Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Where everybody at? Speak up nerds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Today's workout was fighting with my too short jack and tire to replace an ABS sensor.

Debating if I want to lift weights tomorrow or do the water aerobics workout.... Or both. Either way, I'm replacing the blend door actuator on my truck afterwards. (I'd do it tonight but some idiot(me) told the store the wrong part number....)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm back doing keto, ate a decent lunch at about noon, but got wrecked with the opening cardio and nearly passed out. Still finished strong.

However, I need to work on some sort of pre-workout prep around 2pm.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had too little sleep this weekend and too many events at breweries, so I had to resort to using DMAA (that "expired" in 2013) to get through my workouts, and everything just felt heavy. I'm already dieting, but I cut food calories down even more to allow for beer, which apparently is not ideal for holding onto muscle/strength.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008
I've yogaed my way to a less sore back and clutch knee and a touch of flexibility. I still look like an imbecile tumbling in or out, but I'm just grateful I can.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Still biking to and from work. Been dealing with migraines lately, which is not good for my motivation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Gonna hit the gym tonight. More stretching and body weight stuff and then bike, hopefully.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Been 20 days sober now. It has SERIOUSLY helped on the belly fat and seeing a general dropping of body fat % across the board.

SHOULDER DAY BEST DAY OBVS

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Water aerobics bitches. What.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Curled up in a ball of depression and pain thanks to the weather. Getting absolutely nothing done, might try to go swim in the morning and see if it makes my knees stop screaming.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

My workout plan starts me at 15 rep sets and gradually lowers the reps to a minimum of 4. This week is the second cycle of minimums and I've definitely gotten stronger!

185x5x3, and a 195x5x1 on Bench. I can finally do multiple reps of 225 now!
130x5x3 on incline dumbell press.
70x5x1 80x5x1 90x5x1 on incline flyes. When I started 3 months ago I think I was doing 20.
70x5x3 on cable crossover! I remember struggling to do 30x5.
77x5x2 82.5x5x2 on tricep pushdown. Started around 40?

I feel STRONK.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I skipped both my weekend workouts to go to the Juggernaut Training Systems performance summit. Had some big names like Mike Israetel and Chad Wesley Smith, along with people I didn't recognize but who gave interesting talks. Judging from the show of hands, I felt like I was the only person in attendance who wasn't a personal trainer of some sort, but it was still interesting. I've been trying to work on my sleep hygiene, but I'm going to try harder after hearing James Hoffmann's talk.

Chad's wife, Marissa Inda, and another Juggernaut power lifter, Kristen Dunsmore, were there selling various books, and have to be the most jacked girls I've seen in person. Pretty impressive, but Marissa said she'd been lifting since she was 17 and she's now 42, so plenty of time to get ripped.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

185x5x3, and a 195x5x1 on Bench. I can finally do multiple reps of 225 now!

I've been doing incline bench, then flys, then bench for a long time now, just because that's whats in my workout template I paid for, but I'm really tempted to start benching first just to get it up higher. Maybe it's not ideal for hypertrophy, but I'd like to be hitting 225x10, whereas right now I'm doing 150 to 165, depending on the week.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 23, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I'd like to be hitting 225x10

Race ya to it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'll race you bitches.
Soon as I get over this fever.

I'm already at 3x225 and 5@200, so it won't be long.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I never feel like I make any progress getting stronger when I lift. Probably a three part problem with one part being consistency :effort:, and one part stale routine (not mixing it up and changing up the exercises and sets and reps often enough), and lastly diet. I don't know that I eat enough to get bigger/stronger, but I don't really lose weight either when I try to focus on lifting. I tried 5x5 for awhile but my back and hips are saying "gently caress no" to doing squats or deadlift again. I can't seem to get my hips flexible enough (not OEM hips, either...) to do either well enough to not hurt myself rounding my back, so it ain't worth it anymore.

Any advice or suggested reading/routines? I'll have to wait a bit til I'm healed up but maybe this is something I can focus on over winter before bike season starts back up.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Every weight routine is going to have squats and deadlifts, so work on learning how to do those properly would be where I'd start.

Both lifts have the hip hinge as part of their movement, and learning how to do that really helped me a lot. It'll be necessary for other things, too, like fuckin kettlebell swings, or what you'd find in other programs.

Can you get by without doing those? Yeah... But then you may be spending way too much time doing other exercises to make up for them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Suburban Dad posted:

I never feel like I make any progress getting stronger when I lift. Probably a three part problem with one part being consistency :effort:, and one part stale routine (not mixing it up and changing up the exercises and sets and reps often enough), and lastly diet. I don't know that I eat enough to get bigger/stronger, but I don't really lose weight either when I try to focus on lifting. I tried 5x5 for awhile but my back and hips are saying "gently caress no" to doing squats or deadlift again. I can't seem to get my hips flexible enough (not OEM hips, either...) to do either well enough to not hurt myself rounding my back, so it ain't worth it anymore.

Any advice or suggested reading/routines? I'll have to wait a bit til I'm healed up but maybe this is something I can focus on over winter before bike season starts back up.

