Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Rockstar is quite rightly afraid of the millennial pc trend because they've spend an inordinate amount of money producing their games and it would be a shame for a dog pile to occur over something so stupid as political correctness. We're talking about thousands of people's jobs. They've spoken fairly openly about it. I wouldn't see a lot to be gained from an extended Wolfenstein 2-style KKK massacre sequence.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/red-dead-redemption-2-interview

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-6-would-be-tricky-to-make-in-todays-political-/1100-6462752/

White males with serious toxic masculinity issues are sadly still the loudest voice in the game industry. I badly want to see more representation in gaming, and I enjoy modern day social commentary in my games, but developers are rightly afraid to touch that stuff because the push back is furious and relentless. Whenever a game does attempt this, they are there to scream about how games should only have a white straight male point of view and nothing else. And their voices completely drown out anything else out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Plays Best on Xbox One X

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

White males with serious toxic masculinity issues are sadly still the loudest voice in the game industry world

ftfy

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Plays Best on Xbox One X

Plays best on a console nobody owns. :smug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

True, it was just easier to tackle this one small section of the world.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

I said come in! posted:

White males with serious toxic masculinity issues are sadly still the loudest voice in the game industry. I badly want to see more representation in gaming, and I enjoy modern day social commentary in my games, but developers are rightly afraid to touch that stuff because the push back is furious and relentless. Whenever a game does attempt this, they are there to scream about how games should only have a white straight male point of view and nothing else. And their voices completely drown out anything else out there.

Um. Waht planet is this coming from

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Do you not pay attention at all to social media?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

Its probably a copy paste from ResetERA. Just ignore him he's a troll.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone mentioned trying to run the companion app on a pc, Imma try that and report back whenever the android app is out (midnight?) and report back. My laptop screen is a lot nicer than my phone's

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

Rockstar is quite rightly afraid of the millennial pc trend because they've spend an inordinate amount of money producing their games and it would be a shame for a dog pile to occur over something so stupid as political correctness. We're talking about thousands of people's jobs. They've spoken fairly openly about it. I wouldn't see a lot to be gained from an extended Wolfenstein 2-style KKK massacre sequence.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/red-dead-redemption-2-interview

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-6-would-be-tricky-to-make-in-todays-political-/1100-6462752/

That's just chicken poo poo centrist stances right there. Hausers put up a veneer of "we're make fun of EVERYONE" but more often than not they punch down. Trump's America makes it harder to punch down because they marginalized groups have no or little representation and many are on the brink of losing protections that give them the rights to exist. So they'd have to, goodness forbid, start punching up at worthless Republicans who hate everyone not white, rich and male, neo-nazi nationalists, corporate scumbags and other parasites bleeding society by influencing policy to take more and more from those who barely have enough.

They're simply far-right drifters who passively enable the horrible poo poo going on without challenging it with argument or humor. And no, those strawmen tumblr ULTRA PC POLICE aren't the same as white nationalists marching in the street chanting nazi rhetoric, advocating violence against minorities and beating up/murdering counter-protestors.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s post reconstruction by about 25 to 30 years. It’s more middle late gilded age plus I never expected rockstar to tackle or go after the racial issues in any big or meaningful way, this isn’t mafia 3.

Right, Australian so my knowledge of US history can be fuzzy on the details. My point I guess was more they decided to wade into situations involving plantations and poo poo so it's fair to give them poo poo for loving it up. Like yeah I'm not expecting them to deal with racial issues, but they kinda chose to anyway and didn't do it great by reports.

Shoehead posted:

It's really sad that that is a step up, but god drat GTA V was miserable. It didn't help me that I was going through a really tough time in my life and I couldn't deal with how incredibly horrible every single character was in single player V. (Except Lamar, he was solid)

Hentai Jihadist posted:

hey! another lamar fan, yeah he was legit the only good character in that whole game. Man GTAV was terrible with its characters.

Hour 1: Three grown men endlessly bitching and crying at eachother

Hour 100: Three grown men endlessly bitching and crying at eachother

Someone up thread asked who wouldn't do the death wish ending. Me. Cause after that game I just needed one of those fuckers to die (Michael BTW Trevor at least had his moments).

