Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
All you can eat [record scratch]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DangerDummy! posted:

I feel like there's a good book in Phil's life & career, but since about 8 people would read it I know I'm not gonna bother writing it. He's a fascinating guy, and I wish the Phil Hendrie thread didn't die after about 4 days.

I dunno, I surprisingly often encounter people who have heard of him in fans of dudes talking, especially amongst west coast fans. I am not surprised that it's hard to sustain a thread though because I can only talk about my favorite bits so many times (Shaq takes time away from the Lakers to do Shakespeare in the Park, Art Bell parodies, KFI flips formats to Ritmo Latino).

It just got really hard to follow him once I moved away from LA and every few years I'd poke in and it was just different.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JGdmn posted:

loving this.

Also, the builder poo poo is bunk. Adam knows quite a bit about building, if you stopped learning in 1992. He quit being up with the times, and blames everyone else. You shouldn't attempt to be a GC in your spare time and complain about how difficult it is. Dude was still quizzing people on nailing schedules in the 2010s without knowing he was hilariously out of date (and also wrong, because the specs change engineer to engineer and he doesn't really build anything of consequence).

Adam has been a comedian or whatever a lot longer than he was ever in the trade, so this weird reverence he still has for his own knowledge or that part of his life is like someone clinging onto the time they did something cool in high school and can't get it go.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

DrVenkman posted:

Adam has been a comedian or whatever a lot longer than he was ever in the trade, so this weird reverence he still has for his own knowledge or that part of his life is like someone clinging onto the time they did something cool in high school and can't get it go.

I guess the sad thing is that he's much, much more experienced in the comedy field and I'd rather him build me a shed than tell me a joke.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't know, I'm not a contractor but he has a lot of exposure to currently-working contractors (Ray, now Stromer, ongoing building projects, call-ins to his podcast etc.) and he seems pretty on top of what he knows and admitting what he doesn't know as well.

I haven't listened to the main show much in the last few years but I've listened to all of his Adam & Drew show podcasts (don't recommend it outside of a few selected call-ins here and there) and hoo boy the politics are awful. Very recent one was Drew talking about Trump derangement syndrome and Adam saying liberals are crazy obsessed Trump-haters, not comme ci, comme ça like he is about Gavin Newsom. Uh, okay Adam.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pangstrom posted:

I don't know, I'm not a contractor but he has a lot of exposure to currently-working contractors (Ray, now Stromer, ongoing building projects, call-ins to his podcast etc.) and he seems pretty on top of what he knows and admitting what he doesn't know as well.

I haven't listened to the main show much in the last few years but I've listened to all of his Adam & Drew show podcasts (don't recommend it outside of a few selected call-ins here and there) and hoo boy the politics are awful. Very recent one was Drew talking about Trump derangement syndrome and Adam saying liberals are crazy obsessed Trump-haters, not comme ci, comme ça like he is about Gavin Newsom. Uh, okay Adam.

I'm not a contractor but I'm pretty handy and have built plenty of things / done tons of DIY jobs and Adam has a very basic understanding of things you can pick up within a year or so of jumping into the hobby. A lot of his ideas a very old school ideas that might work but are dated and much slower than new methods.

Also speaking of Ray and Stromer, Stromer was just on Ray's podcast last week. So if anyone wants to hear them together again, then check it out! https://dotellray.com/2018/08/10/the-do-tell-ray-show-e27-eric-stromer-talks-stealing-sharks-bobby-brown-bar-baby/

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

pangstrom posted:

lol at the idea of adam admitting he doen't know something

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

little munchkin posted:

lol at the idea of adam admitting he doen't know something
It's not his strong suit when it comes to stuff he truly knows nothing about (e.g. anything about other countries) but I've heard him do it on ace on the house at least a dozen times.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
The thing is, he thinks he knows something but doesn't. So that "I don't know what I'm talking about " switch doesn't get thrown. Just the " I did this thirty years ago for real" knee jerk.

You know, like his politics.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Catching up on old Adam & Drew podcasts, sounds like Adam might be moving to Nevada (or at least leave LA) at some point in the future. A couple of times he's alluded to it with the same brevity and abstraction with which he signaled dumping Ray a couple years ago when he wasn't taking improv classes or getting photos for the TV show or whatever. With Adam both brevity and abstraction are head-turners. Wonder if he'll end up in Incline Village or some similar border place where people go (or, sometimes, "go" mostly on paper) for the low taxes etc.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is he still with Lynette?

I think Adam's been threatening to move out of LA for decades. Even back in the Loveline days he'd talk about how he couldn't wait to get out of "piece of poo poo LA".

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yes, as far as what has come up on the A&D Show at least he is still with Lynette.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Is he still with Lynette?

I think Adam's been threatening to move out of LA for decades. Even back in the Loveline days he'd talk about how he couldn't wait to get out of "piece of poo poo LA".

Ya hes been saying it for years. Doubt it will happen with all his holdings being in Cali.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but this seemed different. I don't think "his holdings" would be as much of an issue as the main show itself, unless he was ditching Bryan and Gina and having guests call in or something.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pangstrom posted:

Catching up on old Adam & Drew podcasts, sounds like Adam might be moving to Nevada (or at least leave LA) at some point in the future. A couple of times he's alluded to it with the same brevity and abstraction with which he signaled dumping Ray a couple years ago when he wasn't taking improv classes or getting photos for the TV show or whatever. With Adam both brevity and abstraction are head-turners. Wonder if he'll end up in Incline Village or some similar border place where people go (or, sometimes, "go" mostly on paper) for the low taxes etc.

