Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

big trivia FAIL posted:

I've still got 8 minutes to go for install, but the controls can't be worse than Dark Souls 1 and those became "intuitive"

It's not just the way buttons are mapped (although that can also be confusing with the sheer number of different actions they've had to map to the controller) but the slow, deliberate feel of the game. The momentum Arthur has is realistic and weighty, but controlling the game isn't what you'd call responsive, in any way. Everything is slow and deliberate, and almost every button press has a corresponding, and slow, animation. So, trying to loot poo poo from a small house can be quite frustrating and takes longer than I'd prefer. It almost feels like input lag, but it's not, it's just the way the game works. I see what they're going for, and maybe it'll grow on me as I spend more time with the game, but it's certainly an adjustment I'll need to make before I (hopefully) get more comfortable with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Guys, I did it. I made it through the 3.5 hours of cutscenes masked as gameplay wrapped around the 30 minutes of button tutorials masked as gameplay. My thumb is sore from holding down A and I literally fell asleep twice during the wagon segment at the end, but I made it through with only a handful of breaks.

Random stuff:
* There's a menu option to make the button mash QTEs a hold and I think it generally makes them easier. Use this.
* It still controls like a Rockstar game, which is to say it hasn't really figured out cover or fine movements (into small doors, not falling off stuff, etc)
* The repeater needs an extra trigger pull to load the next round, which is intuitive if you have a brain disorder
* If you're waiting for something to happen and nothing happens then you need to move to another position to trip the next event trigger
E: * Oh, and LT pulling out your last used weapon would have been too easy. You need to fish around to pull your gun.
E: * Context-sensitive menus seem to have "pull your gun to scare a dude" mapped to the same button as "pull a gun and smoke a dude". These dead guys are super scared.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

1. I do have a 4K tv, so is it generally worth spending the extra money for either the Pro or the Xbox equivalent?
2. How huge of difference is there generally between the 4K systems and the baseline Xbox One and PS4
3. Which system is expecting to run the game better (base and 4K)?
4. Should I just wait till the holidays to get a system?

1. Whether it's worth it to you I can't answer, but in general Pro (or X/S) enabled games give you the option of either 4k or more frames. You'll always take the frames, and it's good.
2. Usually between something like a locked 30fps or 40-60fps
3. Xbox One X. It's currently the beefiest non-PC thing out there. I'll probably spend the bulk of my time playing on an S but I played through a few hours tonight on an X and it was pretty great at 4k. The PS4 has way better exclusives and overall is the correct choice, but for this specific game... yeah. It's the X.
4. Sales are good. Always do sales. This game is not the second coming and if you think it is then you're already committed so why are you reading this.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hot looting tip: hold the button and he'll automatically grab everything inside the cabinet or whatever you're digging through

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Hobo Clown posted:

Controls aren't super intuitive and it can be confusing trying to do the specific thing the game wants me to do. I just did the train robbery mission, and at the end there's 3 banker dudes that you can choose to spare or kill. I was going to let them live, but one guy won't get on the train. A prompt comes up that says "press R2 to aim your weapon", and as soon as I press R2 Arthur shoots the poor guy in the stomach, and then another prompt comes up warning me about how my actions affect my honor and how people react to me. Sorry dude!

Game is real pretty. Cinematic camera is a nice touch, especially since it seems like every mission I've done so far has about 5 minutes of horse riding and exposition before anything happens. Hoping the game opens up soon.

I think I figured this out. Were you holding L2/LT to have your gaze locked on one of them? If you're doing that and tap R2/RT you'll whip your gun out. If you're not and you press R2/RT you fire from the hip.

BTW, the controls those tip pages I've seen mentioned are actually detailed pretty heavily in the manual.

