Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I would've assumed that the problem with gestalts having corporate outposts is that gestalts can already buy anything they want on the Galactic Market, and would therefore have no need for trade enclaves. Even the analogy to consumer goods Splicer sets out above would be traded at the empire level, rather than to the individual drones of a Hive Mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Aethernet posted:

I would've assumed that the problem with gestalts having corporate outposts is that gestalts can already buy anything they want on the Galactic Market, and would therefore have no need for trade enclaves. Even the analogy to consumer goods Splicer sets out above would be traded at the empire level, rather than to the individual drones of a Hive Mind.

Ah, but a Hive mind can trade with other hive minds, and what is an individual but a hive mind unto itself?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technical Analysis posted:

Ah, but a Hive mind can trade with other hive minds, and what is an individual but a hive mind unto itself?

Sort of like suggesting that humans as a species should trade with a single bacterium.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Aye, that's a fair point. None of that stuff requires building branches, it would all be government level.

All in all this seems to make megacorps and gestalts natural enemies. Not only are the gestalts taking up space you might want, they're taking up space a more commercially amenable Empire could be using.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 28, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Sort of like suggesting that humans as a species should trade with a single bacterium.
Well, not a single one, but we work with them all the time: that's how for instance booze happens

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
New game, xenophile-pacifist-egalitarian butterflies. Start in the northeast corner. The east side of the galaxy is mostly empty, with three fallen empires hemming in the southeastern nations, so vast areas of space are unclaimed. I spread tendrils west and south, becoming quite large. South of my western arm I finally meet the Rixi, a representative democracy using eagle-like portraits. We form a federation and the Rixi immediately set off spreading freedom and democracy with bombs. I don't have anywhere near their fleet strength yet so I just send my little corvette groups to hold chokepoints and intercept reinforcements while Literally Space America does its thing. I am Canada. In space.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

isndl posted:

Seems to me like that's the sort of thing where the gestalt can construct districts for the sole purpose of generating trade value, these knickknacks may have literally no function inside the gestalt society but if they can use them to further diplomacy then why not?

Because megacorps want to build offices on the strongest possible planets, so those districts are either gonna be underperforming or overperforming and itll be hard to strike a balance. And it would be pretty lame for a gestalt to get huge trade value simply by wanting it when other civs have to develop it with starbase networks and stuff.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 28, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i could see rogue servitors having a commerce-like system, although they'd interact with it differently than anyone else

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Rumda posted:

Paradox are having a sale on thier store including apocalypse 33% off and distant stars at 25

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/on-sale/

WinGameStore/MacGameStore (safe stores) has it for even cheaper.
https://isthereanydeal.com/waitlist/?by=cut:desc#/page:game/info?plain=stellarisapocalypse

Edit: And now all I'm missing is distant stars. Is it worth the price?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 28, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Distant Stars is fantastic if you like having more multi-step anomalies. And a bunch of normal anomalies in general.

Also space ameoba buddy :3:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man space amoeba buddy sounds good.

Also, I just unsubscribed from my 30+ mods because it's been so long since the last time I played. Is there a list of essentials up?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Because megacorps want to build offices on the strongest possible planets, so those districts are either gonna be underperforming or overperforming and itll be hard to strike a balance. And it would be pretty lame for a gestalt to get huge trade value simply by wanting it when other civs have to develop it with starbase networks and stuff.

Where a megacorp wants to build offices is a strategic decision, it doesn't necessarily need to be whatever provides the most raw value. Maybe they want to use it to build opinion for other diplomatic actions, or simply project trade in that direction because of empires behind them.

Nobody said that the Gestalt should be better at building trade than a regular empire, they could have severe penalties to reflect the inefficiencies of a command economy. It just seems odd to completely lock them out of participating at all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Anticheese posted:

Nah. Mechanics spoilers: But if you ever disassemble robots or give them the domestic protocols trait, that chance goes way up.

I'd do the same frankly.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Thyrork posted:

I'd do the same frankly.

