Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Nolgthorn posted:

I can't think of any 3rd person RPGs that are this complicated or that really do the controls better regardless. I'm loving the fistfights too, my favourite feature is that at any time you can seamlessly bring a knife or a gun into them.

I mean, yeah, but tacking "RPG" on there puts it into a very forgiving restricted category. Like saying it's the best game ever released this week.

The more confusing (and vastly more annoying) parts of the game are the deliberate decisions. Hunting, doing a single mission at a time, walking on eggshells because you might criminally invade someone's personal space, forced slow movement everywhere, looting... everything has an extra layer or two of pedantry attached. RDR1 had a perfectly fine model for autopilot on a horse and they've made it objectively worse. It's like someone took the stance that every aspect of the gameplay had a tedium budget that needed to be met.

Then again these are all things being celebrated (like the lack/restriction of fast travel) in reviews, so what the hell do I know.

Edit:

Nolgthorn posted:

Anyone run into the man from new york headed toward Strawberry? I was leading that dude there and then I accidentally went one nanometer too far ahead of him, tried to turn around and accidentally brushed up against him by about a nanometer and the giant pussy ran away. Was wondering what happens if you get him into town.

I saw this on a stream. I think you stop just outside of town and he gives you a tip on something. I can't remember the specifics but it didn't seem important at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So if my dude can't aim for poo poo because he's waving around like he's in detox it's because I've been ignoring one of the cores, or just the outside health bar?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
First mission I listen to blathering forever then when something happens I get stuck and keep spinning in circles trapped in the scenery. Keep getting shot but cant die or unstick myself.

Kinda hypnotic after a while, the music, the gunshots, the villain dialog, the constant spinning.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I really, really like the way you can casually converse with anyone and decide the attitude you want to bring to it. "Defuse" is brilliant.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think I found a sasquatch skeleton?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I think this is going to be one of those games that all the cool kids don't like about a week from now, you bunch of narcissists. :argh:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Nolgthorn posted:

I think this is going to be one of those games that all the cool kids don't like about a week from now, you bunch of narcissists. :argh:

You must have not been reading this thread for the past day. It's already happening

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Over There posted:

You must have not been reading this thread for the past day. It's already happening

They don't really not like it yet, the real hate starts next week after they've used the game like a cheap prostitute.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nolgthorn posted:

They might, but I, an uncool goon dumb bitch, will not. This is going to be one for the ages from what I've played so far.

I get if people want a different pace, but for me, taking things at the pace Rockstar wants is proving incredibly immersive and incredibly enjoyable.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like the game a whole lot cause I played like 10 hours of it today but I do think it's way more niche than I expected from a Rockstar game. I absolutely love the clothing options and just got to level 4 with my horse Walter.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Is this the greatest game ever made? A bunch of internet people who haven't played the game told me that it was.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Is this the greatest game ever made? A bunch of internet people who haven't played the game told me that it was.

Probably not but it's definitely the weirdest and most ambitious big budget AAA western (as in, not japanese, not like Western-western) game I've played. Especially coming from a company like Rockstar with an established successful formula who could have absolutely released "Cowboy GTAV" and made half a billion in day one sales.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was walking around the camp antagonising everyone for no reason and I got to Abigail
Half way through my sentence, John charged up to me and knocked me the gently caress out and I woke up about 12 hours later.
It was awesome.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

goferchan posted:

Probably not but it's definitely the weirdest and most ambitious big budget AAA western (as in, not japanese, not like Western-western) game I've played. Especially coming from a company like Rockstar with an established successful formula who could have absolutely released "Cowboy GTAV" and made half a billion in day one sales.

Sounds good. I'll wait for the PC version in 10 years.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Its good and an interesting take on the open world genre but it is proving to not be everyone's cup of tea. It'll be interesting to see how other studios respond to it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm sad. There was a family out in the woods that I stumbled across. I ran nfo them again and they got attacked by outlaws. While I was loving around with my new horse trying to get my weapons out of the saddlebag while he was bucking and fretting and running away, the family got murdered. If this game were more... normal, it wouldn't have been a problem. I'm really bummed out about the family,it was it was the dad with two incompetent sons building a house , but this is the type of poo poo only this game could provide.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

I'm sad. There was a family out in the woods that I stumbled across. I ran nfo them again and they got attacked by outlaws. While I was loving around with my new horse trying to get my weapons out of the saddlebag while he was bucking and fretting and running away, the family got murdered. If this game were more... normal, it wouldn't have been a problem. I'm really bummed out about the family,it was it was the dad with two incompetent sons building a house , but this is the type of poo poo only this game could provide.

This would be cool concept if there was a leveling system. You start out as some kid who left his dad's farm because he was an alcoholic who beat you something fierce. At first you barely know how to ride a horse or holster a gun, but as the story progresses you gradually gain experience. A Native Americans tribe takes you in and teaches you how to hunt and trap. You hear word of gold in the west. Incredible fortunes to be discovered. Your journey begins.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Did I miss something or is there no auto-travel on horseback?

