Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

My argument was that anime dubs are effectively a method of marketing a show to make it more appealing to a particular market. This doesn't deny any artistic merit to the act of dubbing, but that is the reason it's done, and OP dubbing can be an aspect of that

What you're missing is that the OP's and ED's generally have their own independent artistic merit. The vast majority of them are tracks by popular Japanese bands rather than something written specifically for the show, so you're getting the performance of a big-name band cheapened with a bunch of random C-tier American guys belting out a cover. And if you check out most English covers of anime OP's on youtube, it's not hard to see why they don't work at a professional production level as they fumble lines to try and keep the lyrics in-line with the rhythm.

There are of course a few good ones out there though, I'm quite fond of Jonathon Young's various renditions, and that's not to say there aren't shows where it'd work when the OP's actually written for the show itself (Cells at Work, for example, especially when it's a pretty simple song), but by-and-large, it's not to the benefit of the show.

Augus posted:

YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE OF GUMGUM

God dammit, I don't even watch One Piece and it's stuck back in my head :argh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What you're missing is that the OP's and ED's generally have their own independent artistic merit. The vast majority of them are tracks by popular Japanese bands rather than something written specifically for the show, so you're getting the performance of a big-name band cheapened with a bunch of random C-tier American guys belting out a cover. And if you check out most English covers of anime OP's on youtube, it's not hard to see why they don't work at a professional production level as they fumble lines to try and keep the lyrics in-line with the rhythm.

There are of course a few good ones out there though, I'm quite fond of Jonathon Young's various renditions, and that's not to say there aren't shows where it'd work when the OP's actually written for the show itself (Cells at Work, for example, especially when it's a pretty simple song), but by-and-large, it's not to the benefit of the show.

I don't think it's fair to compare an amateur fanwork on youtube to the work of professional translators. Yeah, songs are difficult to translate for a variety of reasons namely rhythm. But that doesn't merit a translated song as inherently having less artistic merit anymore than the dub of the anime itself has any artistic merit. You seemed to be arguing that the act of dubbing an OP is a cynical marketing move as if that it isn't such a move to get a band on a record label the same executives happen to have a stake in to do the opening from your show in hopes of getting more of that sweet, sweet otaku money

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

I don't think it's fair to compare an amateur fanwork on youtube to the work of professional translators.

There have been shoddily-translated songs in professional anime dubs over the years, that is not exclusively in the domain of amateurs.

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

You seemed to be arguing that the act of dubbing an OP is a cynical marketing move as if that it isn't such a move to get a band on a record label the same executives happen to have a stake in to do the opening from your show in hopes of getting more of that sweet, sweet otaku money.

Yes and that sweet, sweet, otaku money is exactly what they're still targeting in the rest of the world. Again; anime hasn't been mainstream aside from a brief stretch in the early/mid-00's around the Ghibli films.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love that Jenny has also seen Paranormal Home Inspectors because yea that was such a beautiful trainwreck and it's shamefully unknown to many who haven't had drunken Netflix binges.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There have been shoddily-translated songs in professional anime dubs over the years, that is not exclusively in the domain of amateurs.

Yes and that sweet, sweet, otaku money is exactly what they're still targeting in the rest of the world. Again; anime hasn't been mainstream aside from a brief stretch in the early/mid-00's around the Ghibli films.

Yes and???

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anime hasn't been mainstream since a brief glimpse in the early/mid-00's

Anime's more mainstream than it's probably ever been right now :confused:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Anime's more mainstream than it's probably ever been right now :confused:

the medium as a whole definitely is anyway

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

the medium as a whole definitely is anyway

The medium definitely is, individual shows notsomuch.

Your point seemed to be they should dub these popular songs shoddily in English because people might like it that way, even though they're chasing the wallets of people who are guaranteed to detest them.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The medium definitely is, individual shows notsomuch.

Your point seemed to be they should dub these popular songs shoddily in English because people might like it that way, even though they're chasing the wallets of people who are guaranteed to detest them.

No?? My point was mostly that I liked them and wish more shows had them, while acknowledging that the majority of reasons to do so are based in marketing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

No?? My point was mostly that I liked them and wish more shows had them, while acknowledging that the majority of reasons to do so are based in marketing

Fair enough, my bad :shrug:.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

anime? more like banime.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Welp, that was the dumbest argument yet in this thread.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

I apologise

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

That Playboy article Jenny Nicholson wrote has some real choice quotes like

Jenny Nicholson posted:

Like, how Pinocchio is a carnival of fear vaguely in support of the idea of being a good boy. 

