Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Strange Matter posted:

I was already pretty lukewarm TFA and watching TLJ made me actively dislike that movie for the bill of goods that it handed over to Rian Johnson.

At least he gets to have his revenge on Abrams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm late to the party on TLJ; what's the story there? Was the backlash so noisy that Disney asked Abrams to come back?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Disney asked Abrams to come back months before TLJ was released - Colin Trevorrow was supposed to direct IX before that, but then The Book of Henry came out

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I hope Episode IX closes with C3PO, the last Skywalker, getting out of the Falcon after a long star war and then the Falcon falls apart like the Bluesmobile

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

C3PO was good for one JJ mystery box with the red arm thing; having served that purpose, he was thrown in the dumpster

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

C3PO was good for one JJ mystery box with the red arm thing; having served that purpose, he was thrown in the dumpster

Wait why did he have that arm tho

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

kidkissinger posted:

It even got changed back to his regular gold arm in the final scene

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

It even got changed back to his regular gold arm in the final scene

comprehension isn't totally necessary but why would they have it in there for absolutely no reason.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Strange Matter posted:

I'm late to the party on TLJ; what's the story there? Was the backlash so noisy that Disney asked Abrams to come back?

Rian Johnson was never going to direct IX, it was initially going to be Colin Trevorrow until his last movie turned out to be legendarily poo poo. Disney by all accounts actually really likes Rian so he's got some sort of story input and I think even was on the table to direct another, separate trilogy, but after they canned Trevorrow I don't think he was available/willing to direct IX, so they got JJ instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kidkissinger posted:

No joke - there is literally a comic book miniseries which explains this and it is from the guys who wrote and drew Starman for DC back in the 90s.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Rian Johnson was never going to direct IX, it was initially going to be Colin Trevorrow until his last movie turned out to be legendarily poo poo. Disney by all accounts actually really likes Rian so he's got some sort of story input and I think even was on the table to direct another, separate trilogy, but after they canned Trevorrow I don't think he was available/willing to direct IX, so they got JJ instead.

I remember back before VIII came out - maybe even before VII came out - that Johnson was reported as writing and directing VIII and also writing the story but not the script for IX. Trevorrow seemed to have gotten far enough that he'd spoken to some of the actors about it (I know for a fact that Daisy Ridley said he'd told her how he envisaged Rey's story ending and it made her cry; I think Hamill may have said that he'd met him about IX as well).

His getting fired is partly due to his movie being poorly-received and doing badly, but I've heard that there's some sort of bad blood between him and Frank Marshall going back to Jurassic World; Frank Marshall is an experienced producer in his own right (he also directed Congo, the best movie of all time) but this is mainly important in the context of Star Wars because Frank Marshall is also Mr Kathleen Kennedy. So maybe that was a factor.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Preston Waters posted:

There's literally no basis for this. There was no reason to think that all those generals at the round-table had no idea who he was. There was only the one general who challenged his "religion," which means he was known to them at least by the horror stories they'd heard. He obviously didn't keep that opinion for long. As for the search and destroy -- yea he went in with the shock troops to tear poo poo up because he was good at it and probably liked it. He clearly had command of the entire fleet sent to Hoth. Every commander who talks to him is terrified of him because he killed all their predecessors. Dude made a name for himself.

The big round table didn't know though, even if you discount the cut dialogue from the scene where they literally don't know who this guy is (where Vader is on-screen called a Sith Lord in a way that implies the guys don't know what a Sith Lord is.) Barring Tarkin they don't seem to know anything about him and are freaked out when he starts using space magic. The other two movies he work's as Sheevs Hatchet man, who exists to put the fear of god in the officers. He seems to be that guy who shows up, takes charge to get something done and then leaves but we never see the Rebellion or the people ever really mention him at all. He seems more like a kind of rumor that scared officers talk about in bars than a public figure. You can imagine some Junior Officer in the break room talking to his friends about the time this scary wizard came to the ship to direct them for some secret mission, killed someone for screwing up, and then left after he was done.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Because Abrams is a Hideo Kojima fan

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Whills, the aliens who created the Force,

Nah, now you're just making shi….

*googles*

Oh...

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

Because he had a silver leg in the original trilogy, but they removed all the subtlety when they reused the idea.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wheat Loaf posted:

No joke - there is literally a comic book miniseries which explains this and it is from the guys who wrote and drew Starman for DC back in the 90s.

I remember back before VIII came out - maybe even before VII came out - that Johnson was reported as writing and directing VIII and also writing the story but not the script for IX. Trevorrow seemed to have gotten far enough that he'd spoken to some of the actors about it (I know for a fact that Daisy Ridley said he'd told her how he envisaged Rey's story ending and it made her cry; I think Hamill may have said that he'd met him about IX as well).

