Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Microcline posted:

I don't have time for a big post but it's probably useful to think separately about games journalism, games reviews, and games criticism.

Related to this I hate the term "Games Writing" since you never know if it means writing for games or one of the three you mentioned, or just all of them mashed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Anyone who honestly bought that Simcity "needed" its online for anything other than EA bombarding you with micro-transactions is stupid enough that they must think there are dozens of Nigerian princes out to give them millions.

There were no microtransactions in SimCity. The online stuff was the peak of the integrated social features phase.

And what is always excluded about the offline mod is that the game would completely break down within an hour because it was built completely around cities connecting to eachother which the mod removes.

EA's patched in offline mode later added a lot of functionality to allow the game to work offline. The game still wasn't worth playing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The scummy thing was that SimCity 2013 sold well and had decent hype because of an hour demo. A lot of flaws like the tiny plot of land you get were brushed off as just being a limitation of the demo. Nope.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The idea of having forced multiplayer in a God-game of all things is just such a misreading of the genre. The whole point of these sorts of games is having your own sandbox where you are in complete control and can build the sort of city/planet/whatever that you feel like. I don't want to be Co-God with anybody! I just want to make my drat city and then explode it when I get bored.

Now if they'd made it a competitive city building game in the vein of Suburbia, that could have been something.

Thread Relevant Content: SUSD's review of Suburbia: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/hexagonal-tile-laying-game-fest-2013/

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The vague competitive/cooperative aspects of SimCity's multiplayer were pretty nice and getting some friends together to build a up a region of one-industry gimmick towns got a few hours of entertainment. Game as a whole is still bad, but I'd kill for a good city builder with that multiplayer.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Its October, and you Yanks seem to go absolutely nuts about Samhain, so here's some horror themed content. :drac:

Pops part two of his Halloween trilogy is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spfHEXoEDGk

First part if you missed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlNJuxc8BIc

And Cinema Nippon has been focusing on J-horror lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9OeOEnFyA

Audition |(my personal favourite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-sUbUpSSxY

Oh and this is from awhile back but its basically Japan's take on Hammer Horrors,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJkLZfC5YA

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Ross talks about Halloween games before the actual episode RIP intro

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap3FeJl8pk8

Mother's Basement laments the loss of English anime OPs with the rise of simulcasting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mother's Basement laments the loss of English anime OPs with the rise of simulcasting.

With a carrot nosed dog?!

It always weirds me out seeing real bands do intros. Like when I heard Baja Men doing the intro for Stanley on Disney.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 25, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jenny nicholson's video on the worst reality tv show ever is my favorite video of hers thus far and now she has a new video in a similar vein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

have not watched it yet but it prolly rules

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

jenny nicholson's video on the worst reality tv show ever is my favorite video of hers thus far and now she has a new video in a similar vein

gently caress, I hope I have a chance to watch it soon, just the first frame or two make it an instant classic:

:allears:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

There were no microtransactions in SimCity. The online stuff was the peak of the integrated social features phase.

And what is always excluded about the offline mod is that the game would completely break down within an hour because it was built completely around cities connecting to eachother which the mod removes.

EA's patched in offline mode later added a lot of functionality to allow the game to work offline. The game still wasn't worth playing.
Really I thought you had to pay for additional city space? My bad, must have got it mixed up with Diablo 3's real money auction house stuff.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

gently caress, I hope I have a chance to watch it soon, just the first frame or two make it an instant classic:

:allears:

Unrelated, Jenny has another playboy article, this one about princess hot takes by celebrities which I guess is a thing.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

good video but im mad he only covered one of the chapters in lakeview cabin collection :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's really not a dub anime thing though, it's a "what can we buy and repackage to show kids every afternoon and sell toys with" thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

It rules hard. My favourite bit was spotting the ghost.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's really not a dub anime thing though, it's a "what can we buy and repackage to show kids every afternoon and sell toys with" thing.

i mean, that is, to an extent, what anime dubbing is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Not really. The majority are just straight translations of the original show, save for more fuckin' swearing in the early 90's dubs. Some changes do get made, but its generally in service of the original material (eg; a joke or character trait that just doesn't translate directly) rather than something arbitrary. Shows like Ghost Stories and Samurai Pizza Cata being very rare outliers.

The shows like Yu-Gi-Oh / Pokemon / Digimon/etc, which are the topic at hand, get stripped down and reworked extensively to suit the localization's ends. They get a whole lotta extra lines about the importance of friendship, with as few mentions about bad things like death or dismemberment as possible, and can even lose entire episodes just because they can't be reworked to fit the new intended audience bracket of 5-12. And then they roll out the licensed toys, videogames, and cards.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 26, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. The majority are just straight translations of the original show, save for more fuckin' swearing in the early 90's dubs. Some changes do get made, but its generally in service of the original material (eg; a joke or character trait that just doesn't translate directly) rather than something arbitrary. Shows like Ghost Stories and Samurai Pizza Cata being very rare outliers.

The shows like Yu-Gi-Oh / Pokemon / Digimon/etc, which are the topic at hand, get stripped down and reworked extensively to suit the localization's ends. They get a whole lotta extra lines about the importance of friendship, with as few mentions about bad things like death or dismemberment as possible, and can even lose entire episodes just because they can't be reworked to fit the new intended audience bracket of 5-12. And then they roll out the licensed toys, videogames, and cards.

