Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so it says my satchel is full but how do I actually see how much capacity it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

queeb posted:

so it says my satchel is full but how do I actually see how much capacity it has

I also experience this problem. I have exactly 11 out of 17 slots filled, so I certainly have enough inventory space in my provisions tab. Perhaps it's a limit on stacks of game meat? In any case, I'm totally put off from hunting because even an almost empty satchel isn't enough to harvest all the parts of whatever large herbivore I shoot.

So far, all in all this game is pretty bad. Everything I've tried to do so far that is not main quest related is plagued with bugs and jank. Maybe I'll focus on whatever the main story is supposed to be and hope some big patches hit, and fast.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

uncle w benefits posted:

Oh, and bananas don't work to prevent you from being recognized.

Not jank, necessarily. Apparently witnesses can recognise your outfit. Not your horse though, from what I've read.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Nolgthorn posted:

Not jank, necessarily. Apparently witnesses can recognise your outfit. Not your horse though, from what I've read.

:psyduck:

Then what is the point of a bandanna? You can't change your clothes on the fly, and I'd recognize a horse faster than 1 out of 10 filth caked outdoor ruffians.

I get the game has been out for fewer than 60 hours, but nothing so far is at all intuitive, mostly frustrating, and all of my sidequests and non-main quest endeavors have been Janked to the max.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I can't get over the loving scale and atmosphere of this game. Like, everything from RDR that made me amble everywhere for hours helping strangers, looking behind rocks and in burned out buildings and towns....it's all there, but better.

It's loving stunning.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Pylons posted:

How do I get perfect quality rabbit pelts? Shooting them with a regular arrow ruins it, and shooting them with a small game arrow doesn't kill them and also ruins it.

Read the compendium. Its not arrows, its varmint rifle. Each animal has a specific type of weapon that preserves its pelt. Also use the binoculars to check the quality of the animal before you go hunting (kinds hard to do with rabbits, but works really well for deer, bison, things you can see from afar).

I am really loving the hunting in this game now that i have a general idea of the systems. Packing supplies and going to the middle of nowhere, reading up and preparing for a specific target, tracking and finally getting that perfect hit (dead eye shows the locations that will give you a instant kill with animals, which if you dont hit will reduce the pelt quality and wound it). Just plopping a camp and leaving your horse there with coffee brewing while you go hunt feels so good.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2018

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The bandanna is a good idea, you don't want people immediately knowing who you are. But if there's a shopkeeper who just sold you what you're wearing then the bandanna won't help you as much as if you're new to town for example.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

uncle w benefits posted:

:psyduck:

Then what is the point of a bandanna? You can't change your clothes on the fly, and I'd recognize a horse faster than 1 out of 10 filth caked outdoor ruffians.

I get the game has been out for fewer than 60 hours, but nothing so far is at all intuitive, mostly frustrating, and all of my sidequests and non-main quest endeavors have been Janked to the max.

Yeah, you can. You can store up to 4 outfits besides your custom one on your horse through your wardrobe at camp or at a hotel room. You can swap on the fly from the Horse menu.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, you can. You can store up to 4 outfits besides your custom one on your horse through your wardrobe at camp or at a hotel room. You can swap on the fly from the Horse menu.

Also, the bandana does work for small crimes, but if you've been wearing the same outfit in the area of ages you'll get identified on larger crimes. I changed my outfit before robbing a back room and they didn't know who I was. Looks like you can get away with it quite a bit.

Also, in your horse menu you can find a full face mask rather than a bandana. Not sure what the difference is though?

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

How do I get perfect quality rabbit pelts? Shooting them with a regular arrow ruins it, and shooting them with a small game arrow doesn't kill them and also ruins it.

Use your binoculars to study (R1) the animal and see what quality it is. Then kill it with the appropriate weapon. Varmint rifle or small game arrows for smaller animals. Rifles with scopes or poison arrows for the big ones.

The inventory is based on stacks. So before you upgrade your satchel you can only carry 5 of each type of meat. However, when you cook the meat you can use spices/plants to cook five stacks of each taste. Sell, cook or donate the raw meats whenever you get the chance and you shouldn't have a problem with space

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

HatJudge posted:

Use your binoculars to study (R1) the animal and see what quality it is.

You can also study the animal just by looking at it as long as you are within a certain distance. Tagging animals with a binocular also allows you to tell the animal tracks apart when in the weird detective mode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Ugh, Christ, I managed to pick up an Xbox One X in Chennai, India(the electronics district is crazy!), but no one had physical Xbox One copies of the game. Now I’m downloading on the worlds jankiest internet connection. It did 4% of 88GB overnight...

If it makes you feel better I don't think my physical installation was all that much faster. :smithicide:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Oh, and it's nice that the effect of all talismans stack no matter which one you have on.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I'm loving the game, I don't get the people complaining about everything. The only thing I didn't like is that you can't cut hogtied people's throats like in RDR1.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I’m wearing a bear’s head as a hat and my horse, Vercingetorix, is carrying me across the plains.

