Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can see where I am interested in somebody's reaction on SA because they are a fellow poster and there's an interactivity element, I literally have no loving idea why anybody cares about a random reviewer at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
it's some weird vicarious thing

also yeah the guy is insufferable

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If goons think someone is insufferable then, well, yikes, I'll just stick to this thread.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
S1E10, Believers - I thought this could have been a Star Trek script almost word for word until the last five minutes. If it had been Trek, the doctor would have done the operation, the kid would have been quiet and moody and ambiguously soul-less before being whisked away by angry parents, and the captain would have given a monologue questioning whether the right choice was made. Instead we got...what we got. It reminds me that the show has a different tone that I need to prepare myself for.

S1E11, Survivors - Garibaldi gets framed. Not a very exciting episode in my opinion since you know he’s going to make it out fine, even in a serialized show. Gives some background on his character though which is nice I guess. Brings back the earth-first bigots as a recurring antagonist, guessing they will probably continue to be important.

S1E12, By Any Means Necessary - Labor strike! Go unions! I want to see more of the guild leader character but know I probably won’t. I want to see more Londo and G’Kar squaring off and know I probably will. This episode also continues two themes I didn’t expect coming into the show but have seemed pretty consistent so far. #1, everyone has religious leanings and is coming to terms with how to express them. #2, if a guest star is a white human dude then he’s (almost?) always the bad guy of the week.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wizzardstaff posted:

S1E10, Believers - I thought this could have been a Star Trek script almost word for word until the last five minutes. If it had been Trek, the doctor would have done the operation, the kid would have been quiet and moody and ambiguously soul-less before being whisked away by angry parents, and the captain would have given a monologue questioning whether the right choice was made. Instead we got...what we got. It reminds me that the show has a different tone that I need to prepare myself for.

It was written by longtime Star Trek writer David Gerrold, so your instinct probably isn't far off. I don't think he ever worked on the show again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ConfusedUs posted:

This guy is mildly insufferable. I

Like he’s totally cool and good until something or someone triggers him, and then he’s the worst.

I loved his watch of Avatar the last Airbender, until I very very much did not.

I've met Mark Oshiro, he came to a couple of Discworld conventions while he was doing his stint on that series. I didn't have a problem with him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you like G'Kar and Londo squaring off, strap in.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Timby posted:

It was written by longtime Star Trek writer David Gerrold, so your instinct probably isn't far off. I don't think he ever worked on the show again.

He only wrote the one episode. JMS a really wanted Gerold to write this one, ostensibly because David had recently adopted his son so knew what being a parent was like. But I suspect JMS intentionally wanted it to feel Star Trek just to pull the rug out at the end.

Guest writers got less frequent because JMS was a madman and decided he had to write everything himself when the arc cranked up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

He only wrote the one episode. JMS a really wanted Gerold to write this one, ostensibly because David had recently adopted his son so knew what being a parent was like. But I suspect JMS intentionally wanted it to feel Star Trek just to pull the rug out at the end.

I'm pretty sure JMS has said as much in those B5 episode guide books with the behind the scenes interviews.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Well I guess in that case my reaction was the intended one, so good job and well done.

I'm finding in many cases that my thoughts about the show are nowhere near unique. (Infection is universally hated? Londo and G'Kar are fan favorites? Who knew?!) Still having fun though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think Infection was the first episode ever produced. And even it has things that you look back on during a second watch and go 'oh, huh, that's neat'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's good they're not necessarily unique! It indicates a degree of coherency from the show.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

wizzardstaff posted:

I always get a kick out of the dad pulling a tiny little knife on the doctor. It's the, er, little touches.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

This guy is mildly insufferable. I

Like he’s totally cool and good until something or someone triggers him, and then he’s the worst.