Do you think that yugioh and pokemon aren't heavily toyified in japan

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Do you think that yugioh and pokemon aren't heavily toyified in japan

No, I just don't see it as the same as dubbing something like Cowboy Bebop. Especially when it includes some stuff that's aimed squarely at the teen bracket like the original dubs of DBZ, One Piece and half of Raxephon.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 26, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, I just don't see it as the same as dubbing something like Cowboy Bebop. Especially when it includes some stuff that's aimed squarely at the teen bracket like the original dubs of DBZ, One Piece and half of Raxephon.

Then how do you feel about stuff like Funimation's theme dubs they occasionally still do?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Then how do you feel about stuff like Funimation's theme dubs they occasionally still do?

Can you give an example? Because I honestly haven't ever seen them do one.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They dubbed the OPs for about the first 300 or so one piece episodes and they continue to do dubs for dragonball themes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

They dubbed the OPs for about the first 300 or so one piece episodes and they continue to do dubs for dragonball themes

Honestly that's probably more tradition than anything at this point :shrug:. I figured you meant like new simulcasts and general releases.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCHIy1RcEU

Dubbed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtOP721n0s

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly that's probably more tradition than anything at this point :shrug:. I figured you meant like new simulcasts and general releases.

I mean, Dragon Ball Super is this year at least

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

I mean, Dragon Ball Super is this year at least

Yes, but that doesn't mean twenty-odd years of DBZ and its outrageously-massive popularity suddenly doesn't exist. Most (if not all) of the people working on dubbing DBS probably grew up watching DBZ.

Also Dragon Ball (and to a lesser extent, One Piece) at-large has just eclipsed the anime fanbase in the west and been pretty drat mainstream for a large chunk of its life, so it's not exactly comparable to anything else at this point and just inhabits its own microcosm. You can't really compare the shows built on 20 years of devout fandom to say, Cells at Work.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 26, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I love how they had the home inspection guy who explained away the ghosts BEFORE the "psychic" had to prove they existed.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, but that doesn't mean twenty-odd years of DBZ and its outrageously-massive popularity suddenly doesn't exist. Most (if not all) of the people working on dubbing DBS probably grew up watching DBZ.

I still dont get what your point is tbh.

they dont dub OPs because there's usually no financial incentive to do so

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Apparently Funimation (or just their in house musicians) still do dub versions of the OnePiece openings, they just don’t put them on the shows. You can watch them on YouTube.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

I still dont get what your point is tbh.

they dont dub OPs because there's usually no financial incentive to do so

They don't do it because all it'd do is piss off most of their customer base for no actual benefit. Anime hasn't been mainstream since a brief glimpse in the early/mid-00's, and most people want the original music.

My whole point has been these specific shows got dubbed OP's, and a whole lot of reworked music besides, because 4Kids and the like smelled blood in the water and got them rebuilt extensively as kids shows solely to sell merchandise. Those shows didn't just get new music, they had a whole package of work done to remove mature content (look out, they're aggressively pointing at people! "It's fine, I see the parachutes of the people in that exploding helicopter!"), and just aggressively edited or cut out a whole lot of content that couldn't be made to fit with their cheap simple messages of friendship and the heart of the cards. It's simply nowhere near the same as asking "why doesn't [Current Show] have it's OP dubbed?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You haven't watched anime on children's programming blocks in a long time, have you? They still do English OPs the few times I've poked my head onto YTV channel in Canada. Mainstream television broadcasting for anime is still predominantly aimed at children and teens, "pissing off the fans" be damned.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 26, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

You haven't watched anime on children's programming blocks in a long time, have you? They still do English OPs the few times I've poked my head onto YTV channel in Canada. Mainstream television broadcasting for anime is still predominantly aimed at children and teens, "pissing off the fans" be damned.

Because they're target at kids and they want mass-market appeal, which is the exact point I've been making. The other shows I'm talking about are things like Overlord, Attack on Titan and Cells at Work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's the point he's making in the video did you actually watch it? He's not going "why don't they make English OPs anymore!" he's specifically looking at the late 90s-mid 2000s boom where everything was getting localized and retooled for a North American market. And most of the shows broadcast back then we're children's shows and the occasional teen show. He doesn't say anything about "the fans" getting pissed off about channels not appealing to purists, he's looking at what English OPs did well and where they faltered.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that's the point he's making in the video did you actually watch it? He's not going "why don't they make English OPs anymore!" he's specifically looking at the late 90s-mid 2000s boom where everything was getting localized and retooled for a North American market. And most of the shows broadcast back then we're children's shows and the occasional teen show. He doesn't say anything about "the fans" getting pissed off about channels not appealing to purists, he's looking at what English OPs did well and where they faltered.

Yeah, and then Jekyll and Hyde took it on a weird tangent about how that somehow was all of anime dubbing with this;

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Which is what I refuted.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My argument was that anime dubs are effectively a method of marketing a show to make it more appealing to a particular market. This doesn't deny any artistic merit to the act of dubbing, but that is the reason it's done, and OP dubbing can be an aspect of that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Since The Great American Read comes up here occasionally, I can say with confidence that I’m glad To Kill A Mockingbird won. Or actually I’m just glad loving Great Gatsby lost. gently caress the Great Gatsby.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE OF GUMGUM

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I was gonna add like the anthropology article that was on how the European Portuguese DBZ was itself a cultural artifact (Which was a redub of the French one, but super Portuguese and more comedic) but turns out one of the Team Fourstar people did a video on it???

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Augus posted:

YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE OF GUMGUM

this is the only good post in this thread