Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never played a Red Dead game before, and don’t have a PS3. Will this game be worth checking out if I hadn’t played the previous games?

If you like open world games at all, then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never played a Red Dead game before, and don’t have a PS3. Will this game be worth checking out if I hadn’t played the previous games?

As this is a prequel to the first Red Dead Redemption, it's a safe bet you'll be fine.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Happy Review Day :toot:

Daedalus1134 posted:

That is super cool.

From what I can tell the game only has like three revolvers which is a bit of a disappointment. There will probably be more, but in RDO as DLC.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

It's a prequel. The main character from the previous game is a fellow member of your gang. But it's not like he or anyone else in the game knows what happens in the first game yet. There will almost certainly be other things thrown in for fans but tbh I really don't think you'll be missing much.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

neat

https://streamable.com/6zf34

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JBP posted:

Wasn't there some insanely weird .50 derringer style one shot thing around?

Like it was more designer for being ambushed by a bear...

I don’t know about any cartridge derringers more powerful than .44 rimfire from the time period, except maybe .50 caliber muzzleloaders. There are derringers today going up to .45-70.

I went shooting today with an M1917 revolver (ballistically similar to the black powder .45 Colt loads of the old west) and a C96. I can see how the Mauser is an absolute game changer. Low recoil, high velocity, light trigger, extremely accurate...

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

poo poo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can only imagine how many gamers are going to attempt to add this to their Rube Goldberg Machine plans.

You know, aside from me.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Lord, have mercy!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Lord, have mercy!

BIG THICC

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
23 hours until unlock. Yes my dudes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

23 hours until unlock. Yes my dudes

8hrs my friend.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

? I'm in the "wild west" right now and there are still tons of Indians/reservations, even in the middle of a city of 2.5 million people.

Edit: my city's first city hall, as proof, and because I love this photo:

I don’t know what you’re talking about but Indian nations were largely pacified by 1890. That’s all I was referring to.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

JBP posted:

8hrs my friend.
Aus supremacy :hfive:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

18 hours and one no minutes in the UK

I'm losing my drat mind

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm going to do a speed, cocaine, mdma, valium, klonopin ball just as the game is released.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Lord, have mercy!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

For the axe you can get in gta5, do I need to kill other players, or are npc’s an option?

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa

Day Man posted:

For the axe you can get in gta5, do I need to kill other players, or are npc’s an option?

NPCs. You should get a text from a Maude which will give you a location

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Can you dual wield revolvers.

I want a Roland Deschain a town.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

was that a command to make your horse flee?! gently caress, getting into an intense ambush and just smacking your horse to make sure it gets out safely, yes thank you.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I'm going to do a speed, cocaine, mdma, valium, klonopin ball just as the game is released.

i'm gonna drink some lagavulin whisky :)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

crime fighting hog posted:

Can you dual wield revolvers.

I want a Roland Deschain a town.

You can dual wield any combination of one-handed guns, including sawed-off shotguns.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Any word on if we can use a VPN on Xbox to unlock early when it goes live in New Zealand ala some games on Steam?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait to gently caress and have to put my horse down that sounds like some great gameplay.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

JBP posted:

Can't wait to gently caress and have to put my horse down that sounds like some great gameplay.

Hell, sounds like a great irl experience too

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Who shot that guy?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Media Bloodbath posted:

Who shot that guy?

the horse had a colt single action army nestled between it's dynamic testicles and shot the guy

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

I remember hearing about this exact encounter on a podcast. Continues to make me nervous about how much of this is scripted vs. emergent

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'm probably not going to be able to play this game for years cause i can't afford a ps4 and stuff so instead i watched a cowboy movie.

Once upon a time in the west.

It loving sucked,But hendry fonda had some good cowboy outfits for sure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WarpDogs posted:

I remember hearing about this exact encounter on a podcast. Continues to make me nervous about how much of this is scripted vs. emergent

I hope they just have the horse kicks/aggression dialled up way too high and people are being booted to death by horses every time you encounter a social setting.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

It's almost certainly a very hyped up version of RDR1 probably with more encounters.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

Qubee posted:

the horse had a colt single action army nestled between it's dynamic testicles and shot the guy

We need an emote for that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sedisp posted:

It's almost certainly a very hyped up version of RDR1 probably with more encounters.

This is not a bad thing

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Lid posted:

This is not a bad thing

Not at all I just feel like people need to temper their expectations since the word emergent is being thrown around a lot.

When they happen is probably emergent but the events themselves are absolutely scripted unless Rockstar made a massive breakthrough in vidya game ai it was always going to be that way.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFw7aVG2MWU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

Sedisp posted:

Not at all I just feel like people need to temper their expectations since the word emergent is being thrown around a lot.

When they happen is probably emergent but the events themselves are absolutely scripted unless Rockstar made a massive breakthrough in vidya game ai it was always going to be that way.

We would have heard about that by now.

Remember SOE trying that with Everquest NEXT or whatever it was called? They devoted a lot of resources to it and failed so miserably they got sold off to a shady Russian company.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Media Bloodbath posted:

We would have heard about that by now.

Remember SOE trying that with Everquest NEXT or whatever it was called? They devoted a lot of resources to it and failed so miserably they got sold off to a shady Russian company.

Not really. Well designed systems disguise the tricks game designers use to make AI decisions and encounters seem emergent.

Heck people thought the exact same thing about RDR1.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
cant wait to play this on pc next never

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

"Horse kicks and kills its owner" is probably one of X amount of random things that can happen while you're riding around to spice up the world so it's probably both of those things.

It's not like this game is going to show me something that you will never see and you'll see things I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm probably not going to be able to play this game for years cause i can't afford a ps4 and stuff so instead i watched a cowboy movie.

Once upon a time in the west.

It loving sucked,But hendry fonda had some good cowboy outfits for sure.

Wow.