Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

HORMELCHILI posted:

So glad to see this game VASTLY outperforms the ps4 pro version on the one X. Feels so good to wake up today knowing i wont be missing out on anything for this once in a lifetime game release. Hype for midnight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Starks posted:

So the consensus seems to be: great open world, bad story and writing, good gameplay

It’s a rockstar game alright

No, exact opposite. The story, writing, gameplay, and open world are all great.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah most of the reviews I've seen are saying it's a very good story, apparently a lot less cynical and more earnest than other rockstar games.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If I have a 1080p TV and no next-gen system, is it worth buying an Xbox One X or a PS4 Pro just to play this game? Because fuuuuuck paying Microsoft another dime versus Sony just to play this game in its fully glory. :argh:

Absolutely get the One X. Best performance for red dead 2, games pass, anything you had on 360 you can redownload for free, most with enhancements to actually look and run better. I havent touched my ps4 peo since getting a one X

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Maybe it depends how you like the first games story, but “A story in the shadow of its predecessor” sounds pretty rough to me since I thought the first games writing was pretty bad.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Starks posted:

Maybe it depends how you like the first games story, but “A story in the shadow of its predecessor” sounds pretty rough to me since I thought the first games writing was pretty bad.

In the giantbomb QL, Alex said he thought the writing was generally more mature and less whacky/caricatured than the first game, though he also said some of that stuff was still in there.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The only review you should care about is Easy Allies.

never heard of these guys but yeah that was a really good review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwm1TA8NJXk

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

HORMELCHILI posted:

So glad to see this game VASTLY outperforms the ps4 pro version on the one X. Feels so good to wake up today knowing i wont be missing out on anything for this once in a lifetime game release. Hype for midnight!

I just threw my PS4 Pro into the garbage can. Good riddance

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If I have a 1080p TV and no next-gen system, is it worth buying an Xbox One X or a PS4 Pro just to play this game? Because fuuuuuck paying Microsoft another dime versus Sony just to play this game in its fully glory. :argh:

Looks fine on PS4, XB1 is quite bad tbh.
For new systems the situation is reversed, PS4Pro is just too weak for UHD :smith:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

HORMELCHILI posted:

Wow thank you for this great unbiased opinion forums user HORMELCHILI, I'm going out to buy an XBOX X ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM RIGHT NOW!!!!! GREAT!!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I will be playing on a white PS4 bought off SA Mart in 2014.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Xbox One X: It Just Plays Better

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobo Clown posted:

I can't remember... how is Arthur mentioned in RDR1? Was he said to have died? Never brought up? I'm wondering how far in advance Rockstar knew the next one would be a prequel and they needed to keep possible protagonists' stories a vague as they could.

I don’t think he’s ever once mentioned, but that’s not too surprising because basically no gang members are brought up by name except Bill, Javier, and Dutch. The whole rest of the gang has been dead or disappeared for years by 1911 and Marston is just forced to hunt down the last of them.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

god dammit why am i such a helpless and moronic piece of loving poo poo

i should have known the Microsoft XBOX One X would have VASTLY improved performance over the sony playstation snore

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i wonder if those comparison vids had supersampling turned on for the ps4 pro

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

weeping openly at my desk at work over framerates

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Aphex- posted:

From the IGN review:

:hmmyes:

Reminds me when people say they play female characters because "you're going to be looking at their butt anyway".

Uh, I don't stare at my characters rear end, I look at the environment and enemies, c'mon.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Response to some review / "what the gently caress is wrong with gamers" https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1055466624441114626

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Flayer posted:

Wow thank you for this great unbiased opinion forums user HORMELCHILI, I'm going out to buy an XBOX X ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM RIGHT NOW!!!!! GREAT!!

Awesome man now is certainly the time with red dead out at midnight, you want to be having the best gameplay experience possible which it seems the One X delivers

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MagusDraco posted:

Response to some review / "what the gently caress is wrong with gamers" https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1055466624441114626

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

rap music posted:

i wonder if those comparison vids had supersampling turned on for the ps4 pro

This was brought up in the Digital Foundry video. They think it's the checkerboard rendering that's mucking things up. Seems like it's not very well implemented since every other major game that uses it makes the image super sharp. Having played Horizon Zero Dawn on both a base and Pro, the image is incredibly sharp on the Pro.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MagusDraco posted:

This is from the Slant review. Go read the other comments if you want to be depressed

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/red-dead-redemption-2

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Starks posted:

So the consensus seems to be: great open world, bad story and writing, good gameplay

It’s a rockstar game alright

I said come in! posted:

Aphex- posted:

Yeah most of the reviews I've seen are saying it's a very good story, apparently a lot less cynical and more earnest than other rockstar games.

What I've seen of the writing from streams, reviews etc suggests a major improvement in character writing and small scale personal stuff.

And the same old oblivious Rockstar botch job on anything to do with race, gender and politics, exacerbated by focusing on the reconstruction era South.

Which is better than I was expecting honestly the cast being likeable and empathetic is a big step up from GTA5.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what the gently caress is slant magazine and why should i care

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

You shouldn't. You honestly shouldn't care about any game review. If you love the game then that is all that matters. Don't look to others to validate your opinions. Gamers fall into this trap way too often.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

A Sometimes Food posted:

What I've seen of the writing from streams, reviews etc suggests a major improvement in character writing and small scale personal stuff.

And the same old oblivious Rockstar botch job on anything to do with race, gender and politics, exacerbated by focusing on the reconstruction era South.

Which is better than I was expecting honestly the cast being likeable and empathetic is a big step up from GTA5.

It's really sad that that is a step up, but god drat GTA V was miserable. It didn't help me that I was going through a really tough time in my life and I couldn't deal with how incredibly horrible every single character was in single player V. (Except Lamar, he was solid)

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Reviews sound like the game is exactly what I want / expect, down to the still clunky RAGE movement. Pumped. The Kotaku stuff on foliage is nuts, check out them gifs.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

DoctorGonzo posted:

You shouldn't. It's a trash publication that is very into huffing their own farts, even by the standards of the profession.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Awww yeah you can ride up to a moving train on your horse, run along it's length to the engine, throw the engineer off and hijack the whole train. And your horse keeps running along.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Bardeh posted:

12AM in your territory.

Yeah, that I'm familiar with.

Everything unlocking when it unlocks in NZ is what I'd never seen before.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Calling it now: "The game opens completely after the main story is done" means you get to play as John Marston in the original Red Dead Redemption but in RDR2's engine

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I may have or otherwise have access to a physical copy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Calling it now: "The game opens completely after the main story is done" means you get to play as John Marston in the original Red Dead Redemption but in RDR2's engine

You'll almost definitely play as John, but you won't play RDR1. At most, it'll set you on the path to the intro mission of RDR1

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Did they add heists or robberies to this game?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Does the game feature the hit song "Cowboy Song" by the famous Irish rock group Thin Lizzy

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I hope this game lets me say whoa there charles dickens to some nerd

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I just trampled two wolves to death with my horse in the snow.

GOTY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Sometimes Food posted:

It’s post reconstruction by about 25 to 30 years. It’s more middle late gilded age plus I never expected rockstar to tackle or go after the racial issues in any big or meaningful way, this isn’t mafia 3.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Map and boxart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Sioux posted:

Honestly all four versions look pretty sweet!

Haha was that Game Mania in NL? I almost quit work for the day because of that text.

Game mania yeah, but in Belgium. Still haven't heard from them, so I guess I won't get it until tomorrow :sigh: