK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Assuming you're correct, I guess it's then an issue of whether your device can handle PAL formatting, but would that even be an issue in this day and age?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Timby posted:

Oh poo poo, are those the Trendmasters figures from the '90s? I had King Ghidorah, Godzilla and Mechagodzilla and loved playing with them.

Yup, I only had Godzilla and King Ghidorah as a kid but have been grabbing the others from eBay when the seller has offers open. They're pretty detailed and well made for 4" statues.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I just picked up a second of those Atlantic wavy CD towers, you know the one. Gonna put the part of my collection that resides in my bookshelf in it and then turn the bookshelf into BluRay and DVD heaven!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I, Butthole posted:

The only thing worse than funko pop collectors are people who store their movies in binders.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

EL BROMANCE posted:

People who collect Funkos are ranked just below people who collect the skeletons of domesticated animals.

funko havers certainly ain't sex havers

CPL593H posted:

The best part about this is that the entire reason for that show was to sell toys.

Hey now, TMNT was a dark, bloody comic satire before it ever sold a single toy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

funko havers certainly ain't sex havers

Hey now, TMNT was a dark, bloody comic satire before it ever sold a single toy.

I'm well aware of that. But the comic book and the tv show are nothing alike and in fact the comic book was originally just a throw away joke about Frank Miller, the show was very explicitly made to sell toys as were most kids shows of the era. Many of them made the toys before a single frame of the show was ever produced. It'd be like if Crab People from South Park became a long running franchise for kids.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'm well aware of that. But the comic book and the tv show are nothing alike and in fact the comic book was originally just a throw away joke about Frank Miller, the show was very explicitly made to sell toys as were most kids shows of the era. Many of them made the toys before a single frame of the show was ever produced. It'd be like if Crab People from South Park became a long running franchise for kids.

While we're on the subject of the best comic book movie ever made :colbert: , even if simply for the fact that Elias Koteas is Casey and Sam Rockwell is gang entrepenuer :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmpVDeFq1Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iIUQ4htVtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTHdDxOKX68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKc0_wNzXyg

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That movie had such an excellent score. I don't know why John Du Prez didn't have a bigger career as a composer.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

And yes, I know it sounds pretentious but many films are legit works of art that you can watch and appreciate, Funkos are mostly nondescript hunks of plastic.

Yeah, I mean if you're gonna get a useless hunk of plastic, at the very least get a NECA figure that really looks like the pop culture icon from the media you consume. :v:

I bought a Chucky figure, no regrets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Admittedly I'm biased because I'm just sick to death of hearing about the loving Ninja Turtles, but it's so far from being the best comic book adaptation that it's embarrassing. I'm not even saying it's a terrible movie, just that there are so many movies based on comic books that there are a huge number of better movies than that in this category.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Admittedly I'm biased because I'm just sick to death of hearing about the loving Ninja Turtles, but it's so far from being the best comic book adaptation that it's embarrassing. I'm not even saying it's a terrible movie, just that there are so many movies based on comic books that there are a huge number of better movies than that in this category.

No. Untrue. False. Tepid and bad opinion. Dispose.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No. Untrue. False. Tepid and bad opinion. Dispose.

Actually, the opposite is true

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

Actually, the opposite is true

I even had the decency to not labor the point by actually starting to list them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I will belabor the point until my posts are silenced by nuclear hellfire, which surely won't be long

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

If anyone is still holding on to fond memories of childhood toys/cartoons thinking they were anything other than cynical cash grabs, watch The Toys That Made Us on Netflix. Except for LEGO (lol autocorrect capitalizes it) which is cool and good and objectively the best toy ever made (fight me)

When is the Lawrence of Arabia UHD supposed to be released?

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 25, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber Studio Classics sale:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/october-studio-classics-sale

david_a posted:

When is the Lawrence of Arabia UHD supposed to be released?

It's definitely in the works.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CRAYON posted:

Here's some of my 8 year old's Godzillas and related.

We were in Target the other day and they had the atomic blast Shin Godzilla. He's going to flip at Christmas. I have to try to keep him out of that area of the store so he doesn't see it. For $20-30, the NECAs are a hell of a good value. Very fun.
http://necaonline.com/2018/06/godzilla-12-head-to-tail-action-figure-2016-shin-godzilla-atomic-blast/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

If anyone is still holding on to fond memories of childhood toys/cartoons thinking they were anything other than cynical cash grabs, watch The Toys That Made Us on Netflix. Except for LEGO (lol autocorrect capitalizes it) which is cool and good and objectively the best toy ever made (fight me)

I need to finish watching that. Also, The Power of Greyskull is up on Netflix which is a really interesting deep dive into how Masters of the Universe/He-Man/She-Ra came into being. It does become a bit of a slog after the bit on the movie though IMHO.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Best comic book film is a toss-up between Flash Gordon and Danger: Diabolik. Maybe Persepolis if that counts.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CPL593H posted:

I'm well aware of that. But the comic book and the tv show are nothing alike and in fact the comic book was originally just a throw away joke about Frank Miller

I really felt like kicking myself the first time I made the connection between The Foot and The Hand. (I also felt like facepalming.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like 2001 wasn't delayed after all - got my shipping notice this morning.

Irony will be that I haven't gotten around to picking up a UHD player yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I own something like 11 UHD discs and don't have a player or tv yet. I've got money set aside for Black Friday.