Suddenly I want to mod in an event chain based on Westworld.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I haven't played this since a quick shufty just after apocalypse came out, and poo poo has changed. Is there a decent guide anywhere to the changes between whatever version that was and whatever it is now? I suspect that rolling with a single doomstack might be less necessary than it was before, for one thing, and I'm curious if weapons and stuff have been rebalanced. Also, is the intention now that you just plop starbases in every system, effectively? If I colonise a planet in a system can I then junk that systems base? Can the bases even be destroyed? A pirate fleet totally steamrolled one of mine, but it regenerated from 1hp back to full strength without me doing anything.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Technical Analysis posted:

Honestly, I can see a tech series based around non-hive minds trading with hive minds, as in 'understanding how a gestalt thinks, etc.'

People love to decorate themselves and their surroundings, so why not a hive mind?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The gestalts already have some individuality as seen by their leaders and the divergences that lead to pirates. It isn't too much of a stretch to believe that the individual members of a hive or machine intelligence would have some preferences.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

(This is normally a colony event, I fired it on Earth by console)

Ok but can we get one where we elect a space-whale or space-amoeba to the gover-

:hmmyes:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Space Canada has done its job too well.

The galaxy is split mostly 50/50 between two federations. There's one non-fallen independent empire left. Everyone is too goddamned friendly now, my allies keep voting no on war declarations.

So how do I make them mad enough to keep kicking over the other federation's members.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Considering what year it is, I think you'll have something fun to do soon. :unsmigghh:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Thyrork posted:

Considering what year it is, I think you'll have something fun to do soon. :unsmigghh:

You did this.

edit: RIP "Bubbles," the amoeba titan. You served me well for over a century.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 29, 2018

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Are there any goon race packs or something like that to populate my games?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Luminous Cow posted:

there have been past attempts but they never get maintained throughout new patches so who knows if they're still compatible at this point

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Brother Entropy posted:

there have been past attempts but they never get maintained throughout new patches so who knows if they're still compatible at this point

I started a new game as fanatical spiritual xenophobes thinking it would be unique and almost every race I've encountered is some form of spiritual. So annoying.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Luminous Cow posted:

There is a mod that still works, I think it's called "Friends Like These"

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Pipski posted:

I haven't played this since a quick shufty just after apocalypse came out, and poo poo has changed. Is there a decent guide anywhere to the changes between whatever version that was and whatever it is now? I suspect that rolling with a single doomstack might be less necessary than it was before, for one thing, and I'm curious if weapons and stuff have been rebalanced. Also, is the intention now that you just plop starbases in every system, effectively? If I colonise a planet in a system can I then junk that systems base? Can the bases even be destroyed? A pirate fleet totally steamrolled one of mine, but it regenerated from 1hp back to full strength without me doing anything.

You own a system if you have a starbase in it. You decommission the starbase, you lose the system, and any planets in it. And yes, being 'destroyed' by being shot at just disables it for a while. In a war doing so will 'occupy' it, though you'll also need to occupy any planets in the system if you want to capture it. You'll also need to make a 'claim' on it to actually get it after a war though, if that's what you want to do, there's a claims button in your top bar that will let you do that.

You can put starbases in all the systems you like as this is how you expand your territory now but it'll cost influence to build them (just no influence upkeep but there is an energy one) and your researches become gradually more expensive with each you build. Starbases can then be upgraded to things you can put guns and modules on, replacing the old defensive bases, but you've got a limit for these based on your population.

Also doomstacks still kinda exist but you'll just have more than one of them generally since there's both a fleet size limit and naval capacity. As for weapons, yeah they've been rebalanced a bunch. Armor is now a third health bar rather than a damage reduction stat, and lasers are good against armor but not against shields, kinetics are good against shields but less so against armor, missiles are strong against armor and hull and bypass shields. They're also quite fast now and can track other targets after their primary one is destroyed, but they kinda suffer from a low fire rate and travel time. There's a bunch of other weapons with mostly balanced, though missiles are really powerful early on before point defense picks up.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 29, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

binge crotching posted:

There is a mod that still works, I think it's called "Friends Like These"

Yep.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1314848686&searchtext=friends+like+these