Protagonists don't need to be good people, but if you want me to play as them for that loving long they better be likeable. Protagonists you hate only really work in short games where you don't burn out. Like Silent Hill 2.

Also yeah Lamar was like the only consistently good bit of that game's writing.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my biggest issue with 5 and to a greater extent 4 and even red dead 1 was that everyone talked like they written were by rod serling if he were alot more cynical. everyone can make deep insitful long winded remarks about society, humanity, etc in long passionate way. and it got old and weird fast. and i have a soft spot for that kinda poo poo.

Rod Serlings generous. I'd say it's South Park with the saving grace that the Rockstar doesn't run a creepy rear end libertarian bent.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

Hell yeah bro but how do you feel about the shrinking horse balls

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I said come in! posted:

does it actually have any effect though? They're certainly the loudest, especially on Steam which has become some kind of deeply infested cesspit thanks to Valve's terrible libertarian management style.
You mentioned total war earlier and its really noticeable that Total War Centre forums are now considerably better than Steam's own community when it comes to bigotry and fascism which used to go hand in hand with map-game communities. That suggests to me the only communities those voices are really strong are in niche ones without moderation.

Is there any evidence it actually translates to boycotts and lost sales though?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
GTA 6 is almost certainly being worked on in secret, it will come out well into next console cycle, clickbait writers will hem and haw, and it’ll sell more than GTA 5 anyway because nobody outside of the very online crowd cares about sensitivity in rockstar titles.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if my camp gets hungry hopefully I can lasso up a desperado and drag him to camp so my gang can eat him

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Over There posted:

Hell yeah bro but how do you feel about the shrinking horse balls

horse balls are amazing, even more so when shrinking.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

To be fair, i'm not sure. It's really hard to tell without more data directly from publishers, who are never willing to release that kind of information nowadays.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

bloodysabbath posted:

GTA 6 is almost certainly being worked on in secret, it will come out well into next console cycle, clickbait writers will hem and haw, and it’ll sell more than GTA 5 anyway because nobody outside of the very online crowd cares about sensitivity in rockstar titles.

I heard the new Bully game is what they're working on but I can't remember where.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I guess what im getting at is that if anything those kinds of "scandals" seem to push sales of games, not result in lost sales.

So rockstar's stance just seems apathetic at best or reactionary at worst. Kinda like when blizz had their own minor scandal where it was pointed out all their female characters were basically stripper wives or sexy monsters and they said "we dont think about that, we don't want to be political" before getting a crash course in "that's a loving political stance, you morons,"

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Jimbot posted:

That's just chicken poo poo centrist stances right there. Hausers put up a veneer of "we're make fun of EVERYONE" but more often than not they punch down. Trump's America makes it harder to punch down because they marginalized groups have no or little representation and many are on the brink of losing protections that give them the rights to exist. So they'd have to, goodness forbid, start punching up at worthless Republicans who hate everyone not white, rich and male, neo-nazi nationalists, corporate scumbags and other parasites bleeding society by influencing policy to take more and more from those who barely have enough.

They're simply far-right drifters who passively enable the horrible poo poo going on without challenging it with argument or humor. And no, those strawmen tumblr ULTRA PC POLICE aren't the same as white nationalists marching in the street chanting nazi rhetoric, advocating violence against minorities and beating up/murdering counter-protestors.

This is a great resetera copy paste, link to the thread please?

Seriously though, GTA has taken the piss out of everyone. The game you’re describing is the Postal series. Rookie mistake.

E: New Bully would be goddamn ace.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Steve Earle
Townes Van Zandt
Colter Wall (a bit Canadian but fits)
Jim Beam Vanilla ad
Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings

I’ve got my YouTube playlist going strong. I’m getting all my tears out before the game launches so as to have clear eyes when my horse walks in front of the train again and again.

Me irl right now

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well there are reactionaries already making GBS threads their pants over 3.5/5 reviews, so gamer's gonna cry.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Shoehead posted:

Someone mentioned trying to run the companion app on a pc, Imma try that and report back whenever the android app is out (midnight?) and report back. My laptop screen is a lot nicer than my phone's

Much appreciated Muchacho

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Right, Australian so my knowledge of US history can be fuzzy on the details. My point I guess was more they decided to wade into situations involving plantations and poo poo so it's fair to give them poo poo for loving it up. Like yeah I'm not expecting them to deal with racial issues, but they kinda chose to anyway and didn't do it great by reports.

