Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's possible to freeze beef stew like that? How long does it keep? Every mealprep beef stew recipe I've seen says the mealprep part is just putting poo poo in a freezer bag and then hucking it in a slow cooker after thawing it

edit: I guess adding onto that, what are y'all's favorite sites for finding these recipes, because all the ones I find are paleo-vegan-gluten-thigh-blasting poo poo and despite being in college, I don't need to be on that strict of a diet yet

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Spaced God posted:

It's possible to freeze beef stew like that? How long does it keep? Every mealprep beef stew recipe I've seen says the mealprep part is just putting poo poo in a freezer bag and then hucking it in a slow cooker after thawing it

edit: I guess adding onto that, what are y'all's favorite sites for finding these recipes, because all the ones I find are paleo-vegan-gluten-thigh-blasting poo poo and despite being in college, I don't need to be on that strict of a diet yet

The only watchouts I've read on freezing stew are on adding potatoes only after thawing as they don't freeze well, and on recipes using cornstarch as a thickener maybe needing to be mixed together again after thawing.

Budgetbytes and DadCooksDinner are the sites I get the most meal prep options from, and they're not too diet-oriented.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's the reddest beef stew I've ever seen, wow

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
I've been very lazy about posting so here's me playing catch up -

This week:

I picked up an Isa Chandra Moskowitz cookbook so my food this week was all-vegan.
Fried portabella mushrooms
Mac and Cheese made from cashew/carrot/onion and garlic powder/peanut butter (the sauce is only ok; going to try nutritional yeast next time which is apparently more cheesy tasting)
And no those are not turds. Just falafel and grape leaves :coolfish:

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

indyrenegade posted:

I've been very lazy about posting so here's me playing catch up -

A decidedly more healthy lunch from two weeks ago -
Pickled asparagus
Mashed sweet potato with maple syrup and garlic
Frozen fish made better by tossing hot spices on them with lemon
Rice cooked with chinese five spice in my rice cooker; added a nice flavor

Return of the Grape Leaf Turds -
Failed mushroom risotto. Spent 40 minutes on it only to realize basmati does not have enough starch content to make risotto. Had all the taste but none of the starchy sauce it's meant to have.
Yukon gold potatoes boiled in tumeric and cardamom
Fish fish fish fish fish :coolfish: :coolfish: :coolfish: :coolfish:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Only working until Wednesday this week, so this prep already mostly covers my work lunches and dinners.

Chicken tikka masala done in the pressure cooker.

Extra saucy for mixing with rice.

Extra portions of tikka masala along with last week's beef stew in the freezer for next weekend, since I probably won't be back home in time to cook anything.

I've been picking up some Korean side dishes from a nearby store, and it's been a fun challenge trying to figure out what type of veg is used in each. This one has the texture of seaweed but is a bit more crisp, and tastes like it's been marinated in soy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So I actually wasn't planning on cooking this weekend. However, after a power outage at my buddy's place, I found myself in possession of 1kg of 1/4 price sukiyaki beef that was already thawing and couldn't be refrozen.

I marinated half in soy, mirin, sugar and ginger...

...and made red curry with squash with the rest.

Cooked up the marinated beef bulgogi-style.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have recently learned, to my dismay, that potatoes do not freeze well

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This week's lunch:

Callos, Filipino style. With chorizo, chickpeas, white beans, and ham. This was serious comfort food for me back home.

This was my first time making callos, and I discovered tripe is a pain in the rear end to prepare, even with a pressure cooker. This meal was worth the effort given how much surplus I was able to freeze, but this is definitely not something I'll be prepping very often.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hung over today, so I mostly stayed inside and did tomorrow's cooking.

Salmon bibimbap

Red curry noodles with chicken

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Does anyone have experience with meal prepping stuff into a dehydrator for like camping?
I've been watching some backpacking/bushcraft stuff lately, and one of the guys will make a bunch of stuff then dehydrate it for camping and athen all it needs is a small pot of hot water and you've got stir fry or spaghetti with red sauce and such.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k51klGGhnY

The one takeaway I got from this (small sample size) is "don't try this with fatty foods."
Any other tips/tricks/ideas?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Does anyone have experience with meal prepping stuff into a dehydrator for like camping?

You can also post this in the General Questions thread as more folks that post there may have experience using dehydrators. :)

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

physeter posted:

This is my default but I use one of those magic bullet blenders to puree a shallot, half a garlic bulb and the olive oil into a brushable sludge. Take a bread knife and saw the cabbage down to the core. A big cabbage can fill both oven racks, a single layer on each rack for maximum surface exposure. Once the cabbage disks start to fall apart I'll just stir it around a bit to get an even cook. Toss it on some rice and that's a meal that doesn't even miss meat. It reheats reasonably well.

Croatoan posted:

Cabbage is rad. Yeah just slice it into disks, brush them with a little olive oil, sprinkle kosher salt and pepper and bake at 450* for about 15 minutes until it begins to carmelize. Also, you can make galumpkis and take those to work.

