Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bennett looks at Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and also has a nice side discussion about colour theory and the difference between cell painting and digital painting.

VHD:B owns, the side discussion was interesting but undercooked, but all the attempts at humor were all groan-inducing. Like he starts with a mea culpa about how his old humor didn't age well and then proceeds to make more bad jokes without really going in depth about why the movie owns. It's basically just like, a plot synopsis and the opportunity to remind people to watch the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s always a little disappointing to me when he talks about how he doesn’t like his early videos.

Admittedly, most creative people go through something like that as their style changes over time, but he should still be proud of that sense of humor that earned him so many dedicated fans in the first place. I’m one of them, and I still enjoy his old stuff.

Edit: Well, I enjoy his old stuff except for those dreadul animated skits he used to do.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 23, 2018

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kim Justice posted:

Don't watch crap like that, watch this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWro7NGBKo

(Well, if you have a spare 2 and a half hours anyway and want to learn about possibly the UK's most loved games studio ever. But I think of all the videos I've done and...yeah, this is probably my proudest achievement to date.)

Hey Kim, love your Essays on gaming studios from the past. You are focusing on UK studios for obvious reasons, but I wonder if you have any plans on tackling studios from abroad in the future? For example Factor 5; from Turrican to Lair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bakeneko posted:

It’s always a little disappointing to me when he talks about how he doesn’t like his early videos.

Admittedly, most creative people go through something like that as their style changes over time, but he should still be proud of that sense of humor that earned him so many dedicated fans in the first place. I’m one of them, and I still enjoy his old stuff.

Edit: Well, I enjoy his old stuff except for those dreadul animated skits he used to do.

They are very much emblematic of the time though, when it felt like every Channel Awesome alumni had to have sketches and skits to pad out the runtime.

I just want Gabe and Marc Swint to show up again. It's getting dull just having suave and macho sage. As far as I know they both still help Bennett produce the videos but they haven't been onscreen in like a year.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Hey Kim, love your Essays on gaming studios from the past. You are focusing on UK studios for obvious reasons, but I wonder if you have any plans on tackling studios from abroad in the future? For example Factor 5; from Turrican to Lair.

My plans at the moment definitely centre around UK studios and people - mainly because right now I'm focusing on upping my documentary game. This Sensi doc is emblematic of the sort of things I want to do with them now - to actually go to the people who were involved with the studios and get them involved, to have documentary vids that are more based around primary research rather than secondary (it's tricky, especially seeing as it's still just me doing everything! I need to get something that stops me from having to look at the camera all the bloody time :D) so naturally right now, UK-based things are a little easier to manage. I want to get at least one more video on the level of this one out by the end of the year (I know the subject(s) who'll likely be involved and know they're well up for it, it's just a matter of organising which I can probably do this coming weekend in Blackpool. Plus there's another little thing I want to try and pull off on the fly *if* I and others have time).

Still, are Factor 5 (by extension Rainbow Arts as well, although Factor 5 are obviously such a key dev studio and would be the main attraction) a subject for the future? Yeah, definitely. They're on the wish list, I suppose - you've got several key people who are kind of all over the place, but whose contributions would be invaluable (Manfred Trenz, Chris Hulsbeck, Julian Eggebrecht and others). As it goes I did an online interview with Chris Hulsbeck a couple of years back which in many ways was...well, a learning experience! Great guy though. Had remarkable patience even as I had to sort through literally every possible technical problem occurring at once.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Roth posted:

I took one for the team and watched Hotdiggedydemon's video on Apu.

Holy hell, he spends half the video rambling about Apu's positive characteristics, most prominently the fact that he is successful with women, then proceeds to invalidate most of his argument by claiming that Apu is fictional so it doesn't matter. There's a point where he says "How come I'm not racist?", and ends with the point that he's Italian and doesn't find Mario offensive because he's a cartoon character, so Apu is fine.

It was kinda like that feeling when you watch something and just go "This has to be satire" the entire way through as a weak denial that somebody actually believes this.
You are stronger than I am, I skipped to the end after he compared Apu to Mr Burns as an stereotypical caricature of the 1%.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90joZNE9oOA
:lol: At that dig at Tim Heidecker

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Why does Macaulay remind me of a smaller Chris Jericho?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 24, 2018

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0G1jvz0khQ
Awesome trans lady explains why sexual harassment a bad in anime and in japan.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Phillby posted:

You are stronger than I am, I skipped to the end after he compared Apu to Mr Burns as an stereotypical caricature of the 1%.

