Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

PC, a couple of the tips cause the game to lock (it seems to be because they're long enough to wrap onto a second page and the game can't handle that). It's not super high impact since you can just restart the game and avoid reading those two tips but it's a bit annoying.

Mm, good to know, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
After Muv-Luv broke me from reading VNs a ton, I've finally started getting my groove back with The Way We All Go.

It's kind of interesting to know a game has a Yandere tag on VNDB but not be 100% sure who the Yandere is just yet. I'm assuming the obvious one but there's some contenders.

Seeing the mix on VAL-HA11-A (?) makes it a bit difficult to keep in my wish list. The horny child sex robot thing is :barf: but without that, I think it'd be OK? Just super chill.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Seeing the mix on VAL-HA11-A (?) makes it a bit difficult to keep in my wish list. The horny child sex robot thing is :barf: but without that, I think it'd be OK? Just super chill.

she is the character that the writers obviously expect you to like best, and none of the others are much better

The thing is, there are tons of games that are at least partly about just having a basic time with people and hearing their stories. In the end, VA is only unique in what it lacks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

this is going to be the greatest video game of all time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Looks like Mysteria will have a demo on PSN in North America, Europe, and Australia this Tuesday (9/25). Maybe I'll charge up my Vita.

also

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1043255246972043264

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 21, 2018

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So is there no way to install Henkaku without a 1st party Vita Memory card?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm only on the second hour of Shibuya Scramble but it's been great so far, genuinely funny and interesting and the localisation is Yakuza level (outside of a habit of people referring to each other as 'pal' which just reminds me of Gumshoe).
If they carry on doing stuff as sneaky as hiding an important story trigger in one of the optional Tips should be a fun time too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I was hoping this might also be the origin of the idiom "turn down" in the sense of "refuse", but I can't find anyone online talking about its etymology at all.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm only on the second hour of Shibuya Scramble but it's been great so far, genuinely funny and interesting and the localisation is Yakuza level (outside of a habit of people referring to each other as 'pal' which just reminds me of Gumshoe).
Clearly an overly-literal translation of the original Australian "mate".

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 22, 2018

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Figuring out how to download the patches for higurashi so only voices get added is a pain. I tried doing the "voices only" option in the installer and when I opened up Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 I got the no voices version. It might be because this I'm playing it on GOG, but I really don't get it. Does anyone have advice?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you are having issues with their unified installer, you could try just doing installing the voice only patches manually: https://github.com/07th-mod/guide/wiki/Higurashi-Part-1.1---Voices-only-Patch

I know their installer is really only tested with the steam releases, your problem might be related to this:

quote:

[Onikakushi only] I have the MangaGamer version of the game and the patch doesn't work!

That is because MangaGamer is selling an outdated version of the game that was made in Unity 4. All Steam versions use Unity 5, and they are not compatible with older versions of the engine. Our patch currently uses advanced changes to the code to add new features that are impossible to run in the MangaGamer version. Because of that, the full patch will not work. With that in mind, the only thing you can currently do is to play the game with voices only.
I'm assuming that GOG probably uses the same non-drm version as mangagamer?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The London Mysteria demo is out on PSN so if you have a Vita you can try it out.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I’m on ch 3 of Umineko, I’m reallllllly getting the feeling that there is a ton of unreliable narration going on, but I suppose maybe that’s the point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Barent posted:

I’m on ch 3 of Umineko, I’m reallllllly getting the feeling that there is a ton of unreliable narration going on, but I suppose maybe that’s the point.

Yeah, I got that feeling after a certain point in Chapter 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay I finished Shibuya Scramble, it's pretty great if you want a fairly weird police procedural with a bunch of quirky characters and random Twin Peaks references despite being nothing like it really.

drat they hid some of the secrets well though and there's not much stuff out there about it on the internet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barent posted:

That makes you a better reader than a substantial portion of the people who read Umineko!

