Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Luminous Cow posted:

I bought apocalypse and started playing this again. I havent played since 1.5, so I have some newbie questions. I'm playing as the Commonwealth of Man that comes with the game because the other humans looked boring.

I went to war with my dickhead neighbors fairly early because they were super aggressive and doing a big build up and were not human. I absolutely crushed them and occupied their home planet, and got all my demands. Unfortunately, this means I have disgusting xenos in my empire on a planet I don't want. How do I get rid of it? Can I just bomb it from orbit until it's dead? Is there an abandon planet button hidden somewhere? As of right now it's rotting away in a sector by itself.

I researched genetic engineering and it says I have a point to spend but I can't figure out how to do it. How?

What does the Set Default Rights button on the Species screen do? Is that just for any xenos that come in, or does it effect my superior humans too?

My goal for xenos is extermination. What's the best way to go about it? I have base game plus utopia and apocalypse. No story packs or other DLC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you have xenos in your empire you do not want then you need to purge them. There are two levels of purging - displacement and extermination. Displacement takes *much* longer but I'm pretty certain there isn't a galaxy wide opinion malus associated with it. Extermination goes faster but pretty much everyone in the galaxy will hate your guts for pretty much the rest of the game.

I don't have the game in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you set the species citizenship type to purge and then lower on the same screen set the purge type to what you want.

If you can't purge for whatever reason because the option is grayed out the game should tell you exactly why you can't pick that option if you hover over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

(This is normally a colony event, I fired it on Earth by console)

"I told the committee we should have filled Agartha with concrete when we had the chance!"

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

If early snaking now directly impacts early mineral or energy income it's kind of a huge deal.

Empire size only affects tech and tradition costs, doesn't it?

Luminous Cow posted:

I bought apocalypse and started playing this again. I havent played since 1.5, so I have some newbie questions. I'm playing as the Commonwealth of Man that comes with the game because the other humans looked boring.

I went to war with my dickhead neighbors fairly early because they were super aggressive and doing a big build up and were not human. I absolutely crushed them and occupied their home planet, and got all my demands. Unfortunately, this means I have disgusting xenos in my empire on a planet I don't want. How do I get rid of it? Can I just bomb it from orbit until it's dead? Is there an abandon planet button hidden somewhere? As of right now it's rotting away in a sector by itself.

I researched genetic engineering and it says I have a point to spend but I can't figure out how to do it. How?

What does the Set Default Rights button on the Species screen do? Is that just for any xenos that come in, or does it effect my superior humans too?

My goal for xenos is extermination. What's the best way to go about it? I have base game plus utopia and apocalypse. No story packs or other DLC.

Go to your species tab, and set the species rights of the xenos you conquered to undesirables. If you have Utopia you'll be able to choose between several different forms of genocide, from simple extermination (fastest) to working them to death to eating them, or just neutering them all and letting them die off. Once the planet has no pops wit will be abandoned, though I'd recommend resettling a human pop there and keeping it.

Default rights are for any new species you acquire, I think.

Choose the human species in the species tab, then click the create template button. Once you've made the new template you can then apply it to pops, creating a new special project.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Luminous Cow posted:

In your policies screen is a bit about purges. If it's set to allow purges go to the species menu. Select the filthy xenos and select an appropriate purge.

From the same screen click on your glorious perfect humans. On the left select "create template". Make an even more glorious type of human. Or several. Save your template, select it, click "apply template", pick some humans to improve. This creates a timed special project in your special projects screen. Go to that screen and start it.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Ok great. I had already set them to exterminate but I don't think it's working? Will it work on a planet alone in a sector with no human pops on it? I dunno I'll keep an eye on it. I'm not going to keep the planet because it's a small planet with 40% habitability and I've been playing pretty tight with my colonization. Now that the war is over I'm working on infrastructure and fortifying my eastern border. There's some pacifists over there so I don't think they can declare war but they have a Cassus Belli on me so I'm building up defenses just in case.