It helps that I watched it in a group.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Annointed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0G1jvz0khQ
Awesome trans lady explains why sexual harassment a bad in anime and in japan.

so this person at the beginning and mother's basement had said this was a good anime but it sounds really bad and weird? What the gently caress is even that "ritual of marrying and (metaphorically) loving a dragon"? And from the art style I think I thought more of the dragon pilots were women but I guess that was wrong. This is one of the reasons I mostly stay away from anime.

The youtuber sounds interesting. Might subscribe to her after watching some of the other videos.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

so this person at the beginning and mother's basement had said this was a good anime but it sounds really bad and weird? What the gently caress is even that "ritual of marrying and (metaphorically) loving a dragon"? And from the art style I think I thought more of the dragon pilots were women but I guess that was wrong. This is one of the reasons I mostly stay away from anime.

The youtuber sounds interesting. Might subscribe to her after watching some of the other videos.

Well more "this anime has good parts but drat is these things skeevy as gently caress."

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think all of the dragon pilots are women but it's attached to the airforce which is almost all male.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I really liked the poparena video on Halloween 4. It has the same "problem" as all good analyses of bad horror movies, that being they sorta speculate a much better version of the movie that I now really want to watch instead of the actual movie.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

Don't watch crap like that, watch this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWro7NGBKo

(Well, if you have a spare 2 and a half hours anyway and want to learn about possibly the UK's most loved games studio ever. But I think of all the videos I've done and...yeah, this is probably my proudest achievement to date.)

That was really good. Cannon Fodder really took me back. Also got into staring competitions with you when you looked at the camera for any length of time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The bad and weird bits are supposed to be bad and weird. Hisone and Masotan is a satirical take on women's experiences in the Japanese workforce that I still can't quite believe the Japanese Air Self-Defence Force was conned into co-sponsoring, and the main story is about the female cast developing the confidence to go 'no, gently caress off, I'm going to pilot this cool dragon and I'm not going to give up anything to do it or stand aside when my co-workers get brutalised because of it'.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Not sure if this is the right place (Again) but:

I mostly watch Polygon Videos because I think they are cute and fun, but it feels really weird how their Video content is out there and kind of nice and progressive and then.

Every written article I see from them is defending lootboxes or crunch or whatever.

I know there is a practical divide likely between their video and print teams but it still seems a little sharp

https://twitter.com/untimelygamer/status/1054837914570493954

What started this thought.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 24, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Reads like those sponsored ads Yahoo would show me when Battlefront 2 was coming out about how great the graphics were.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kim Justice posted:

My plans at the moment definitely centre around UK studios and people - mainly because right now I'm focusing on upping my documentary game. This Sensi doc is emblematic of the sort of things I want to do with them now - to actually go to the people who were involved with the studios and get them involved, to have documentary vids that are more based around primary research rather than secondary (it's tricky, especially seeing as it's still just me doing everything! I need to get something that stops me from having to look at the camera all the bloody time :D) so naturally right now, UK-based things are a little easier to manage. I want to get at least one more video on the level of this one out by the end of the year (I know the subject(s) who'll likely be involved and know they're well up for it, it's just a matter of organising which I can probably do this coming weekend in Blackpool. Plus there's another little thing I want to try and pull off on the fly *if* I and others have time).

Still, are Factor 5 (by extension Rainbow Arts as well, although Factor 5 are obviously such a key dev studio and would be the main attraction) a subject for the future? Yeah, definitely. They're on the wish list, I suppose - you've got several key people who are kind of all over the place, but whose contributions would be invaluable (Manfred Trenz, Chris Hulsbeck, Julian Eggebrecht and others). As it goes I did an online interview with Chris Hulsbeck a couple of years back which in many ways was...well, a learning experience! Great guy though. Had remarkable patience even as I had to sort through literally every possible technical problem occurring at once.

Alright, thanks in advance then! :tipshat:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Stormgale posted:

Not sure if this is the right place (Again) but:

I mostly watch Polygon Videos because I think they are cute and fun, but it feels really weird how their Video content is out there and kind of nice and progressive and then.