I loved his watch of Avatar the last Airbender, until I very very much did not.
Well I'm curious, what did he find so objectionable about Avatar?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
S1E13, Signs and Portents - Definitely portentous. Would have felt more mysterious if I wasn’t already spoiled a bit about the existence of the Shadows, but still an effective episode. Kind of hoping the Eye of the Centauri Emperor is a magic space jewel with magic space powers given the Shadows’ interest in it, because magic space macguffins are extremely my poo poo, but it feels more like it’s just a bauble to secure the favor of the Centauri. Oh well.

S1E14, TKO - Alien boxing match, meh. More interested in Ivanova’s character development. The show is taking great pains to demonstrate how religious all the characters are. I’m starting to think Parliament of Dreams might have been more significant than I originally took it for.

S1E15, Grail - This time the white dude guest star wasn’t a villain. (Or was he? His quest for the grail was mysterious and certainly seems like it will come up again.) Lots of little tidbits dropped in this episode about the bigger picture...the Minbari have a warrior caste and a religious caste who are always in conflict; the Vorlons (or just Kosh) have an interest in the other races fearing them; we get reminders that Babylon 4 publicly and dramatically disappeared after it was constructed.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

wizzardstaff posted:

S1E14, TKO - Alien boxing match, meh. More interested in Ivanova’s character development. The show is taking great pains to demonstrate how religious all the characters are. I’m starting to think Parliament of Dreams might have been more significant than I originally took it for.

This is one of my favorite episodes just for how wildly divergent the A and B plots are in tone, character significance, and how much I like them. I once had this exchange with a friend, when I was rewatching the series:

"Do you remember the episode when Ivanova's hometown rabbi shows up because he's concerned she's not grieving for her father properly?"
"Yeah, I thought it was a really well-done and touching story, and a really good depiction of Jewish culture."
"Do you remember the episode when Sugar Ray Robinson shows up, and he's Garibaldi's old friend, and the plot is about him getting to be the first human allowed into Alien Kickboxing?"
"Yeah. That was kind of dumb."
"That was the same episode."
"What." :aaaaa:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vavrek posted:

This is one of my favorite episodes just for how wildly divergent the A and B plots are in tone, character significance, and how much I like them. I once had this exchange with a friend, when I was rewatching the series:

"Do you remember the episode when Ivanova's hometown rabbi shows up because he's concerned she's not grieving for her father properly?"
"Yeah, I thought it was a really well-done and touching story, and a really good depiction of Jewish culture."
"Do you remember the episode when Sugar Ray Robinson shows up, and he's Garibaldi's old friend, and the plot is about him getting to be the first human allowed into Alien Kickboxing?"
"Yeah. That was kind of dumb."
"That was the same episode."
"What." :aaaaa:

:argh:"STROKE OFF":argh:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

That's the thing about the show that still impresses me - few episodes are total garbage* with no impact. Even one-offs like TKO still do world and character building.

*Grading on the "Shoestring budget 90s Sci-Fi" curve

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Galvanik posted:

Well I'm curious, what did he find so objectionable about Avatar?

Apparently thinking that Azula might be mentally ill is forbidden and any discussion of it makes one an ableist, bigoted rear end in a top hat. This despite her sociopathic manipulation of her friends, her breakdown at the end, and the face that the nicest character on the show literally says “she’s crazy.”

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Platonicsolid posted:

That's the thing about the show that still impresses me - few episodes are total garbage* with no impact. Even one-offs like TKO still do world and character building.

Yeah, I am really liking that every episode contributes something interesting to the overall big picture, even just a little.

S1E16, Eyes - Growing tensions with Earth and the Psi Corps. More character development for Ivanova, this time on her relationship with her mother. I feel like things are being set up for Ivanova to develop latent psychic powers or something. Meanwhile Garibaldi and Lennier bond over their shared love of motorcycles and identically receding hairlines.

S1E17, Legacies - Good stuff with Minbari politics here. Clearly they have an agenda with the war and with Sinclair, but they are not totally unified behind it. Nice to see aliens who are not depicted as a single monolithic entity. Also we get even more movement on Ivanova and her rocky relationship with telepaths. There’s got to be something here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wizzardstaff posted:

Yeah, I am really liking that every episode contributes something interesting to the overall big picture, even just a little.