His getting fired is partly due to his movie being poorly-received and doing badly, but I've heard that there's some sort of bad blood between him and Frank Marshall going back to Jurassic World; Frank Marshall is an experienced producer in his own right (he also directed Congo, the best movie of all time) but this is mainly important in the context of Star Wars because Frank Marshall is also Mr Kathleen Kennedy. So maybe that was a factor.

"Take the shot, mom" is the greatest comedic reveal of this generation, no way they had any issues with that movie.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Because he had a silver leg in the original trilogy, but they removed all the subtlety when they reused the idea.

An arm is not a log. So it's different and now you have to like it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dr.Radical posted:

Because Abrams is a Hideo Kojima fan

This is literally all it is.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
Abrams should have Kojima consult on Episode 9.

By which I mean "write and direct" of course.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Rey! Have you heard of the 'Bigger Luke' theory?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

I support this. If Star Wars is gonna go to poo poo I want it to GO TO poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Captain Splendid posted:

If a junkie who did horrible poo poo for 20 years suddenly got clean, how would you feel about him?

That kinda depends, but as far as fiction goes it could be plausible. Just look at Bubbles and his arc throughout The Wire

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Preston Waters posted:

Anyway, to throw one more opinion onto the bonfire regarding Episode IX and the ST -- I really wish Rian Johnson or someone qualified who isn't JJ would have directed it. One poster said that TLJ made the ST seem schizophrenic, and while I feel that is untrue having watched them back to back recently, I really enjoyed the fact that TLJ set everything up to go in a new direction, and I'm afraid that won't be the case now with JJ Abrams at the helm again. If he doesn't move the story forward while being faithful to TLJ, it's going to be a massive dud.

Hell, I keep going back and forth on whether or not this thing should be turned into a quadrilogy. I think the way TLJ ended, it felt like the end of the first half of a grand story. It's almost like we got the Resistance off the field and they gotta regroup during halftime and find out a way to come back and win. I want to see the new direction from Rian Johnson's vision. Maybe use IX to wrap up the majority of the OT character's stories, develop the Rey / Kylo thing more (it seems like it needs more time to blossom), show the Resistance get some wins and build back up, and then have the ultimate show-down in Episode X. Otherwise you're going to need a three and a half hour film to make things believable, and we know Disney would never allow that because it would hamstring the profit margins.

But mostly I just want to reiterate that there are reliable directors out there that aren't loving JJ Abrams. It would be great to have some poo poo wrapped up, questions answered, etc. The dude is notorious for introducing great ideas and then bailing on them because he has treatment-resistant ADHD or some poo poo. He's great with characters and drama, but I have zero faith in him wrapping this trilogy up in even a satisfactory manner.

Agreed.

Honestly I know it won't happen but with the way TLJ ends and Han/Luke/Leia gone anyway it'd be kind of awesome if IX had like a five or six year time jump or something. Otherwise I feel like Abrams is just going to reset everything a second time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

“Once you create a character and put it out there in the public mind, it warps and twists with every baseless rumor. And before you know it all people see are phantoms. In my case it works out just fine. I’m plenty used to working under aliases.” - Kylo Ren

“You were hamming it up as the tragic heroine thanks to the script that Luke Skywalker wrote for you. Pure self-indulgence, absorbed in his own misfortune, he couldn’t get enough of the drama.” - Snoke, to Rey

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Otherwise I feel like Abrams is just going to reset everything a second time.

I hope he does.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

“Once you create a character and put it out there in the public mind, it warps and twists with every baseless rumor. And before you know it all people see are phantoms. In my case it works out just fine. I’m plenty used to working under aliases.” - Kylo Ren

“You were hamming it up as the tragic heroine thanks to the script that Luke Skywalker wrote for you. Pure self-indulgence, absorbed in his own misfortune, he couldn’t get enough of the drama.” - Snoke, to Rey

"Why are we all here? Just to suicide?"

-Eff En

"Snoke? Snoke?! Snooooke!" -Snoke hangs up on Kylo

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

For one thing, there is simple honesty. If he didn't tell the real story, that means he claimed the credit for defeating Vader and the Emperor for himself.

Why would you think that instead of something like "they just died in the explosion."

quote:

That's nakedly evil, a lie calculated to inflate his reputation and conceal a heroic sacrifice which saved his life. And the only other apparent motive is distrust of the public's ability to handle a complex truth. You can't build a democracy on that sort of contempt for the intelligence of the voters.

