Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Kirby's Dream Land 2 - 1995

The Game:

Kirby's Dream Land 2 was the first Kirby game to be directed by Shinichi Shimomura. I find Shimomura's design philosophies fit well with the Kirby series. He would later go on to direct Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64, both fine games in their own right, but back to Dreamland 2. It's the 3rd mainline Kirby game and while Kirby's Adventure is, generally, praised more (at least from what I've seen on the internet) Dream Land 2 is no slouch. It's one of those games that I could see missing some people's radars. But it shouldn't. If you enjoy a good Kirby game, or just a good game peroid; join me in going through this fun filled adventure!

The LP

This'll be a video LP because Kirby is a fast-ish platformer. It will have voice commentary (apologies for my voice in advance). There aren't dialogue cut scenes in Dream Land 2 so I will be talking over all parts of the game. Kirby's a chill guy so I will try to be chill with my commentary but still entertaining. The game will be played proficiently but not perfectly. Hope you enjoy!

Table of Contents:

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8

MellowMushroom fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

I decided to start this LP with a double-update because the levels go by pretty quick.
I'm also going to post more pages from the manual because I think they're nice.

This one has some odd explanations for Kirby's moves. Like how he sits when you press down and apparently has an air and water gun. I always thought he was blowing bubbles/air from his mouth!

Also here's a good chance to give some love to the two animal friends we've met thus far:

Rick the Hamster: Rick is good for the Ice world coming up in level 4, but we meet him in level 1. I think he's probably the cutest animal friend.

Coo the Owl: Coo can fly and is very fast, but don't put him in water. Coo's the coolest animal friend in my book.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Super Game Boy! Good choice.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I'm glad you're doing this LP, because Dreamland 2 is one of the few mainline Kirby games I haven't played at all, so I was interested in seeing it. And yes, I agree, Coo is adorable, just like all of the animal buddies.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dream Land 2 is underrated, and for a Game Boy game it's pretty hard to 100%.

MellowMushroom posted:

This'll be a video LP because Kirby is a fast-ish platformer. It will have voice commentary (apologies for my voice in advance).
I know it's not unusual for people to be self-conscious about hearing their own voice, but there's no need to apologize. You sound perfect for an easygoing game like Kirby.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 23, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

get that OUT of my face posted:

Dream Land 2 is underrated, and for a Game Boy game it's pretty hard to 100%.

I remember this too, but man did I feel like an accomplished kid when I finally did it.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Episode 3 is here!

We're going to be entering Ripple Field and meeting...

Kine the Fish

Kine is a great swimmer and the funniest animal friend if you ask me.

Thank you to everyone who's been watching and posting in the thread! It's been very fun to make these videos and I can't wait to do some more!

I know it's not unusual for people to be self-conscious about hearing their own voice, but there's no need to apologize. You sound perfect for an easygoing game like Kirby.

Thank you for the encouraging words! I felt a lot more confident this time around.

And now that we've got all the animal friends... let's check out a few more manual scans! Yay!

The only ability we haven't seen yet is ice.

I hope to have the next part done by next week sometime. Arigato!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Stone kirby looks so sad

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think Gooey shows up when you rescue an animal friend that you're already riding. Not sure what makes girl-Gooey show up but I don't remember her being exceedingly rare.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

This is true! I believe there are some bags that have dedicated animal friends to give you, while others can randomly give you any of the 3. If you're riding an animal friend that the bag is trying to give you then you get Gooey instead and from there you can randomly get Girl Gooey. Regular Gooey just gives points I think while encountering Girl Gooey and getting her is a crucial 1% towards 100 percenting the game. We'll be getting her in the next part because there's a good spot to farm it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MellowMushroom posted:

This is true! I believe there are some bags that have dedicated animal friends to give you, while others can randomly give you any of the 3. If you're riding an animal friend that the bag is trying to give you then you get Gooey instead and from there you can randomly get Girl Gooey. Regular Gooey just gives points I think while encountering Girl Gooey and getting her is a crucial 1% towards 100 percenting the game. We'll be getting her in the next part because there's a good spot to farm it.

He actually heals you a bit. 2 pips I think?

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Episode 4 is online!
We're getting hit in the snow. it's Level 4: Iceberg!

The boss of this land is named Ice Dragon! Can Kirby and his friends defeat a dragon!?

I mean... he doesn't look so tough...

Hope you enjoy!

Poor Kine ):

MellowMushroom fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 7, 2018

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Reuploaded video cause I explained something wrong. Even though we're on the Rainbow Islands there are 7 levels in this game!