Ray talked about being fired on his podcast. He said that Adam often embellished what was actually going on. Ray actually owned commercial property for years while at the same time Adam was making fun of him for not owning a home. Also Ray was in improv classes at the time that Adam fired him. I know Adam has talked about moving for years. I can't really see him uprooting his kids to go to Nevada. But you're right, abstraction and brevity are weird so maybe there is something to it.

P.S. I've said it before but Ray's podcast Do Tell Ray (referencing the Don't Tell Ray parties Adam would throw) is actually really good. If anyone liked the Ray / Stromer Ace on the House then this is a great alternative to it. It's the only show in the ACE world that I actually regularly listen to.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Moniker posted:

Ray talked about being fired on his podcast. He said that Adam often embellished what was actually going on. Ray actually owned commercial property for years while at the same time Adam was making fun of him for not owning a home. Also Ray was in improv classes at the time that Adam fired him. I know Adam has talked about moving for years. I can't really see him uprooting his kids to go to Nevada. But you're right, abstraction and brevity are weird so maybe there is something to it.

P.S. I've said it before but Ray's podcast Do Tell Ray (referencing the Don't Tell Ray parties Adam would throw) is actually really good. If anyone liked the Ray / Stromer Ace on the House then this is a great alternative to it. It's the only show in the ACE world that I actually regularly listen to.

I know people like this, who spit out "renters" like they can sum up everything about a person with one nasty word.

Also, why are people such goddamn babies about their taxes, Jesus.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

At this point I absolutely could see Adam uprooting the family to go live in a compound in nevada

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

WEH posted:

At this point I absolutely could see Adam uprooting the family to go live in a compound in nevada

Well his house is for sale. https://vimeo.com/289410216?ref=em-share

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ugh those bathrroms, so many pastels.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did anything come of his Kickstarter documentaries? I know Road Hard screwed backers over. Same for the "legal fund".

It's still funny to me that Adam never shuts up about handouts but has begged for them numerous times despite being a literal millionaire.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Niwrad posted:

I know Road Hard screwed backers over.

What happened with Road Hard?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

I know people like this, who spit out "renters" like they can sum up everything about a person with one nasty word.

Also, why are people such goddamn babies about their taxes, Jesus.

the government is stealing the hard earned money he made by telling a story about being stuck in LA marathon traffic nine thousand times over the course of 20 years.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

mrlego posted:

I seem to remember some of the backers that paid like 5k for speaking roles getting their lines cut, and some dude that was cut out entirely. Or something.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mrlego posted:

Some guy paid $10k to appear in the movie and they cut his role out. Apparently they were really late on the DVD/Blu-Ray shipping and a lot of people didn't get them. The t-shirts were also a mess and a lot of people didn't get the right size and the quality was garbage.

You have the whole patent troll legal fund that was supposed to go after the patent. He ended up just settling after getting a bunch of people to promote the fund.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've always heard that grew up poor who become rich will try to make up for the time that they were poor. Buy cars from that era, clothes, etc. Adam's design style is basically how he wish he had lived growing up in the 70's.

It's not bad or anything, but he's clearly obsessed with that time period.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I've always heard that grew up poor who become rich will try to make up for the time that they were poor. Buy cars from that era, clothes, etc. Adam's design style is basically how he wish he had lived growing up in the 70's.

It's not bad or anything, but he's clearly obsessed with that time period.

I think it's just the style of the house. It's a mid century house and it wouldn't make sense to decorate it in a different way. You can find how it used to look before he moved in and it really is an improvement.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What happened to his relationship with Larry Miller?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Red posted:

What happened to his relationship with Larry Miller?

Larry fell and bumped his head and was gone for quite some time. Now he's back every so often. But for the most part, when asking about Adam's relationships with people the answer is "he went on a right wing rant and that person avoids him now"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Seems like he was on ~6 weeks ago
https://www.podcastone.com/Adam-Carolla-Show?showAllEpisodes=true

and goddamn, if you searched "Miller" like I did you see that is a LOT of Dennis Miller. Also episodes are split into 2 files.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Adam's Hollywood Hills house had way more character and was way cooler than that ranch. https://variety.com/2015/dirt/real-estalker/adam-carolla-lists-in-hollywood-hills-1201642971/

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Adam's Hollywood Hills house had way more character and was way cooler than that ranch. https://variety.com/2015/dirt/real-estalker/adam-carolla-lists-in-hollywood-hills-1201642971/

I hate that style of decor and architecture so beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Look at the tilework at any and all transitions on that Hollywood Hills house. Thumbnails 12 & 15.

Ray? I hope not.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Moniker posted:

I hate that style of decor and architecture so beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder

Setting, space and even layout is great (enclosed courtyard is a dream), but I’d agree, that’s about the the furthest from my tastes you can get outside of McMansion Hell.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I see Adam is on my fave youtube series, Hot Ones and I haven't listened to him in years as he got more and more up his rear end while the show strayed from guests and more of a zany morning radio which he came out originally saying he hated.

Is Adam any better? Has he fully gone down the right-wing hell hole?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Vintersorg posted:

Is Adam any better? Has he fully gone down the right-wing hell hole?

You know in your heart the answer to that.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Adam is terrible but his appearance on Hot Ones was good. Sean Evans is a great interviewer and Adam should take notes. Adam did amazing with the heat though.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
It is the same Adam that I stopped listening to years ago, doing the same rants he did 20 years ago, ie “attack crows.”

He has moments that remind me why I liked him in the first place, but he’s not getting any better.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Passionfruit emotional support crows inspecting my build site, not turning right on red, writing chickenshit tickets!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
How old is the attack crows joke? 10, 15 years? More?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
http://lovelinetapes.com/shows/2003-03-19-victoria-silvstedt/

Over 15 years old! That joke can almost drive one of Adam's Paul Newman racecars.