Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Stalker is just too perfect I think, it's always gonna be the reigning champ. There were a few portions of Andrei Rublev where I felt it dragged a little too much(a funny thing to say about Tarkovsky, I admit), whereas I wasn't bored for a single frame of Stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

smallmouth posted:

I think Andrei Rublev is my favorite Tarkovsky film.

It's the best by a small landslide, I'd say.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Stalker is just too perfect I think, it's always gonna be the reigning champ. There were a few portions of Andrei Rublev where I felt it dragged a little too much(a funny thing to say about Tarkovsky, I admit), whereas I wasn't bored for a single frame of Stalker.

It's kind of the reverse for me. I've seen Stalker a number of times, and goddamn is it beautiful, but kinetic it is not. It drags for me hella hard by the time they get to the tunnel, in the same way that The Sacrifice drags about 3/4ths of the way through.

Solaris is far more glacially paced than either, but I never seem to notice it because I am transfixed by Hari. And Rublev doesn't drag for a moment when I watch it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Mahasamatman posted:

Starting a movie collection with that flash sale. Andre Rublev, Stalker, and Night of the Living Dead were my buys. Brazil, Fire Walk With Me and Hoop Dreams almost made the cut, and I was tempted to buy Repo Man having never seen it just on word of mouth from people I respect. Gonna squirrel away some overtime money for the longer sale whenever that is.

I believe the next big sale is November so get to stacking!

Repo Man rocks. It’s weird, it has heart. It’s very unique in its influences, that specific time in 80s California hardcore punk culture.

If you’ve never seen it, consider Thief. One of my favorite all-time movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

If you’ve never seen it, consider Thief. One of my favorite all-time movies.

The opening 10 minutes of Thief are loving magical.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to DVD Beaver, the Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema set is region free.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

That's got to be a first for Criterion, right? I assume it's possibly got something to do with getting additional region permissions because of Filmstruck or something?

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 21, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

That's got to be a first for Criterion, right? I assume it's possibly got something to do with getting additional region permissions because of Filmstruck or something?

They've actually started to encode for A+B on some titles getting US and UK releases around the same time:

Smithereens
A Raisin in the Sun
The Magnificent Ambersons
Cold Water
Shampoo
sex, lies, and videotape
Night of the Living Dead

The main reason they have region locked is that some licensors require it and they've opted just to put it on everything. UK labels still stick to a title-by-title basis, which is why Indicator doesn't lock any Sony-owned films, but their recent Fox and Universal films are.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I’ve been wondering lately if region locking requirements are the reason we haven’t heard anything about 4k yet from Criterion or other boutique labels.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FancyMike posted:

I’ve been wondering lately if region locking requirements are the reason we haven’t heard anything about 4k yet from Criterion or other boutique labels.

Maybe it's just a case of creating a niche market within an already niche market.

Most people do not care about 4k.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zandert33 posted:

Maybe it's just a case of creating a niche market within an already niche market.

Most people do not care about 4k.

The thing about Criterion, though, is that the Venn diagram of "people who currently care about 4k" and "people who buy Criterion releases" is a smaller circle enveloped entirely within a big circle

Like, that's not necessarily incorrect thinking, but their library would contain some of the safest bets of any possible 4k release

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The thing about Criterion, though, is that the Venn diagram of "people who currently care about 4k" and "people who buy Criterion releases" is a smaller circle enveloped entirely within a big circle

Like, that's not necessarily incorrect thinking, but their library would contain some of the safest bets of any possible 4k release

That's technically even worse, because it'd be cannibalising their own market. Unless they switched to exclusively releasing 4K/BD dual packs, they'd double manufacturing to two SKUs for the same amount of sales.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean they may get around to it. But they would be then supporting three formats at once, unless they discontinued DVD, and that's still aways from dead.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

4K isn't even used in a lot of theaters

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true. One of the biggest purchasers of Criterions are public libraries and they don't even buy Blu-rays, let alone 4K. Also you'd be surprised how many Criterion collectors still prefer DVDs. One thing I've learned from all the Criterion forums/groups I frequent is that you don't have to be a videophile to be a cinephile.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

UHD Blu-ray has been around for 2.5 years which is about how long it took for Criterion to put out their first Blu-rays at the beginning of that format.