Some of the empires won't load/can't be selected because dependent mods aren't 2.0 compatible, but the vast majority of them work.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I noticed some fuckery in my last game regarding border adjacency: I couldn't offer a protectorate deal to a tiny two system empire because they "weren't adjacent" even though they clearly were. Turns out if they expand to you the game doesn't think you're adjacent until you change your borders and force a recalc. Claiming a new system on the other end of the empire worked, but later when they had rebels and became a different empire I had to force a recalc again and there were no empty systems left to claim, so I disbanded an outpost and immediately replaced it - as bonus, if you do it while the game is paused, you can queue up the new outpost before the system leaves your control so it costs zero influence to rebuild it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

isndl posted:

I noticed some fuckery in my last game regarding border adjacency: I couldn't offer a protectorate deal to a tiny two system empire because they "weren't adjacent" even though they clearly were. Turns out if they expand to you the game doesn't think you're adjacent until you change your borders and force a recalc.

Well, this explains all those times I couldn't rival my neighbour empires because the game claimed they weren't adjacent.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I had a kind of funny bug / feature happen in my last game; my luxury gay space communism xenophiles offered to integrate a hive mind (or gestalt maybe, unclear on the difference). They agreed. I paid for a few years, my borders changed and all their pops were set to purge!

I couldn’t change anything to fix it - purging was outlawed, default rights for all were turbo deluxe full citizenship for all.

I didn’t get any maluses for it at least and their quickly deserted planets filled with all sorts of species. But it was weird to have a genocide on my hands that the other party enthusiastically agreed to.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bettik posted:

I had a kind of funny bug / feature happen in my last game; my luxury gay space communism xenophiles offered to integrate a hive mind (or gestalt maybe, unclear on the difference). They agreed. I paid for a few years, my borders changed and all their pops were set to purge!

I couldn’t change anything to fix it - purging was outlawed, default rights for all were turbo deluxe full citizenship for all.

I didn’t get any maluses for it at least and their quickly deserted planets filled with all sorts of species. But it was weird to have a genocide on my hands that the other party enthusiastically agreed to.

Way back I had the reverse happen to me when some Human survivors wanted to join my robot empire. Though I already knew where this would be going and refused. They continued to be loyal vassals to the bitter end.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bettik posted:

Shitposting gets to you, especially when you're a hive mind.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

If you could somehow work out a society that collapsed because they became so obsessed about castration that governments of the planet needed to expand more and more of their civil servants to keep track of who deserves to be castrated or not to the point of societal collapse...

http://spacespy.thecomicseries.com/comics/27

EFB, but check it out anyway. At least until they get out of the invisible zone.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 29, 2018

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Hive mind pops cannot exist in a non gestalt empire. Either they die off or you genemod them to individuals. The latter might require gene ascescion though.

Edit: that'll teach me for not reloading the page before replying

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Bettik posted:

(or gestalt maybe, unclear on the difference)

Gestalt consciousness is the ethic choice that then lets you choose between either hive mind or machine intelligence. All hives are gestalts, not all gestalts are hives.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Hive mind pops cannot exist in a non gestalt empire. Either they die off or you genemod them to individuals. The latter might require gene ascescion though.

Edit: that'll teach me for not reloading the page before replying

I always thought this was a bit of a shame. I like the idea of free borg joining my empire.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I kind of think there should be an option for more direct control of hive minds, rather than just killing them all or vassalising them. You should be able to integrate them directly into a single sector of which the Hive Mind is the 'governor', and which expands if you colonise a new world using drones.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

I kind of think there should be an option for more direct control of hive minds, rather than just killing them all or vassalising them. You should be able to integrate them directly into a single sector of which the Hive Mind is the 'governor', and which expands if you colonise a new world using drones.
Or a faction that's just called what the hive mind is called, can't be moved into or out of, and has its own hive mind faction goals.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Deuce posted:

You did this.

edit: RIP "Bubbles," the amoeba titan. You served me well for over a century.

Oh such horrors await. :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Or a faction that's just called what the hive mind is called, can't be moved into or out of, and has its own hive mind faction goals.

I like this, not least because it opens up the question of how many votes a Hive Mind should have.