Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Excellent advice! I also bought some xanthan gum just in case I needed it.

I was able to buy everything from a farmers co-op market so like I bought micro amounts of just what I needed, for instance I weighed 10 grams of salt out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Xanthan gum is a pain in the rear end to work with. It does not like to disperse. I've heard it can be helpful to disperse it in a very small amount of oil before adding it to your sauce.

Also, don't overdo it. A little goes a long way. Too much and your sauce will be like...well, this was an attempt at making slime with water and xanthan. I did not let me kids play with it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Xanthan gum is a pain in the rear end to work with. It does not like to disperse. I've heard it can be helpful to disperse it in a very small amount of oil before adding it to your sauce.

Also, don't overdo it. A little goes a long way. Too much and your sauce will be like...well, this was an attempt at making slime with water and xanthan. I did not let me kids play with it.

Sure you took the picture of the right cup? Looks like you were trying to turn in a semen sample.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
We have any Louisiana folks about that can offer wisdom on the Swamp Dragon line? Because it sure does sound like a winner and one of legit distinction at that~

https://swampdragonhotsauce.com/

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

:gizz:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

We have any Louisiana folks about that can offer wisdom on the Swamp Dragon line? Because it sure does sound like a winner and one of legit distinction at that~

https://swampdragonhotsauce.com/

I cannot, but I can tell you I will be looking for it in the very near future.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Loutre posted:

My favorite internet purchase so far has to be The Pepper Plant.

https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Plant-Sauce-Original-Pack/dp/B07199H39F/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1537888502&sr=8-3&keywords=pepper+plant

Not particularly hot, but has a distinct flavor I love on a lot of foods. Not sure what it is exactly. I've bought a dozen different sauces in the last year, Pepper Plant's the only one I've reordered multiple times - I'm on my sixth bottle right now.

Picked up a bottle of this along with a bottle of their garlic. Both pack a ton of flavor, it's also slightly chunky which I enjoy. Good stuff!

I asked this in the general thread and didn't get any suggestions, I assume this might be the next best thread. Does anyone have any go to seasoning salt they prefer for chicken/pork? Something without sugar is my only requirement and preferably without things that will burn while cooking. I see Pepper Plant has their own seasoning with a good rating, might give that a try.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 24, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Just go to the spice aisle and look at the ingredients list of the two dozen they have until you find one without sugar. Most of them are pretty good (because it's mostly salt) and it's highly subjective as to which is the best (because it's mostly salt). If there's no sugar in there your burning issue should be solved unless you're truly helpless in the kitchen.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I like the Goya range. The red with pepper and green with cumin are both good. I'm sorta searching for the bitter orange one locally, without much luck yet. I've no reason to doubt any of the others would be good. Their Sazonador Total is good with less salt overall, so it's easier to use in addition to other seasoning.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It's me, I'm the idiot that has been escalating the hot sauces up until I decided to eat a Carolina Reaper one evening. The burn in my mouth was hot but bearable and went away after just 15 minutes.

I went to bed feeling perfectly fine, but at about 12:30 am I felt it hit my intestines. And it didn't go away. And it just got worse and worse.

So I had to wait in agony as it worked its way inch by inch through me, occasionally sprinting to the can and getting nothing done. That is seriously one of the worst pains I've been in in my adult life! When it was finally out at 5:30 am it was one of the greatest reliefs I've ever felt.

Don't do what I did. Chew your peppers properly.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

evobatman posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot that has been escalating the hot sauces up until I decided to eat a Carolina Reaper one evening. The burn in my mouth was hot but bearable and went away after just 15 minutes.

I went to bed feeling perfectly fine, but at about 12:30 am I felt it hit my intestines. And it didn't go away. And it just got worse and worse.

So I had to wait in agony as it worked its way inch by inch through me, occasionally sprinting to the can and getting nothing done. That is seriously one of the worst pains I've been in in my adult life! When it was finally out at 5:30 am it was one of the greatest reliefs I've ever felt.

I had a similar event happen after eating some "shut the cluck up" level Nashville hot chicken. It clearly had a bunch of extract and wasn't too bad going down but later that night I woke up at around the same time with magma/battery-acid wanting to come out both ends.

I never order gimmicky hot stuff anymore. The "hot" level is plenty spicy.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I had a similar event happen after eating some "shut the cluck up" level Nashville hot chicken. It clearly had a bunch of extract and wasn't too bad going down but later that night I woke up at around the same time with magma/battery-acid wanting to come out both ends.

I never order gimmicky hot stuff anymore. The "hot" level is plenty spicy.

I had the same experience with that same chicken. It's not got a good flavor, very heavy on the extract. I'd rather have some with actual peppers and flavor, even if it's a reaper or something else super hot, over extracts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let this also be a lesson for why you should never order something "thai spicy" because they'll just dump the collected seeds and veins from the bottom of the bucket on your meal.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

same. for me it felt like a charly horse in my abdomen. like my intestines had been tied in a knot. I wanted to curl up in a ball and die.

unless you're a youtube dumbass who tortures yourself for money, don't eat those superhots raw. you'll regret it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I grew reapers this year, and I cut a slice of one Sunday and ate it raw, about a quarter of a pepper. Immediate pain, followed by nausea. The nausea was over in about 20 minutes, the pain lasted a solid hour. It was a decidedly non-recreational experience.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I have definitely had meals so spicy I could feel where exactly they were in my digestive tract for hours. Super not fun and basically crippling.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just forwarded my wife and parents the creepily prescient marketing email I got from Amazon that suggested I would like books on hot sauce and fermentation. Guess I’m all in now.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hot-sauce-collection

Dude has 8000+ hot sauces in his collection. Anyone want to Ocean 11's some of that?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Christ, it looks like a library of sauces.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Flaggy posted:

Dude has 8000+ hot sauces in his collection. Anyone want to Ocean 11's some of that?

