Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The animal tracking mechanic is pretty loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
It feels like from all the gameplay I've been watching in a lot of ways this is still a rockstar game as in they have a working formula. It's bigger and better than ever before but it's still very similar to gta. Maybe all of the depth of the game comes into play when you sit down with it for hours at a time instead of short clips highlighting a few mechanics.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

I know at the very least through 11/3 you get 100 dollars off any XBox system when you buy RDR2 at Gamestop. And this will stack with the trade in bonus of $250 bucks when you trade in an XBox One S.

I'm not entirely sure those are able to be combined yet. I've heard online yes, but my local store is telling me to come back tomorrow when the manager is there, as it's likely going to kick one of the two discounts out, but it's possible it can be overrriden.

There's a possibility I try to take advantage of this if it comes out that the base ps4 has issues with framerates.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 24, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

It feels like from all the gameplay I've been watching in a lot of ways this is still a rockstar game as in they have a working formula. It's bigger and better than ever before but it's still very similar to gta. Maybe all of the depth of the game comes into play when you sit down with it for hours at a time instead of short clips highlighting a few mechanics.

I don't know why anyone would expect anything different.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Fool posted:

Id be disappointed if it were any different

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The Fool posted:

I guess it feels closer to gta than rdr to me.

But I may be really dumb

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nolgthorn posted:

I guess it feels closer to gta than rdr to me.

How much of the game have you played?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Nolgthorn posted:

Seems like a culmination of RDR1 with GTA and the interaction style of L.A Noire.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
if you continually stealthily rob or murder people with no witnesses will the town react? Put up more lights or not travel down dark alleys as much because the town isn't safe? in mgs5 eventually they'd beef up security as a response to the results of your stealthy work

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm fairly certain there was mention of an Xbox One X launching with RDR for free, may be worth keeping your eye out for.

That would be surprising considering Sony has the marketing deal.

But there's no doubt it'll look best by a long shot on X btw, to those debating which console to get. Everything looks way better on X unless the developers are incompetent. (Have owned base PS4, PS4 pro and X)

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Seems like a culmination of RDR1 with GTA and the interaction style of L.A Noire.

There's a little Bully in there too with the npc interactions. This game seems to be the logical culmination of all the experimental styles they've introduced since GTA3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Im gonna be so friendly to everyone :)

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

xbox has backwards compatibility, 4k bluray support, and a better controller imo /ducks for cover

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zutaten posted:

There's a little Bully in there too with the npc interactions. This game seems to be the logical culmination of all the experimental styles they've introduced since GTA3.

Also Max Payne 3 style weapon management/killshots

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gay Horney posted:

if you continually stealthily rob or murder people with no witnesses will the town react? Put up more lights or not travel down dark alleys as much because the town isn't safe? in mgs5 eventually they'd beef up security as a response to the results of your stealthy work

The CO would orders helmets if you were blasting everyone's brains out, I always liked that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I just hope they aren't as cynical as they are in regular GTA. That's kind of what made RDR more tolerable is that they weren't up their own rear end about how everything sucks and actually liked the period they were talking about, even if they didn't shy away from how the cowboy age was kind of poo poo, but that it was on its way out. Then again, this is a game that's likely the fall of the van der Linde gang.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Crabtree posted:

I just hope they aren't as cynical as they are in regular GTA. That's kind of what made RDR more tolerable is that they weren't up their own rear end about how everything sucks and actually liked the period they were talking about, even if they didn't shy away from how the cowboy age was kind of poo poo, but that it was on its way out. Then again, this is a game that's likely the fall of the van der Linde gang.

I'm hoping that instead of Marsden's unwilling federal tool we get Arthur being a full on narc and he rides into the sunset at the end with many, many bags of US dollars.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I hope damage is a little more lenient than it was in GTAV. How much you could dish out vs how much you could take was pretty much perfect in RDR, but gunfights in GTAV were largely anticlimactic because you were so brittle. In a game series built on running from the police, it was one of the least fun things to do in the game.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you arent chaotic good wtf are you even doing?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Same, I'm going to be the rootin' tooninest nicest cowboy in the wild wild west/north. Shooting deputies...a smile. Petting all dogs. Refusing prostitutes and not gambling!

I'll be a drunk though. Like, 100% plastered at least 60%of the time.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Donovan Trip posted:

Also Max Payne 3 style weapon management/killshots

I wish Arthur could GUNDIVE

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Yeah same rip

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

He can. Obv theres no bullet time but I saw a clip of someone fighting wolves in the snow and there was definite diving and shooting

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Same, I'm going to be the rootin' tooninest nicest cowboy in the wild wild west/north. Shooting deputies...a smile. Petting all dogs. Refusing prostitutes and not gambling!

I'll be a drunk though. Like, 100% plastered at least 60%of the time.

But what will you be like in game? Ahohohoho

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Gundiving wolves goty

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

He can. I saw it in a leaked gameplay clip. No lie. There's no slowmo or anything (maybe you can couple it with dead eye?) but you can belly flop and shoot to your heart's content.

efb

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Also Bill Williamson is probably gonna be this horrible sack of poo poo that eggs Dutch on or fucks up because he got really greedy or he wanted some girl and she said no, but you can't kill the fucker.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you can pair this with Dead Eye that's all I'm going to be doing

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If you arent chaotic good wtf are you even doing?

which one is it if i only murder people in cold blood and loot their corpses after i've completed their sidequests because anything else would be suboptimal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can I equip two pistols at once?

e: hell yeah not only can you do that you can have a sawn off in one hand and a revolver in the other apparently.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Escobarbarian posted:

hell yeah same

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

if you can pair this with Dead Eye that's all I'm going to be doing

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I plan to be friendly and helpful when people seem nice, and then I'm gonna try to use the system where witnesses actually need to report you to be a secret serial killer by carefully planning out murders or finding people in the frontier all alone. It always bothered me when I killed someone on a hiking trail away from everyone in gta5 and cops would magically spawn on the trails in cop cars.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

hell yeah same

I'll be friendly unless the option exists to have an old timey quick draw fuckin' showdown, then I will always take the showdown option.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
First person to bowdive an iguana gets a million hits on yt

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I just want to be able to continually walk into people and make them fall over like in rdr.

Hearing the old timers say "TARNATION" as they fall over used to make me laugh my rear end off

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Literally the tension between midnight of this, payday, and the 15 minutes I took before checking my bank account, is some of the worst anxiety Ive ever had. I am ridiculous

Anyway game is pre-ordered and downloading now! Itll only take an hour and a half and then all I have to do is wait another 22 hours

(UK in case anyone is confused)

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Day Man posted:

It always bothered me when I killed someone on a hiking trail away from everyone in gta5 and cops would magically spawn on the trails in cop cars.
Let's hope they don't set animals as witnesses in this one then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Fart City posted:

I hope damage is a little more lenient than it was in GTAV. How much you could dish out vs how much you could take was pretty much perfect in RDR, but gunfights in GTAV were largely anticlimactic because you were so brittle. In a game series built on running from the police, it was one of the least fun things to do in the game.

From most of the leaks, it looks like Arthur is a goddamn tank.