Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Despite having a 4k tv that I've never fully utilized, I think I'll be pretty happy with my base PS4. My gtx 970 is still no slouch but given that gta5 is still the most graphically demanding thing I use it for (Hellblade looked great but I wasn't very into it), I was very impressed with Uncharted 4.5 and Spiderman on my PS4. No point in buying a new console of the same generation this far into the generation for me. Nnnnnnnh, 9 o'clock can't come soon enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I said come in! posted:

That game was a lot of fun and I loved the protag.

Mafia 3 also has one of the best narrative framing devices I’ve seen in a game in a long time. The actual game itself is janky in parts, but the story and characters more than make up for it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The kotaku video is great!

When did kotaku become...good?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fart City posted:

Mafia 3 also has one of the best narrative framing devices I’ve seen in a game in a long time. The actual game itself is janky in parts, but the story and characters more than make up for it.

Mafia 3 is loving amazing and everyone should play it. Sucks about the pacing though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Bardeh posted:

Sub 900p and the worst performance of the four versions, but apparently outside the bigger towns it still holds 30fps pretty steadily. It does look strikingly worse than all the other versions, but if that's the only console you have then it's still apparently perfectly playable and enjoyable.

Actually, they said it looks the worse but is actually a bit more stable framerate wise than the PS4. Shocker, I know.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh gently caress off. don't bitch to me about apathy because a i dont cares about Houser's bullshit writings because he makes some lovely jokes in a video game in the real world while the current crop of GOP ghouls actually gently caress over minorities of every stripe and some loving MAGAChud is trying to be Ted Kaczynski and the president blames everyone but himself. thats the real scary poo poo. not some lovely cynical writings by a liberterian clown in a crime game.

You were outright dismissing criticisms from people who take these things seriously as being the very thing right-wing chuds online complain about (ultra PC police, ect.). Art does not exist in a vacuum and it can normalize bad behavior. Calling something problematic isn't the same as calling it bad or the people liking it bad.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I don’t know exactly what it means for game to not want you to master it but I’m excited at the prospect of playing an open world game that isn’t a collection of incredibly obvious systems. Basically I want the opposite of AC odyssey.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I just wanted to walk around as a kind gentleman in the idyllic west where there was no pain or prejudice and y'all had to go and bring modern political opinions into it, loving with my immersion come on

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Reporting in from xbox one s on 4k tv, I'm no videophile or nothin but it plays great and I'm great. Unfortunately this game is very misogynistic so stay away.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Jimbot posted:

You were outright dismissing criticisms from people who take these things seriously as being the very thing right-wing chuds online complain about (ultra PC police, ect.). Art does not exist in a vacuum and it can normalize bad behavior. Calling something problematic isn't the same as calling it bad or the people liking it bad.

It aint sunday i dont know why you think you we gathered here to hear you preach but get your head out of your rear end and find somewhere else to do this poo poo.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Nolgthorn posted:

Reporting in from xbox one s on 4k tv, I'm no videophile or nothin but it plays great and I'm great. Unfortunately this game is very misogynistic so stay away.

Thank you for your cervix! Good to know.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

DogonCrook posted:

It aint sunday i dont know why you think you we gathered here to hear you preach but get your head out of your rear end and find somewhere else to do this poo poo.

he's talking about the game and criticisms of it, snowflake. need a safe space? gently caress work I'm calling in tomorrow to play this I'm gonna rob a train

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Maybe you should give people more credit to be able to think critically for themselves.

Welp, back to shooting horses in the head for fun irl

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Communist Bear posted:

It's just this review. And the investigative report into Rockstar the other day. These are the only good things on Kotaku. But seriously that review is probably the best gaming review I've ever read, and it goes into the human cost of creating a game like this, which is a conversation people do need to start having if you consider games an art form.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I would like to put art in a vacuum personally

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Jimbot posted:

Art does not exist in a vacuum and it can normalize bad behavior.

Jack Thompson parachute account spotted. In 2018 the man would have a popular Patreon that he’d parlay into a staff position at Kotaku or Polygon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Ok. No poo poo critical theory is good and moron chuds are gonna bitch about any kind of criticism. I don’t count their opinions ever. but some of those critics as well as you to an extent come off as pretty patronizing.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
please post more funny gameplay clips instead whatever this poo poo is

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Cultural Marxist posted:

Yeah, I love it. As shonky as the game might be over all it’s deeply satisfying murdering a bunch of racis fucks in not-New Orleans.