edit: It's not just Criterion, we haven't heard anything as far as I know from any smaller labels about 4k discs other than seemingly every movie getting a new 4k remaster. That's why I'm wondering if it might be harder to license a film for release on a region free format.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 22, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anyone know if the Filmstruck $10 discounts last until the November sale? I missed out on the flash one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As far as I know, their gift codes never expire. I had a $10 gift code from their Eraserhead recall for two years before I used it. They're more gift certificates than coupons.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mine from the summer still worked.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh gently caress oh god oh man

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

So Filmstruck announced they are shutting down at the end of November. Wonder what will happen will all the digital only stuff they have.

quote:

News About FilmStruck

We have some sad news to share: earlier this morning, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced plans to shut down FilmStruck, the streaming service that has been our happy home for the last two years. Like many of you, we are disappointed by this decision. When we launched the Criterion Channel in 2016, we had two goals: to ensure that our entire streaming library remained available, and to address our audience in our own voice. We’re proud of the work we’ve done, bringing curated programming and the full range of supplemental features to the streaming space, championing a diverse array of filmmakers from beyond our collection and creating original content that invites you into exciting conversations about cinema culture.

All this is very new, and we’ll be sure to keep you updated as we learn more details. But rest assured that we are still committed to restoring and preserving the best of world cinema and bringing it to you in any medium we can. In the weeks ahead, we’ll keep you informed about the great programming you can watch on the Channel before it shuts down on November 29, and we’ll be trying to find ways we can bring our library and original content back to the digital space as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who enjoyed FilmStruck, and we hope you’ll join us as we look forward to what the future brings.

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 26, 2018

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Maybe Criterion will go back to Hulu, is there some reason I'm not aware of that would prevent that from happening?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

While nowhere near as comprehensive, there still is Kanopy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This is 100% because of the AT&T merger. They've been shutting down a lot of other TW operations. They also recently closed Super Deluxe - who was actually going to premiere a short on Filmstruck next month.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was just about to subscribe so I could watch Jigoku for Halloween.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This loving BLOWS

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I can’t find what happened to the Filmstruck thread, but can I suggest during this final month that we post recs of stuff to watch on FS that may have slipped under the radar? I’m planning on dropping my spooky Halloween watch right now just so I can watch as many of these movies as I can.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This really sucks. And it only solidifies my commitment to physical media as the true way to appreciate movies at home. There are just no guarantees that the films and streaming services available today will still be available tomorrow.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Detective No. 27 posted:

While nowhere near as comprehensive, there still is Kanopy.

Yeah, Kanopy loving owns.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I wish my library did Kanopy :(

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Goddammit

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spatulater bro! posted:

This really sucks. And it only solidifies my commitment to physical media as the true way to appreciate movies at home. There are just no guarantees that the films and streaming services available today will still be available tomorrow.

Also a watchlist doesn't make you seem like an erudite and cultured individual *puts Harakiri next to The Hangover on the blu-ray shelf*

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

This sucks but at least I now feel like less of a dumbass for buying Eclipse boxsets.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe Criterion will go back to Hulu, is there some reason I'm not aware of that would prevent that from happening?

They might not want to pay for it anymore, which is why they stopped originally IIRC

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I can’t find what happened to the Filmstruck thread, but can I suggest during this final month that we post recs of stuff to watch on FS that may have slipped under the radar? I’m planning on dropping my spooky Halloween watch right now just so I can watch as many of these movies as I can.

anything not on disc yet, e.g.

most of the oshima
most the naruse
yohiki / princess yang kwei fei
five women around utamaro
the 47 ronin
where is the friend's house?
the trial of joan of arc
humanity and paper baloons
eyes do not want to close at all times, or perhaps one day rome will allow herself to choose in her turn
querelle
chinese roulette
masques
l'amore
la paura
socrates
the machine that kills bad people
india matri bhumi

im sure theres more but these would be ones i'd prioritize

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zandert33 posted:

So Filmstruck announced they are shutting down at the end of November. Wonder what will happen will all the digital only stuff they have.

Is your blu ray player taking up TOO MUCH SPACE?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Future of Cinematic Restoration: Streaming Video

Tired of breaking your feet tripping over all of those cumbersome discs? YOU'RE SO STUPID!

Streaming Video, MEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also I’d point to Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla because those discs are still OOP and cost a pretty penny.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh gently caress they still haven't even announced a boxset for those yet. And those are supposedly new restorations, right?

This whole thing is a loving tragedy. You can't even boycott WarnerMedia because it's like a third of media and the other two thirds are owned by Disney.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I never got to experience Filmstruck because they dragged their feet on apps for Sony or Xbox after chopping off their own feet, mimicking future Criterion release Saw (2004).