Spoilers, though kinda indirect and not particular major ones (otherwise I wouldn't post them here even in spoiler tags) - It amazes me how many people read Umineko and come out with the impression that it's just a story about Battler being a badass who owns all the bad guys.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Ytlaya posted:

That makes you a better reader than a substantial portion of the people who read Umineko!

Spoilers, though kinda indirect and not particular major ones (otherwise I wouldn't post them here even in spoiler tags) - It amazes me how many people read Umineko and come out with the impression that it's just a story about Battler being a badass who owns all the bad guys.

Having read Higurashi it would be foolish to think this was a simple murder mystery about magic and witches. There’s clearly more going on, and i’m starting to get a very small inkling of what it is, but I need more info.

Is it really true that the epitaph is unsolvable if you don’t know japanese?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Barent posted:

Having read Higurashi it would be foolish to think this was a simple murder mystery about magic and witches. There’s clearly more going on, and i’m starting to get a very small inkling of what it is, but I need more info.

Is it really true that the epitaph is unsolvable if you don’t know japanese?

more or less since it plays off the kanji used in it

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Cake Attack posted:

more or less since it plays off the kanji used in it

Well that sucks. I was trying to figure it out but making no progress.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To be fair a Japanese reader who could not also speak English would also presumably not be able to solve it.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I want to be mad at that but Kinzo being super into Western stuff makes complete sense for the epitaph being that way. Oh well

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

To be fair a Japanese reader who could not also speak English would also presumably not be able to solve it.

I doubt anyone would be able to solve it. Like yes it's technically solvable but goddamn I refuse to believe anyone has ever actually

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Barent posted:

Is it really true that the epitaph is unsolvable if you don't know japanese?

Put it this way: No-one, when told the solution to the epitaph, has ever said "of course, I should have figured that out".

Cake Attack posted:

I doubt anyone would be able to solve it. Like yes it's technically solvable but goddamn I refuse to believe anyone has ever actually

A handful of people in the Japanese community did post the correct solution before it was revealed, but even then they had no way to verify it so it was just one theory in a sea of possibles.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 25, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was more like an ARG for the community as a whole to solve, rather than something for an individual reader to work out.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

About the spoiler: really??? For real?? I cannot for the life of me get where would people get that impression.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Someone legitimately did in the Umineko Let’s Play that happened here a while back, everyone was flabbergasted

don’t worry too much about it if you’re reading for the first time tho; you don’t need the epitaph to solve the heart of umineko

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

London Detective Mysteria: saving the day with the power of :catdrugs:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is Umineko still enjoyable if you don't read Higurashi? Higurashi didn't seem like super bad per se to me but it didn't really grab me and I felt like it was kinda slow, I didn't get that far in it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The connections are minor and functionally irrelevant

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is Umineko still enjoyable if you don't read Higurashi? Higurashi didn't seem like super bad per se to me but it didn't really grab me and I felt like it was kinda slow, I didn't get that far in it

Reading Higurashi first certainly isn't necessary. There are a lot of similarities between them, so often if you don't like one you won't like the other, but Umineko is specifically less slow and more immediately arresting than Higurashi so it sounds like it's worth your time to try.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

But I do hope that happens sometimes though. Like I’m on episode 5, and I want my main man battler to outsmart Erika whenever he can!! She’s sucks but in a fun to hate kinda way.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Erika is the best character in the game. Maybe.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case is so ridiculous in so many ways, mostly good. Recently got past chapter 5 with the opening credits!? So maybe a third of the way through?

I like the doubling down on antagonizing the player in terms of insane puzzles and dialogue compared to the first game. You come in kind of knowing what to expect, but the sequel kind of goes "yeah, you do, but also gently caress you" by taking some of the worst parts of the original and intentionally blowing them up. Like puzzle-wise the hallway navigation and doorbell ringing puzzles, and the conversations where one side says something cryptic and the other flips a coin to either say "what the gently caress are you even talking about" or alternatively knows exactly what they're talking about and goes with the flow. But occasionally they'll say "oh that stuff I just spent the past 5 minutes talking about? Nevermind it's not true LOL my bad."

