Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how do i preload on a PS4? I can't find it anywhere.

Go into your library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I accidentally killed the crew leader and it made me restart the mission, so what I said earlier about living with the consequences of your actions I was wrong.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Check Library on the PS4 or your download list on the PSN website if you aren't at home.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

How long will it take between popping the game into my inferior base PS4 and actually playing?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've decided to go to my first ever midnight opening, just so I can set the install up and go to bed, ready to play in the morning.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i have a metal cased ultimate edition reserved at gamestop and my fear that they will run out is probably gonna make me go miserably stand in stench tonight

does anyone have experience with going out in public that can assuage my crippling anxiety?

does a reservation actually mean a reservation and it will be there if I wait until Friday afternoon?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Starks posted:

How long will it take between popping the game into my inferior base PS4 and actually playing?

2 hours apparently :(

E: oh, under an hour isnt so bad...maybe I will sit up and play a little tonight...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Starks posted:

Apparently about 45-minutes to a hour.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

homullus posted:

Something did happen: geek culture

It feels like it's a mixture of those two things along with the rise of Family Guy style "everything must be a reference to something else" humor.

I always thought the GTA games were pretty good about the references to other games. Vice City is one of my favorite games of all time and it is, timeline-wise, a prequel. The GTA games, to my memory, would have maybe a minor character cross over but that would be about it.

My concern was more that we get the protagonist from the previous game as a character in this game. That creates some narrative problems in that John Marston kind of becomes a protected character. Dutch as well. We know that those two make it out of the game alive. So that limits storytelling potential when two characters are basically off limits for a lot of dramatic potential.

Furthermore, it limits the impact the protagonist in this game can have on Dutch/Marston because he is literally never mentioned in the first game. So it's not like he can be the right hand of Dutch or the savior of the gang, because that doesn't make sense with his omission in the prior game. I think I would have preferred if the first 1/3 of the game was you in Dutch's gang and then you strike off and make your own gang or something and never see Dutch/Marston again.

I'll be curious to see what people here think about the story.

I would love to be surprised, but I'm always incredibly skeptical when it comes to prequels that lean heavily on characters from the prior story.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

PS4 Library > Purchased > find game, clicky, download

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Did anyone determine if the people picking up in-store at 9pm will be able to play the game after it installs, or it just unlocks at midnight for everyone?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

rap music posted:

i have a metal cased ultimate edition reserved at gamestop and my fear that they will run out is probably gonna make me go miserably stand in stench tonight

does anyone have experience with going out in public that can assuage my crippling anxiety?

does a reservation actually mean a reservation and it will be there if I wait until Friday afternoon?

FWIW I have never had them not have a copy for me if I preordered at gamestop, including big releases like GTAV. I don't usually order the high-end version though.

You could show up an hour or so beforehand, check in, and then grab some taco bell or whatever while you wait. That's what I'm doing except it will be Culvers because they are still open at 8 pm

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Haha I was gonna nap til 11 or so but there's some sort of domestic goin on outside. All my plans to grab extra sleep outside workin hours gave been FOILED today. Just switch my brain off til midnight please

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Knowing what happens to Gus and Mike and that "something" happens to Kim doesn't hurt Better Call Saul in the slightest yall are overthinking the prequel bit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

After 75 reviews, the Metacritic rating is all the way down to 97.

Couldn't even hold a 100% rating, schma

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

That's it, preorder cancelled

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Powershift posted:

After 75 reviews, the Metacritic rating is all the way down to 97.

Couldn't even hold a 100% rating, schma

Garbage piece of poo poo game.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Find RDR2 under purchased games in your library.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

rap music posted:

Wait - you said metal cased, but you also said ultimate edition. The only metal case edition I heard of was the collectors box, which doesn't actually come with a copy of the game.

You did get a copy of the game, right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mordiceius posted:

It feels like it's a mixture of those two things along with the rise of Family Guy style "everything must be a reference to something else" humor.

I always thought the GTA games were pretty good about the references to other games. Vice City is one of my favorite games of all time and it is, timeline-wise, a prequel. The GTA games, to my memory, would have maybe a minor character cross over but that would be about it.