S1E16, Eyes - Growing tensions with Earth and the Psi Corps. More character development for Ivanova, this time on her relationship with her mother. I feel like things are being set up for Ivanova to develop latent psychic powers or something. Meanwhile Garibaldi and Lennier bond over their shared love of motorcycles and identically receding hairlines.

S1E17, Legacies - Good stuff with Minbari politics here. Clearly they have an agenda with the war and with Sinclair, but they are not totally unified behind it. Nice to see aliens who are not depicted as a single monolithic entity. Also we get even more movement on Ivanova and her rocky relationship with telepaths. There’s got to be something here.

Anything you see in Babylon 5 has a point and a purpose. Unlike other shows, no plotlines are dropped or ignored throughout the entire run. Save for some weird first-season standalone stuff like the guy hunting the Holy Grail.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

Also Walker's last line to Garibaldi :tinfoil:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

nerdman42 posted:

If people are looking for new B5 reactions, quasi-popular internet reviewer Mark Oshiro is going through each episode now. Just started season 2 this week.

It's also what's finally pushing me to try and finish, I accidentally dropped off around season 3.

Anyone know how you translate the garbled spoiler talk in the comments?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I love that motorcycle B-plot in the dorkiest way possible.

Marmaduke! posted:

Anyone know how you translate the garbled spoiler talk in the comments?

I dunno if browsers can do this by default any more, but I cut and pasted it into https://www.rot13.com/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

wizzardstaff posted:

Yep. And there are tons of small things that you aren't noticing that will come back later. It's super well done and rewards a rewatch some day in the future to see how there are things laid down in like episode two that don't come up again until the fifth season or whatever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything you see in Babylon 5 has a point and a purpose. Unlike other shows, no plotlines are dropped or ignored throughout the entire run. Save for some weird first-season standalone stuff like the guy hunting the Holy Grail.

Well, that's not quite true. There are plenty of potential hooks that never really get followed up on.

Late game spoilers:

You can see how Ironheart's Gift was going to develop into the kind of super-telepath that Lyta became - the stuff about how that trick with Bester shouldn't have worked in A Race Through Dark Places, for example - which got promptly dropped when Thompson left the series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think Londo's wife is one of the big dropped threads of the show. I don't think she ever shows up after he divorces the other two.

It must be hard to get women to shave their heads for these sci-fi parts too. Seems like that'd really hinder their chances at other roles for a while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

It must be hard to get women to shave their heads for these sci-fi parts too. Seems like that'd really hinder their chances at other roles for a while.

Since wigs were invented this is less of a problem.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Also, short hair + skullcaps. I'd be intrigued how many actresses actually shaved their heads for Centauri roles (or already had shaved heads). I know that Virginia Hey did it for her two years on Farscape, and that it was kind of a hardship.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I choose to believe that this refers to a multi-season mororcycle repair arc.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Also, short hair + skullcaps. I'd be intrigued how many actresses actually shaved their heads for Centauri roles (or already had shaved heads). I know that Virginia Hey did it for her two years on Farscape, and that it was kind of a hardship.

Note that they have ribbons around their heads. This is to hide the bald cap seams.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Londo's wife is one of the big dropped threads of the show. I don't think she ever shows up after he divorces the other two.

Timov has a major role in the ancillary material.

The women don't shave their heads, though, they're generally wearing skullcaps.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a drat shame, Jane Carr did a great job as Timov. She was fairly busy for the next few years after Soul Mates, they might just not have been able to get her scheduled for another appearance. But more likely they did just let her go.

There's a really great imaginary S5 in which Timov is a major player in the Centauri arc and, probably, dies horribly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, that's not quite true. There are plenty of potential hooks that never really get followed up on.

Late game spoilers:

You can see how Ironheart's Gift was going to develop into the kind of super-telepath that Lyta became - the stuff about how that trick with Bester shouldn't have worked in A Race Through Dark Places, for example - which got promptly dropped when Thompson left the series.

