Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

its really weird, their office is literally 10 mins away from me in edinburgh, my girlfriends dad taught one of the original dudes and has a credit in GTA1 or 2.
but they have a very un-scottish outlook on things lol

They lived in New York for a decade or two I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
First the XBOX ONE X knocks it out of the park with GOTY State of Decay 2 and now a slightly better framerate or something on RDR2. Microsoft is back baby awhooo

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Holy gently caress rdr2 has a 97 based on 86 critic reviews :monocle:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wolfsheim posted:

Rockstar games are absolutely terrible about a lot of things like female characters; I think there's literally one named female in GTAV that isn't a crazy screaming harpy, nagging bitch or a stripper, and the two that are in RDR1 are both hopelessly in love with some guy that doesn't like them back and have to be rescued over and over again. Like, I know you could say they parody everyone but usually there's at least a few calm, cool collected male characters who are just your generally likable badass protagonist or straight-man.

It's not enough to hinder my enjoyment but I could see a lady playing it roll her eyes as we're introduced to 'screaming unlikable bitch #4'. That could also not be the case in RDR2 as the reviews suggest it's a bit more thoughtful and expansive than its predecessors but we'll see :shrug:

I really didn't like Franklin because of how the game treated his aunt, who was just kinda like "lol what a bitch amirite?" when... she really wasnt, made it seem like thats just how franklin saw her which made him a huge rear end in a top hat imo

from what i remember the wife in RDR1 is actually the only good character in the game (might be misremebering from her stuff in the zombie dlc) so its not like they can't write decent women.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’ve pretty much avoided Red Dead spoilers completely. Has there been any indication how connected to to Red Dead Redemption the game is? I know it’s a prequel and you’re with Dutch’s gang for a bit of it, but do you spend the whole time with his gang? Is it like super intertwined with the previous game?

I hate prequels with a burning passion so I hope the story is separate enough to sell me on the game.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

bloodysabbath posted:

“Everything should be run through a minimum four step filter cold-pressed process lens of comprehensive criticism review except for the review itself. Only chuds would dare speak ill of the review.”

Your starting to sound like an undecided voter, buy the game or dont. Its a rockstar game and a sequel what more do you need to know. Im sorry that your brain is broke and are really concerned about what people are writing but please shut up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

personally im :justpost:ing until the game unlocks

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve pretty much avoided Red Dead spoilers completely. Has there been any indication how connected to to Red Dead Redemption the game is? I know it’s a prequel and you’re with Dutch’s gang for a bit of it, but do you spend the whole time with his gang? Is it like super intertwined with the previous game?

I hate prequels with a burning passion so I hope the story is separate enough to sell me on the game.

Seems like you spend the entire game with the gang. John Marston, protagonist of the first game, is even there and you and interact with him.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well he is right about that.

Yeah, it was a great essay. Long-winded like any of his stuff and ever-so-slightly hifalutin, but well written and thought-provoking. He also basically single-handedly ushered in the New Games Journalism thing.

I guess I'm just surprised that a) he's still in the games review business, and b) I still remember his writing from like 20 years ago.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jimbot posted:

Seems like you spend the entire game with the gang. John Marston, protagonist of the first game, is even there and you and interact with him.

I wonder if they explain away why the protag of this game isn’t in the previous game. If it is another “lol he dies at the end” then that is lame as poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I really didn't like Franklin because of how the game treated his aunt, who was just kinda like "lol what a bitch amirite?" when... she really wasnt, made it seem like thats just how franklin saw her which made him a huge rear end in a top hat imo

from what i remember the wife in RDR1 is actually the only good character in the game (might be misremebering from her stuff in the zombie dlc) so its not like they can't write decent women.

Yeah, she was kinda of an rear end in a top hat but she wasn’t a bad person. Franklin was just a shithead who stalked an old crush and got mad that she wanted to marry someone who wasn’t a monster. Trevor and Lamar are the only good ones because at least they are honest with themselves and loyal to friends.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if they explain away why the protag of this game isn’t in the previous game. If it is another “lol he dies at the end” then that is lame as poo poo.

There's word of multiple endings out there. Maybe it changes the size of the piano that gets dropped onto Arthur during the final mission.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I think the only members that get mentioned in the first game are Dutch, Bill Williamson and Javier Escuella. So there was a lot they could work with.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The game starts in a cold climate so actually the horse balls get bigger instead of shrinking if you think about it.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Nolgthorn posted:

The game starts in a cold climate so actually the horse balls get bigger instead of shrinking if you think about it.