Someone up thread asked who wouldn't do the death wish ending. Me. Cause after that game I just needed one of those fuckers to die (Michael BTW Trevor at least had his moments).

Protagonists don't need to be good people, but if you want me to play as them for that loving long they better be likeable. Protagonists you hate only really work in short games where you don't burn out. Like Silent Hill 2.

Also yeah Lamar was like the only consistently good bit of that game's writing.

Rod Serlings generous. I'd say it's South Park with the saving grace that the Rockstar doesn't run a creepy rear end libertarian bent.

i mean the style more then the content. it apes him loving hard. but it never captures the raw spirit and honest harshness/spirited meaness. The Masks captures how that poo poo is done right. i mean plantations existed and still do but then it was just under payed workers/tenant farmers(who were usually ex slaves).

Hentai Jihadist posted:

does it actually have any effect though? They're certainly the loudest, especially on Steam which has become some kind of deeply infested cesspit thanks to Valve's terrible libertarian management style.
You mentioned total war earlier and its really noticeable that Total War Centre forums are now considerably better than Steam's own community when it comes to bigotry and fascism which used to go hand in hand with map-game communities. That suggests to me the only communities those voices are really strong are in niche ones without moderation.

no. most of the loud chud types won't buy the game anyway, much like their ideological opposite/betters, the angry resetera john mcintosh type liberal type, they are just a overly vocal widely numerically inflated minority they will shout and scream about how they will boycott and poo poo and then they will go onto hating something else.

Jimbot posted:

they punch republicans a loving ton in the GTA games, its just they are also really easy targets. also this isn't resetera.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Well there are reactionaries already making GBS threads their pants over 3.5/5 reviews, so gamer's gonna cry.

the review wasn't even bad though. like i don't fully agree with it but it wasn't that wrong.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

what the hell is resetera?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Do you not pay attention at all to social media?

No

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I guess what im getting at is that if anything those kinds of "scandals" seem to push sales of games, not result in lost sales.

So rockstar's stance just seems apathetic at best or reactionary at worst. Kinda like when blizz had their own minor scandal where it was pointed out all their female characters were basically stripper wives or sexy monsters and they said "we dont think about that, we don't want to be political" before getting a crash course in "that's a loving political stance, you morons,"

they definitely have a libertarian slant and i can kinda understand it, i mean they were the big target during the early 2000s when the libs and the conservatives teamed up to bitch about morality and poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the review wasn't even bad though. like i don't fully agree with it but it wasn't that wrong.

The people complaining only paid attention to the review score.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Comparison report for Ataria 2600 and Commadore 64 plz The world must know!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

canepazzo posted:

It was Saints Row: The Third's biggest (only) failure where you had to choose whether to fight the big bad or save your homie at the end.

Oh poo poo, I had forgotten all about that. Because who wouldn't save their homie?

The really tough choice in that game was choosing to have either a bus full of zombies or Burt loving Reynolds as a summonable sidekick. I always rolled with the zombies, but not having Burt loving Reynolds available as well was a hole in my soul.

Starks posted:

So the consensus seems to be: great open world, bad story and writing, good gameplay

It’s a rockstar game alright

I watched a couple of hours of an early sneaky livestream. The gunfights looked like RDR, which is the only good open world shooting Rockstar's ever had, so I'm happy. The characters... eh, a couple of OTT accents aside, every single one of them sounded the same, couldn't tell who was speaking half the time they were so interchangeable. They all still talk in that overly stilted and wordy manner, and are the same handful of Rockstar stock characters. Morgan seems way less interesting or personable than Marsten though, which is a worry as Marsten was one of the few decently interesting people in RDR, and even then wasted on a story where 95% of the actual good stuff happened offscreen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

what the hell is resetera?

its a the bastard child of Neogaf when popped out when it died. basically they are super liberal/progressive internet types who get angry and poo poo quick, outside of that, its an alright site.