I assumed there were only 6 but thankfully there is more. Also the 5th level is called Red Canyon, not Red Mountain. See you there!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The World 4 rainbow drop is hard to get, and it's not even the hardest one to get in the game.

When I played this, I'd always farm the mini-boss at the beginning of the last level for Girl Gooey. I didn't know you could just exit and enter the place where you got Rick in the first level. That makes it much easier.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 8, 2018

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

The World 4 rainbow drop is hard to get, and it's not even the hardest one to get in the game.

When I played this, I'd always farm the mini-boss at the beginning of the last level for Girl Gooey. I didn't know you could just exit and enter the place where you got Rick in the first level. That makes it much easier.

I find the 4th level's rainbow drop to be the hardest. Which one do you think is harder? Alnd yeah, that room is probably the fastest way to get girl Gooey. I got her on the 2nd try which is pretty lucky. It can take 5 or more tries usually.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Here comes Episode 5!

We're in the Red Mountain Canyon and we're climbing to fight the Sun and Moon!

It's Mr. Bright and Mr. Shine!
The sun is Bright and the moon Shines, in case you were wondering which is which.
These two baddies will try to stop us, but Kirby can do it! He's our strong hero!

Oh also I've wanted to post this for a while in the thread so I'll do it now.
Yup, 90s commercials were weird.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I always thought the World 6 drop was harder. The way of getting it is a lot more intricate.

That World 5 one is pretty tricky too.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 21, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I owned this game when I was a teen, never got around to beat it because I'm bad at platformers.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 21, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
These later Rainbow Drops did not come to play. Setting up that gap where you have to use Rick to break the blocks and then dump him in order to get across is a dick move.

What % of Kirby games make you drop your power as soon as you get hit vs. dropping it after random hits? I know that in Super Star you didn't always lose your power when you too damage.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

:yotj: UPDATE :yotj:
Part 6! Cloudy Park!

The boss of this area is the deadly Kracko!

Wait... that's not Kracko...

There we go!
Only one level left fellas. Let's see this through!

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Also, for the last level, I'm up for using any copy ability combination on the boss. If you have one in mind, post it and I'll do it!

*Edit* looks like we didn't get any suggestions but oh well! I still decided to use a fun ability on the boss. */Edit*

MellowMushroom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 24, 2018

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

It's the final update!!!

Well not really. We are taking down the last boss in this part and restoring peace to Dream Land but I will be uploading one more bonus part after this to show off the post 100% content.
Thank you all for participating in the thread. This was my first LP venture and it was a lot of fun! I hope you all got something out of it cause I know I did.

MellowMushroom fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 7, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was about to comment that King Dedede wasn't that challenging, but the rematch with the parasol showed me I was wrong. Nice fighting!

Now I'm pretty curious about the bonus video.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Kirby is cool and so is this LP

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I believe the enemy types in the branching path autoscroll segment, specifically the ones between the splits, are the indicators of what route is safe.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe the enemy types in the branching path autoscroll segment, specifically the ones between the splits, are the indicators of what route is safe.

I see what you mean. I didn't consider that when I played through it. However, when you first enter the area there is no enemy to tell you which path to take. Also the last path has a sword guy before the branching path but it's the ball and chain guy who blocks the right way. Huh.

C-Euro posted:

Kirby is cool and so is this LP

Thanks C-Euro! You've been very supportive this whole thread and it means a great deal.

Torrannor posted:

I was about to comment that King Dedede wasn't that challenging, but the rematch with the parasol showed me I was wrong. Nice fighting!

Now I'm pretty curious about the bonus video.

Yeah the King is a fun fight with lots of different attacks and the mixed aggression thing keeps you on your toes. Using parasol requires some quick movement but it sure beats rock or needle!

And yeah there are some more challenges coming with the last video but it's not anything new unfortunately. Well the sound room is new so look forward to that! It'll also be a quick video too.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Kirby's Dreamland 2 was my first real Kirby game so I remember it fondly. When Dark Matter appeared in Planet Robobot I was very happy.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I played the hell out of this when I was a kid. Thanks for doing a play through!

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

:toot: LAST UPDATE! :toot:

It's a bit late but it's here. :v:

In this part we're showing off the post 100% content which mostly isn't anything new but it's fun! So check it out!
It was also longer than I thought it would be but that's your problem now! Hahaha.

Thank you all for your time and thoughts, I always appreciate it!

MellowMushroom fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I never said it but thank you for the effort you put into this LP. It seems like it was a little niche, but I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Likewise, I enjoyed the trip.