Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Just checked the stables and my horse is just straight gone. Some sort of glitch I guess. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
What in tarnation was I meant to do at the drug store I don't think there's many law men left in that town.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Anyone playing this on the regular old PS4? How does it hold up, am I going to be mistaking my PS4 for a jet engine shortly after starting?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For people saying that all their guns are gone from their horse make sure you're riding YOUR horse. The game likes to have you just ride whatever is convenient to where you are but if it is not your owned horse it won't have any of your stuff on it.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I dunno if anyone cares, but if you're on the fence about the strategy guide, I just got the hardcover one at my local Target for $5.99.

The Target app said it was $25.46 (36% off) but wasn't sold in stores. I had to pick up some things so I went in anyway. Low and behold, there was a small stack of hardcover books at the end of an aisle in the electronics department. I brought it to the price-checker and it showed full price ($39.99). I brought it to the register and asked the employee if they price match Target.com and she said yes, but then when she scanned it, it rang up as $5.99. I said nevermind on the price match.

I don't know if that's unique to my Target, but I figured I'd share.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cultural Marxist posted:

Yeah, I’ve not tested it but that seems like the best option.

yup it works, just paid off a 200 buckaroo bounty with 3 dollars

much obliged pardner

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

muscles like this! posted:

For people saying that all their guns are gone from their horse make sure you're riding YOUR horse. The game likes to have you just ride whatever is convenient to where you are but if it is not your owned horse it won't have any of your stuff on it.

Also the next time you get on your horse and ride a short distance your guy will happily stow his bow / repeater again and you'll have to take them back off your horse the next time you hop off.

Because ~realism~ I guess.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

FallenGod posted:

Also the next time you get on your horse and ride a short distance your guy will happily stow his bow / repeater again and you'll have to take them back off your horse the next time you hop off.

Because ~realism~ I guess.

this drives me completely insane

fargom posted:

Anyone playing this on the regular old PS4? How does it hold up, am I going to be mistaking my PS4 for a jet engine shortly after starting?

I'm on the pro and it does that on this too

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Ooh, about the map elements included from RDR: after that dude finished all the main story + epilogue missions in 34 hours, he finished by riding out west to the old RDR map. Blackwater and Beecher's Hope all feature in the story, but the desert areas west never really showed up at all, aside from that one canyon. But it looks like it really is the entire north side of the river from RDR in there. No Herbert Moon yet, just a random NPC vendor. Fort Mercer was full of bandits so it looks like gang hideouts are still going to be a thing. Got a MASSIVE wave of nostalgia seeing familiar places rendered in such higher detail. The fact they have all this land, but never used it, really makes me think that the RDR remaster within RDR2 has to be a possibility. It's missing Mexico, but maybe just locking off Mexico to not tip their hand, because if it was there we'd all know it was coming.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I came to the thread to try to find out if I should get this game. Having seen this, i'm not sure if I am more or less likely to do so.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

fargom posted:

Mine hasn't had any issues thus far, playing digitally and not from a disc if that matters to you. Load times aren't even absurd like GTAV's which was surprising.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Why can't I buy most of the weapons at the gunsmith? Not far enough into the story?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
am I missing something or is the stable unlock behind story progress?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

during the tutorial last night it said that if i hold a certain button down it'll tell me my current objective. What button is that on ps4?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GreatGreen posted:

Rockstar controls are too weighty. They make controlling a human feel like you're driving a drat boat.

These days I'm 50/50 on it either being people trying to make movement realistic where realistic==awkward, or Witcher-style "we worked hard on these 400 frames of animation for turning around and you WILL watch them". The same goes for forcing gun selection via the quickwheel and the lever action on the repeater. These are ideas you'd think would get immediately shelved with even minimal playtesting and their inclusion makes it look like that feedback was overruled.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Where do I get a horse brush? The general store had nothing like that; do I need to craft it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zotix posted:

during the tutorial last night it said that if i hold a certain button down it'll tell me my current objective. What button is that on ps4?

Down on the d pad

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

am I missing something or is the stable unlock behind story progress?

It is pretty early but yes the stable and brush are gated behind a story mission.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am starting to get a hang of the controls. They can come off as unintuitive at first, but if I can get a grip on them then I think everyone else can as well.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have an unfortunately high bounty on my head and am considering turning myself in, what is the penalty? ie do they take my stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mentioned earlier they just take your money on hand so just give it all to the camp first.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are the special editions worth the extra money or should I just buy the regular version?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I'm loving loving this game so far.

But I need to know, later on is it possible to take some members of the gang out in free roam? Kinda like how you could take the other two PCs in V out with you.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

LMAO the mission where you take Lenny to the saloon is amazing.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Does anyone know the deterioration rate on animal carcass yet? Like how long can I have a carcass on the back of my horse before it's too spoiled to do anything with?

Also, is it better to give the camp cook the whole animal or skin it then give it to him?

This game is awesome but tells you NOTHING.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The legendary bear murdered me brutally (and it really was brutal holy poo poo) but now I can't find him. I went back to the same spot, and no tracks or anything. Is it just a matter of trying again another day or something?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Anyone else feel like a real scumbag when you do the money lender missions.

:smith:

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Fat_Cow posted:

Where do I get a horse brush? The general store had nothing like that; do I need to craft it?