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I’d rather watch a show about home inspection than ghost hunting. Costly home damage is a lot scarier to find.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bar Crow posted:

I’d rather watch a show about home inspection than ghost hunting. Costly home damage is a lot scarier to find.
If you haven't seen it yet, we had a Groverhouse esque saga involving a bathtub on SA this year (maybe later 2017?)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zedd posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, we had a Groverhouse esque saga involving a bathtub on SA this year (maybe later 2017?)

Haha the guy that cut out supports in his floor for a bigger tub right?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Yup.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

That's not even remotely true and you know it.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

Even better: for a sunken shower pan that he was going to fill with rocks and then put the tub on top of.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

Even better: for a sunken shower pan that he was going to fill with rocks and then put the tub on top of.

what?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

a cartoon duck posted:

That's not even remotely true and you know it.

OK, revised: It's the dumbest subject for an argument.

At least it was something new, I'll give it that.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

OK, revised: It's the dumbest subject for an argument.

At least it was something new, I'll give it that.

reminde rthat lornekates meltdown was in this thread

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I know Linkara doesn't get posted here much since his content is more in the mold of "classic" Channel Awesome, but he's celebrating the 10th anniversary of his channel today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYHJoZPNWW4

He'll be hosting a livestream starting at 1 PM Central time (about an hour after this post) with past episodes, Jackbox games, and the premier of his 10th anniversary episode at 7 PM.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I remember there was a Linkara video years back that started by emulating his beginning style, before he eschewed it for the style he had adopted. I was kinda sad when he started going back to his shouty voice because he would be so much easier to listen to if he just used a normal speaking voice.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgGEdNXhWTw

Neil Breen and Neil Breen recap Nightbeast, a Don Dohler film that was also covered by RLM years ago.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Reminder that lornekates meltdown was in this thread

They still weren't wrong. :shrug:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

They still weren't wrong. :shrug:

yes but the inciting drama was really dumb

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

rudecyrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgGEdNXhWTw

Neil Breen and Neil Breen recap Nightbeast, a Don Dohler film that was also covered by RLM years ago.

Not even a minute in yet and I'm super glad this exists. More channels need to celebrate Hallobreen. :allears:

...even though this isn't a Neil Breen film.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God dammit, I don't even watch One Piece and it's stuck back in my head :argh:.

Of course it did, it isn’t one of the greatest TV Openings of all time for nothing.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It feels nice to have my love of that stupid rap validated by others.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I maintain to this day that despite the obviously cynical motivation behind a lot of their work, a lot of aspects of 4kids dubs are charming, and they did good openings. They also apparently paid VAs well.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

He cut a six foot long strip out of the top of four engineered supports (wooden I beams) so that he could put in a shower pan full of rocks that would be flush with the tile floor, and that was going to be the base for his new tub. Not only did he do over $30,000 in damage to his house, he spent days arguing that cutting the tops off his joists was no big deal because he did some math.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

FoldableHuman posted:

He cut a six foot long strip out of the top of four engineered supports (wooden I beams) so that he could put in a shower pan full of rocks that would be flush with the tile floor, and that was going to be the base for his new tub. Not only did he do over $30,000 in damage to his house, he spent days arguing that cutting the tops off his joists was no big deal because he did some math.

Don't forget how he said his motivation for doing the remodel was to make his house more appealing for :females: and then several women showed up in the thread to tell him how terrible his design was from their perspective.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

I maintain to this day that despite the obviously cynical motivation behind a lot of their work, a lot of aspects of 4kids dubs are charming, and they did good openings. They also apparently paid VAs well.

They were also by all accounts very kind to Madeleine Blaustein (the voice of Meowth among others), who came out as a trans woman and transitioned during her time working for 4kids.

I don’t enjoy a lot of their work in Pokemon (which was one of their better dubs on account of starting from a show that was aimed for the same target demographic in both countries), but that’s more because of my dislike of particular voice talents in the show. And the movie dubs. And the Chronicles dub.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 26, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Here is Groverbath if you have archives/goldmine.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

what were the rock supposed to do????

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

It feels nice to have my love of that stupid rap validated by others.

The Dragon Ball GT rap theme was incredible, even if the show was majority bad. Even now, I can't help but grin like an idiot at that song.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I forgot to post Mark Brown's video about Mega Man 11's level design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYxHMZX6lN8

edit:

lmao