But I know we don't read those anymore. :3:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Someone mentioned that you can move from cover point to cover point but I can't figure out how, pls help (pspoor, standard fps controls)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Is there a place to read the manual on the internet, the app doesn't work with my phone

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Do you lose your weapons after Chapter 1? Tried checking my horse and nothing. Only have my pistol on me no rifle or bow.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mailer posted:

Guys, I did it. I made it through the 3.5 hours of cutscenes masked as gameplay wrapped around the 30 minutes of button tutorials masked as gameplay. My thumb is sore from holding down A and I literally fell asleep twice during the wagon segment at the end, but I made it through with only a handful of breaks.

Random stuff:
* There's a menu option to make the button mash QTEs a hold and I think it generally makes them easier. Use this.
* It still controls like a Rockstar game, which is to say it hasn't really figured out cover or fine movements (into small doors, not falling off stuff, etc)
* The repeater needs an extra trigger pull to load the next round, which is intuitive if you have a brain disorder
* If you're waiting for something to happen and nothing happens then you need to move to another position to trip the next event trigger

I had that last one happen to me once. I am not sure that bodes well.

Got to be honest, I wished I had read the Kotaku review before preloading. I mean, I respect that it is well made and it likely gets real good past the intro, but I am not sure if it is what I want right now, especially that I have several other games I could be actually completing. I did mostly like what I played, but I am not sure if I want to stick with it. Does that make sense?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

lets hang out posted:

Is there a place to read the manual on the internet, the app doesn't work with my phone

I'm finding the in-built thing in the menu to be pretty detailed.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

titties posted:

Someone mentioned that you can move from cover point to cover point but I can't figure out how, pls help (pspoor, standard fps controls)

Point your stick towards the cover you want to go to and hit X on XBox or Square on PS4.

That's in the manual, too.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Zaa Boogie posted:

I think I figured this out. Were you holding L2/LT to have your gaze locked on one of them? If you're doing that and tap R2/RT you'll whip your gun out. If you're not and you press R2/RT you fire from the hip.

BTW, the controls those tip pages I've seen mentioned are actually detailed pretty heavily in the manual.

But I know we don't read those anymore. :3:

I don't remember, but the prompt didn't mention anything but "hold R2 to aim weapon". I don't think it offered me the L2 options of "greet/intimidate".

I agree with the posters saying the loot animation takes way too long. It's only 6-7 seconds or so and I guess it adds some realism, but it's not something I want to do 20+ times after every gunfight. Thankfully it seems you seem to just hoover up dropped ammo by running past it.

In that early hunting tutorial mission, did anyone manage to kill the bear? I shot it a few times in the head before it took off at warp speed. Was wondering if I could've had a bonus if my aim had been better.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm finding the in-built thing in the menu to be pretty detailed.

I just want something I can read at work while I'm not at home with the game in front of me :(

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Unlucky7 posted:

Got to be honest, I wished I had read the Kotaku review before preloading. I mean, I respect that it is well made and it likely gets real good past the intro, but I am not sure if it is what I want right now, especially that I have several other games I could be actually completing. I did mostly like what I played, but I am not sure if I want to stick with it. Does that make sense?

RDR1 for me was very much a "welp I played everything else" game and I played it years after it came out. This is kinda the same, though that's mainly due to the release lull until early next year. I've seen enough on streams to know there's some cool poo poo I want to experience in there but the intro is terrible and gives you 100% of the janky bullshit without any of the fun bullshit. It hyper condenses every bad ~modern gaming~ trope into a small timeframe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

I had that last one happen to me once. I am not sure that bodes well.

These kind of open world games are a pretty specific thing and if you're not in the mood for it at the moment you can't really force yourself to enjoy it. I haven't replayed a Rockstar game for several years now so I definitely have the itch to just slow things down and immerse myself in a detailed world, as opposed to the faster paced more action oriented games I've played lately.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Skinned a legendary animal and left the pelt on my horse while I went somewhere in town and then the pelt disappeared. :(

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Can I tip my hat at passers by

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I think I already know the answer to this in my heart, but if I have GTA V on playstation, but RDR2 on my Xbone - can I do the challenges on PS4 and somehow transfer the unlocks to my xbone RDR2?