You get it from going to the stables in Valentine, on the way doing the Legendary Bear hunt quest.

Hihohe posted:

Anyone else feel like a real scumbag when you do the money lender missions.

:smith:

Yeah I didn't like beating on that farmer in front of his family.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why do rockstar gently caress up controls in every goddamn game. Like they don't even bother attempting to stick to common convention of button layouts it's loving infuriating.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Klisejo posted:

Yeah I didn't like beating on that farmer in front of his family.

Yeah that made me feel really bad, if the wife is correct, he's mentally unwell too which just makes it worse. That German guy is a total rear end in a top hat and I'm glad Arthur called him out for it at the very least.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So how do I donate food for my camps cook? By just donating via dialogue? I hunted a deer and dropped it in the camp and was told it would be in a „convenient place“?
And there it rots? Or gets skinned? Or cooked?

Tha Game owns but it has in a way too much handholding in the early hours while being completely counterintuitive at the same time and lacking the explanation of several mechanics and elements.
It’s bizarre.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Mr.PayDay posted:

So how do I donate food for my camps cook? By just donating via dialogue? I hunted a deer and dropped it in the camp and was told it would be in a „convenient place“?

Tha Game owns but it has in a way too much handholding in the early hours while being completely counterintuitive at the same time and lacking the explanation of several mechanics and elements.
It’s bizarre.

This please tell me i've got rotting deer and ram carcasses about and there are flies

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Mr.PayDay posted:

It’s bizarre.

You have to have be carrying it and walk up to the cook's shop counter. Then in the dialog menu there will be an option in the bottom right that says Donate to provisions.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BillBear posted:

Yeah that made me feel really bad, if the wife is correct, he's mentally unwell too which just makes it worse. That German guy is a total rear end in a top hat and I'm glad Arthur called him out for it at the very least.

And granted this is from watching a stream, but let’s not forget him sending you to a rob a Polish dude of his heirlooms

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

No.

SoulsBourne controls are weighty and awesome.

Rockstar controls are too weighty. They make controlling a human feel like you're driving a drat boat.
No, no, see. RDR2's controls are even MORE Soulslike.

Because they got Alvina to make the controls for RDR2.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

To my knowledge you go to the butcher knife on the map at your camp. You can donate what ever is in you hands or horse inventory but first in the actual donation screen they cut it up into parts and then you donate those separately.

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
Behold...my masterpiece!

https://youtu.be/-MK78x1JGsA

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mailer posted:

These days I'm 50/50 on it either being people trying to make movement realistic where realistic==awkward, or Witcher-style "we worked hard on these 400 frames of animation for turning around and you WILL watch them". The same goes for forcing gun selection via the quickwheel and the lever action on the repeater. These are ideas you'd think would get immediately shelved with even minimal playtesting and their inclusion makes it look like that feedback was overruled.

I agree with you totally. Who are these idiots that think "BUT REALISM MAAAN... IT'S SO REAAALLLL HOW COULD ANYBODY NOT LOVE IT."

The answer is because some realism loving sucks in video games.

Realism =/= Better.
Fun = Better.
Fun =/= having to do the busywork of manually walking back to your horse every time it gets out of range or having to continuously tap the loving run button to run, or losing your weapons in the wilderness, or having your horse programmed as an entity that can be killed.

It looks like the game was made by the same people who think all originality in music must be inherently amazing simply because it's original, so they listen to "avant garde" recordings of distorted static with car horn honks playing over it or something because it hasn't been done before. In music, originally does not equal good. Good execution equals good. In video games, realism does not equal good. Fun equals good.

I'm honestly a little bit shocked that you don't have to alternate pressing the shoulder buttons or wag the stick back and fourth just to use your two independent feet to walk forward.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 27, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
What does donating meat and stuff to the camp do? What does donating money do? How do I upgrade the medicine cart? Apparently I need to so I can upgrade other stuff but I don't see any way to interact with the cart, it's greyed out on the minimap. Where can I get a leatherworking kit from? I need one of them too apparently, but I have no idea where to get one.

Also, I found a woman out in the wilderness. She was trapped under her horse, so I freed her, then accepted a mission to take her back home. I rode all the way there with her, but then accidentally killed my horse by riding into a lamp post. It died instantly, and then she freaked out and ran away and I couldn't complete the mission. I tried to load the latest quicksave but it had quicksaved just after the horse died and the woman was still gone. For some reason there was another random horse there that seemed to belong to me? I dunno, I put my saddle on it and nobody seemed to complain that I stole their horse.

There is an awful lot going on in this game, and not much of it is particularly well explained to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I agree with you totally. Who are these idiots that think "BUT REALISM MAAAN... IT'S SO REAAALLLL HOW COULD ANYBODY NOT LOVE IT."

The answer is because some realism loving sucks in video games.

Realism =/= Better.
Fun = Better.
Fun =/= having to do the busywork of manually walking back to your horse every time it gets out of range or having to continuously tap the loving run button to run, or losing your weapons in the wilderness, or having your horse programmed as an entity that can be killed.

The proper way to deal with it is to leave it as optional toggles. That way the insane people who think ultimate realism is the best thing ever can do their thing while I can just relax and escape into a video game.