I do think about it and you are correct

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Early game spoiler, there's a clear shout out to the PC crowd: horses balls get bigger and smaller depending on the weather

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

There's word of multiple endings out there. Maybe it changes the size of the piano that gets dropped onto Arthur during the final mission.

Prequels are loving lame.

Always.

No exceptions.

Anything that is a prequel would be better if it wasn’t a prequel.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mordiceius posted:

Always.

No exceptions.

This isn’t a prequel, it’s just they didn’t have the ... technology to make.. oh god is this Star Wars Ep 1-3!?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
....Godfather 2? Kind of.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Bonnie MacFarlane, the rancher who helps you out early in the game, was very likeable.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Always.

No exceptions.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was a good prequel!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Always.

No exceptions.

the good the bad and the ugly was technically a prequel

E: dammit

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm literally watching it right now can confirm it's good

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, she was kinda of an rear end in a top hat but she wasn’t a bad person. Franklin was just a shithead who stalked an old crush and got mad that she wanted to marry someone who wasn’t a monster. Trevor and Lamar are the only good ones because at least they are honest with themselves and loyal to friends.

like him.or not i've always felt like franklin was the closest thing to a normal person that any playable character has been in a gta game

Ardent Communist posted:

....Godfather 2? Kind of.

yeah, yung corleone was the most interesting thing in that one

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jimbot posted:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was a good prequel!

I feel like there is something that happened in the last 30 or so years that made all prequels have to be overly referential pieces of garbage.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I said come in! posted:

Do you not pay attention at all to social media?

The internet has melted your brain. You are mentally disabled,

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I've actually been replaying GTAV to hype myself for RDR2 and no, Franklin's aunt is absolutely terrible. She screams at him about being a freeloader constantly (despite the fact that he owns half the house, yells at him for leaving his room while she's on the phone, and says he'll always be trash because his dead mother was trash.

It's been longer since I played RDR1 but I recall Marston's wife just being angry at him the entire time despite him having no choice in her whole kidnapping/ransom and doing everything he could to save her.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ihatepants posted:

I greatly enjoyed Tim Rogers' "Not a Review" of this game. Has spoilers, but I love his videos.

This is my favorite review so far today

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like there is something that happened in the last 30 or so years that made all prequels have to be overly referential pieces of garbage.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Wolfsheim posted:

First the XBOX ONE X knocks it out of the park with GOTY State of Decay 2 and now a slightly better framerate or something on RDR2. Microsoft is back baby awhooo

Try not to sound so bitter.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I hear you. This game may be more like Tenchu 2 than the Star Wars Prequels, from what I've read on it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Vice City & San Andreas are technically prequels

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Something did happen: geek culture

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

UrbicaMortis posted:

Bonnie MacFarlane, the rancher who helps you out early in the game, was very likeable.

Yeah... thinking back she was pretty likeable I just found her .

Wolfsheim posted:

I've actually been replaying GTAV to hype myself for RDR2 and no, Franklin's aunt is absolutely terrible. She screams at him about being a freeloader constantly (despite the fact that he owns half the house, yells at him for leaving his room while she's on the phone, and says he'll always be trash because his dead mother was trash.

It's been longer since I played RDR1 but I recall Marston's wife just being angry at him the entire time despite him having no choice in her whole kidnapping/ransom and doing everything he could to save her.

Fair enough about Franklin's aunt. Its been a while since I played and all I remember is her doing the "we are women, hear us roar" power-walk which seemed to be lampooning... women exercising... female empowerment? Like a lot of things in GTAV the jokes dont have any setup or punchline so you dont know what the hell they're trying to say, if anything.

Marston's wife is angry but has her own stuff going on and isn't just a relentless shrew like I was expecting and had heard her described as. Shes got sharp edges but was a well drawn character and believable spouse I thought. Its been a year or two since I replayed RDR1 though, I liked her.

Mordiceius posted:

Always.

No exceptions.

At least we're not playing as John Marston again, though id imagine the new MC is also a boring gruff guy

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Why do I still have to wait 6 more hours plus travel and installation time my life is literally the worst

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how do i preload on a PS4? I can't find it anywhere.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Nobody cares about your preload can't you see i'm suffering

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i care! no one made you travel!!!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mordiceius posted:

You will never see me wearing a boiler plate under my poncho to protect myself from bullets *mugs at camera*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

At least we're not playing as John Marston again, though id imagine the new MC is also a boring gruff guy

Yeah pretty dissapointing, a western with a boring gruff guy character. Youd think theyd actually lean into the genre more