I'm in. Dibs on being the distraction.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I like hot chile's and my normal hot sauces are habenero based but the one time I actually hurt my self was in a small town in Southwest New Mexico and ordered a Christmas plate of pork Chile. I ate the whole plate to swallow my pride so the waitress wouldn't make fun of me. That was a mistake! Rose's paper products from Albuquerque still haunt my rear end literally that toilet paper is part wax and pine tree pitch. When people ask me how I eat hot stuff I just reply " You get calluses"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Flaggy posted:

I want this plus another room for an 8000+ sardine collection

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

the sardines wouldn't make it past construction, you know this.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I want to throw a baseball right at that sauce wall.

Anyone have favorite apple cider vinegar-based sauces? I got a month of the Hot Ones box as a birthday present which included this stuff which is delicious but super thin and runny, it really kicked rear end on a meat lover's pizza. That being said, I didn't get the dates or the whiskey or anything, just a spicy apple cider vinegar more than anything and I feel like people have to be doing that better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pahuyuth posted:

The folks who run the National Mustard Museum in Middleton, Wisconsin (just outside Madison's far west side), might have an outside shot at beating you, since they're at like 7,000 mustards and expanding rapidly because of new ownership and debt forgiveness.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hello fellow hot sauce fanatics,

Throwing in a good word for the Palo Alto Fire Fighters sauces. My favorite sauce in the universe is their Ghost Pepper sauce.

Not sure how far they distribute, but I see them in the Sac / Bay areas

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Hello fellow hot sauce fanatics,

Throwing in a good word for the Palo Alto Fire Fighters sauces. My favorite sauce in the universe is their Ghost Pepper sauce.

Not sure how far they distribute, but I see them in the Sac / Bay areas

I've never tried that one, but I think I will remedy that because I see that they sell it through their website.

https://paloaltofirefighters.com/buy-pepper-sauce/

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've ordered through this website that carries them before and they let me add in some of the Palo Alto Firefighters Habanero packets as a freebie. They were like a platonic ideal taco sauce.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Marie Sharps Green Habanero Sauce is now in my top five, I think. Valentina Black is great. The regular habanero sauces from MS are great, I like their 'bite', but this green hab sauce is just stellar.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Apparently Secret Aardvark has a new sauce, or at least new to me. Serrabanero Green Hot Sauce, kind of watery but tastes alright. Would probably be good on eggs or tacos. It's ok, but probably wouldn't buy it again.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aardv...dpSrc=srch&th=1

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

Apparently Secret Aardvark has a new sauce, or at least new to me. Serrabanero Green Hot Sauce, kind of watery but tastes alright. Would probably be good on eggs or tacos. It's ok, but probably wouldn't buy it again.

thank you for this info and link!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

katkillad2 posted:

Amazon has this "Yellowbird" habanero sauce linked with that one. Anyone tried that one before?

https://www.amazon.com/Yellowbird-H...H41K2P30K91BC2G

E: Also. I noticed the other night that my local Kroger is carrying Carolina Reapers now. I was tempted to buy them, but at the same time I know eating a superhot raw is a terrible idea and I'd end up throwing them out... and I hate wasting food.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 11, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Loutre posted:

My favorite internet purchase so far has to be The Pepper Plant.

https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Plant-Sauce-Original-Pack/dp/B07199H39F/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1537888502&sr=8-3&keywords=pepper+plant

Not particularly hot, but has a distinct flavor I love on a lot of foods. Not sure what it is exactly. I've bought a dozen different sauces in the last year, Pepper Plant's the only one I've reordered multiple times - I'm on my sixth bottle right now.

Is this online only? Went to Whole Foods as they said they had some there cheaper but...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

Amazon has this "Yellowbird" habanero sauce linked with that one. Anyone tried that one before?

E: Also. I noticed the other night that my local Kroger is carrying Carolina Reapers now. I was tempted to buy them, but at the same time I know eating a superhot raw is a terrible idea and I'd end up throwing them out... and I hate wasting food.

everything yellowbird makes is good. the habanero is my favorite.

ps: make chili with the reapers. once you spread all that heat out among the ingredients it is a lot less intimidating.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

uber_stoat posted:

ps: make chili with the reapers. once you spread all that heat out among the ingredients it is a lot less intimidating.

I was at the store to get stuff to make jambalaya tomorrow, and I did debate it. We're getting into chili and bean weather, so, I mean, I might, but at the same time I have some reaper sauces that are more hot than I'd like to eat often. We'll see.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

agreed x 2

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

Yellow bird is awesome. I’m trying to replicate their stuff with homemade sauces, partially because it’s fun and partially because I have more reasons to keep their stuff on hand.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
https://www.wired.com/story/resiniferatoxin/

Move over Carolina Reaper.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sounds like awesome science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

I got some of the jalapeno Yellowbird a few weeks ago after catching up the thread, and definitely would recommend that as well - real nice balance of flavor plus being hot enough to give the sinuses a good clear, been putting it on basically everything that's even vaguely appropriate.

Aardvark is tasty, but definitely get more of a BBQ vibe...haven't had a chance to make a batch of wings or whatnot to really let it shine yet.