Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Democracy, brought to you by Ace Hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

General Dog posted:

My polling location was an Ace Hardware, which seemed kind of unusual.

Mine is a Fiesta.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

ace is the place with the helpful voting man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah national writers, you only set yourself up for disappointment. (Hurd was up 15 in a poll last week.)

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

A ted cruz sign in my area got shot full of holes or stabbed a bunch of times lmao

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

General Dog posted:

My polling location was an Ace Hardware, which seemed kind of unusual.

The one I usually go to is an Ace as well. It's got to be pretty good for them since no old white man can resist the siren song of a new pair of pliers

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my mom says my dad, who has claimed to have only voted twice, he says once against nixon (i always assumed this meant for carter, against ford) and once for obama as an anti-bush vote, may vote against lyin ted.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My grandpa says he hates Ted Cruz but doesn't like Beto. But he also told me the other day he voted for Abbott and should have voted for Wendy Davis so idk what's up with his political preferences. If you had asked me a month ago if Abbott/Davis swing voters existed I would have said "lol no"

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
33,211 voters in Bexar county today. Total of 102,539 in 3 days. almost 20,000 more than the same day in 2014.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What I wanna know is what's gonna happen to potato-face Cruz if he actually does lose the election and gets kicked right the gently caress out onto the streets. Cruz looks like one of those sleazy lifer politicians with no backup plan whatsoever if things go south. In a perfect world he would be bagging my groceries at the H.E.B. checkout line, but he'd probably get offered some cushy gig at Fox News or something.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I don't want Ted Cruz to touch my food

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

he will retire to northern california to pursue his other passions

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Parrotine posted:

What I wanna know is what's gonna happen to potato-face Cruz if he actually does lose the election and gets kicked right the gently caress out onto the streets. Cruz looks like one of those sleazy lifer politicians with no backup plan whatsoever if things go south. In a perfect world he would be bagging my groceries at the H.E.B. checkout line, but he'd probably get offered some cushy gig at Fox News or something.

Wingnut welfare in the form of a Fox contributor and "intellectual" with the Heritage Foundation or one of the many Right Wing think tanks.

Which is far too kind of a fate.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
If there was any justice he would become an adjunct at a school where Jeb! Is now the dean, and they have wacky hijinks and his wages are lowered each time. I'd watch that Netflix original series!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1055249436123820034

This is gonna be hilarious

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Parrotine posted:

Partner at some law firm somewhere or a gig at some lobbyist firm. Too unlikeable for even Fox.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unbelievable. I wanna sue the prosecutor for loving up the case

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Yeah Ted Cruz is so gross he isn’t even good for one of the usual lobbying gigs disgusting former politicians get. He could maybe get a Fox News spot but would probably go to some law firm. Even as a repellent slug creature he will be fine.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Let's be realistic, CNN would snap Cruz up long before he winds up crawling to Fox.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

ReidRansom posted:

Partner at some law firm somewhere or a gig at some lobbyist firm. Too unlikeable for even Fox.

Yea ted Cruz would likely be a good rainmaker for a Texas firm

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He's a debate nerd. He'd run the Heritage Foundation or CATO Institute if he lost.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PostNouveau posted:

I'm going back this weekend to knock on doors. I've been making calls too, but calling is less effective than doors, and there's plenty of people outside of the state on the dialer.

I have a question that I'm not sure how to ask without coming off as combative and also not writing 4 paragraphs (so please bear with me).

Does anyone actually change their beliefs because someone called them or gave them a flyer? I've really never understood the door knocking thing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Parrotine posted:

He’ll run for president in 2020.

Possibly as an independent.

If that doesn’t work out, THEN he’ll take a job at Fox News. Until 2024, when he’ll run for president again.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Marxalot posted:

I have a question that I'm not sure how to ask without coming off as combative and also not writing 4 paragraphs (so please bear with me).

Does anyone actually change their beliefs because someone called them or gave them a flyer? I've really never understood the door knocking thing.

It's less about changing opinions than it is motivating and ensuring like-minded people actually make it to the polls.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

He’ll run for president in 2020.

Possibly as an independent.

This will never happen. Dude has created his whole career around being brand name southern type GOP conservative. Trump blew all that up, but he doesn't have any enough appeal either within or outside of the GOP to do anything anymore. There will be some other hotness for the GOP after Trump but it ain't gonna be Cruz.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It's less about changing opinions than it is motivating and ensuring like-minded people actually make it to the polls.

This for sure. But also there are people out there who genuinely have no opinion somehow, yet are accepting and interested enough to listen. You wouldn't think these people exist, but reaching them, making a good impression, and providing your pamphlet does feel like it's making a difference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

Does anyone actually change their beliefs because someone called them or gave them a flyer?