MrFlibble posted:

You need to link your game to your rockstar social club to unlock the weapons so my guess is that would probably work.
This doesn't appear to have worked - the challenge was completed prior to RDR2 dropping, and the gun is 65 gat dang dollars in RDR.

Open to suggestions, but I think it just doesn't work that way.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Advanced horse drifting. Almost multi track. My god.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Want perfect animal hides? Save up money for the Springfield rifle, add a medium scope to it and buy high velocity rounds.

Go to town on a heard of deer from the top of a cliff then head down and pick up 5 high quality skins to sell. Just use the binoculars to scope out the three star animals.

Go find that gold bar for the cash to grab it long before you're given the lancaster rifle in a mission.

Edit:

VVVV I have shaved once in 10 hours of gameplay. Bathed once. Oiled the weapons twice. It is simple stuff which takes no time anyway, when visiting the gunsmith get him to repair the weapons for like 2 dollars.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 26, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Initial gameplay info is scaring me. This game looks like it could be the most annoying meter management game since the Sims, what with having to repair and upkeep literally everything all the time. Clean your weapons! Look for them, find them, and pick them up win the game makes you drop them or else you’ll lose them! Change your clothes or else suffer environmental debuffs! Shave your face and cut your hair! Pet your horse! Comb your horse! Feed your horse! Admire the nuts on your horse! Eat food all the time in mini-cut scenes! Smoke cigarettes! All the time!

Is this the case or is it not a big deal?

Can you at least turn some of it off? I’m guessing no. All this fiddly survivalist management poo poo can be fun when you want it, but when you don’t, good God.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 26, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I shot a deer and brought the carcass back. I donated the carcass and it disappeared but I didn't see the guy skinning it or see anything happen, though it was night time. Do i need to sleep in this game?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
lol at Bill’s real name being Marion

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreatGreen posted:

Initial gameplay info is scaring me. This game looks like it could be the most annoying meter management game since the Sims, what with having to repair and upkeep literally everything all the time. Clean your weapons! Look for them, find them, and pick them up win the game makes you drop them or else you’ll lose them! Change your clothes or else suffer environmental debuffs! Shave your face and cut your hair! Pet your horse! Comb your horse! Feed your horse! Admire the nuts on your horse! Eat food all the time in mini-cut scenes! Smoke cigarettes! All the time!

Is this the case or is it not a big deal?

Can you at least turn some of it off? I’m guessing no. All this fiddly survivalist management poo poo can be fun when you want it, but when you don’t, good God.

You can ignore it for the most part. Your guns won't fire as well as a clean gun, but its not noticeable. There's polish for it too that give em buffs. It's mostly rpg like temp buff/debuffs rather than a hard-core survival level of harshness. So you and your horse won't starve and your gun won't explode.

edit: Also your guns and your hat both teleport back to your horse if you misplace em

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Think this will be my first time actually turning off the map and hud in a game and immersing

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

the_american_dream posted:

Think this will be my first time actually turning off the map and hud in a game and immersing

:same: I run my iPad as a map and enjoy the screen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like a lot of the complaints about a “slow pace” are from people who are looking for a fast action game instead of a slow, immersive, story and character-based game.

Which isn’t a problem, but you’re looking in the wrong place. It’s like being upset that your filet mignon took 45 minutes to come out when you thought it would just be 30 seconds like a Big Mac.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Can I tip my hat at passers by

M'lady.

Also just lol if you're not admiring your horses nuts all the time.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Shoehead posted:

You can ignore it for the most part. Your guns won't fire as well as a clean gun, but its not noticeable. There's polish for it too that give em buffs. It's mostly rpg like temp buff/debuffs rather than a hard-core survival level of harshness. So you and your horse won't starve and your gun won't explode.

edit: Also your guns and your hat both teleport back to your horse if you misplace em

Thanks, that’s pretty reassuring.

Can you lose your horse or is it like RDR1 where it’s always just a whistle away?

What happens when your horse dies?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GreatGreen posted:

Can you lose your horse or is it like RDR1 where it’s always just a whistle away?