So far everyone is either equivalent or inferior to me so I don't feel too much in danger, especially since I focused so hard on ship building techs and can just poop out fleets like nothing. Now I'm expanding west to gobble up more minerals and special resources and to gain an avenue to come round the back of some other xenos who have committed the crime of existing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Normal pacifists can declare ideology war on you. Only fanatic pacifists are forced into defensive only wars.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Luminous Cow posted:

Ok great. I had already set them to exterminate but I don't think it's working?

If it is working the pops on the planet will have some kind of a flag in the lower right (? - I think) corner of their portraits that says they are being exterminated. If they don't you've done something wrong. Hovering over this flag will also tell you the date the extermination will be completed for that pop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a reason non-pacifists can't declare ideology war? I understand that maybe the AI isn't smart enough to make these choices, but it's weird how as a player if you are set to non-restricted wars it locks you out of ideology war. You need to change your policy, which then locks you to that policy for 10 years. So often I just want to go to war to change someone's ideology or lop off some vassals, but don't want to be locked into that type of war only.

Always been curious why this design choice was made.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Rynoto posted:

Normal pacifists can declare ideology war on you. Only fanatic pacifists are forced into defensive only wars.

OK cool I'll continuing fortifying my eastern border while I expand then. Pretty sure they're not fanatical pacifists. I'd have to look again

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

Yesss a CK2 and Event Horizon reference all in one. Please keep doing this,.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So here's a thing for everyone who loves playing a federation.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1055844936451588099

It's to punish you for liking federations.

Also Wiz, it's still not to late to get an Andrew Ryan advisor.

Hmm, Federations with a Magacorp member might be interesting.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Thyrork posted:

"I told the committee we should have filled Agartha with concrete when we had the chance!"

If I have time I want to do a hollow planet event too...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A Globus Cassus megaproject would be fun. Stretches the meaning of hollow earth to its limits though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

If you could somehow work out a society that collapsed because they became so obsessed about castration that governments of the planet needed to expand more and more of their civil servants to keep track of who deserves to be castrated or not to the point of societal collapse...

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know any good/funny/chill Stellaris streamers? I considered checking out A_Spec, but i saw some stuff he posted here and there and he seemed extremely full off himself there so i didn't bother. I just want to relax with someone whos chill, wellspoken and not too far down the twitch/social media influencer rabbit hole.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wiz posted:

That's not really accurate with the new empire size mechanics.

How much would an early game empire size need to be multiplied by in order to be significant? There's no way the penalty could be too harsh in the early game because nobody is going to have a terribly cohesive border and it'd have to be severe enough to make me not want to guarantee 20 or 30 systems for later expansion. That's a pretty big prize, so anything short of completely crippling your empire and it'd probably be worth it.

I like that it'll no doubt give more strategic choices about where to expand to after the initial goldrush though. You'll want to focus on closing gaps to optimally reduce your expansion penalty which will lead to some interesting decisions.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Chalks posted:

How much would an early game empire size need to be multiplied by in order to be significant? There's no way the penalty could be too harsh in the early game because nobody is going to have a terribly cohesive border and it'd have to be severe enough to make me not want to guarantee 20 or 30 systems for later expansion. That's a pretty big prize, so anything short of completely crippling your empire and it'd probably be worth it.

I like that it'll no doubt give more strategic choices about where to expand to after the initial goldrush though. You'll want to focus on closing gaps to optimally reduce your expansion penalty which will lead to some interesting decisions.

From what I've seen on the preview videos empire size penalty is almost non-existant at the start anyway so I doubt this will do more than a small research penalty while I rush to secure as many choke points as possible. I guess this is a good thing because ever since the hyperlane constellation patch the best thing to do in the early game is just rush forward and snake to secure as much future territory as you can.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nickiepoo posted:

Well that finally explains the giant maintenance-free fleet you can get.

I've banged on about it before but all of my exterminator games end because of the AI having federation fleets suddenly appearing and smashing me to pieces because I can't deal with 160k as a single stack.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know any good/funny/chill Stellaris streamers? I considered checking out A_Spec, but i saw some stuff he posted here and there and he seemed extremely full off himself there so i didn't bother. I just want to relax with someone whos chill, wellspoken and not too far down the twitch/social media influencer rabbit hole.