Mafia 3 kicked rear end, even if it did get repetitive at times.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Zutaten posted:

It's just this review. And the investigative report into Rockstar the other day. These are the only good things on Kotaku. But seriously that review is probably the best gaming review I've ever read, and it goes into the human cost of creating a game like this, which is a conversation people do need to start having if you consider games an art form.

I like it when the person who gets the game for free tells me if and why it is worth the better part of a $100 bill instead of jerking himself off using the English language as lubricant, but that’s me, I work for a living.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That review makes a lot of paragraph long propositions that end with "we'll never know"

I give the review 2/7

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Kotaku has been pretty good for a while now. Jason s Grier is great in general too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ihatepants posted:

I greatly enjoyed Tim Rogers' "Not a Review" of this game. Has spoilers, but I love his videos.

Pro click. The thing that happens at about 19:30 just about killed me

If you want to skip all of the intro mission stuff because he does lightly spoil some of that start at like 18:50

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 25, 2018

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

bloodysabbath posted:

I like it when the person who gets the game for free tells me if and why it is worth the better part of a $100 bill instead of jerking himself off using the English language as lubricant, but that’s me, I work for a living.

I mean I don't begrudge you wanting an "is this worth what could be an entire day's pay depending on my job" review. Nothing wrong with that. That's fine. I just like the more academic ones that I've been seeing become the norm these days. Hell, some sites don't even give numbers anymore.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Donovan Trip posted:

That review makes a lot of paragraph long propositions that end with "we'll never know"

I give the review 2/7

This mouth breathing moron just memed himself on the internet for the next couple of years. I hope you realize the shitstorm that's about to come your way for the next year of your life

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is Kotaku's Tim Rogers the same Tim Rogers who wrote that incredibly long essay years ago about Metal Gear Solid 2 being the first post-modern videogame?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Is Kotaku's Tim Rogers the same Tim Rogers who wrote that incredibly long essay years ago about Metal Gear Solid 2 being the first post-modern videogame?

Yes. He hasn't changed in years. His Dragon Quest 11 review was literally 20 pages long.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This game is loving gorgeous.

I am super impressed, just walking around the first town looking at mud and buildings, I really loving want the deadwood movie to come out asap now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

These threads turn into hot garbage between the reviews coming out and the game coming out. Gamergate dudes should gently caress off and everyone else should post more gifs of falling horses.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Plays best on my Xbox One X

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Well he is right about that.

drunkill posted:

This game is loving gorgeous.

I am super impressed, just walking around the first town looking at mud and buildings, I really loving want the deadwood movie to come out asap now.

The whole snow intro looks like hateful 8.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Horse balls shrink in cold weather. Can’t wait for this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ihatepants posted:

I greatly enjoyed Tim Rogers' "Not a Review" of this game. Has spoilers, but I love his videos.

"Dutch: I haven't slept in 3 days.
Tim Rogers: WOW, does Dutch work for Rockstar Games?"

Also watch his 30 minute recap of the original RDR if you have the time.

Tim Rogers is a treasure

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

is that 30 minute recap the one with the dude doing the horrible accent? because I couldn’t bear 5 minutes of that

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Gumball Gumption posted:

These threads turn into hot garbage between the reviews coming out and the game coming out. [redacted] dudes should gently caress off and everyone else should post more gifs of falling horses.

“Everything should be run through a minimum four step filter cold-pressed process lens of comprehensive criticism review except for the review itself. Only chuds would dare speak ill of the review.”

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 25, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I have all 4 consoles and am playing all 4 versions simultaneously and can confirm the horse sweat looks a WAY BETTER on the XBox

PS4 players just put your copy in the garbage already

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

“Everything should be run through a minimum four step filter process lens of comprehensive criticism review except for the review itself. Only chuds would dare speak ill of the review.”

There are dozens of reviews out there of all kinds of flavors - from buyer guide list of features and criticisms of them to more academic ones. What are you even complaining about? Just look them up and find one that suits you best.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Hobo Clown posted:

I have all 4 consoles and am playing all 4 versions simultaneously and can confirm the horse sweat looks a WAY BETTER on the XBox

PS4 players just put your copy in the garbage already

Oh god :qq: what have I done

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they definitely have a libertarian slant and i can kinda understand it, i mean they were the big target during the early 2000s when the libs and the conservatives teamed up to bitch about morality and poo poo.

its really weird, their office is literally 10 mins away from me in edinburgh, my girlfriends dad taught one of the original dudes and has a credit in GTA1 or 2.
but they have a very un-scottish outlook on things lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So preloaded copies open at 12 eastern right?