Every written article I see from them is defending lootboxes or crunch or whatever.

I know there is a practical divide likely between their video and print teams but it still seems a little sharp

https://twitter.com/untimelygamer/status/1054837914570493954

What started this thought.

Polygon is literally funded through sponsored "native" content rather than traditional advertisements. Any non-propagandistic journalism they do is, especially in the age of declining YouTube revenues, a smokescreen.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

DoctorWhat posted:

Polygon is literally funded through sponsored "native" content rather than traditional advertisements. Any non-propagandistic journalism they do is, especially in the age of declining YouTube revenues, a smokescreen.

Either that, or their writers are suddenly weirdly defensive of Red Dead II. Remember Sim City and one of their writers getting weird about the criticisms levelled at it?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Local girl talks about movie where he do a stab

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Vagabundo posted:

Either that, or their writers are suddenly weirdly defensive of Red Dead II. Remember Sim City and one of their writers getting weird about the criticisms levelled at it?

SimCity 2013 ships with always-online single-player.

People complain about not being able to play it, and that it should be patched for offline play.

Around a week later, SimCity gets a user-made fix that makes it possible to play the game offline.

:ironicat:

Incidentally, I saw this tweet as well:

Gies did end up leaving Polygon, some time last year.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Most gaming websites are bloody awful aren't they? Not that that's anything new in the slightest. It might be more accurate to say that they've mostly never been good to begin with.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Max Wilco posted:

People complain about not being able to play it, and that it should be patched for offline play.

Around a week later, SimCity gets a user-made fix that makes it possible to play the game offline.

the fact that polygon employed both arthur gies and ben kuchera is all the evidence needed that they are absolutely fuckin terrible. even by the low, low standards of gaming websites, polygon really goes above and beyond to be particularly poo poo and they always have been awful since day 1.

Kim Justice posted:

Most gaming websites are bloody awful aren't they? Not that that's anything new in the slightest. It might be more accurate to say that they've mostly never been good to begin with.

giant bomb is good and uh

well

guess that's the only good one oh well

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the fact that polygon employed both arthur gies and ben kuchera is all the evidence needed that they are absolutely fuckin terrible. even by the low, low standards of gaming websites, polygon really goes above and beyond to be particularly poo poo and they always have been awful since day 1.

their video team's cool, but they never do anything fun anymore so :rip:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
gently caress. I remember way back when, like 2002-3, there was this game review site called Gaming Intelligence Agency. Their reviews were really fun, meaningful and mostly free of fanboy bullshit, as well as going out of their way to get people to notice smaller, weird, good titles that were being overlooked. They closed not long after I found them.

And then writing this I discovered they revived the site, but then closed it down again because they thought 1-There was tons of good gaming writing out there (which, well, I don't quite agree), and 2- toxic Gamergate assholes killed their enthudiasm for the medium. I don't even know if their recent incarnation was still good, but it feels rotten all the same.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like this is a sign of how game development has changed in the past decade. The first tweet isn't necessarily wrong in it's assertion, just massively wrong in hindsight. While patching Sim City to work offline did come to pass, during the time it wasn't an outsider couldn't say with authority that the resources to make a sweeping change to the structure of their shipped project was feasible or not. This isn't just a question of technical feasibility, but of time and money and how that shakes out in the end.

And that's how things were for a long time, so leaning on that past assumption wasn't too crazy I think, even though his wording was really defensive. Now it seems like as the investments get larger and larger, the ability to about-face and really hunt after that return on investment is more probable than ever. It crazy to me that a game like No Man's Sky went through as much development after shipping to turn it into a game that people actually wanted to play, especially for a game that's a one time purchase with no DLC or microtransactions. Another example being the Xbox One with how much they were willing to completely change direction.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

If I had the time and inclination at the moment, I'd find some of the dumb stuff Polygon has posted in the past.