And even then it still got followed up on, after a fashion -- IIRC Bester had her dissected after her sleeper personality activated to try and figure out what Ironheart did to her.

e: keyboard shortcuts :argh:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 28, 2018

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

McSpanky posted:

And even then it still got followed up on, after a fashion -- IIRC Bester had her dissected after her sleeper personality activated to try and figure out what Ironheart did to her.

spoiler, not s.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
S1E18/19, A Voice in the Wilderness - The first two-part episode. Introduces an ancient planet-sized gun and immediately puts it on the mantelpiece for later. My favorite part of this episode is how humanity had no part in solving the problem; Londo and Delenn and her old teacher buddy just hopped down and plugged in. A good reminder that not everything revolves around the human command crew. Also, we had the old Minbari mention he was ready to move on to the “sea of stars”. A metaphor for death, or do Minbari just sail west to the Undying Lands?

Speaking of Minbari, I thought I had picked up a difference between the religious and warrior castes based on the shape of their head ridges, but this guy looked like (what I thought was) a warrior. Either there’s more subtlety than I’m giving it credit for, or I’m just overthinking it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The headbones are different for the castes but I don't think the makeup is always done consistently.

E: Actually maybe it's that the ones for men are spikier than for women, I don't remember.

E2: of course I should've just looked for a sperg wiki

quote:

The Minbari's distinctive head bones are actually two separate and distinct ridges. At birth, Minbari infants posses two very small, soft ridges that sprout from the temple and grow and close at the back of the skull, forming the appearance of a single structure. The ridges grow in stages, each stage advancing another few millimetres and do not fully develop until child is approximately one cycle old. By that time the two soft ridges should join at the back of the head and harden into a firm exoskeletal structure.

In its natural state the boney structure is smooth, interrupted only with subtly layered ridges in a pattern that resembles the growth rings of trees or antlers. Minbari however choose to style and sculpt the ridges into certain styles, a process achieved through laborious carving and ritualized binding. This practice of body modification is broadly similar to the ancient Chinese foot binding or Mayan head shaping once practiced on Earth, but is by no means as crude or damaging. From a cultural standpoint, it is akin to the Human and Centauri practices of cutting and styling hair and nails or the Narn practice of buffing their spots.

The binding itself is done with strong moulds (sometimes made from native Minbar crystal) applied to the bone at a key developmental phase and kept under continuous pressure, though care must be taken to keep pressure away from brain and neck. By tradition the moulding process takes place during adolescence, in a developmental period when the bones undergo rapid growth. The final binding ritual is considered something akin to coming of age ritual that marks a passage into adulthood. Once the bone is set, it will essentially hold its basic shape for the rest of its life, though adult Minbari will continue to carve to keep it looking neat and symmetrical.

Within the ridge structure itself is a veiny layer of very raw and tender flesh, akin to the quick under fingernail. Carving too deeply or carelessly will cause a substantial amount of discomfort and bleeding which is why carving is kept to the outer edges only. Members of the Warrior Caste almost exclusively favour a rough, jagged look, that they like to think makes them appear ominous. Some males of the other castes also adopt this more rough hewn style, but not for the same desired effect. Non-warrior females, especially those of the Religious Caste tend to favour smoother, much more rounded and elegant styles. Female warriors on the other hand tend to adopt the same style as male warriors.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 28, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grand Fromage posted:

The headbones are different for the castes but I don't think the makeup is always done consistently.

The Warrior-Caste ones are a lot spikier and intimidating-looking.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
And there's apparently some mechanism for switching castes. We see 1 or 2 Warrior caste Minbari who moved to the Religious caste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Actually maybe it's that the ones for men are spikier than for women, I don't remember.

E2: of course I should've just looked for a sperg wiki

It amuses the hell out of me that Minbari sculpt their head bones using native crystal in a universe where its chief use is data storage. I wonder how many fights break out in Minbari college dorms over someone polishing his head with his roommate's porn collection?