Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Garfield kills people?

What do you think happened to Lyman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Nah, the man and snake have an entirely different relationship dynamic than Garfield and Jon. They love and support each other to the extent that the dude's pleasantly thralling for the snake's insatiable murder lust. Also a snake on a leash is wonderful, what's wrong with you.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Grendels Dad posted:

Garfield kills people?

*takes pipe out of mouth* in the sense that he represents the apex of vain, selfish and indifferent western overconsumption, yes, there is much blood on his paws *places pipes back in mouth, begins sucking it into mouth while chewing, shattering teeth and tearing apart the soft palate with splinters*

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Fat snake:3:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

ban this guy for letting his mom use his account

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Disgusting Coward posted:

ban this guy for letting his mom use his account

Ban this goon for having their head in the gutter. :mad:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is the ultimate early 2000's webcomic

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I think I remember that the girl with the green hair was unfairly maligned for loving people's dads.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Volcott posted:

I think I remember that the girl with the green hair was unfairly maligned for loving people's dads.

These webcomics were mostly awful but sometimes I'm nostalgic for that more innocent time. Maybe I should start reading Sluggy Freelance again

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phlegmish posted:

These webcomics were mostly awful but sometimes I'm nostalgic for that more innocent time. Maybe I should start reading Sluggy Freelance again

gently caress me, I just checked and it's still going. HOW?!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
And his art hasn't changed even the tiniest bit lmao

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

mysterious frankie posted:

*takes pipe out of mouth* in the sense that he represents the apex of vain, selfish and indifferent western overconsumption, yes, there is much blood on his paws *places pipes back in mouth, begins sucking it into mouth while chewing, shattering teeth and tearing apart the soft palate with splinters*

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

I'm so confused by this.
germanhumor.jpg

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

There was a comic by the same artists which showed a dude riding Hitler and a policeman was telling him "Wenn Sie keinen Führerschein haben, dürfen Sie auch keinen reiten!" (If you don't have a driver's licence you're not allowed to ride one) and it took me way too long until I finally made the connection between Führer and Führerschein :v:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

(x)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I didn't know Gamemaster Anthony could draw!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

I mean, Benedict Cumberbatch signing on did pique my interest a little, but jeez dude

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

This is the ultimate early 2000's webcomic

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

aardwolf posted:

What do you think happened to Lyman?

I can't believe I've brought this up in more than one thread, but it's canon (early 2000's flash haunted house puzzle game) that Lyman is locked in the basement.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

Good God, step back from the brink of madness.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*curls up in the corner*

loving lol

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Garfield kills people?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Jan Romare is a Swedish national treasure IMO.
E: gently caress, was. He passed away last year :(

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Woebin posted:

Jan Romare is a Swedish national treasure IMO.
E: gently caress, was. He passed away last year :(
Aw, I didn't know about that. I always liked his comics. But then it also feels appropriate to post another one of his comics.

It's called "Himlens Änglar", meaning just "Heaven's Angels". A reoccuring theme in it is that when you die, you just turn into an angel on the spot and carry on whatever you were doing, with angels often hanging around on Earth, but not visible to humans. God and the Devil are also reoccuring characters, as well as an angel with glasses serving as God's secretary. Though, God isn't quite as common a character as these following strips might imply, it's just that most of the strips I could find included Him.

"Is that him?"

"Wake up, Lord, it's time to become omnipresent again"

"...and now if you click on that one the Red Sea will part"

"Go see what he wants"

"Oh my Lord!"
"How about playing now and talking less"

"No, it's called clearcutting"

"He was so full of antics"
"And now he just lies there"

"We'll have to bring that one down to earth"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Worksafe Oglaf continues to be the best Oglaf!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Everyone remembers Whomp, right? That funny comic about the really fat guy who loves McNuggets and thinks anime is blood.

Yeah, good times.

So, anyway.

I know it's for Halloween, but talk about a sudden swerve of an otherwise very PG comic.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Oct 28, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KennyMan666 posted:

Aw, I didn't know about that. I always liked his comics. But then it also feels appropriate to post another one of his comics.

It's called "Himlens Änglar", meaning just "Heaven's Angels". A reoccuring theme in it is that when you die, you just turn into an angel on the spot and carry on whatever you were doing, with angels often hanging around on Earth, but not visible to humans. God and the Devil are also reoccuring characters, as well as an angel with glasses serving as God's secretary. Though, God isn't quite as common a character as these following strips might imply, it's just that most of the strips I could find included Him.

"Is that him?"

"Go see what he wants"

"Oh my Lord!"

Those remind me of some early Sinfest strips, only good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

KennyMan666 posted:

"Is that him?"

"Go see what he wants"

"Oh my Lord!"

Oh yeah, I translated a couple of Himlens Änglar strips and posted them in the Comic Strip Megathread a few years ago, but it didn't seem as well liked as Pyton (and I agree, Pyton is the better comic) so I never got terribly far. I can check if I've still got the strips I did scan and translate lying around somewhere though.

It was just never as visually clever as Pyton, and way more reliant on dialog.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KennyMan666 posted:

I guess that comic doesn't really translate to English. "Föryngringsyta" is a spin term, used by the logging industry since the Swedish word for clear cut ("kalhygge") was made politically charged by the environmental movement of the 80's. The literal meaning would be something like "rejuvenation area", I can't come up with a good English translation. The joke works so damnably well in Swedish though.

Sorry to hear he passed, he was pretty big in the dailies when I was growing up.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess that comic doesn't really translate to English. "Föryngringsyta" is a spin term, used by the logging industry since the Swedish word for clear cut ("kalhygge") was made politically charged by the environmental movement of the 80's. The literal meaning would be something like "rejuvenation area", I can't come up with a good English translation. The joke works so damnably well in Swedish though.

Sorry to hear he passed, he was pretty big in the dailies when I was growing up.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the translation of that one. I wasn't entirely sure about what "föryngringsyta" meant, but it seemed to just be a different word for "kalhygge", so I went from that. Wasn't aware of that history of the term, so that means I didn't even get the original joke. So it goes.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whatever the implications this would seem to be related to slutavverkning hope this helps. Btw I'm a master at Swedish and shop frequently for snus at IKEA.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Also of note is that he is the only cartoonist (that I know of) who was also a diplomat. He worked for the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs between 1963 and 1998 when he retired and became a full time cartoonist. I always loved his style. RIP Jan.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

If I were to translate that one into Danish, I'd probably use byfornyelse. "Urban renewal" in English and "sanering" in Swedish. Not an accurate translation, but it works imo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why does he wait for the bell?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know it's for Halloween, but talk about a sudden swerve of an otherwise very PG comic.

Why does he have Kandor on his dresser?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Beachcomber posted:

not impressive thumbing your nose at attendance if services haven't started yet

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

IDGI

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Beachcomber posted:

Why does he have Kandor on his dresser?

It's where he kept the mysterious lump which grew out of his chest and was whispering at him to murder people.

Also, he stitched the lump into the guy he beat with the wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

In Dragonball Z, there's a secret special technique a few characters learn where they do a silly dance and merge into a more powerful warrior.