Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, there've been lots of discussions about IWD1.
The short version is that what's good in BG, especially BG1, will be good in IWD1 as well with a few caveats:
First, there aren't a lot of Mage battles. Enemy groups tend to be quite large even early on.
Second, itemization is random to a degree. You're not guaranteed good weapons of every kind. And if you're playing the Enhanced Edition you're dealing with the narrow BG2 proficiency system on top of that. Definitely check past discussions in the thread for that.
Third, the scroll situation isn't great. You can make a party with a Mage and a multiclassed Mage or Bard work but that's about the extent of it.
Fourth, a lot of spells that are party-friendly in BG do friendly fire damage. Chain Lightning for example; that was an interesting surprise when I played the EE for the first time and made an Avenger.
Lastly, Druids and Bards are stronger. Not necessarily the strongest still but Totemic Druids and Blades in particular are definitely worth taking. Pickpocketing is also actually worth having and at least some Bard kits can cover that.

For IWD2, advice can get a lot more specific because builds are a thing in it. But general advice for the 3rd edition games holds up: Don't multiclass casters extensively. Something like a level of Rogue for a Wizard to cover trap disarming is alright. A Cleric taking 4 Fighter levels later on to reach an extra attack per round at the highest level is also fine but probably won't actually pay off. On the other hand, multiclass non-casters extensively to cherry pick good abilities.
If you're up for the micromanagement it entails, IWD2 is the perfect game for an all caster party although the scroll situation is still not the best. Sorcerer, Wizard, Bard with a Rogue level, Druid, tanky Cleric (Mask works well as a deity for this), Cleric with Domain spells focused on support or blasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pentyne posted:

So BG2 has tons of guides about player builds, tips, play it hardcore strats etc. but it doesnt seem like theres anything comparable for IWD 1 or 2. The second one especially since it does a full switch to 3rd ed rule set and thats wildly different from 2/2.5.
You can always ask the thread for specific advice if you arent sure about something, for either game.

For a reference point for a party in IWD that has worked way better than I expected in my current (first) full playthrough, my party consists of:
Half-Elf Bard
Halfling Cleric of Lathander (I dont think the variety of Cleric matters, I dont think I've used a Lathander ability once)
Human Fighter 7 => Thief x
Human Swashbuckler 6 => Fighter x

The bard covers basic arcane casting and the songs are actually remarkably good, unlike BG. The one selling point for me, for both quality of life and effectiveness, was the song you get at 11th level that grants -2 AC (this is a good thing because lol 2e) and 2 health a round. There are other useful songs too, like one that causes confusion amongst your enemies.
Fighter 7 => Thief x lets me assassinate the gently caress out of mages (because backstabs cure mages) with a Grande Mastered weapon of choice (in this case Katana) and be a second-line fighter once the main fighter draws aggro
Swashbuckler 6 gives you -2 AC and +2 to hit and +2 to damage and some thief skills then Fighter to infinity gives you the best melee you can ask for. My Fighter specialized in Longswords and turned into a muderblender once I hit Grand Master Longsword and 3 pips in Two Weapon Fighting. I have their AC down to -16 while dual wielding.
The Cleric does cleric things and being mono-class makes dealing with all the undead in the game a good laugh:

As for IWD2, one of my favorite games, there are a ton of possibilities. Many of them are great but there are a few bad ones. I think my favorite party was two Fighter-Thieves, two Clerics, and two Sorcerers. Wizard Styles advice was all good here. If you want more details I'm happy to type up more words about it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Last I checked IWD2 was old enough for there to be some good optimization guides on gamefaqs of all places. It is very worth reading a IWD2 specific guide on the weird way races work in that game and why it makes svirfneblin of all things the best option.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Checking in to whinge that there probably wont ever be an IWD2:EE. Its the one Infinity Engine game that still runs like poo poo on modern PCs and really needs the Beamdog treatment. I know people rag on Beamdog a lot, but man playing these games in their EE forms is much easier and stable than running them otherwise. Icewind Dale II is really underrated, I really liked having the different subrace options and even though I had no idea about the mechanics of DnD I totally made a Drow Elf, Deep Gnome and Dueregar team when I got the game.

