Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Sadly, I suspect it's going to be like Mass Effect: everyone talks about FemShep, but then Bioware posts the statistics and only 10% of players choose FemShep and three quarters of all players use the default male soldier with no customization.

I was always off-put watching linked videos, because they always showed default shep and I played through the entire franchise as a balding hispanic edward james olmos with a pencil mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Mondian posted:

I was always off-put watching linked videos, because they always showed default shep and I played through the entire franchise as a balding hispanic edward james olmos with a pencil mustache.

What did your character look like?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mondian posted:

Anyone that uses the default model in any game is a cop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mondian posted:

I can't stand watching walkthroughs of RPGs like that. I'm very happy with my black FemShep and the bald east Asian MShep I came up with.

Trying to make good looking black characters in a character designer not specifically designed to have lots of black NPCs is hard.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played ME1 and 2 with default Femshep because anything I changed ended up being a crime against humanity.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I almost never change faces because most of the time you just look at the back of a head or have a helmet on.

Saints Row though? Those get my full dedication during character generation.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The advent of helmets being optional was the second greatest change to be made. Now the greatest change is when more games embrace a glamor system so I can have my character look stylin'.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inzombiac posted:

After the ME trilogy was over Bioware released some analytics figures and 50% of everybody who ever bought Mass Effect played as the default male Soldier Shepard. Cursed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leal posted:

The advent of helmets being optional was the second greatest change to be made. Now the greatest change is when more games embrace a glamor system so I can have my character look stylin'.

Next greatest change is pants optional. It's not like game characters get cold often. And NPCs seem to never care about what I'm wearing. Plus I can hold more stuff on me than a U-Haul. Why wear pants?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
More games need to adopt the Tales Of series' Costumes and Accessories system

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
It's always great when you shoot someone so hard their body gets stuck in the geometry.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

I almost never change faces because most of the time you just look at the back of a head or have a helmet on.

Saints Row though? Those get my full dedication during character generation.

Apparently Volition also found out that most people were playing SR 3 or 4 with just one of the default Bosses. I can't understand it either.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently Volition also found out that most people were playing SR 3 or 4 with just one of the default Bosses. I can't understand it either.

Now this is a loving crime.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Randalor posted:

Hell, the original Doom and Doom 2 highlighted a fair number of secrets in the minimap, by showing you where a good number of the fake walls were (they were shown on the minimap as the same color as doors). Now figuring out how to open said fake walls, that was the catch. And the ones you just opened like a door were usually a slightly different texture, so you could spot them if you were paying attention. Then again, these are also, y'know, secrets, and not the stage proper. Though the keys DID shine brightly and in the dark.

holy poo poo Doom and Doom 2 had maps!?

Well, that explains why I thought the secrets were tedious bullshit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mamkute posted:

It's always great when you shoot someone so hard their body gets stuck in the geometry.

I did this with one of the Molded in RE7 and he apparently got so stuck that he refused to despawn for the rest of that part of the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

When a guy runs off screaming that you killed his mother and hosed his father, having freshly gone blind from the revelation after he was the guy who initially hired you in the first place, and cursing your name to the gods... Yeah, that can happen with either gender.
Should have designed the gender choice so you start out male, but in the tutorial you come across two mating snakes, and you pick the female option by killing them.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I liked the random coffin the tutorial area of Dark Souls 2 that swapped your character's gender with exactly zero warning or fanfare. I think some people actually got mad that they were suddenly a gal/dude when they wanted to be a dude/gal but most people just went, "wait, hang on..." several hours later.

Then in scholar of the first flame they messed it up by locking that section of the area off until much later and put a warning message or something.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What’s great about that coffin is that it does cause a message to appear at the top of the screen telling you what happened. Except, it doesn’t say “You are now a {woman/man}” or “Your sex has changed.” Instead what it says is “The nature of your being has changed.” Good luck figuring out what that means.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Playing through FXXV with female Noctis makes for some amazingly awkward dialogue.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

exquisite tea posted:

After watching that guy get stuck for 20 minutes trying to double jump in the Cuphead tutorial, I take nothing for granted.

Don't forget the terrible Bayonetta Let's Play where the obnoxious tool gets stuck at the literal beginning of the game because the idea of "move directly forward" is too much for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hA7ekMQehM&t=205s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my least favorite post on the internet.
\

Yes, I could have chosen a different photo, but I didn't.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I seem to recall the default models in ME were more detailed than any of the custom ones, so I can see having a preference for 'em.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cythereal posted:

When a guy runs off screaming that you killed his mother and hosed his father, having freshly gone blind from the revelation after he was the guy who initially hired you in the first place, and cursing your name to the gods... Yeah, that can happen with either gender.

Kassandra's self-satisfied voice to that is so good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kanfy posted:

I seem to recall the default models in ME were more detailed than any of the custom ones, so I can see having a preference for 'em.

I don't think it was that they were more detailed, it's more a case where everything was designed around the defaults. So deviations in skin color, hair, face shape, all that don't quite seem to square, because they designed one face and then ways to change that one face up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kanfy posted:

The default male was straight up someone's real face, the female... not so much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ItBreathes posted:

Think of it this way: have you ever noticed that most of the consoles being sold on Craigslist come with like, 1-2 hunting and fishing games, either a basketball, football, or soccer game, and like, a shooter or driving game?