Its been a while, but I wanted to comment that I tried this oven roasted cabbage, and it worked like a treat. I am a fan. One head of cabbage made 4-6 servings easy. Will likely make it again.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
This won't be a surprise to anyone here, but felaful balls are just the bomb. So easy to make out of dry goods/canned beans and a blender/food processor. Bake and wake. Delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Baking falafel that you made out of canned beans sounds like sadness incarnate, but if it works for you, go right ahead! For anyone inclined to make falafel, though, I cannot recommend enough that you use soaked, dried beans (i.e. uncooked beans, which excludes canned beans) and at least taste them fried before resorting to baking. But I do agree that falafel are the bomb. Uncooked falafel freeze pretty well too which means it's not too tough to whip up a big batch so you'll have some around always.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Made pressure cooker 'jambalaya' today.

Since I live on the opposite side of the planet from Louisiana and don't have access to some key ingredients, I'm not gonna bother worrying about authenticity. Still pretty drat tasty, but I'll definitely use a little less liquid next time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Local New Orleanian here, that actually looks like a pretty solid attempt. Not knowing how it tastes, I'd say you identified your only major problem of too much liquid. That said, the color looks great and it looks like you have the essentials. Good job.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

toplitzin posted:

I've been watching some backpacking/bushcraft stuff lately, and one of the guys will make a bunch of stuff then dehydrate it for camping and athen all it needs is a small pot of hot water and you've got stir fry or spaghetti with red sauce and such.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k51klGGhnY

The one takeaway I got from this (small sample size) is "don't try this with fatty foods."
Any other tips/tricks/ideas?

We started using a dehydrator last year for a 9 night back packing trip. You want low fat for sure. We used a few tablespoons of oil with no problem. For simplicity most of ours ended up being vegan (normally dedicated carnivores).

Chili (turkey?), mushroom risotto, sweet and sour noodles, a pad thai of sorts, a couple soups, hummus, mushroom stroganof (sp). Spaghetti and red sauce.

Strawberry Fruit leather (the best), sour cherry fruit leather, cherry and pineapple fruit leather.

We made some meals with dehydrated ingredients but felt it works a little better you dehydrate the finished meal instead.

I can find the list later if you're interested. Phone posting atm

Fruit leathers are the best.

I think there are a few people in the backpacking thread who do, but not as many as I would have thought.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Local New Orleanian here, that actually looks like a pretty solid attempt. Not knowing how it tastes, I'd say you identified your only major problem of too much liquid. That said, the color looks great and it looks like you have the essentials. Good job.

Thank you very much!

I used the recipe from the link below, and the ratio of rice to liquid (1 cup rice to 3 cups broth/wine, plus the liquid from the canned tomatoes) really seems off in hindsight. How would you play around with that ratio?

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-jambalaya-with-chicken-and-sausage/

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Honestly tough to say because I've never done it in an instant pot and that extra liquid might be essential to getting it going. I'd try and trim a half cup of broth off the recipe and see if the pot still comes to pressure.
I personally would axe the tomatoes altogether and sub in a good squeeze of tomato paste, but that's just because I hate tomatoes in my jambalaya. Some people like it red though, so I don't judge.
Also, recipe doesn't mention it but brown your sausage as well.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When I was young, I’d snack on drat near anything, because I was a growing boy with a screaming loud appetite. Two oranges, cut up into wedges. A tomato with lime juice and some Flaky salt. Cucumber, same treatment. Apples and peanut butter. When I got older, and could afford other stuff, I switched to crap. I did put on like 20 lbs from my high school weight, but to be fair, I had a pretty severe eating disorder, so that’s not entirely a bad thing.

In 2017, I got hired for a job at a shared work space. The owners try to get you to at least vaguely eat healthy, so they keep snacks on hand like fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, and various other things. Ever since I started, I remembered how much I love those things.

When I started taking my lunch back in 2000, I would usually eat it by 10 am. :cough: Shut up, I was 18, and still growing. Now I realised that I wasn’t factoring in snacks.

Take some goddamed snacks or else you’ll be like me and have to go get something else even though you adulted and took your lunch to work.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Snacks are always great. But something that often gets overlooked is DRINKS. Sometimes you just want something sweet to spike the water with, or something besides tea or coffee. And paying a buck fifty for a can of drink is silly. TrueLime makes good beverage powder, even just their lime or lemon wedge powder is nice to sprinkle in some tap water. Or tea. There's also tons of Iced Tea and Fruit Punch flavors. My favorite is Pineapple Crush, which is weirdly hard to find sometimes. Orange and Grape are always available, and always a nice little pick-me-up. I always keep a few packets of to-go drink mix in my lunch bag and my truck.