How else am I gonna put down the controller and pack a bowl enjoy the scenery?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

NJersey posted:

Did I miss something or is there no auto-travel on horseback?

How else am I gonna put down the controller and pack a bowl enjoy the scenery?

Yeah you always need to hold X as far as i can tell which is dumb especially since if you go into cinematic mode your horse will automatically follow paths and stuff anyways

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

I saved them and all the greet/antagonize options became contextual and I was able to poo poo-talk the sons for being cowards and hiding out during the gunfight. Really curious to see if that story keeps developing, they definitely put that homestead in a place where you're meant to ride by it very often

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i keep getting hit on by a gay one-armed civil war veteran.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Whats the point of robbing the doctor store? A million cops showed up right after.

Game is great. I was born to be a cowboy..... woooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

karma_coma posted:

Whats the point of robbing the doctor store? A million cops showed up right after.

Game is great. I was born to be a cowboy..... woooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I did this too. How does the bandit mask work? Sometimes it seems to protect my identity, and other times they know who I am. How in-depth is the simulation? Do you have to change clothes and come into town with the mask on? Or is just putting it on before you commit a crime enough?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
How come I cant buy a whore in the saloon?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I was riding back from the bear lake when I got into a random encounter of a stranger being mauled by a wolf. I killed the wolf, dismounted, approached the wounded guy still on the ground and my horse trotted over and stepped on his head. RIP.

GOTY?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

How come I cant buy a whore in the saloon?

You can buy a lady to wash your dick for fifty cents at the hotel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I ran into a convict who had escaped, tied him up expecting a reward and got reported for kidnapping....

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The game is really struggling against its hyper-realism with poo poo like accidentally killing people with your horse. Everything has consequences but there's a layer between player intent and what actually happens inside the simulation, and that causes dissonance and reduces agency.

Anyway, where and when is the first time you can get a game of poker going? There seems to be a surprising amount of side activities in my texas hold'em simulator before I get to the meat of it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I got arrested because I rode my horse too close to the sheriff

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Pro tip: Manual save a lot. Checkpoints are meaningless outside of scripted mission sequences, so if you happen to walk close to a guy with your horse or press the wrong button you lose your horse+money+stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Pro tip 2: If you want to get Dutch's Tent as the first upgrade, make sure you have $220 (i think?) on hand/in the camp before you turn in the cash from your first loan mission. Otherwise it locks you into the ledger until you buy something else (you can't resupply and must pay for an upgrade) and if you walk away and avoid the ledger it kills you when you try to leave camp. If you leave camp before turning in the mission you can go do whatever to make money but cannot accept missions as you're technically already on one.

Other fun discoveries include being reported for a crime immediately despite killing three people in the middle of the mountains with no one around, checkpointing on death to the middle of nowhere with no horse, and being killed by a deputy who spawned right behind me after I turned to kill all the ones chasing me.

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, I did this too. How does the bandit mask work? Sometimes it seems to protect my identity, and other times they know who I am. How in-depth is the simulation? Do you have to change clothes and come into town with the mask on? Or is just putting it on before you commit a crime enough?

As far as I can tell: If you committed a non-murder crime with the mask, you're fine. If you committed a non-lawman murder but no one saw it and you have a mask on, you're hunted but no bounty. If you kill a lawman, despite no one seeing it and you having a mask, it's automatic bounty and they know who you are. Also this game does the hilarious GTA infinite teleporting cops thing so I'd avoid that mission. "The simulation" is transparent as hell.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
this thread full of people who have never used a controller before and the other group of people who try to break a game and then complain that it's broken has nothing left to offer already

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
the attention to detail in this game is ridiculously good. The blizzard in the start of the game made me feel a little uneasy

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

LENNY!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

this thread full of people who have never used a controller before and the other group of people who try to break a game and then complain that it's broken has nothing left to offer already

I've never used a controller before but I've killed and skinned a buck. It's nothing like this game portrays. It's hard and takes a lot of time.

2/10 - Unrealistic buck skinning.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dejan Bimble posted:

Speaking of cowboy games, I'm sure you remember the very fun sunset riders, but do you remember the excellent, comandos-style "Desperados?"

It was cool! It was ported to mac 2 years ago but it didn't work for me, have to play it on me thinkpad

Desperados 3 is in development right now!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Got a random mission to get rid of a body for someone. Did that, but immediately got a bounty for murder. Was that a glitch, someone seeing me dump the body (didn't notice any bystanders), or was maybe the mission scripted to frame you?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like sitting in the audience yelling dumbshit complements at the onstage performance.

Also being a cowboy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

canepazzo posted:

Got a random mission to get rid of a body for someone. Did that, but immediately got a bounty for murder. Was that a glitch, someone seeing me dump the body (didn't notice any bystanders), or was maybe the mission scripted to frame you?

That son of a bitch set you up!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why do people in this thread keep using the word simulation? Is there really any more to it than any other modern open world game? I've yet to see any videos etc that suggest something amazing is going on behind the scenes, and can't see it in game either (Chapter 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

canepazzo posted:

I managed to get him in the pig pen without being spotted.