Aside from the actual Paradox streams, I've yet to find a streamer I've adored. Quill is somehow boring when playing the game, and Aspec is good for his spoiler series of various bits but I can't wholly disagree with your point.

It's possible that the game doesn't lend itself well to traditional solitary-person-in-bedroom talks about what they're doing, I think because the game has such a strong narrative focus. DF is famous for its SSLPs, not VLPs.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Aethernet posted:

Aside from the actual Paradox streams, I've yet to find a streamer I've adored. Quill is somehow boring when playing the game, and Aspec is good for his spoiler series of various bits but I can't wholly disagree with your point.

It's possible that the game doesn't lend itself well to traditional solitary-person-in-bedroom talks about what they're doing, I think because the game has such a strong narrative focus. DF is famous for its SSLPs, not VLPs.

Yeah, i've spent a while looking around too and i think you're right about that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Aethernet posted:

It's possible that the game doesn't lend itself well to traditional solitary-person-in-bedroom talks about what they're doing

It's not really a super deep game. The victory condition is 'Own most of the stuff, possibly as part of a stuff-owning team'. If your actual neighbors aren't actively punishing you for owning insufficient stuff, the AI will spawn angry numbers in boxes to come punish you for insufficient stuff-having at mid and late game.

Stellaris really needs to steal the multiple paths to victory that Civ has had for a decade or two.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dongattack posted:

Yeah, i've spent a while looking around too and i think you're right about that.

The LPer "Many A True Nerd" just finished a Stellaris Let's Play earlier this year, and hes done some livestreams. He usually cones back to the game every time they make a major update. It's also kind of fun to watch him develop as a player from his first Let's Play, where he had no idea what he was doing to the most recent one...where he still has no idea what he's doing, but is much more confident about it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Darkrenown posted:

You wonderful, wonderful person. :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

If you could somehow work out a society that collapsed because they became so obsessed about castration that governments of the planet needed to expand more and more of their civil servants to keep track of who deserves to be castrated or not to the point of societal collapse...
This may be relevant to your interests.

Staltran posted:

Empire size only affects tech and tradition costs, doesn't it?
That we know of :unsmigghh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bedurndurn posted:

It's not really a super deep game. The victory condition is 'Own most of the stuff, possibly as part of a stuff-owning team'. If your actual neighbors aren't actively punishing you for owning insufficient stuff, the AI will spawn angry numbers in boxes to come punish you for insufficient stuff-having at mid and late game.

Stellaris really needs to steal the multiple paths to victory that Civ has had for a decade or two.
From previous discussions Wiz seems not to like non-laser-based game resolutions. e: though corps seem to be a big step toward more non-laser-based empire interactions.

Chalks posted:

I don't think the intention would be "Too Harsh" but rather "A penalty in early game growth commensurate with the improvement in mid-game expansion". Trade-offs are good.

It also means in multiplayer if your opponent outsnakes you you have the consolation prize of not suffering <mystery penalties>, which may be enough for you to have a decent shot at just taking whatever they snaked to.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 26, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bedurndurn posted:

I'd honestly hate that. Stellaris feels like a game which you make your own goals and watch them come to ruin when death arrives in 2400+

:shrug: Put a "Congrats, you survived the endgame crisis! Here's your score." screen instead of having victories to strive towards.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i would like to have more ways to play that encourage not conquering people, but which still let you do it occasionally unlike inward perfection

i always end up sprawling because, well, it's the same calculus as any paradox game - any moment that you aren't at war, you're wasting an opportunity to get more stuff while denying that stuff to others. megacorps seem really cool in this way, being both encouraged to stay small and having a parallel territory structure so that you can still interact with people all over the galaxy. my only concern is whether subsidiaries will be good enough that you still feel driven to always be conquering (hopefully not)

some kind of manpower system would also be good - in eu4 or v2 you can overreach in a way that you can't fix with raw economics by expending too much manpower, while your fleet is entirely an economic concern in stellaris. manpower seems like it would be dead easy to mod in with the new resource system though