Pro Tip. Mix the beverage base in a small amount of warm water to fully dissolve, then add cold water and ice to fill the glass.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

La Croix or your local equivalent is usually pretty cheap too, if you just want to open a can occasionally.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks to you guys I've been meal prepping for the last couple of weeks. Bit of a pain to do it when I get home but I've been saving money by not getting lunch at the cafe in my building. Made some Jambalaya last night in my pressure cooker and I think it turned out pretty good.

Much healthier than the chicken sandwich and soda I used to get near daily.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
After finishing up the leftovers from my NICSA entry I'm looking forward to having a week's worth of chicken katsu lunches :yum:. Dinner portion is pictured since I recrisp them in a pan before packing.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
This doesn't fit in perfectly since I prep the raw ingredients and cook each day, but the cooking is quick and I use a single pan to stir fry it all in. Also, I eat meal a day, so other than milk and ordering out once on Sundays, this is all I eat for the other 10 days.

This is very low level cooking. I'm posting to get similar ideas. I'd like something like what I'm doing here that involves tomatoes that can work in my once-every-other-week shopping schedule.

Buying guide
5 boxes of frozen chopped spinach
4 bags of frozen broccoli & cauliflower ('Winter Vegetables")
1 pack of boneless/skinless chicken thighs (~4.75 lbs, 14 thighs)
~10 oz of your preferred cheese(s)
Seasoning (oregano/italian, salt, pepper, garlic)
Oil (peanut, whatever)
1 box of farfalle (to expand the recipe for a guest, pick whatever pasta you like but butterfly works best)

Equipment
1 kitchen scale
10 ziplock
10 food storage containers
10" pan, spatula, knives, etc

Preparation

Chop the chicken into 1" chunks and bag them at 5 oz each. You'll get about 14-15 bags out of a pack of 14 boneless skinless chicken thighs. Only 10 will go into the storage containers, the rest I keep in the freezer to rotate into the next batch of meals. Use one of the excess bags of chicken to supplement the recipe for a guest. When storing the excess baggies make sure to shape them so they'll fit into your containers.

Nestle your tightly rolled baggies of chicken one each into your storage container, and fill the rest with about 2/5ths of a bag of frozen vegetables. You'll spread 2 bags of vegetables out across 5 of your containers, then repeat for the next 5 containers.

I always have 2 containers defrosting, each evening replacing the one I use with another fresh out of the freezer. I cut the box of spinach in half while it's still partially frozen and dump the two halves out in its own container as well.

Note: If you're cooking for a guest, start water boiling for pasta. Salt to taste, and get the pasta started first before the next step. Remember to use 2 packages of chicken in the next step.

Cooking: Meat

Heat some oil in a pan over medium-low heat and dump in the chicken. Add seasoning on top. I like arranging them together into something like a patty so I can flip the whole mass at once.

Cover and let cook until the tops are white, or otherwise do it properly if you've been trained as a cook. Flip and re-cover to cook the other side, then separate the pieces, stir them around a bit, and continue cooking until they're done.

Tilt the pan and push the chicken out of the oil and fats, and set the cooked chicken aside on something clean, not the floor or bare counter. You'll be cooking the spinach and vegetables in that pan next.

Increase the heat to medium. Add the half-box of chopped spinach and stir it out of its clumps in the oil. I like to pad it down into a thin layer and let it cook covered for a bit before pushing it back together, flipping it, and spreading it back out into an even layer again. I cook it long enough to get rid of most of the loose water.

It should look like this:

Then evenly dump out the vegetables on top and season as you like:

Add a couple ounces of water and cover. Cook on medium-high until the vegetables are as tender / mushy as you like. I prefer to cook them long enough that I can easily slice through the stems with my spatula. Or all the water gets cooked off and it starts to scorch, whichever comes first.

+Guest directions: Your pasta might be ready by now. While you're steaming the broccoli/cauliflower, drain the pasta, put a couple tablespoons of butter in the empty, hot pot, and return the pasta to the pot and mix with the butter. Add grated cheese if you like.

Push the vegetables from the center and re-unite the pan with the chicken prepared earlier.

Mix thoroughly. Turn off the heat.

If you're cooking for one, add cheese on top and leave covered for a minute so it melts.

Stir thoroughly and enjoy, or just eat it.

+Guest: Dump the chicken/vegetable mixture into your pasta pot and mix thoroughly. Serve warm.

Nutritional Information (sole participant variation)

Ingredients: Chicken thigh meat, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, parmesan/romano grated cheese (the added cellulose/sawdust helps cut back on the spiciness of the spinach), white american cheese (1 slice), and peanut oil.

Fat: 39g
Protein: 55g
Carb: 17g
Fiber: 7g
Calories: ~650
Cost: ~$2.75 per meal

I've been eating this more or less daily since September 2019. On Sundays I order out, usually a margarita sandwich, and supplement with a glass of chocolate milk for desert and a multivitamin. I'm at about 1k calories per day and have gone from 320 to 210 lbs over the last 13 months.