Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

After the disappointing 'Night Drive' by Timecop1983, and the filler of The Midnights 'Kids', I was really worried about the Gunship album. Particularly after they released When You Grow Up, which... ugh. But it turns out, its not a bad album. Not a killer album, to be sure - but I've had it on repeat for several hours now (albeit skipping When You Grow Up each time), which is a definite mark of success. I'm quite fond of most of the tracks, and I'm particularly enjoying Black Blood Red Kiss and Time After Time (mind, I'm a sucker for any version of that song). A good range of styles and moods, though the singles released so far probably remain the highlights.

It's stopped me listening to Supernova by Morgan Willis anyway, which nothing else has managed, the last few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thrasher is probably my favorite track off the new Gunship album

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's been killing me since it came out, but Kids off the new Midnight album has the exact same riff as Bloc Party's "I Still Remember."

Okay gonna finally listen to new Gunship now, see ya.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Saw Dance With The Dead last night, and I'm gonna go all "old man yells at cloud" and complain that the sound mix was way too bass heavy, and far far too loud, especially when Le Matos before them was near perfect. DWTD's tracks aren't really metal tracks, but when they play them live they just seem to disregard all the melodies in their songs and just try to destroy your ears instead. I don't Get It. Some songs were unrecognizable.

However the opening act was some guy performing live for the first time, and his poo poo was pretty good: https://gloominflux.bandcamp.com/

He did accidentally play the first couple seconds of the wrong track, twice, but that was just kinda funny :shobon:

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I recently put out an EP with a New Retro Wave feel to it. Reflections on Dreaming is a short EP created over Summer 2018 to capture the feel of some lucid dreams that I had. I find New Song 2 (Unamed) has a melancholic vaporwave feel to it, whereas the other three tracks are more upbeat.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIGjSbPwtCA

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

:stare:

and they're coming to Portland in a month, huh?

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
If there are any XCOM fans here, they just released a remastered OST of the original games and it is pretty amazing:

https://2kgamesmusic.bandcamp.com/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Pander posted:

:stare:

and they're coming to Portland in a month, huh?

Ya I got my tickets to their SF show.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFhE8_tyuw

This is not how steering wheels work :colbert:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

I don't care, I want much more of this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Desert Chrome for Hope

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Saw FM-84 last night. I'd listened to their stuff on Spotify and mentally categorized them as yet another unremarkable, same-soundy, synthwave act but they were actually great live and their stuff sounded much better. Ended up picking up a signed vinyl album.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Came here to post this, goddrat this loving slaps.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVW1WF6TfQ

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Here's even more Perturbator off that 2 disc collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj9Gr8AErQs&t=109s

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gonna be seeing Dance With The Dead in seattle on november 3rd. Very excited! My last concert was back in 09 so I'm way overdue for some live music

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Nice! I just got tickets to see The Midnight in Asheville in March

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, just in case anyone needs any extra convincing to go see Magic Sword on this tour, the live version of In the Face of Evil is loving god drat sick

this isn't quite the same (the one they played at the show I was at had a slightly different intro) but it's about 80% the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmIm6lurNSg

e: :wtc: QAnon dorks are obsessed with Magic Sword now?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 24, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pretty hard to believe guys from the 4chan website would like a band playing a style of music popular on the 4chan website

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A human heart posted:

Pretty hard to believe guys from the 4chan website would like a band playing a style of music popular on the 4chan website

I don't go on 4chan so I wasn't really aware that synthwave is big there :shrug: it also seems to be a little more, um, specific than that, i just have no clue what the hell i'm looking at in any of the google results i got about it

Ah well, just means there'll be Nazis to punch at the show

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

basic hitler posted:

Gonna be seeing Dance With The Dead in seattle on november 3rd. Very excited! My last concert was back in 09 so I'm way overdue for some live music

Bring ear plugs

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't go on 4chan so I wasn't really aware that synthwave is big there :shrug: it also seems to be a little more, um, specific than that, i just have no clue what the hell i'm looking at in any of the google results i got about it

Ah well, just means there'll be Nazis to punch at the show

all those alt right lunatics love the stuff

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Yeah looking through comments in the NRW YouTube or carpenter Brut videos is always a depressing slog. I mean, that's true anywhere, but yeah, not a huge surprise that Nazis are especially intrigued by a nostalgia-heavy genre.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Some idiot on Turbo Killer was calling the hero "antifa" :wtc:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got the re-release of Station Nova on Vinyl, and man it's a sexy blue

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

Bring ear plugs

why is that?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

basic hitler posted:

why is that?

Previous attendees cited poor mixing. All you hear is wall of noise.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

that sounds a lot cooler than if they actually played audible retrowave

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A human heart posted:

that sounds a lot cooler than if they actually played audible retrowave

Seriously why do you post here

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Pander posted:

Previous attendees cited poor mixing. All you hear is wall of noise.

Yeah, Dance with the Dead was loud as gently caress.

How is The Midnight live? I've been catching all the retro wave bands as they've been coming through the last year, and saw they were finally rolling through town. They are coming to a larger venue which kind of sucks because I've been enjoying watching these shows in random bars above pizza shops.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This is very Carpenter Brut (maybe too much of a copy but whatever I like it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqytmscKS6I

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Basticle posted:

This is very Carpenter Brut (maybe too much of a copy but whatever I like it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqytmscKS6I

Yeah that's at least 90% Hang em all but that track rules so I may allow it.

I'd discounted Gunship's 1st album a bit as I tend to prefer instrumental synth tracks but their 2nd was just so strong I went back to it and loved them both on a relisten - such good stuff.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Alan Smithee posted:

yo Kaker is Shazbot dead?

e: I think Gunship feels too clean somehow. Like, you can tell their professional background. It's all good stuff, but... Does anyone feel the same?

double riveting fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 28, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

double riveting posted:

e: I think Gunship feels too clean somehow. Like, you can tell their professional background. It's all good stuff, but... Does anyone feel the same?

Yeah, I sometimes feel like Gunship is the pop radio version of synthwave, like its engineered a certain way to sound more professional. Idk how else to describe it.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Basticle posted:

Yeah, I sometimes feel like Gunship is the pop radio version of synthwave, like its engineered a certain way to sound more professional. Idk how else to describe it.

Yeah, exactly. Like someone went "what does this need to appeal to a proper audience", while the roughness kinda defined the whole affair. I mean I don't want to deride them - they make some great tracks. But yeah - I'm not a huge fan. Also that one with the claymation video is just way too on-message with everything.

PS:
I see Irving Force only mentioned twice in this thread, which is odd... I love love love these: They rate very high on my scale for "proof that electric guitars belong in synth tracks".
https://soundcloud.com/irvingforce/helicopter-chase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O47Iswu1UZ8

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

double riveting posted:

Yeah, Shazbot is dead. It cost me around ~$60 bucks a month but the real killer is I've lost interest. Had a good run :toot:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat that's like 30 Netflix users

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, Shazbot is dead. It cost me around ~$60 bucks a month but the real killer is I've lost interest. Had a good run :toot:

Ahh, dammit. Thanks for giving me something to listen to at work and introducing me to a lot of cool stuff I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Devol_Tettran posted:

Ahh, dammit. Thanks for giving me something to listen to at work and introducing me to a lot of cool stuff I wouldn't have found otherwise.

I just put soundcloud on random