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 26, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

Is there a version for machine empires? Having them react to this illogical nonsense would be hilarious :v:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Jazerus posted:

i would like to have more ways to play that encourage not conquering people, but which still let you do it occasionally unlike inward perfection

If I remember right from my last Inward Perfection run, you can claim and conquer systems, just only while you are already at war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Luminous Cow posted:

Ok great. I had already set them to exterminate but I don't think it's working? Will it work on a planet alone in a sector with no human pops on it? I dunno I'll keep an eye on it. I'm not going to keep the planet because it's a small planet with 40% habitability and I've been playing pretty tight with my colonization. Now that the war is over I'm working on infrastructure and fortifying my eastern border. There's some pacifists over there so I don't think they can declare war but they have a Cassus Belli on me so I'm building up defenses just in case.

So far everyone is either equivalent or inferior to me so I don't feel too much in danger, especially since I focused so hard on ship building techs and can just poop out fleets like nothing. Now I'm expanding west to gobble up more minerals and special resources and to gain an avenue to come round the back of some other xenos who have committed the crime of existing.

Do you have the guys you're trying to purge set to Undesirables in species rights? I think if you're not a Fanatic Purifier the default is slavery or something, and the Purge Policy doesn't actually come into effect.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Epicurius posted:

The LPer "Many A True Nerd" just finished a Stellaris Let's Play earlier this year, and hes done some livestreams. He usually cones back to the game every time they make a major update. It's also kind of fun to watch him develop as a player from his first Let's Play, where he had no idea what he was doing to the most recent one...where he still has no idea what he's doing, but is much more confident about it.

I really like Many A True Nerd. He doesn't make me feel like an idiot and I can actually keep up with what he's doing.

Also, I like long-format videos without a lot of cuts that span a series over months. Good stuff.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Okay, Wiz. I've come to the conclusion that the only proper model for an intergalactic crime syndicate is to emulate the accomplishments of the glorious leader of Shadaloo. How closely will I be able to do this?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ExtraNoise posted:

I really like Many A True Nerd. He doesn't make me feel like an idiot and I can actually keep up with what he's doing.

Also, I like long-format videos without a lot of cuts that span a series over months. Good stuff.

Me too. I like watching his stuff even when I have no interest in what he's playing. He's in the middle right now of a twice a week CK2 game that's just fun.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 27, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thyrork posted:

I'd honestly hate that. Stellaris feels like a game which you make your own goals and watch them come to ruin when death arrives in 2400+

:shrug: Put a "Congrats, you survived the endgame crisis! Here's your score." screen instead of having victories to strive towards.

I tend to hit the conquer victory condition before I ever come across the end game crisis :v:

I really should turn that date down, I guess.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Excuse me. What the hell is this? I can't stop reading it, but it's so dumb and poorly drawn.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't get much time to catch up on the diaries themselves, so I watched a couple recap videos of the incoming changes of 2.2 and, well...

...Oh my goodness. Is there any system or aspect of gameplay they're afraid to overhaul? I'm impressed.

Super dig the idea of exploiting more starbases for trading purposes (so you actually have to think about the cap), and not having your fleet just chill at starbases forever.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So here's a thing for everyone who loves playing a federation.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1055844936451588099

It's to punish you for liking federations.

Also Wiz, it's still not to late to get an Andrew Ryan advisor.

Some things can be really jarring. I was not prepared to see popehat (Ken White) himself retweeting this tweet and saying he loves Stellaris, after following him for like a year due to his excellent lawsplayners for why Trump won't win this and that case, why Michael Cohen is hosed, why Avenatti is an idiot, etc.

It warms my heart that Stellaris is a game for everybody :3:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Palemdromes posted:

Excuse me. What the hell is this? I can't stop reading it, but it's so dumb and poorly drawn.

Thorsby is a lunatic who's batshit insane logic loops around into totally making sense in the end, who makes comics that are all exceptionally hideous looking and stupidly entertaining.

Hitmen for Destiny has a whole thing with a boat and it's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Seriously, they're all worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ImDupes/status/1055261572157845505