Maybe he thought it was dangerous to let the entire galaxy know his dad butchered their loved ones? That wouldn't be evil. It would be rational for security reasons and it wouldn't be harming anyone. It would also protect his sister. And just lol about the second part. The average education level in the republic at large at that point was probably like the equivalent of second grade in the US. It was a war torn galaxy.

quote:

And there is furthermore the spiritual significance of Vader's sacrifice. What Vader did proved the Jedi dogma about the Dark Side wrong: it is possible to turn back; anyone can be redeemed. This sort of spiritual message is of immense importance; it necessitates a spirituality based on compassion. While the obvious allusion is to Christianity, in the East, Buddhism plays a similar role. A popular theme of Buddhist stories is of million-year-old demons coming to the Buddha to learn compassion and dharma. These are the two figures who have changed the way people think for the better more than any other; each changed entire civilizations to such a degree that their teachings are followed thousands of years later. Only a small number of similar figures whose significance I may be understating and the development of science really compare in terms of impact on humanity.

This is kind of getting out there, so I really can't comment as an atheist / "lapsed Catholic".

quote:

This ties Luke's private and public failures together: he could not even apply the lesson of his father's sacrifice on his behalf to himself, his failure was rooted in seeing Ben as too far gone to save, and ultimately, that was due to lying about what happened in the throne room rather than acknowledging and learning from the most important moment of his life, thus denying the entire galaxy a message capable of changing it entirely.

As someone who literally faced his evil father in a laser sword fight, in which he could have killed him but decided not to, I think Luke gets the benefit of the doubt on the whole "patricide is beyond the point of no return" thing. As for the bold part, wtf? Why are you assuming he lied about it instead of simply keeping it to himself? Why wouldn't he learn from it regardless if he told people or not? This makes no sense at all. And once again, why would the galaxy have a right to know what went down in the throne room? He went in there and saved the day and the details aren't important compared to the fact that the Rebellion pulled off a huge military victory. Maybe Intergalactic Wikileaks will reveal it in the next movie, Episode IX: Luke's Hidden Email Server

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
keeping it to himself while people crown him luke skywalker the legend is lying op

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I never got the feeling from any of the movies the galaxy at large gives much of a poo poo about the Jedi. Palpatine is able to murder them all and then claim they were evil and no one cares. Plenty of characters seem generally knowledgeable about their capabilities but except for, like, Anakin no one's impressed or intimidated upon meeting them. Watto's like gently caress off weirdo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

I never got the feeling from any of the movies the galaxy at large gives much of a poo poo about the Jedi. Palpatine is able to murder them all and then claim they were evil and no one cares. Plenty of characters seem generally knowledgeable about their capabilities but except for, like, Anakin no one's impressed or intimidated upon meeting them. Watto's like gently caress off weirdo.

I liked this comic from years back:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bushisms.txt posted:

"Snoke? Snoke?! Snooooke!"
That is actually the only possible reason Abrams could have given his Big Bad such a stupid name.

[Touches bandana] "Infinite POWAAAAH."

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Payndz posted:

That is actually the only possible reason Abrams could have given his Big Bad such a stupid name.

[Touches bandana] "Infinite POWAAAAH."

The punch ups for conversations would get really messy though.

"This weapon is made from death star tech!"
"Death Star?"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

JJ revealing that the entire time the Leia they’ve been talking to was an AI designed to recreate Luke Skywalker by putting a highly-groomed prospect, Rey, through a virtual recreation of the most famous events in the last fifty years was a twist no one really expected in Star Wars

Nor did anyone expect Finn to become a high-heeled cyborg ninja, but, hey, if John Boyega was game, can’t really knock it

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

The Cameo posted:

JJ revealing that the entire time the Leia they’ve been talking to was an AI designed to recreate Luke Skywalker by putting a highly-groomed prospect, Rey, through a virtual recreation of the most famous events in the last fifty years was a twist no one really expected in Star Wars

Nor did anyone expect Finn to become a high-heeled cyborg ninja, but, hey, if John Boyega was game, can’t really knock it

For a split second at the end of TLJ, I thought the reveal was "Luke was dead the whole time!!!" and i'm conflicted about whether or not that would have been better than what we got. But then you wouldn't have the whole self-sacrifice / redemption thing

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

The Cameo posted:

Rey...den. Checks out?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The Cameo posted:

LSS

(Luke Skywalker Simulation)

(Which actually stands for Look, Starwars Sucks)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

porfiria posted:

LSS

(Luke Skywalker Simulation)

(Which actually stands for Look, Starwars Sucks)

This also explains the bigger Luke theory! I think we cracked the mystery guys.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The Lake Like Luke Leke Loke?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

wyoming posted:

The Lake Like Luke Leke Loke?

The truth behind this franchise.....i’m not surprised you've never heard of them.

Very few are aware of their existence, even among those with codeword clearance.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Using midichlorians to explain everything in the prequels was annoying enough, but now we're supposed to accept vocal chord parasites can pretty much do whatever as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Solidus Snoke posted:

I'm no philanthropist. Star-Killer Base is far from impregnable. It needs other Death Stars as guards, a huge payload of TIE-Fighters, and full Star Destroyer support to function efficiently. Against a large attack force without support, Star-Killer is nothing more than a gigantic coffin. Seizing Star-Killer was never the real objective.