This article, however, stands out in my mind for the site that billed itself as wanting to 'change the face of gaming journalism'.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

giant bomb is good and uh

well

guess that's the only good one oh well

US Gamer is pretty good (though I haven't visited their site in a while). However, I like US Gamer better back when it was 1UP.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dork457 posted:

I feel like this is a sign of how game development has changed in the past decade. The first tweet isn't necessarily wrong in it's assertion, just massively wrong in hindsight. While patching Sim City to work offline did come to pass, during the time it wasn't an outsider couldn't say with authority that the resources to make a sweeping change to the structure of their shipped project was feasible or not. This isn't just a question of technical feasibility, but of time and money and how that shakes out in the end.

And that's how things were for a long time, so leaning on that past assumption wasn't too crazy I think, even though his wording was really defensive. Now it seems like as the investments get larger and larger, the ability to about-face and really hunt after that return on investment is more probable than ever. It crazy to me that a game like No Man's Sky went through as much development after shipping to turn it into a game that people actually wanted to play, especially for a game that's a one time purchase with no DLC or microtransactions. Another example being the Xbox One with how much they were willing to completely change direction.

thing is, people hacked simcity to be playable offline in like, a week. and the game itself could lose connection but remain playable for up to half an hour, as many found out on release day when the servers were hosed. from day 1, gies was 100% completely, demonstrably wrong in saying that.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

thing is, people hacked simcity to be playable offline in like, a week. and the game itself could lose connection but remain playable for up to half an hour, as many found out on release day when the servers were hosed. from day 1, gies was 100% completely, demonstrably wrong in saying that.

I guess I mean more in like EA saying "there's not gonna be a new Sim City without some kind of online aspect so we can push Origin" and them underestimating the environment that exists now where game companies feel more pressure to go back and change course on those missteps. Gies probably was only talking about technical feasibility but it was just the norm before this generation of consoles that games didn't change like that, so why not take the developer's word if that's what you're used to.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dork457 posted:

The problem isn't him being wrong about the game not working with or without an internet connection. The problem is that people were upset that they paid full price for a game that they couldn't actually play for arbitrary reasons, argued that it should be altered, and Gies was basically telling them to shut up.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Sephyr posted:

gently caress. I remember way back when, like 2002-3, there was this game review site called Gaming Intelligence Agency. Their reviews were really fun, meaningful and mostly free of fanboy bullshit, as well as going out of their way to get people to notice smaller, weird, good titles that were being overlooked. They closed not long after I found them.

And then writing this I discovered they revived the site, but then closed it down again because they thought 1-There was tons of good gaming writing out there (which, well, I don't quite agree), and 2- toxic Gamergate assholes killed their enthudiasm for the medium. I don't even know if their recent incarnation was still good, but it feels rotten all the same.

drat, you got me missing The GIA all over again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is anyone involved with GIA doing their own thing?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gies and Polygon as a whole has always been terrible shills for the industry. They promote and assist any and all practices that hurt consumers and/or developers because they are class traitors. Anyone who honestly bought that Simcity "needed" its online for anything other than EA bombarding you with micro-transactions is stupid enough that they must think there are dozens of Nigerian princes out to give them millions.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s real frustrating that we showed that people into gaming could organize, and we could get some real change in the way too chummy relationship some game sites have with publishers, but instead that power was used to show that nerds are actually terrible, terrible people.

Are there any journalism outlets funded solely via patreon or something. I don’t mean people like hbomberguy, a person or small group that put out a video essay every so often, but a site with a staff and regular coverage of industry news?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s real frustrating that we showed that people into gaming could organize, and we could get some real change in the way too chummy relationship some game sites have with publishers, but instead that power was used to show that nerds are actually terrible, terrible people.

Are there any journalism outlets funded solely via patreon or something. I don’t mean people like hbomberguy, a person or small group that put out a video essay every so often, but a site with a staff and regular coverage of industry news?

Jim Sterling constantly gets industry sources to anonymously tip him and divulge information. Add a few more people like that, maybe ones who can produce less angry, more rigorous analysts, get them to work together, and you might have an actual games muckraking outfit. I'd patronize that.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You've got Easy Allies as well, which is mostly people who used to work for GameTrailers and are now wholly funded via Patreon. Of course that's mostly video stuff.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

You've got Easy Allies as well, which is mostly people who used to work for GameTrailers and are now wholly funded via Patreon. Of course that's mostly video stuff.
I thought they had some corporate funding as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I don't have time for a big post but it's probably useful to think separately about games journalism, games reviews, and games criticism.