Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I accidentally killed the Trapper when trying to hand in a legendary skin :( I hope he respawns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

I agree with you totally. Who are these idiots that think "BUT REALISM MAAAN... IT'S SO REAAALLLL HOW COULD ANYBODY NOT LOVE IT."

The answer is because some realism loving sucks in video games.

Realism =/= Better.
Fun = Better.
Fun =/= having to do the busywork of manually walking back to your horse every time it gets out of range or having to continuously tap the loving run button to run, or losing your weapons in the wilderness, or having your horse programmed as an entity that can be killed.
People will literally clamor for sitting in a decompression chamber "because it would be immersive/Realistic!" in aquatic games where you also have a pocket sized matter replicator.

Or you're playing DnD with goblin butlers firing catapults at a dragon, but trying to do nonlethal robin hood takedowns with a bow gets complaints of "That Isn't realistic! arrows are SHARP!"

Incredibly cherry picked realism/Lore reasons that are nine times out of ten always to tout some form of inconvenience for the player has become my arch-nemesis over the years. As much because it's a coin flip whether it's people just trying to use it as cheap PR for a Dev/Fan's personal preferences, or being honestly convinced "I'm helping with this idea, yay! :downs:"

Thankfully RDR2 seems to be just mildly fiddly at worst by all accounts and what little gameplay I've seen in person. It won't make me vomit blood because I ate too many canned beans in a row trying to top up my hunger. My starting guns don't fire at wild angles if I have the nerve to shoot them more than once per second while modders wistfully sigh at how they can't make the act of reloading your gun lower durability.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 27, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love Cowboy poo poo and I like everything in this game except for all the busywork and how sluggish your guy feels.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Got this installing on my launch Xbox.. Can't wait to see how quickly this makes me either trade the game in or upgrade.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This game is transporting me to another world like no other game and has a staggering level of detail but it's a real struggle to play. It's like wading through a knee high swamp while doing cats cradle with your fingers

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Making up realism gamers so that you can have an outlet for your badness is some peak steam thread.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

This is going to be the dumbest question in this thread, but I just wanted to get the 97GB downloading by the time I'm done working today, which apparently at 10AM still counts as a pre-order.

One of the items is "cash in story mode". I don't really want to cheat myself out of the single player experience with pay to win nonsense - is there a way I can just decline this?

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

This is going to be the dumbest question in this thread, but I just wanted to get the 97GB downloading by the time I'm done working today, which apparently at 10AM still counts as a pre-order.

One of the items is "cash in story mode". I don't really want to cheat myself out of the single player experience with pay to win nonsense - is there a way I can just decline this?

I preordered and I haven’t seen any free cash in story mode yet and I’m midway through chapter 2

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it just gives you the money. i had like 200 dollars in the starting town.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So the trapper. I have the Legendary bear skin; can I just sell it to him and come back later to craft things with it or what?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I have no idea if that's a lot of money in this series. maybe not worth stressing over, or maybe I'll just autistically refuse to spend my last $200 until I'm past the money curve :downs:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Been playing this all day. It's nice to not worry about missions and just explore, hunt, and find random encounters.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have no idea if that's a lot of money in this series. maybe not worth stressing over, or maybe I'll just autistically refuse to spend my last $200 until I'm past the money curve :downs:

It's not a huge amount of money. It'll buy you like one medium-priced gun.

Speaking of guns, which ones do people like?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I can't speak to the rest of the systems working well (I'm already annoyed by the horse weapon selection thing) I actually really like the methodical way Morgan lumbers around greeting townsfolk as he goes and everything is just kinda slow and deliberate. But as I was doing it I had a vision of the future and playing Red Dead Online where the entire town is just people dressed in the most expensive clothes possible running to and fro from the saloon to their horse because they're grinding some exploit to level up because its 6% faster than playing missions normally and I went ahh, that's right, this will be terrible soon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

lol

Hey serious question. What happens when your horse dies and how long / how much money does it take to get back up to parity with where you were just before it died?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I admittedly haven't been keeping up with the thread at all, so maybe this got covered and I'm just an idiot, but am I missing something to the waypoint system. I swear it worked at one point, but now it just doesn't. Am I being dumb and overlooking something or is this a problem with my game?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There actually is a choice in one of the many options menus to decline those bonuses. You aren't given them at the beginning of the game so just pause as soon as you get the chance and turn it off.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Tercio posted:

Is there a way I can store my bow so it doesn't show up on my horse vertically? Do I have to bring it along at all?

yo any thoughts on this?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I stole a horse and then went to steal stuff from its saddlebags but I hit circle instead of square on accident and I punched the horse and it kicked me in the head and then ran off into the woods leaving me alone.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I admittedly haven't been keeping up with the thread at all, so maybe this got covered and I'm just an idiot, but am I missing something to the waypoint system. I swear it worked at one point, but now it just doesn't. Am I being dumb and overlooking something or is this a problem with my game?