You can pretty much always call your horse with a whistle. If they die, that horse is permanently dead, you'll have to buy or break a new one, and all the time you spent bonding and improving its stats are lost. There's an item you can use on an injured horse to keep it alive, but that doesn't do much against it getting shot in the face during a gunfight (You can also scare your horse away from a fight if you're worried about crossfire)

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i drove all the way home on my lunch break just to play for a couple minutes

also because i wanted to catch back up to where i left off last night since toggling supersampling on and off will close the application and reset whichever mission you're on

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreatGreen posted:

If you are out of earshot it won't come. But it's always on your map. same with your weapons and hat. You gotta go get them.

No idea about horse death, though I know they can die. I've managed to carry some horse meds on me at all time to res my horse. I've actually tried to shoot my old horse and it didn't let me. But enemy fire and riding off cliffs are going to give you one dead horse.

Its weird though, I like being nice to my mare, she's got all my stuff. And Morgan gives her little neck pats when she's spooked by gunfire.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

chitoryu12 posted:

It seems like a lot of the complaints about a “slow pace” are from people who are looking for a fast action game instead of a slow, immersive, story and character-based game.

Which isn’t a problem, but you’re looking in the wrong place. It’s like being upset that your filet mignon took 45 minutes to come out when you thought it would just be 30 seconds like a Big Mac.

No I think a lot of people are complaining about the deliberately slow movement in the game. However, the opening is fine but it's still needlessly long, but worse of all it's not particularly interesting. RDR got the info across a lot quicker while still being 'slow', arguably because Marston is a more immediately interesting protagonist.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

rap music posted:

i drove all the way home on my lunch break just to play for a couple minutes

also because i wanted to catch back up to where i left off last night since toggling supersampling on and off will close the application and reset whichever mission you're on

Is that an option on PS4 Pro? I tried to find the typical resolution vs framerate option but didn't see any.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

You can pretty much always call your horse with a whistle. If they die, that horse is permanently dead, you'll have to buy or break a new one, and all the time you spent bonding and improving its stats are lost. There's an item you can use on an injured horse to keep it alive, but that doesn't do much against it getting shot in the face during a gunfight (You can also scare your horse away from a fight if you're worried about crossfire)

Wonderful! Liability horses have always worked well. Just look back to Elder Scrolls Oblivion when your horse would actively try to walk between you and whatever combatant you were facing.

So I guess the next question is how easy is it to send your horse away in the middle of a gun fight? Is there a hotkey you can just press whenever, or do you have to stop engaging the people shooting at you, turn around and look at your horse, then press the “gwon now, git!” button while being shot at?

Edit: oh poo poo, you have to keep up with your horse manually, along with your guns and hat?

Yeah, gently caress that. Having to keep up with your horses was dogshit in Breath of the Wild, it’s going to be the same here. Hell, it was so bad in Breath of the Wild that Nintendo patched in a fix to bring the system back to parity with literally every other game in the universe with any kind of mount system.

Guess I’ll wait for the PC version and mods that fix that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 26, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't mind a slow-paced game in terms of story and worldbuilding - in fact I love that poo poo. I do mind clumsy and unresponsive controls, which make even the moment to moment gameplay slower and clunkier than I'd prefer. But still, I'll persevere and I'm sure I'll get to grips with it eventually.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

androo posted:

Is that an option on PS4 Pro? I tried to find the typical resolution vs framerate option but didn't see any.

yeah it's in the PS4's display settings

I don't know what people are on about the game looks amazing

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If your horse dies in the middle of nowhere do you lose all the poo poo it was carrying?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Trip report: game looks great on base ps4 and I can pet dogs. 10/10

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Finally found time to pick up the game and now it's installing. And I have to go in 50 minutes, fml. But tomorrow I swear I'll finally play RDR II!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

How do I use legendary pelts? I've got one on my horse and I'm at the trapper, but the only option is to sell it. I want to make cool clothes :(

Edit:

Ahh, you sell it so the trapper has it in his inventory, then you can have him make clothes.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 26, 2018