This is such an excellent way to put it in perspective that I feel like I have stared into the event horizon after reading this post

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I finished the first Spider-Man DLC last night and it was pretty good with some dumb sections (literally have no idea what the game wanted me to do in the subway because I was pressing buttons when the tutorial pop up came and disappeared). But I like how the game divides the campaign and the DLC stories in an in-game menu. So you load a save file, then go into your menu and choose what campaign you want to play through. You can switch between them at will, and completion percentages are shown for each campaign, allowing you to see how much of each you've completed. I like that implementation - I don't have to hunt down the DLC, I know exactly when I've completed everything there is to complete, and it doesn't have to slot in somewhere in the main campaign, like having you have to talk to someone to start the missions or something. So, it can also do things like have its own set of collectibles while clearing the map of old campaign-related stuff (why would there still be crimes and stuff all over the place this far after the events of the main game, for example). Plus, anything that's shared between them (like the landmarks and backpacks) are tracked in each if you pick them up in one.

Now, the actual rewards you get from the DLC are another matter...but that's for the other thread.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just saw a video of Red Dead 2 and Arthur got clotheslined by a tree limb while riding his horse.

Also
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--5e0iINAE--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/qgp52urqjr8lqhof1be8.mp4

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Oct 25, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just figured out what the F in Doom VFR stands for.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necrothatcher posted:

I just figured out what the F in Doom VFR stands for.

"Forget any hopes you had of this thing getting patched ever"?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What's the bug? I'm about halfway through and having a blast (playing on PSVR with move controllers).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necrothatcher posted:

What's the bug? I'm about halfway through and having a blast (playing on PSVR with move controllers).

The Move controller scheme is pretty dire (there's no option to turn other than 180 degrees) and the other control methods get real floaty. There's lots of really minor control bugs too, and it's depressing that they've never done a polish-up patch for it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dewgy posted:

The Move controller scheme is pretty dire (there's no option to turn other than 180 degrees) and the other control methods get real floaty. There's lots of really minor control bugs too, and it's depressing that they've never done a polish-up patch for it.

I just... turn my head to move in the direction I want?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necrothatcher posted:

I just... turn my head to move in the direction I want?

But to turn left and keep looking in that direction, like to move down a hallway, you have to face to the side and do a weird 180 degree shuffle. There's no incremental turn options, either turn 180 degrees or not at all.

Not sure if you've played many other FPSes with the PSVR yet but it stands out like a sore thumb as one of the worst control schemes to use for the Moves.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dewgy posted:

But to turn left and keep looking in that direction, like to move down a hallway, you have to face to the side and do a weird 180 degree shuffle. There's no incremental turn options, either turn 180 degrees or not at all.

Not sure if you've played many other FPSes with the PSVR yet but it stands out like a sore thumb as one of the worst control schemes to use for the Moves.

I played a bit of Skyrim but that's it. If it's bad in comparison to other Move FPSs then I'm glad I'm playing it before them - it's great fun.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

John Lee posted:

holy poo poo Doom and Doom 2 had maps!?

Well, that explains why I thought the secrets were tedious bullshit.

No way

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necrothatcher posted:

I played a bit of Skyrim but that's it. If it's bad in comparison to other Move FPSs then I'm glad I'm playing it before them - it's great fun.

Being fair, when I was enjoying DVFR, I was enjoying the hell out of it. It's why the lack of a patch is so disappointing. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe not quite so little but I really dig basically everything about the Hearthfire content in Skyrim. It's uniquely satisfying to personally gather up materials (even if gathering often just means buying out store stocks) to build out and furnish a home. Plus there's a few technical touches that I appreciate - pseudo-containers like bookshelves, armor mannequins, and trophy stands that automagically display your stuff with zero fuss. My only complaints are that I wish my wife could double as a steward and that the display cases had the same auto-display functionality (I see there is a mod for this at least).

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Regarding games sort of requiring an overarching “game knowledge” in order to complete puzzles or having to solve what the designer wants you to do in order to solve the puzzle, Breath Of The Wild just breaks that concept over it’s knee by creating such a tightly formed world in which all the systems interlink in such a tightly woven fashion that if you feel this solution will solve that problem, it probably will.

I was completing a shrine puzzle in which you had to use metal boxes to complete circuits in order to supply enough electricity to the door mechanism. I had to use 3 boxes to complete the circuit but could only find two. So, I took a metal 2 handed sword and dropped it on the ground, then used the Magnesis rune (which will move any metal movable object) to position it so it connected the circuit. It worked and the gate opened.

It’s unlike any game I’ve ever played (excepting the new Prey) in that it will reward out of the box thinking not by designing for it, but by making sure the game systems all work together.

Playing Prey I had to sort of recondition how I thought about puzzles because that has the same sort of style. Prey is a bit different though as that design philosophy allows them to account for heaps of different playstyles. If you wanna just run through it as a shotgun maniac you totally can, or you could bypass enemies by turning yourself into a mug and launching yourself across the room with a telekinetic shockwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, Gladius: Relics of War is a largely unremarkable and bare-bones Warhammer 40k 4X game, but there's some neat little touches that I've noticed.

For the Imperial Guard, the humble Guardsman squad can get a couple of surprisingly powerful abilities - frag grenades can one-shot basic units and put a lot of hurt on heavier infantry, while krak grenades give Guardsmen a surprising amount of punch against vehicles and the like. Problem is, these grenades can only be used at melee range, and have extremely long cooldowns. Considering Guardsmen are the weakest dedicated combat unit in the game by a healthy margin and will lose one on one against any other combat unit, but are also really cheap... the cooldown on the grenades isn't a problem by design, because the Guardsmen are usually dead before the cooldown finishes.

Different races have different ambient unit chatter when encountering neutral units and units of other races. This is something Dawn of War 2 did, but it's more noticeable here - Space Marines condemning rogue Kastellan cyborgs as having turned against their masters, while Necrons think it's flattering that the humans are imitating them.

Orks are not good at producing resources on their own. Fortunately, they're really big on looting so they get resources simply for fighting. Given that this is a very stripped-down 4X with little else to do but fight, the Orks can actually end up having one of the most productive economies in the game if you're aggressive like you should be.