Probably not! Although I can think of a couple of people on the dialer who I think I've swayed, it's a vanishingly small amount.

The goal of door knocking is to get them to make a plan to vote and a promise that they'll follow-through on that plan. Or to connect them with resources to get to the polls if they don't have transportation. Or to give them info about where to vote and when. Or to check them off the list completely.

Convincing them isn't really part of it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Zwabu posted:

This will never happen. Dude has created his whole career around being brand name southern type GOP conservative. Trump blew all that up, but he doesn't have any enough appeal either within or outside of the GOP to do anything anymore. There will be some other hotness for the GOP after Trump but it ain't gonna be Cruz.

I 100% believe it could happen. Cruz is exactly the right kind of stupid and crazy to tell America that losing his senate seat is a “sign from God” that he should run for president in 2020. Little details like “not having enough appeal” have not stopped him from doing dumb poo poo in the past.

EDIT: Actually Cruz running as a libertarian in 2020 might be a smart idea on his part, considering how many republicans hate Trump. If nothing else it’ll give him good publicity for another GOP run in 2024.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 25, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Marxalot posted:

It also helps with name recognition in less well-known races.

If you've literally never heard of a challenger to some local office but the flyer has some good stuff on it you agree with it can motivate you to look into the candidate.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I assume the point of calls is to motivate voters who are maybe less committed or who might put it off until they miss their chance. I got a call tonight from Beto campaign that was meant for my dad and they asked that question about a plan to get to the booth, I'm sure there's some psych behind how visualizing something makes you more likely to do it.

The call itself was awkward as hell though, they could immediately tell from my voice that they had the wrong number which threw them off and they were going to end the call there but I thought I'd try to assure them since my family asks me to coordinate their voting anyway. There were a lot of long awkward silences between every exchange and I think my lovely cell reception probably garbled everything I said but they didn't want to bring it up maybe? Or maybe I was making them veer away from their instructions by speaking for another person and they weren't sure how to handle it. Anyway, at least they were trying.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dawna Dukes is the name she was born with right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

yellowyams posted:

I assume the point of calls is to motivate voters who are maybe less committed or who might put it off until they miss their chance. I got a call tonight from Beto campaign that was meant for my dad and they asked that question about a plan to get to the booth, I'm sure there's some psych behind how visualizing something makes you more likely to do it.

The call itself was awkward as hell though, they could immediately tell from my voice that they had the wrong number which threw them off and they were going to end the call there but I thought I'd try to assure them since my family asks me to coordinate their voting anyway. There were a lot of long awkward silences between every exchange and I think my lovely cell reception probably garbled everything I said but they didn't want to bring it up maybe? Or maybe I was making them veer away from their instructions by speaking for another person and they weren't sure how to handle it. Anyway, at least they were trying.

It take a bit to get into the rhythm of it. You were probably their first call.

Also, there ARE downsides to just letting any random person become essentially an official part of your campaign. Some random people are weird and bad at it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1055466283507089408

Packed house in Lufkin for the liberal Democrat and Cornyn and Cruz can't fill a hotel ballroom

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sardonik posted:

This for sure. But also there are people out there who genuinely have no opinion somehow, yet are accepting and interested enough to listen. You wouldn't think these people exist, but reaching them, making a good impression, and providing your pamphlet does feel like it's making a difference.

yea there is a non-zero amount of people already sympathetic to these ideas but just not very politically motivated, and yea a dude showing up with a nice clear flyer all about 'hey this guy actually agrees with a lot of what you think is good and he's running for office' can make them more motivated.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
+2 for Beto. It was pouring down rain when my wife and I went to vote last night so no dramatic stories of long lines out the door at the polling location.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Well I didn't realize early voting ended at 4:30pm this week (at least it does in Harris County, not sure elsewhere), so I was a little peeved when I went to go vote around 5:00 yesterday only to get turned away. Will be going back this afternoon with my wife though to chalk up more Beto and Not-Republican votes.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I walked through the voting process with two people at work who have never voted. Gave them a link to vote411.org so they can make their decisions before getting to the polling station. It makes me feel a little hopeful because they wouldn't have showed up in any poll.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1055466283507089408

Packed house in Lufkin for the liberal Democrat and Cornyn and Cruz can't fill a hotel ballroom

:eyepop: jesus, a packed house in Lufkin with an applause for marijuana reform, poo poo is crazy

My brother still lives there and I dread the drive up there from Houston, although I did have a good experiencing interning at the Lufkin Daily News years and years ago when I was in college

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Dallas Morning News finally got around to making a Senate recommendation.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2018/10/25/recommend-beto-orourke-us-senate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wouldn't get too hype, they endorsed Sadler in 12