Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Also yeah, ZUN seems to just love the whole doujin scene and experience, but in recent years he seems to have warmed up to the idea that international fans would like to buy his games but that traveling halfway across the world for them is perhaps not reasonable.
I still don't own physical copies of any of them, even though I've passed through Akihabara Station and probably been within a few hundred metres of them. Maybe I've been remiss as a Touhou fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought ZUN just really liked the whole doujin scene, like he just enjoyed it being a thing sold at cons at basically the same level as all the fan works that were made off of it. And just never really wanting to have his works sold through "offical" sources or anything, even though he'd definitely make more from it. But then again from what I understand his manga have been sold from legitimate publications and everything for ages, so maybe if he did think that way it was several years ago.
There are plenty of methods to disseminate indie things without being "corporate" or whatever idea he's got in his head that makes it difficult to acquire his works through normal means outside japan. And he has remarked on localizations that he doesn't feel comfortable with having others interpret his words in other ways, or something like that.

Putting his stuff on steam is a decent first step, but not letting them be officially translated by professional translation groups is a dumb blockheaded thing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
On the topic of more traditional horizontal shooters and the like, Darius Burst is a really kick rear end modern Darius title that's available through Steam and the like.

It's roughly as difficult as a general Touhou, which is to say it's much more fair than the original arcade games. It's also designed to be played in a shorter amount of time; there are several routes but each route is only three levels long, and they each maintain a very tight pace.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Captain Invictus posted:

Putting his stuff on steam is a decent first step, but not letting them be officially translated by professional translation groups is a dumb blockheaded thing
Except the one Touhou game that did get a "professional" translation (Antimony of Common Flowers, since it was developed by Tasogare Frontier) ended up with inconsistent romanizations and several misinterpretations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Captain Invictus posted:

There are plenty of methods to disseminate indie things without being "corporate" or whatever idea he's got in his head that makes it difficult to acquire his works through normal means outside japan. And he has remarked on localizations that he doesn't feel comfortable with having others interpret his words in other ways, or something like that.

heck, there's also the fact some of the games are weirdly code-interwoven with the text, where sometimes fairies will spawn in different places with translations and etc

I think all those horror stories might be just IN tho

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
There was a pamphlet being handed out at the announcement for the upcoming Touhou Cannonball smartphone game and it had a short interview with ZUN in it. He didn't seem to take that much of an interest in the project itself, but he explained his reason for its approval.

https://twitter.com/LaSlQVSQkLB6dDo/status/1051815137458368512
"I have to keep being more open-minded. The reason why Touhou as a brand has lasted this long was simply because I continued to license it. I realized that if I start turning things down because of my personal preferences, that'll be the end."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good that he's recognizing it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Here is to 5 more years of me ignoring this thread.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wild and Horned Hermit 47!

In which, shockingly, things happen.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I can't believe reimu hakurei is loving dead

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can’t believe Sanae killed Reimu.

:rip:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 47!

In which, shockingly, things happen.

coming to canon tenshi after FMW tenshi is giving me whiplash

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
F

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Celestial Cave?

I mean, there's no way ZUN would allow a stripdance in Touhou canon, but that's a pretty raunchy reference right there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
WaHH Reimu continues to be just this side of Too Dumb to Live.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nages posted:

I can't believe reimu hakurei is loving dead

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Not even food brings her back. RIP.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rectus posted:

Not even food brings her back. RIP.

Surprised they didn't try money

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
or booze

what a lazy kasen not even showing up in her own book

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

she showed up on the last page, technically

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

always knew reimu would go to hell

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Why wouldn't she? She already went to settle a dispute with a crazy cat lady.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Sorry everyone its Yuugi's arm she lost in a tragic flexing accident and WaHH will never end

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Reimu will be trapped forever until the real arm is found

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So that makes two chapters in a row in which Reimu died.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
It's OK, she still has some extra lives left. Or a continue if it comes to that.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Stay safe poverty ghost

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1055653541317042177

Why is 2018 like this

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
nothing has made my blood run colder than finding out elon tweeted a touhou

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
if elon is a touhou he's kanako since all of his ventures that are ostensibly created to modernize are actually just thinly veiled vanity projects meant to drum up good pr

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Wrong! If Elon is a Touhou, he's definitely Cirno because Kagerou is obviously a wolfgirl.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He is not a touhou because touhous are good, and he is not.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/kagewaka/status/1055712872955809792

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I can think of a Touhou that is not good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Great, touhou is ruined now.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

if elon is a touhou he's kanako since all of his ventures that are ostensibly created to modernize are actually just thinly veiled vanity projects meant to drum up good pr
lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
touhou is good actually

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

I can think of a Touhou that is not good

I can't.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

A Touhou can't be good if she doesn't exist.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

i wish elon musk was like mima in that he’d go away and never ever come back