My concern was more that we get the protagonist from the previous game as a character in this game. That creates some narrative problems in that John Marston kind of becomes a protected character. Dutch as well. We know that those two make it out of the game alive. So that limits storytelling potential when two characters are basically off limits for a lot of dramatic potential.

Furthermore, it limits the impact the protagonist in this game can have on Dutch/Marston because he is literally never mentioned in the first game. So it's not like he can be the right hand of Dutch or the savior of the gang, because that doesn't make sense with his omission in the prior game. I think I would have preferred if the first 1/3 of the game was you in Dutch's gang and then you strike off and make your own gang or something and never see Dutch/Marston again.

I would love to be surprised, but I'm always incredibly skeptical when it comes to prequels that lean heavily on characters from the prior story.

I am more curious how Dutch went from charismatic gentlemen robber/anarchist Robin Hood type to broken jaded nutjob who shoots hostages and using angry Native American kids as canon fodder to keep his dead dream going.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

All the reviews are saying that yes, you are in fact Dutch’s right-hand man and knowledge of the ending doesn’t mean knowledge of Arthur’s fate, along with providing narrative connections via dramatic irony.

In short, stop being skeptical.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am more curious how Dutch went from charismatic gentlemen robber/anarchist Robin Hood type to broken jaded nutjob who shoots hostages and using angry Native American kids as canon fodder to keep his dead dream going.

The Kotaku review says Dutch is basically the same kind of character he was in the first game. He’s not a “gentleman robber”, though he likes to envision himself as one. He’s more like a cult leader who always cries about how much he cares about you and how it hurts him so bad to have to backstab you.

In 1911, he’s still trying to hold onto that personality despite losing everything and coming closer and closer to no longer being able to lie to himself and his new gang.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'll never-a be around-a oranges *mugs at camera *

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, Dutch was never a dashing Robin Hood type, he just billed himself that way. He fancies himself a paragon of freedom and sticking it to the man, which is exactly how a man who makes a living off of robbing banks and living out in the woods to avoid society would do it. He's still a gang leader who robs banks and kills people.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I bet at the end you kill Dutch and steal his identity and also wear his face

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

a lot of very thorough critical opinions and analyses from people in this thread and others who haven't played the game

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Dutch was actually Clayface the whole time

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

ada shatan posted:

Wait - you said metal cased, but you also said ultimate edition. The only metal case edition I heard of was the collectors box, which doesn't actually come with a copy of the game.

You did get a copy of the game, right?

the ultimate edition comes in a fancy sleeved steel case and is pretty much why I chose physical over digital

i'm aware the collectors box only contains an assortment of worthless garbage

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Turns out Dutch was a horse the whole time.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm excited to cowboy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chitoryu12 posted:

The Kotaku review says Dutch is basically the same kind of character he was in the first game. He’s not a “gentleman robber”, though he likes to envision himself as one. He’s more like a cult leader who always cries about how much he cares about you and how it hurts him so bad to have to backstab you.

In 1911, he’s still trying to hold onto that personality despite losing everything and coming closer and closer to no longer being able to lie to himself and his new gang.

Oh cool, so he is Jim Jones. Cool.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Supposedly, Dutch's balls change size depending on the weather

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Donovan Trip posted:

Holy poo poo! Frickin aces!!!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I saw a screen shot of your guy bathing and apparently you have to scrub each limb individually which is fuuuuuucking hilarious

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gay Horney posted:

I saw a screen shot of your guy bathing and apparently you have to scrub each limb individually which is fuuuuuucking hilarious

But mommmmmm

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Gay Horney posted:

Ya you can get fat and scrub your bhole

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I wonder if the game simulates showering w/ your dad

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

Ya you can get fat and scrub your bhole

But what will you do in the game

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

Hwhich whone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Donovan Trip posted:

But what will you do in the game

Don't know yet nobody has said if "Cowboy Song" by acclaimed Irish rock band Thin Lizzy is in the game