Do we have a Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 thread going? I have just decided to play through the whole NWN2 package (played the OC back when it was released, but never any of the expansions). This one works OK through GOG, but is just so astoundingly ugly compared to the Infinity Engine games that I am wondering why my teenage self thought it was the business. My wood elf bard looks like he has beamed down in a UFO to abduct the poor citizens of Habour-town. Also the voice acting of your foster father Daegun relative to Gorion is just something to behold.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

mitochondritom posted:

Checking in to whinge that there probably wont ever be an IWD2:EE. Its the one Infinity Engine game that still runs like poo poo on modern PCs and really needs the Beamdog treatment. I know people rag on Beamdog a lot, but man playing these games in their EE forms is much easier and stable than running them otherwise. Icewind Dale II is really underrated, I really liked having the different subrace options and even though I had no idea about the mechanics of DnD I totally made a Drow Elf, Deep Gnome and Dueregar team when I got the game.

Do we have a Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 thread going? I have just decided to play through the whole NWN2 package (played the OC back when it was released, but never any of the expansions). This one works OK through GOG, but is just so astoundingly ugly compared to the Infinity Engine games that I am wondering why my teenage self thought it was the business. My wood elf bard looks like he has beamed down in a UFO to abduct the poor citizens of Habour-town. Also the voice acting of your foster father Daegun relative to Gorion is just something to behold.

Just consider this the general d&d computer game thread. Like I said a few posts ago I'm about to play NWN2 again too I think. I have a physical copy right here but just might get the GOG package because it's only $20 and that's the only way to get mask of the betrayer as far as I can tell, and that's the best part of it. I'd played rpgs before that but it was babby's first strict d&d rpg so I think it'll be fun to go totally destroy it now after playing the infinity engine games.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
After playing through Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and IWD, it naturally follows that I play through IWD2 next, but I'm afraid of doing it since I'm used to the Enhanced Edition versions of the games. And if I recall correctly IWD2 is pretty good compared to the first one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

After playing through Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and IWD, it naturally follows that I play through IWD2 next, but I'm afraid of doing it since I'm used to the Enhanced Edition versions of the games. And if I recall correctly IWD2 is pretty good compared to the first one.
I've played IWD2 as recently as two years ago and I didn't have any trouble at all. I have the Stream version though.
I think the story is more entertaining than IWD1's story by a long shot and really like the little jokes that they sneak in here and there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

Just post it here dude, it uses D&D mechanics.

Just so happens I'm playing through base NWN2 right now as well, we can laugh at the bugs together.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Cythereal posted:

Oh, I completely forgot about that other one, because Jesus Christ what is wrong with you if he's in the party.

Say what you will about MotB party members, but they are all so very memorable, including that one. They completely put the fantasy trope party members of the main campaign to complete and utter shame.

But that guy, geez... Not subtle in the slightest, but interesting as all heck to watch nonetheless.

Mechanically too if you know what you're doing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've played IWD2 as recently as two years ago and I didn't have any trouble at all. I have the Stream version though.
I think the story is more entertaining than IWD1's story by a long shot and really like the little jokes that they sneak in here and there.

I have the disc version and I've never had a problem running it. My problems with IWD2 are two specific parts of the game, one right after the other, where either they're buggy as all hell or I've never quite gotten what I'm supposed to be doing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Multiclass in IWD, don't bother with the aggravation of dual classing. In one of the early dungeons you will run into enemies that cast Dispel and remove your buffs. This is strangely never seen again and you can comfortably buff and turn enemies into mincemeat with multiclassed fighters from that point on.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Another iwd tip is 'dont make everyone a mage' because spell scrolls are pretty limited. Id say 2 mages at most

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
For IWD I like to have a Fighter dual-classed to Cleric and/or an Undead Hunter Pally. If using a small party, a F/C multi works well too. With a high enough turn undead you can cast invisibility on your dude and just walk around exploding all undead around you. Makes certain undead-heavy sections a breeze.

I soloed IWDEE + expansions with a FMC and am now going through HoF mode. I have to say - for HoF, Black Blade of Disaster is the best level 9 mage spell, especially when coupled with Improved Haste.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you’re playing the EE of IWD, the built in party is what I used and thought it was very well balanced.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oh IWD2 tip if you havent already started, small parties are best imo. My favorite run and consequently the only one that completed it was a wizard cleric duo. The scaling is actually pretty nice and you end up challenged but not overwhelmed the entire game, plus you never have to micro as many units

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Oh IWD2 tip if you havent already started, small parties are best imo. My favorite run and consequently the only one that completed it was a wizard cleric duo. The scaling is actually pretty nice and you end up challenged but not overwhelmed the entire game, plus you never have to micro as many units
It helps that Wizards and Clerics are really OP in 3e. I think if you know what you're doing, any small party will succeed because you will be individually over-levelled to compensate for there being fewer bodies.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

BG2:EE question

If I enter Watcher's Keep exterior zone or WK level 1 early in my game (low char level, under 10) will that be a bad idea for any reason? Like, I know first time entering a zone some enemy spawns and enemy levels are fixed forever. I don't want to gimp the WK area. But I want to go there to pick up the potion pouch and ammo belt. Can I even get to the ammo belt at party level 8-9?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pmchem posted:

BG2:EE question

If I enter Watcher's Keep exterior zone or WK level 1 early in my game (low char level, under 10) will that be a bad idea for any reason? Like, I know first time entering a zone some enemy spawns and enemy levels are fixed forever. I don't want to gimp the WK area. But I want to go there to pick up the potion pouch and ammo belt. Can I even get to the ammo belt at party level 8-9?