Does nothing at all for me either. I'd love to know how to set a path the horse will automatically follow in cinema mode

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://v.redd.it/c5u9d5zupku11

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I can't speak to the rest of the systems working well (I'm already annoyed by the horse weapon selection thing) I actually really like the methodical way Morgan lumbers around greeting townsfolk as he goes and everything is just kinda slow and deliberate. But as I was doing it I had a vision of the future and playing Red Dead Online where the entire town is just people dressed in the most expensive clothes possible running to and fro from the saloon to their horse because they're grinding some exploit to level up because its 6% faster than playing missions normally and I went ahh, that's right, this will be terrible soon.

But enough about Fallout 76.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Theres a setting to enable/disable it in the options. Try checking there.

Edit: I may be thinking of GPS instead.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

The horses are v hard to control and i've killed myself many times just running into a tree or another rider, or just busting up into some poor sap's camp and then having to murder him

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

GreatGreen posted:

lol

Hey serious question. What happens when your horse dies and how long / how much money does it take to get back up to parity with where you were just before it died?

When it dies its dead forever. You have to get a new horse and start over on the bonding level.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Which begs the question, am I supposed to kill/rob these solitary camping strangers???

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The fact there is no toggle for hair and beard growth is the nudge to high on the realism front.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

swordfish duelist posted:

Theres a setting to enable/disable it in the options. Try checking there.

Edit: I may be thinking of GPS instead.

Thank you! What threw me was their use of the term GPS and me messing with settings before being familiar enough with the game to know what they meant.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

insider posted:

When it dies its dead forever. You have to get a new horse and start over on the bonding level.

So you mean you have to slowly jog or tap the run button all the way to the nearest horse dealer from wherever you happen to be in the biggest world Rockstar has ever created? Cool.

What about your stuff? Does that at least magically teleport back into the saddle of your newly purchased horse?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
how do i get the task/quest menu up. i accidently had it pop when i was doing a mission and now i cant figure out the button combo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I found a gold wedding ring here!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

fargom posted:

Anyone playing this on the regular old PS4? How does it hold up, am I going to be mistaking my PS4 for a jet engine shortly after starting?

It’s actually not so bad. During god of war it was so bad I actually quit playing. It does rev like a mofo but not constant.

Glad I’m not the only one totally lost regarding some of the weird crafting / camp poo poo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

TMMadman posted:

The proper way to deal with it is to leave it as optional toggles. That way the insane people who think ultimate realism is the best thing ever can do their thing while I can just relax and escape into a video game.

I agree. If you could switch all this fiddly realism stuff on and off at will, everybody wins.

Hopefully this stuff can be modded in when the game (hopefully) is ported to PC.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

So you mean you have to slowly jog or tap the run button all the way to the nearest horse dealer from wherever you happen to be in the biggest world Rockstar has ever created? Cool.

What about your stuff? Does that at least magically teleport back into the saddle of your newly purchased horse?

Your saddlebag (that holds your stuff) turns back up in your camp eventually I believe.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I lost my hat. :smith:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Vikar Jerome posted:

how do i get the task/quest menu up. i accidently had it pop when i was doing a mission and now i cant figure out the button combo

Tap left on the dpad, hold for your journal.

Hot take: The controls are fine once you switch to standard fps, the only issue is that there is no complete control list in the game menu or in the box, at least for me.

If you're having problems with your horse, remember that you have a button (R1 on PS4) to slow / stop him. If stopping doesn't help, try changing the horse movement option to camera relative instead of horse relative. It will make it harder to do things like shoot behind you while galloping forward but much easier to make sure you're going the direction you intend.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I lost my hat. :smith:

It's on your horse :unsmith:

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are

insider posted:

That’s why you always use yur good ol’ manual save before you risk the life of yur trusty steed!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

DuffMayhem posted:

That’s why you always use yur good ol’ manual save before you risk the life of yur trusty steed!

Saving/Loading seems super weird in this game though. Its like it doesn't save some stuff. People/animals/etc sometimes just gone after a load that were there before for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

What does donating meat and stuff to the camp do? What does donating money do? How do I upgrade the medicine cart? Apparently I need to so I can upgrade other stuff but I don't see any way to interact with the cart, it's greyed out on the minimap. Where can I get a leatherworking kit from? I need one of them too apparently, but I have no idea where to get one.

Do the loan-sharking missions for the German dick in the camp. When you bring back your first debt and put it in the contributions box camp upgrading is explained to you.

Donating food, and doing chores (carrying sacks/chopping wood/etc) seem to make people in the camp like you more. Maybe that’ll have an effect later on?