Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Just got done discussing playthroughs so far with someone else and they've also had the bizarre issues with checkpoints where some things don't get rolled back. Repeating now - manually save like crazy.

goferchan posted:

I think it's just the games way of tutorializing in the early missions and forcing you to engage with specific mechanics but the inconsistency makes it annoying.

This is the reason why I'm trying to push through. One witness mission (that you described) was scripted so you'd have to confront the guy hanging from the ledge and get a cutscene. The other mission (that I think the other guy was talking about) you somehow manage to punch a guy to death in self-defense and this causes a witness to spawn and run at warp speed towards two lawmen who spawn around the corner. These are both inconsistent with what happens in the world outside of missions. My hope is I hit Chapter 3 and everything becomes consistent instead of the per-mission hidden rules changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
You can save on horseback, at camp or in hotel rooms. If you have to reload you'll respawn a bit away from where you saved with everything intact.

I had nabbed me a legendary animal up around Window Rock and was heading towards the trapper, at his makeshift stand up in the woods. A long ride, but definitely worth it.
En route I came across this feller tracking a bear, so I hopped off my trusty steed and tagged along, just for the hell of it.
Wouldn't you know, he found the bear, freaks out and gets mauled. I'm able to put it down, but not in time to save him. Now, I'm not going to trade my legendary carcass for a messed up bearskin. But it would be nice to bring it along, you know?

So I found his horse a little ways away and calmed it down enough to be able to get the bearskin and myself on it. Then I gave my own horse the command to follow. And it worked! So here I am, a one man/two horse convoy carefully trotting along the narrow paths through the dense forest.

For a little while there I felt like the king of the dirt road. That is, until the wolves attacked. A whole darn pack of 'em. My borrowed horse immediately bucks me off and bolts. No worries, the bear pelt was of poor quality anyway. I finish off the pack with my trusty sawed off while my horse hang back at a sensible distance. Good boy. I skin the first wolf and whistle for him.

There are train tracks. We're on opposite sides. And there's a train a coming, literally 'round the bend. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that in a game of chicken between a horse and a train, the train will win. Every. drat. time.

So yeah. Save often. And watch out for wolves. And trains. I got my horse and my legendary back. But the hunter, his horse and the bear was gone, almost as if they never existed in the first place.

I like this game.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Whenever I kill someone I ride their horse and lasso mine to lead along.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Danith posted:

The only main mission I have now is the one where I go to Blackwater, yet Blackwater is still a red zone. Should I go there anyways or do I need to do more open world stuff before the red zone wears off?

Go there, just stay off the roads. Lawmen are out in force, but you're an outlaw. You'll outsmart them.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I did all of that until the waiting part. Found two guys out back behind like the general store who I said hi to. They said something really lovely so I said something lovely back. They pulled out guns and I pistol whipped both of them; people freaked out. I stood there waiting as the law came. Jail for the night and $6, and my horse was waiting in the morning. Had no idea Javier had something for me! Oh well haha

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just got drunk with Lenny. Woke up, puked my guts out, and the only stamina restoring thing I had was some brandy. Little hair of the dog and I was right as rain.

That mission was amazing, although I guess it could have taken a darker turn if I'd chosen to drown that dude I was dunking in the horse water.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

HatJudge posted:

So I found his horse a little ways away and calmed it down enough to be able to get the bearskin and myself on it. Then I gave my own horse the command to follow. And it worked! So here I am, a one man/two horse convoy carefully trotting along the narrow paths through the dense forest.

I keep wanting to lead a horse, to the other horse and tie the lead on. I guess if I was allowed to do that there'd be people making 100 horse convoys but that wouldn't be that bad a thing. I also think I should be able to store more stuff on horses I'm not riding.

For that matter. If I steal a carriage I should be able to load tons of stuff in there.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Online is going to be grindy as poo poo, but I'm really looking forward to it. Going out on a hunting trip with buddies, causing some mayhem in a saloon. Shits gonna own. Whats the player cap in GTA online? Hoping we can get some decent numbers squeezed onto a server here, the worlds so massive.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm gonna finally cash in the xbox live trial when multiplayer for this comes out.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
hahaha I doubled down on a 16 cent bet in Blackjack and when the dealer got a Blackjack Arthur started screaming

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Uh, those treasure maps? Those things are real good.

I managed to complete one and found 4 gold bars. Those thing sell at 500 bucks a pop.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I am seriously considering trading in my xbox one s for an x. Is it like I can just make a backup on an external drive, and then do an unbackup on the x?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

At a hotel wardrobe or your trunk at camp. Create and save a custom outfit or store pre-made one through the change clothes menu. The button prompts are listed there, just poke around.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Anyone know how to access your journal? I saw it in chapter one and am in chapter 2 now and can't find it for the life of me. I've searched every inch of my living space in the camp and combed through all the menus. I got a message saying "journal updated". But where the hell is it??

titties
May 10, 2012

Wizard Whateley posted:

Anyone know how to access your journal? I saw it in chapter one and am in chapter 2 now and can't find it for the life of me. I've searched every inch of my living space in the camp and combed through all the menus. I got a message saying "journal updated". But where the hell is it??