Nope and yep, respectively. Thats a 100% legit thing to do that many also do for that exact reason. The first floor is a mood-setter rather than an outright challenge, and the exit is easy enough to reach.

Speaking of the other greatest dungeon in the series, wow Durlag's Tower is a lot more insane than I remembered. Literally. Durlag was a madman. The pack of gnolls on the third floor exterior do a good job evoking the stronghold from Chapter 2, and providing a nice contrast to "The Room Where Fireballs Explode Every Round For No Reason, Hope You Got Haste."

The sparring dummies as door controls in the second level was not intuitive at all, but all the rest of it is 100% on point. Its not just that the levels are good and the atmosphere a great transition from "spooky dungeon" to "monument to utter madness", its that the arrangement and layout of them walk you through a story of an adventurer who pushed around too many of the wrong kind of people. EE improvements made it far, far more pleasant to play as well.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Word of warning about WK's first floor: there can be (that's right, they don't always spawn) 2 beefed up, hasted vampiric wraiths in the central room that will murder the gently caress out of your PC (they ignore everyone else). I lost several ironman runs because I keep forgetting about them.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Suspicious posted:

Word of warning about WK's first floor: there can be (that's right, they don't always spawn) 2 beefed up, hasted vampiric wraiths in the central room that will murder the gently caress out of your PC (they ignore everyone else). I lost several ironman runs because I keep forgetting about them.

That's what ended my only ironman run. First time I ran into them, too.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Say what you will about MotB party members, but they are all so very memorable, including that one. They completely put the fantasy trope party members of the main campaign to complete and utter shame.

But that guy, geez... Not subtle in the slightest, but interesting as all heck to watch nonetheless.

Mechanically too if you know what you're doing.

While I find that "guy" amusing, I can't get myself to give up Grumpy Rainbow Bear Grandpa (outside of the one playthrough where I try out "that guy").

I do wish there was a way to learn how to eat people If you had GRBG with you. Stupid hill tribe.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

is there a good nwn2 option if you have a mac. The answer generally seems to be 'lol not anymore apple guy'

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have finally beaten IWD1. Debating if I want to try Heart of Winter... or play IWD2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's the influence cap in NWN 2, so I can game it a little

Neeshka likes me, I think Khelgar and Shandra Jerro do too. With Qara I just told her to do her thing every time it came up, but I don't know if it'll be enough for her not to betray me. Elanee is mad jealous of Neeshka even though I'm pretty sure the latter isn't even possible to romance, I'll have to work on that. Bishop is an rear end in a top hat and probably a lost cause anyway.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 28, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Neeshka likes me, I think Khelgar and Shandra Jerro do too. With Qara I just told her to do her thing every time it came up, but I don't know if it'll be enough for her not to betray me. Elanee is mad jealous of Neeshka even though I'm pretty sure the latter isn't even possible to romance, I'll have to work on that. Bishop is an rear end in a top hat and probably a lost cause anyway.

NWN2 spoilers:

I looked up the betrayal mechanic after it blindsided me in the final fight. My understanding is that one of Sand or Qara WILL betray you no matter what, it's just whoever likes you less. Also you should spoiler Shandra's name cause she's such a cool twist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phlegmish posted:

Elaneee is your only romance until Mask, yes.

Neeshka was planned to be an alternative romance, but hers was cut for time. Likewise one male NPC has a half-romance with a female PC that was cut due to time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

NWN2 spoilers:

I looked up the betrayal mechanic after it blindsided me in the final fight. My understanding is that one of Sand or Qara WILL betray you no matter what, it's just whoever likes you less.

That's kind of lame, honestly. I guess it'll be a coin flip, better not get too invested in either of them.

Cythereal posted:

Elaneee is your only romance until Mask, yes.