GOTY

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Wow, I can't believe there are essentially warlocks in this game. I won't spoil too much, but I found a coven of magick practitioners on a strange jaunt away from the main stays. This is incredible. Never thought Cowboy 2 would be me shooting down some witches lobbing fireballs at me.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you can also examine an animal before you kill it to figure out the 'base' quality of the people before you start filling it with holes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I know the trapper exists; should I go and find him if I have some perfect skins or should I wait for the story to take me there? I just changed camps

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think you can just sell them at the butcher.

Robbed the back room, sheriffs were waiting for me outside. Lots of shooting. Probably not allowed back in that town anymore.

Game is great.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 28, 2018

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Rockstar, you clever gents.

This game has cheat codes. They're in the in game newspapers you buy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaa Boogie posted:

Rockstar, you clever gents.

This game has cheat codes. They're in the in game newspapers you buy.

Goddamn

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why the gently caress when two outlaws go into a bar and cause trouble by slamming a dudes head into the bar do I get shot by every patron for tossing them out.

I chucked one out a window and was like haha this game is great then all the friendly people inside filled me with lead and I was like this game loving sucks.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 28, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If your horse dies do you need to get another horse and then go back to transfer your items? Or do they transfer automatically?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Uhh, after the free Micah mission I can't seem to go anywhere without bounty hunters attacking me and the more I kill them the higher my bounty goes. It's sitting at 175 right now and I can't afford that!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

uncle w benefits posted:

I also experience this problem. I have exactly 11 out of 17 slots filled, so I certainly have enough inventory space in my provisions tab. Perhaps it's a limit on stacks of game meat? In any case, I'm totally put off from hunting because even an almost empty satchel isn't enough to harvest all the parts of whatever large herbivore I shoot.

I think it's animal fat and / or stacks of meat that the game is talking about when you get that message. You can only carry 5 of each type of uncooked meat. EVentually you can upgrade your satchel to hold more body parts

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think I'ma rename my horse from Pony to Lenny cause god drat does he kill a lot of rabbits. It's like he has some sort of bloodlust that will not be satisfied. He's responsible for 3 dead people and like 13 rabbits.

He did take a poo poo on the first bounty I did though, so it's not all bad.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I love how the game doesnt show you how beautiful it looks until an hour in.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I love how the game doesnt show you how beautiful it looks until an hour in.

That snowy mountaintop was pretty as hell, good sir. :colbert:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

to the guy that posted you can reset bounties by just turning yourself in to authorities, thank you. I snuck into town and bought a bunch of upgrades, had next to no money, then just waltzed up to a lawman and put my hands up and surrendered. spent a night in jail and now i'm a goodboy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Deadule posted:

I reloaded again and the objectives came back. What ya gonna do.

I had a couple of random encounters with the KKK, and they were exactly the kind of thing that can help me love this game I want to love so much.

That mission must be a weird one because apparently, in my experience, if you take too long to get an oil tank (no idea if it's measured in in-game time or missions completed) John gets fed up with waiting and gets one himself, and gives you poo poo for it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I spent like 20 minutes at the general store browsing vests. Game owns. Is there any way to try on from all categories or do I have to go back to the catalog to switch from pants to boots?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

vandalism posted:

I spent like 20 minutes at the general store browsing vests. Game owns. Is there any way to try on from all categories or do I have to go back to the catalog to switch from pants to boots?

I know with the gun store, you can ask to see the gun and he brings it out and puts it on the desk. Maybe it's the same with the general store. I don't remember there being a button but I wasn't interested in clothes or trying them on at the time.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

insane anime posted:

Wow, I can't believe there are essentially warlocks in this game. I won't spoil too much, but I found a coven of magick practitioners on a strange jaunt away from the main stays. This is incredible. Never thought Cowboy 2 would be me shooting down some witches lobbing fireballs at me.

Use spoiler tags you weeaboo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There’s just too much drat galloping in this game, I just want to get to a town from the rear end end of a map dammit, I’ve got deer to sell

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

took me forever to realize you sell pelts/skins to the butcher and not in the general store

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Calaveron posted:

There’s just too much drat galloping in this game, I just want to get to a town from the rear end end of a map dammit, I’ve got deer to sell

If you jump onto a train from your horse, your horse will seemingly ride alongside you for what seems like forever with infinite stamina

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turned out my game was in fact bugged out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm not really far enough in the story to speak to the writing overall, but:

This game has, by FAR, the best dialogue of any R* game I've played. In the past R* got praised for their writing, but the conversations felt terrible. Completely disjointed. Like two complete strangers talking for the first time and their lines were each written by two different writers rooms on opposite coasts.

This time the people on story missions speak like they know each other and when Arthur talks to a stranger you can tell he's never talked to them before. It's like they hired somebody who has actually experienced a human conversation before.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

goferchan posted:

That mission must be a weird one because apparently, in my experience, if you take too long to get an oil tank (no idea if it's measured in in-game time or missions completed) John gets fed up with waiting and gets one himself, and gives you poo poo for it.

I tried to steal it like ten times and walked away in disgust then John gave me poo poo and I was like fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

can i put my secondary holster on my side or is it always on my front?