I said come in! posted:

The people complaining only paid attention to the review score.

people are morons. i mean the polygon review said the same stuff but liked some of how the game handled some of the stuff. its opinions and it depends on the authors like i am sure waypoint will be negative if its austin "why didn't they call me a racial slur in the video game" walker" or patrick "i change my opinion if resetera or my friends tell me to" kleppec because i know what they like and hate. same with other shits

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 25, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

bloodysabbath posted:

This is a great resetera copy paste, link to the thread please?

Seriously though, GTA has taken the piss out of everyone. The game you’re describing is the Postal series. Rookie mistake.

E: New Bully would be goddamn ace.

Rockstar games are absolutely terrible about a lot of things like female characters; I think there's literally one named female in GTAV that isn't a crazy screaming harpy, nagging bitch or a stripper, and the two that are in RDR1 are both hopelessly in love with some guy that doesn't like them back and have to be rescued over and over again. Like, I know you could say they parody everyone but usually there's at least a few calm, cool collected male characters who are just your generally likable badass protagonist or straight-man.

It's not enough to hinder my enjoyment but I could see a lady playing it roll her eyes as we're introduced to 'screaming unlikable bitch #4'. That could also not be the case in RDR2 as the reviews suggest it's a bit more thoughtful and expansive than its predecessors but we'll see :shrug:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they punch republicans a loving ton in the GTA games, its just they are also really easy targets. also this isn't resetera.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a the bastard child of Neogaf when popped out when it died. basically they are super liberal/progressive internet types who get angry and poo poo quick, outside of that, its an alright site.

Goodness forbid people point out problematic and outright bad things in a game or attitude the lead writers/owners of a video game company have. Must be pretty swell having the privilege to be apathetic towards these sort of things.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jimbot posted:

Goodness forbid people point out problematic and outright bad things in a game or attitude the lead writers/owners of a video game company have. Must be pretty swell having the privilege to be apathetic towards these sort of things.

It is pretty loving awesome.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah it kicks rear end.

Hows the regular xbone version?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah it kicks rear end.

Mid 20fps gameplay that is pretty blurry.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

DogonCrook posted:

Sub 900p and the worst performance of the four versions, but apparently outside the bigger towns it still holds 30fps pretty steadily. It does look strikingly worse than all the other versions, but if that's the only console you have then it's still apparently perfectly playable and enjoyable.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the Kotaku review is a work of art

Kotaku posted:

“It is defiantly slow-paced, exuberantly unfun, and wholly unconcerned with catering to the needs or wants of its players. It is also captivating, poignant, and at times shockingly entertaining. It moves with the clumsy heaviness of a 19th century locomotive, but like that locomotive becomes unstoppable once it builds up a head of steam. Whether intentionally or not, its tale of failure and doom reflects the tribulations of its own creation, as a charismatic and self-deluded leader tries ever more desperately to convince his underlings to follow him off a cliff.”

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Rockstar games are absolutely terrible about a lot of things like female characters; I think there's literally one named female in GTAV that isn't a crazy screaming harpy, nagging bitch or a stripper, and the two that are in RDR1 are both hopelessly in love with some guy that doesn't like them back and have to be rescued over and over again. Like, I know you could say they parody everyone but usually there's at least a few calm, cool collected male characters who are just your generally likable badass protagonist or straight-man.

It's not enough to hinder my enjoyment but I could see a lady playing it roll her eyes as we're introduced to 'screaming unlikable bitch #4'. That could also not be the case in RDR2 as the reviews suggest it's a bit more thoughtful and expansive than its predecessors but we'll see :shrug:

yeah, it seems they have done a much better job with Red dead 2 this time around, least from what i heard and hope for.

Jimbot posted:

oh gently caress off. don't bitch to me about apathy because a i dont cares about Houser's bullshit writings because he makes some lovely jokes in a video game in the real world while the current crop of GOP ghouls actually gently caress over minorities of every stripe and some loving MAGAChud is trying to be Ted Kaczynski and the president blames everyone but himself. thats the real scary poo poo. not some lovely cynical writings by a liberterian clown in a crime game.