Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
drat. This one was being made by the Gunslinger Stratos studio so I thought there might be something more to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has there ever been a good arena fighter? And if not, what is the stumbling block that developers can't get over

Power Stone. Devs went wrong by no longer releasing Dreamcast games

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

drat. This one was being made by the Gunslinger Stratos studio so I thought there might be something more to it.

The matches don't seem to take 15 minutes at least, but overall it does look like a pretty well-made anime arena fighter, but it's still just another arena fighter.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Xand_Man posted:

Is it worth $10?

Thanks to the recent patch, the shifting random input lag now only has a range of 4-6 frames instead of 5-8 frames! Also note that $10 doesn't include any of the 18 DLC characters (who can be found for $6 each, unless you want them in the costumes they used to have in the prior SF games, in which case you need to get the premium alternate costumes).

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has there ever been a good arena fighter? And if not, what is the stumbling block that developers can't get over

Virtual On and Power Stone are good, but the later VOs (after Oratorio Tangram) suffer from devs trying to fit microtransactions and 2v2 into the series. The problems with each arena fighter are compound, and stumbling blocks range from "none of the people in charge of making the game care about mechanical balance" to "they don't know how to make characters play differently" to "every 1v1 game made after 2005 except MvC3 is way too slow" to "making 3D movement good without making it too hard for other players to hit you is too hard if you don't know what you're doing"

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 26, 2018

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gundam vs is pretty good

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Smoking Crow posted:

Gundam vs is pretty good

yeah gvs is still too slow but it's the closest thing to a good modern arena fighter that you can buy in the western hemisphere

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
power stone is rear end and I have no idea where the fondness for it comes from

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I’m calling the cops

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
shrek super slam

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jesus Christ

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

pokken is awesome but its only an arena fighter half the time. that might be why

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Don't troll please.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Power Stone 2 with 4 players is pure joy.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Broken Loose posted:

"every 1v1 game made after 2005 except MvC3 is way too slow"

bb cross tag kicks rear end. I don’t know if it’s relevant to “arena fighters” but if mvc3 qualifies it definitely does

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Power Stone. Devs went wrong by no longer releasing Dreamcast games
I feel devs had already gone wrong with Power Stone 2.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Something about Dreamcast man, miss that little fucker.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Still thinkin after all these years

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I feel like there were a few indie Power Stone clones kicking around for a minute... Last Fight and one or two others that never went anywhere.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:frogout:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I feel like there were a few indie Power Stone clones kicking around for a minute... Last Fight and one or two others that never went anywhere.

Combat Core was pretty fun. The dev was a nice dude too.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

b_d posted:

bb cross tag kicks rear end. I don’t know if it’s relevant to “arena fighters” but if mvc3 qualifies it definitely does

"Every 1v1 game" was meant to be taken literally, but the real reason I didn't list blaztag is because I haven't yet played it. The fact that they took walking out gives me hope for the future of movement in videogames.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

dissidia 2012.

gg overture if it counts

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

darealkooky posted:

dissidia 2012.

gg overture if it counts

sparing the phone users by putting this in timg tags, but here you go

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

DFFAC and GVS are good, but I can't think of anything else really. I'm still hoping EXVS2 gets a home port though, because GVS PS4 isn't doing it for me as much as EXVS though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

"Every 1v1 game" was meant to be taken literally, but the real reason I didn't list blaztag is because I haven't yet played it. The fact that they took walking out gives me hope for the future of movement in videogames.

Quit being a gut drat coward and play

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

earthbound isn't a fighting game

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

The movement in Shrek super slam is immaculate

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Reiley posted:

Nah.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Reiley posted:

Reiley, are you going to loving tell me that Nintendo is going to bring Ultimate back to Melee speed with a straight face? Don't be a shill, man.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Reiley, are you going to loving tell me that Nintendo is going to bring Ultimate back to Melee speed with a straight face? Don't be a shill, man.

Turn on the news sometime dumbass, the future is now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
assflash newshole, Ultimate is fast as hell

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

making my shits wavedash to keep all available options during bowel movement

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

DoctorWhat posted:

assflash newshole, Ultimate is fast as hell

citation needed because the first video result looks like smash 4 but new ui and all the dlc is unlocked

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Victory Position posted:

sparing the phone users by putting this in timg tags, but here you go

what a weird chart, they're all just sephiroth

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Once again I am attacked for speaking the truth

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Broken Loose posted:

citation needed because the first video result looks like smash 4 but new ui and all the dlc is unlocked
basically everything is faster, especially landing lag on aerials, there's more shieldstun and perfect shielding is harder+riskier
e: plus dodging was nerfed in general. defensive options are worse, offensive options are faster

also literally every character who has ever been in a smash game is returning plus weird newcomers like ridley and k rool

Phantasium posted:

what a weird chart, they're all just sephiroth
where's butz

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 27, 2018

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

power stone is a game that probably very few ppl have played in the past 15 years, enjoyed when they were younger, and have fond memories of

i don't think there's been much consideration for how good of a game it is when played competitively. i know there have been tournaments for the game but it just wasn't ever much of a presence in the tournament scene for fighting games at all as far as i know

whether or not power stone's competitive viability or how interesting it is as a competitive game in general dont really matter too much for most peopl ei think though, its just a classic game and there haven't been too many games like it since

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

IronicDongz posted:

basically everything is faster, especially landing lag on aerials, there's more shieldstun and perfect shielding is harder+riskier
e: plus dodging was nerfed in general. defensive options are worse, offensive options are faster

also literally every character who has ever been in a smash game is returning plus weird newcomers like ridley and k rool
where's butz

characters move faster in basically every way, but throws are harder to follow up on as a rule and attacks still have the annoying habit smash 4 introduced of sending people toward the upper corners of the screen (aka where they're most likely to survive). so faster in some ways but not in others.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Somebody talk me into/out of getting the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

anyone tried that new lethal league yet.