Hold left on the d-pad

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Saw a doctor amputate some dude’s arm with a saw. No cutaways, no cutscenes, it was there in all it’s gory glory.

GOTY

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are there bugs with the camp item requests? I have Dutch's pipe but there seems to be no way for me to give him the loving thing.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Nolgthorn posted:

I am seriously considering trading in my xbox one s for an x. Is it like I can just make a backup on an external drive, and then do an unbackup on the x?

Don't even have to unbackup. Just move your games to an external hard drive then hook that sucker up to the new system and you can play them as soon as you're logged in. S'what I did.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
When you're in Dead eye, how do you cancel shots?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Okay so how do I unlock stuff in the gunsmith? A lot of the weapons are showing as locked currently which is fair enough, but if I have to find them in the world before they unlock in the gunsmith, why would I ever buy one if I've already picked it up?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I think I can safely say that this is the best video game ever made and at the same time I completely understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

titties posted:

Hold left on the d-pad

Thanks, bud. I swear I googled this poo poo first and got nothing. A lot of this game seems unnecessarily obfuscated. But having the time of my life blundering through it all despite that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What the gently caress random fishing man, I just petted your happy pup and you start shooting me?!

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Uh, those treasure maps? Those things are real good.

I managed to complete one and found 4 gold bars. Those thing sell at 500 bucks a pop.

Yeah doing the Poison and Jack Hill gang maps asap, so you can upgrade the camp for fast travel and such, huge improvement.

But really I was in it for the chicken coop on wheels

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t believe how much stuff is fully animated

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Crabtree posted:

What the gently caress random fishing man, I just petted your happy pup and you start shooting me?!

You probably killed his brother

That's sort of how I justify a lot of what the NPCs in this game do. I'm a bad man.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Will I ever stop targeting people with L2 and pulling my gun on them by accident?

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
The control schemes are in the settings menu. I didn't see them at first, but they're there. Press x/a somewhere in the control settings tab. They're really annoying, cause they cycle between "on foot," "on horseback" and ... "social" (I think) so fast that I struggled to keep up. Had to watch them loop several times before I got all of it

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Found an empty camp and started stealing shut but a dog showed up and wouldn't let me get near.
You win this round, Rockstar.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I pulled a gun on somebody by accident and he didn't flinch, said "so go ahead, do it". Didn't pull his gun on me or anything. That NPC earned my deepest respect.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nolgthorn posted:

I pulled a gun on somebody by accident and he didn't flinch, said "so go ahead, do it". Didn't pull his gun on me or anything. That NPC earned my deepest respect.

He knew the trump future

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

How could he, he's NPC

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Nolgthorn posted:

I keep wanting to lead a horse, to the other horse and tie the lead on. I guess if I was allowed to do that there'd be people making 100 horse convoys but that wouldn't be that bad a thing. I also think I should be able to store more stuff on horses I'm not riding.

Imagine the chaos when a bear attacks and every horse panicks.

Also. Beware of the (gang spoiler) inbred hillpeople. Crafty buggers, the lot of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress it's some cold hard truth when a farmer pulls on you and you have to punch his ticket in front of his kids.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Also I feel like I've got a lot of expensive bounties everywhere due to story missions. Do I have to pay these off because jesus it's a lot of money.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Ugh, Christ, I managed to pick up an Xbox One X in Chennai, India(the electronics district is crazy!), but no one had physical Xbox One copies of the game. Now I’m downloading on the worlds jankiest internet connection. It did 4% of 88GB overnight...

titties
May 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Also I feel like I've got a lot of expensive bounties everywhere due to story missions. Do I have to pay these off because jesus it's a lot of money.

No, kind of. You can give all your money to the gang and then turn yourself in to clear the bounty. If there's a way to take the money back or spend out of the gang's coffers then I haven't discovered it yet.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Pylons posted:

Extremely important tip: Double-tap L1 (or LB) with a revolver out to spin it before you holster it.

That is important. How the hell are people supposed to know this? It isn't covered at all in the tutorial.

Nolgthorn posted:

The jank is pretty bad. I tried to take a sick guy who couldn't walk to the doctor but I needed to chase down my horse because it wandered off and didn't listen to me. When I got back the dude was nowhere to be seen, I was something like 50 meters away.

More Jank:

Saved a game before I made an attempt on collecting a bounty.

Tried the bounty, but it seems that huge, billowing dresses and pointed socialite boots confer infinite stamina, because a woman wearing just that outran my rugged outdoors-man (who doesn't smoke.)

Load game. My hat is gone from my special edition version gunslinger outfit.

:shepicide:

Oh, and bananas don't work to prevent you from being recognized.

Pylons posted:

How do I get perfect quality rabbit pelts? Shooting them with a regular arrow ruins it, and shooting them with a small game arrow doesn't kill them and also ruins it.

Money says it's RNG, or somehow tied to your hunter skill.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 28, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How do I get perfect quality rabbit pelts? Shooting them with a regular arrow ruins it, and shooting them with a small game arrow doesn't kill them and also ruins it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Pylons posted:

I got one by headshotting one with the Varmit Rifle. You can also craft a talisman that raises the quality of all your skins/pelts when you skin.