One of my favorite ongoing things plotwise is how you have no idea if the player character is even alive, or a real person, or visible to others. Is the player a digital delusion? A ghost? Is there something wrong with people's eyes?

Also how coming from the ending of the original where Big Dick got killed, I think? But in the sequel it got retconned to Big Dick surviving, and yet I'm not sure if they really survived or if it's some mass delusion or memory hack or something.

Also good music.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Good chunk through the Atlus-published Utawarerumono games, finished the second(?) act last night. They've been pretty good, though at points the storytelling feels a bit disjointed in how it (by necessity, I guess) will jump to narrating "and then this national event happened" after the last, it can feel a tad contrived (the end of the Yamato campaign really tripped my "hero incontrovertibly fucks up but gets saved by arbitrary luck" peeve), and I can deffo see why some of its extremely "descended from an eroge prequel" elements put some people off earlier in the thread.

Has some very good parts though! Pretty much all of the interpersonal drama resulting from Oshtor's situation is really really good imo.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I finished that dang seacats. It’s alright.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Barent posted:

I finished that dang seacats. It’s alright.
What did you think of it?

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Raxivace posted:

What did you think of it?

It’s above average but not being huge into the mystery genre really hurt its appeal for me. That, and I hate rich people and indeed most of the characters. It’s still a good, intelligent story with plenty of cool poo poo though.

I’m glad I took the time to finally finish it. I still like a lot of other VNs more but Umineko is really special.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

TalkLittle posted:

Also how coming from the ending of the original where Big Dick got killed, I think? But in the sequel it got retconned to Big Dick surviving, and yet I'm not sure if they really survived or if it's some mass delusion or memory hack or something.

Given the nature of the game I have no idea if I'm right cause this is based off memory of The Silver Case, but I think Big Dick survives at the end. I remember the ending being the detective guy realizing that Big Dick wasn't a Kamui clone or something, and then the last line is "Then who the gently caress is Big Dick?" Honestly though I have no idea.

That game ruled (?)

Finished 428 Shibuya Scramble, and overall it's quite good. The vast majority of the game has excellent pacing and a huge amount of charm, and the constant switching between protagonists keeps things moving. Worth it, even at the 50$ price point.

(spoilers for whole game) I didn't like the ending that much, though. Gameplay wise the bomb stuff got really annoying. The lack of a skip button along with the fact that the bad ends disappeared from the timeline but were still there became frustrating very quickly. I futzed around with the bomb stuff for quite a while, and many of my experiments changed things just enough that they died in a slightly different way, while still making me unable to skip through it. That's something that only came up in the last major event of the game, and really killed a lot of the momentum for me.

The twist I was expecting, due to the constant mentions of Alphard actively incorporating coincidences into their plan, was that the player would be them somehow. This would have been pretty cool and mind-bending, but instead it's just "yeah, this character is Alphard." It's fine, but the fact that Alphard wasn't even really beaten in the end was frustrating. I dunno, most of my problems with it are vague right now and I'm just throwing it at Alphard's feet. I was onboard with everything up until 18:00-20:00, and then something just started to fall flat with it all.

Maybe it's just cause everything narrows back down to Achi/Endo at the end, and they were consistently the two that I'd look at last in the Main 5. Osawa was my favorite, followed by Minorikawa, then Tama. Those two were fine, but I just engaged a lot more with the plot with the other three. Bah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did you get the true ending and read the Canaan extra episode because that adds some stuff to the ending. Also the anime series called Canaan is a direct sequel which ties up some loose ends.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Sakurazuka posted:

Did you get the true ending and read the Canaan extra episode

I really should have expected something like this lol. I'll do this today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Are people here thinking of buying death Mark? I was super hyped for it, and then saw some stuff that had me take a step back, so now I wanted to someone who played it to just spoil me over that specific thing to know if I should go ahead with it or not.