If you're not aware of Squat University, now you are. The advice in here is loving fantastic and there's SO MANY VIDEOS about a million and one different niggles and techniques. Maybe give them a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_I2WZK8IY

His channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyPYQTT20IgzVw92LDvtClw/videos

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Maybe you guys both missed that I have two hip replacements and maybe those are out of the question...

Still, I'll check out the links.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I caught it. I guess you'd want to speak to a physiotherapist in your case then.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Race ya to it.

I'm dropping weight and while I'm down 3 lbs from bench day last week, I'm was one rep short on my 2nd and 3rd sets of incline BP today compared to last week. At this rate I'm not going to hit 10x225 until I can bulk next year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Have less that 2 more weeks of bike racing left and 3 or 4 races. Have two more wednesday nights, there's one in Helena this weekend, and then the regional series final is nov 3rd here in town at a brewery. cat 1/2/3 race at night and everyone else has been drinking all day so it's a pretty fun time. Goal is to get on the podium in cat 3.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you're not aware of Squat University, now you are. The advice in here is loving fantastic and there's SO MANY VIDEOS about a million and one different niggles and techniques. Maybe give them a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_I2WZK8IY

His channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyPYQTT20IgzVw92LDvtClw/videos

Cool. I am always pretty worried I'm doing things wrong. But managed to not hurt myself this spring so there's that. I found the descriptions on stronglifts 5x5 to be really good so that was essentially the workouts I was doing.

https://stronglifts.com/squat/

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Bodyspace app has some awesome workouts that change up minimally every week. Once you learn the eccentricities of the app it's pretty great. You could do the 12 weeks to shredded or whatever that Im doing and just skip leg day (THE HORROR)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

I'll race you bitches.
Soon as I get over this fever.

I'm already at 3x225 and 5@200, so it won't be long.

Ok fine race YOU to it. I am literally right there at 225x3 and 195x5 but I'm gonna go for max reps on 225 tonight with the Mrs' balls in my face to see where I really am.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah I caught it. I guess you'd want to speak to a physiotherapist in your case then.

Doc said I wouldn't be limited in any activity, but in practice I can't get my hips to loosen up. Not sure if it's the hardware or the software at this point, but after tons of stretching I didn't get anywhere.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Bodyspace app has some awesome workouts that change up minimally every week. Once you learn the eccentricities of the app it's pretty great. You could do the 12 weeks to shredded or whatever that Im doing and just skip leg day (THE HORROR)

I'll look into it, thanks.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Suburban Dad posted:

Maybe you guys both missed that I have two hip replacements and maybe those are out of the question...

Still, I'll check out the links.

No, I missed that, but now that I look again I see it. So, yeah, I don't know. Definitely talk to a physio first.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Ok fine race YOU to it. I am literally right there at 225x3 and 195x5 but I'm gonna go for max reps on 225 tonight with the Mrs' balls in my face to see where I really am.

Go for it. It'll be a minute before I am on bench day, but I might do it earlier just out of spite.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Go for it. It'll be a minute before I am on bench day, but I might do it earlier just out of spite.

Spite is an EXCELLENT motivator!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
The best, even.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Doc said I wouldn't be limited in any activity, but in practice I can't get my hips to loosen up. Not sure if it's the hardware or the software at this point, but after tons of stretching I didn't get anywhere.

That's where a physio comes in. Might be worth getting a session or two to see what's up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I'll look into it, thanks.

Check out CARS/MoveWellDurham/Kinstretch. I know a person who could help 1:1 (for a reasonable$) if you want. It helped a lot with some stuff i just couldn't get to loosen up thru stretching or gentle work.
aka: physio, but slightly different.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Check out CARS/MoveWellDurham/Kinstretch. I know a person who could help 1:1 (for a reasonable$) if you want. It helped a lot with some stuff i just couldn't get to loosen up thru stretching or gentle work.
aka: physio, but slightly different.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Where ya at, sucka?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

225x3 lmao

It was right after a workout. Gonna try again tonight! You?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I did our group workout tonight and managed fine. I might go tomorrow and just bench to see what I can manage. Just depends if I feel well and if this fever is gone for good.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tuesday was my big chest + tri day, but I did 185x11 on the bench press this morning and it felt heavy. Probably nothing to do with the fact we had a bunch of mai tais and IPAs last night. Signed up for another DXA scan in two weeks, I'd like to be another four pounds down by then so I can see how my fat loss vs muscle loss is doing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Weight still dropping and I'm starting to actually notice changes, like shirts drape just a little looser than they used to. A little more of this and I might be able to get away with wearing the L-T sizes that actually look good on my frame!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's a game changer when you yourself start to notice results. Made me work that much harder.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
drat right. I'm starting to feel and see more definition in places, so now I want to work harder to make that definition clearer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AdiaBOOtic posted:

It's a game changer when you yourself start to notice results. Made me work that much harder.

For sure. When I dropped under 200 I was happy, when I hit 169 I sat on the floor and cried.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

For sure. When I dropped under 200 I was happy, when I hit 169 I sat on the floor and cried.

Pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I did a deadlift today.