Neeshka was planned to be an alternative romance, but hers was cut for time. Likewise one male NPC has a half-romance with a female PC that was cut due to time.

poo poo I already blew her off when she asked me about Neeshka, I guess no romance for my mohawk cleric PC

Neeshka really is Annah right down to the dead-end romance.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Durlag's Tower is an excellent dungeon, and the Aec'Letec fight back in Ulgoth's Beard, as well as all the backstabbing assassins the cult deploys around you, is loving loving loving loving loving dumb. If there was a reservation in my mind about not installing the improved AI in SCS on this playthrough, this quashed it.

At least in pen and paper modules you get to roll perception for a chance for your backline to live. Nope, because they spawn in and because True Sight isn't a thing in BG1 you just get to eat a whole bowl of poo poo unless you precast stoneskin. Oh my goodness I'm salty. I'm super ready to crush the ending of chapter 7 at least.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah the invisible assassins that spawn in Ulgoth's Beard are probably the worst thing in the entire BG series imo. I'd slog through the entire length of firewine ruins and thieves maze three times to avoid that poo poo.

I like the Aec'Letec fight though, only complaint there is that the debuff is poorly coded.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Stop by E baldur's gate to cast invisibility on your back line. It lasts 24 hours and the travel time to Ulgoth's beard is 16 hours.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bike tory posted:

Yeah the invisible assassins that spawn in Ulgoth's Beard are probably the worst thing in the entire BG series imo. I'd slog through the entire length of firewine ruins and thieves maze three times to avoid that poo poo.

I like the Aec'Letec fight though, only complaint there is that the debuff is poorly coded.

I was very very upset the second time after beating the demon one of my party exploded into a ghast with no chance to raise meaning I had to do it again. :argh:

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Suspicious posted:

Stop by E baldur's gate to cast invisibility on your back line. It lasts 24 hours and the travel time to Ulgoth's beard is 16 hours.

This guy knows what's up. Going in invisible and finding somewhere quiet to buff is the only way I've been able to do that part reliably. Bait out the backstabs with mages that have mirror image/stoneskin, maybe use a scroll of fireshield and that potion that means you auto-make your saves if you're worried about the casters.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It would've been nice to have the chance to take the potion case full of like 45,000 gold of drinks and the ammo belt full of over 100k gold in arrows out of Imoen's inventory before beginning Siege of Dragonspear. I would have liked to take those into the expansion.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Entropy238 posted:

This guy knows what's up. Going in invisible and finding somewhere quiet to buff is the only way I've been able to do that part reliably. Bait out the backstabs with mages that have mirror image/stoneskin, maybe use a scroll of fireshield and that potion that means you auto-make your saves if you're worried about the casters.

Use those auto save potions for the Aec Letec fight, not the mooks outside.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

It would've been nice to have the chance to take the potion case full of like 45,000 gold of drinks and the ammo belt full of over 100k gold in arrows out of Imoen's inventory before beginning Siege of Dragonspear. I would have liked to take those into the expansion.

Imoen's stuff will be in a chest in the ducal palace later. The same chest also travels with your base camp throughout SoD.

What disappears forever is stuff carried by NPCs who aren't returning, like Kivan and Branwen. So strip them down before leaving the intro dungeon (the game is nice enough to ask you if you're ready to leave).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

pentyne posted:

So BG2 has tons of guides about player builds, tips, play it hardcore strats etc. but it doesnt seem like theres anything comparable for IWD 1 or 2. The second one especially since it does a full switch to 3rd ed rule set and thats wildly different from 2/2.5.
Also my memory may be faulty but isn't IWD2 just really hard in general? Especially at the beginning, when your dudes are level 1 and a couple of arrows from the omnipresent goblins is enough to kill them.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Willie Tomg posted:

Where did you find the ammo belt before Siege of Dragonspear? Is there one in BGEE without mods? I know there's a scroll case with Firebead at Beregost, a gem bag with Neera, and a potion case at High Hedge.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I modded it in somewhere, somehow. I don't remember if it was the tweakpack or EEkeeper, this particular playthrough took a long long time to finish IRL.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zephro posted:

Also my memory may be faulty but isn't IWD2 just really hard in general? Especially at the beginning, when your dudes are level 1 and a couple of arrows from the omnipresent goblins is enough to kill them.

That's sadly true for every D&D game and indeed edition, apart from 4th. BG1 is notorious for early deaths via bandit arrow, and the IWD games are no real exception when a character starts with no more than the mid-teens in HP and potentially as few as 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JustJeff88 posted:

That's sadly true for every D&D game and indeed edition, apart from 4th. BG1 is notorious for early deaths via bandit arrow, and the IWD games are no real exception when a character starts with no more than the mid-teens in HP and potentially as few as 4.

The sole reason Imoen was added to BG1 was to be an ablative meat shield for the first couple of map screens. :v: