Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
A: Call for a Medic

We are not a medical professional, and thus we do not move the wounded. The odds of creating new complications is too high. We should be fine to open the door into the room now, so the route we took to get here isn't a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

A: Call for a Medic
Get a corpsman team in here fast, while you continue with data retrieval

She's not at risk of dying, and we can't realistically move her all by ourselves.

Call in the reinforcements, secure the data, and let's all get the hell off this rock.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

And then bkow up this rock. With lasers. Kapew!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Blasphemaster posted:

And then bkow up this rock. With lasers. Kapew!

. . . its the only way to be sure . . .

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A

The whole reason we came in was to secure the data, don't give it up that easy.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So the votes currently stand at:

A: Call for a Medic 6
B: Get Her to Doc 2
C: Full Emergency Medivac Her 6

Update tomorrow if we get a tiebreaker in before then

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm your huckleberry.

A

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm your huckleberry.

A

You Red Deadin' tonight, pardner? :clint:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C let's make sure Okafor lives, her life could potentially be more important than whatever data was left behind here.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The next vote will end this poll, lets break this tie.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
C, baby :getin:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Vote Over, update incoming

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You release a breath you didn’t know you were holding when Okafor’s vitals stabilize a bit on your tactical display. She’s not bleeding out anymore, but she’s still a long way from safe. You could-

gently caress it. You’ve made too many life-or-death decisions in the last hour, you’re done. You trigger the emergency seals on her hardsuit, and toggle your comm as the quick-set foam fills the breaches. ”This is River. I’m declaring a Priority One Medical Emergency, Sgt. Okafor is only alive because I had a Patch on me.” The foam turns blue, indicating a full pressurization. You pick up the sergeant, thanking the microgravity for once. ”I will make a low-orbit rendezvous in Baby, please have a transport there to pick us up in 5. The shells have been deactivated, transferring operation conditions to legionspace now. River out.”

A gaggle of voices fill you commnet, but you ignore them. You’ve more than earned your pay today, and while people die in combat you’re not going to let someone die at your feet. Not again.

======
Aboard the Intrepid Dawn, Emergency Quarantine

You make yourself as comfortable as you can on the medibench, and watch as a team of safety-suited engineers go over Baby with a wide array of scanners. Its that or watch Okafor sleep in the surgical field tent they set up in this corner of the hanger bay. The bay itself isn’t that interesting, the damage and debris from the panicked flight earlier removed or covered up. And even the tactical feed from moonside was rather dull, the squads on the surface having finished the preliminary cataloging of what L'Étranger had left behind.

It would take specialized teams weeks to piece together everything, but at least the shells and recovered datapaks would be taken back to Liyongo for analysis. You do wonder what they’re going to do with the mothballed Schedule-2 printer that was discovered mostly disassembled in a storage hanger. But they aren’t paying you to worry about that, so its back to watching the engineers.

”Captain On Deck!” The cry catches you off-guard, and you start as the Auxiliary stand at attention and snap salutes. Captain Okafor gives them all a tired smile and waves them back to their duties. She approaches your medibench, a train of BOUDICAs trailing behind her. You give her a much less official salute before indicating the tubes running from the bench to your other arm.

”Sorry Mon Capitaine, but the medic says I’m not to move too much. Looks like we took some high-energy muon exposure down there, they’re giving me a bit of a flush.”

She nods. ”Yes, BOUDICA’s given me the quarantine report. Luckily proximity to such a large unknown paracausal device didn’t have any worse effects. You should be out of here within the hour.” You can tell her attention isn’t totally on you, her eyes darting to the surgical tent. As you thank her for the update, she nods absently and steps over to the observation window. She stares at the sleeping sergeant Okafor, focused enough that BOUDICA has to say her name several times at one point to get her attention. Looking from the Captain to the Sergeant, something clicks.

A: “Your daughter was very brave today. A good soldier.”
B: “The sergeant’s a good soldier. We were lucky to have her.
C: “A brave girl, but a bit on the impetuous side. Could use some cooling off.”
D: Say Nothing

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 26, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

definitely B

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah we'll go with B.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
B

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

B

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: C: “A brave girl, but a bit on the impetuous side. Could use some cooling off.”

Let's tell the Captain how it actually went down.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Remembering how squirrelly the sergeant got when family was mentioned, you decide to play it soft. The various cultures of humanity could get weird about the strangest things. “The sergeant’s a good soldier. We were lucky to have her.” Captain Okafor nods quickly, like she doesn’t trust herself to speak.

“She’s one of the best of us.” Her voice quickly grows stronger, as she shifts from ‘distressed mother’ to ‘proud superior officer. ”The best academy scores in a generation, and the first citizen of Liyongo to qualify for and pass the Pilot Training Program. If it wasn’t for the bureaucratic snarl that’s delayed her GMS license, she would have been our mechanized backup on this mission.”

She turns away from the window, captain mask firmly in place. ”Although to be honest, i am glad that you were with us today Pilot River. Thank you.” One of the BOUDICAs clears their throat discretely. ”And now, duty calls. Get some rest pilot, you deserve it.”

You exchange salutes, and Captain Okafor strides out. Settling back into the medcouch, you have to agree with her. Even though by your watch its only been three hours since the drop, you’ve never been one to turn down bunk time...

=====
Amarkantak Station, several days later

You’re beginning to think that battle, even one against a foe as odd as L'Étranger, is preferable to the endless Union bureaucracy. The after-action reports requested by Liyongo High Command were annoying, but tolerable. But while you were signing off on the paperwork BOUDICA helpfully filled out, word of the attack on Wayward Son got out. Suddenly Liyongo’s Union Administrator was arriving months early, bearing a name for the blink gate and a great deal more questions. Detailed questions that required oral depositions and neural exams.

But finally, two weeks after the attack on Tyrant-3, you’re sitting face to face with Administrator Bainly and his NPH DILIGENCE.

The room is newly furnished in what you can only assume are Cradle styles, sitting deep in the UAD complex. Bainly favors you with a thankful smile while the info he’s just given you scrolls up on your pad. DILIGENCE simply watches quietly. ”Union, and the Union Administrative Department in particular, would like to thank you for your assistance to the Liyongo system during this unfortunate pirate ordeal. As such, We have authorized a sizeable bonus to your contract with Liyongo High Command. Consider it a combination of danger pay and a token of our esteem.”

The numbers that are filling your pad are insane, several years worth of standard and bonus pay in Mirrorsmoke. But you can also see the catch, there’s a rider dictating that you leave the system today (they’ve helpfully provided a berth on a blinkship) and a rather hefty NDA.
Its gently caress-off money basically. They don’t want you sticking around anymore or talking to anyone. Probably already cooking up a story to explain the ‘pirate ordeal’ in simple terms.

It may be gently caress-off money, but it is a gently caress-load of it. Enough to set you up in comfort in a system of your choice once your MSMC term is up. On the other hand, there’s the comm you received from Captain Okafor. ‘Binti’ Okafor actually, a request for a meeting sent through civilian channels. Decisions, decisions.

The Deal
A: Take the Deal and Leave (Warning: this choice ends the CYOA)
Take your new-found riches and enjoy the rest of your life.
B: Take the Deal But Arrange a Meeting
Captain Okafor was on the blinkstation, you could try to meet her before your flight.
C: Turn the Deal Down, Arrange a Meeting
Maybe you’ve discovered a limit to your avarice, maybe you just don’t like getting pushed around by Union.

The Message
D: Tell Administrator Bainly ‘L'Étranger says hello.’
E: Don’t Deliver the Message

(these are two different votes)

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
C
D

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 1, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
C
D

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 1, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
FYI, the lettering didn't reset for the second question. I know what you mean, but just for the sake of clarity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
BD

Be true to our nature but see what the Captain wants

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B D

We’re literally in this for the money, it makes no sense to turn down money and not explore other ways of getting more

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BD. Also, I feel an very strong urge to fistfight your hair. Not gonna. Just saying. Hire a stylist who isnt on Space PCP. :wtc:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
B and D. On the one hand money is cool, on the other hand ending the CYOA seems rather anticlimactic. This will almost certainly result in us getting in trouble with Union at some point but what's the point of playing a game where we take the easy road all the time?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C and D let's see how deep the paracausal rabbit hole goes

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries posted:

#19 The world is richer when you turn enemies into friends, but that's not the same as you being richer.

BD

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A. We're here for money and I can't justify any other choice with the character.
E. If L'etranger wanted us to do something for him he should have paid us, shouldn't he?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C
D

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

BD

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

‘Binti’ Okafor actually, a request for a meeting sent through civilian channels. Decisions, decisions.

Vote: B: Take the Deal But Arrange a Meeting

C'mon folks, this CYOA is too nice to just end after one drop.

Vote: D: Tell Administrator Bainly ‘L'Étranger says hello.’

Maybe we can get more money out of it?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
C,D Say no and let him know why.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
BD obvi

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
CD wait out for the bigger payout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This guy is full of poo poo and his hair is stupid.
CD